ESPN love fest

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bosy Billups

ESPN love fest

Post by Bosy Billups »

Very odd, there's an absolute love fest all night on college gameday for Ayton, Arizona, the program, cutting down the nets. Getting far more coverage than Duke, Virginia, UNC, Ke tucky. Admittedly, they have not mentioned Miller once. But Bilas et all are goo goo for Arizona, hyping as much as this board.

Why?

Do they know something and trying to earn back a fan base that pulls ratings? Or are they building the hype train expecting an early departure to pin that on the distraction Miller created?

Very strange. Something is afoot.
CalStateTempe

Re: ESPN love fest

Post by CalStateTempe »

Where are you seeing this?
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

I agree. It feels almost surreal.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

College Gamenight Tournament Marathon... all the big names are probably done for the night. Was a 3 hour show. Zona dominated it
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Question: are they burning in hell?
Answer: no

Not watching
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Kentucky getting no love on ESPN. Everyone's divided into two groups: Those who pick Virginia, and those who pick Arizona. The awe for Virginia is the only thing getting in the way of everyone picking Arizona for the Final Four. If not for that, they all generally agree that Arizona is really 1-seed in a 4-seed's bracket.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Why? Because they want to jinx us.

FUCK THEM. FUCK THEM ALL.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Not a good sign when all the boneheads are picking us to win a bunch.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Not a good sign when all the boneheads are picking us to win a bunch.
Yeah, how come that never hurts Duke?
Beefcurtainsandwich

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Not a good sign when all the boneheads are picking us to win a bunch.
Nailed it bitches
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

JMarkJohns wrote:Question: are they burning in hell?
Answer: no

Not watching
I would have spit out my coffee but its late and I wasn't drinking any...

It does call for an "Effin Birds"quote though:

Bwahaha
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Are they trying to avoid the lawsuit by blowing sunshine up where the sun don't shine?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

This board just cracks me up. :lol:

Arizona fans are the best. We are self deprecating. We take our team and program serious but we aren't arrogant (arguable). We know what we are. But....don't fuck with us.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Longhorned wrote:
Yeah, how come that never hurts Duke?
Refs have the power to unjinx. Power comes from of old and is wielded through their ceremonial shrill birdcall and can be enhanced when swallowed.
-Norlander.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Are they trying to avoid the lawsuit by blowing sunshine up where the sun don't shine?
There is not going to be a lawsuit...they know this...it s really difficult to prove malice...however there has been a generational shift in TV broadcast and ESPN is late to the party...the cord-cutting generation is here and they rode in on Kodi...

Viewership is still the driving metric even in dying empires...and with Reddit and Twitter and fans following athletes directly when you shit on a team you have just shit on your viewers and the ship they are riding in...

I honestly think the push back on reddit and social media to Mark "Gone Missing" Schlabachs bullshit article found its way up the ladder to someone in DIsney...and they said "You guys better fix this or we'll find someone who can"...

Not wanting to admit wrong and hoping we forget a rim job has ensued...but make no mistake the hatred on both sides is still very real.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Seth Greenberg just did some bracket analysis with Kenny Mayne and had us hanging a banner. Going with the chip on our shoulder through all the adversity theory basically.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Are they trying to avoid the lawsuit by blowing sunshine up where the sun don't shine?
There is not going to be a lawsuit...they know this...it s really difficult to prove malice...however there has been a generational shift in TV broadcast and ESPN is late to the party...the cord-cutting generation is here and they rode in on Kodi...

Viewership is still the driving metric even in dying empires...and with Reddit and Twitter and fans following athletes directly when you shit on a team you have just shit on your viewers and the ship they are riding in...

I honestly think the push back on reddit and social media to Mark "Gone Missing" Schlabachs bullshit article found its way up the ladder to someone in DIsney...and they said "You guys better fix this or we'll find someone who can"...

Not wanting to admit wrong and hoping we forget a rim job has ensued...but make no mistake the hatred on both sides is still very real.
Miller doesn’t need to prove actual malice. Only reckless neglect: like sitting on a Story because you can’t confirm it for a few days, getting scooped by rival media on two huge stories, and then saying fuck it and running an unsubstantiated, third-person, hearsay, anaonymous report that decimates a coach and program with nothing of proof to separate the days earlier better judgment and the now need to slander.

Every single person on that site who made a proclaim of guilt or consequence was guilty of reckless neglect, where the “can’t-be-undone” nature of fallout is weighed against the public’s need to know which is weighed against the reporting entity’s responsibility to reasonable journalism ethics.

If ESPN sat on the story for a few days then only ran it after Yahoo scooped them and nothing as far as first hand knowledge or confirmation by other sources took place, that’s your goddamn defamation case giftwrapped.

And Josh Gershon of 247 at least hints ESPN had the story for longer than Friday.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Bristol needs to focus on getting its own backyard in order. Starting with the Kevin Ollie firing at Storrs.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Bosy Billups wrote:Very odd, there's an absolute love fest all night on college gameday for Ayton, Arizona, the program, cutting down the nets. Getting far more coverage than Duke, Virginia, UNC, Ke tucky. Admittedly, they have not mentioned Miller once. But Bilas et all are goo goo for Arizona, hyping as much as this board.

Why?

Do they know something and trying to earn back a fan base that pulls ratings? Or are they building the hype train expecting an early departure to pin that on the distraction Miller created?

Very strange. Something is afoot.
It's not only ESPN. I've had FOX Sports radio on the past two evenings and guess what team is by far the most talked about? Yep, very strange to see Arizona leading with so much coverage. I don't think it's any sort of side-conspiracy, but more so our coverage is a spill over of the drama with which Arizona a few weeks ago captivated attention away from NBA & NFL headlines, and also, over the past month Ayton has really been nationally discovered as a rare, program-lifting talent. Announcers and analyst really love talking about Ayton.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

JMarkJohns wrote:Miller doesn’t need to prove actual malice. Only reckless neglect: like sitting on a Story because you can’t confirm it for a few days, getting scooped by rival media on two huge stories, and then saying fuck it and running an unsubstantiated, third-person, hearsay, anaonymous report that decimates a coach and program with nothing of proof to separate the days earlier better judgment and the now need to slander.

Every single person on that site who made a proclaim of guilt or consequence was guilty of reckless neglect, where the “can’t-be-undone” nature of fallout is weighed against the public’s need to know which is weighed against the reporting entity’s responsibility to reasonable journalism ethics.

If ESPN sat on the story for a few days then only ran it after Yahoo scooped them and nothing as far as first hand knowledge or confirmation by other sources took place, that’s your goddamn defamation case giftwrapped.

And Josh Gershon of 247 at least hints ESPN had the story for longer than Friday.
As an example... and please don't reply with political commentary, this is just an example...

On Thursday, June 22, it published an article on its website, reporting that a Senate committee was investigating alleged ties between a Russian-government investment fund and people associated with Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.

The article said that federal investigators were looking into a January meeting between then-White House adviser Anthony Scaramucci and the fund’s director, a Russian national named Kirill Dmitriev. The story was based on information from an anonymous source.

By late the next day, its reporting under fire, CNN took some extraordinary steps: It retracted the story and apologized to Scaramucci. In the article’s place, a brief editor’s note said that the story “did not meet CNN’s editorial standards” and had been removed. It didn’t say that the story was wrong.

On June 26, a Monday, the news organization did something even more remarkable: It asked for and accepted the resignations of the three journalists — one a Pulitzer Prize winner, another a Pulitzer finalist — who were principally responsible for reporting and editing the article.

I know we can all gripe about this news network or the other... again please just use this as an example of what a news program does when you threaten the livelihood of a public official based on a single or narrow set of anonymous sources. The upshot of the CNN story was that it was eventually corroborated. It didn't matter at the time though because the original story was released without meeting editorial standards.

That's the kind of thing you do when you realize you've stepped over the line as a news organization - you take extraordinary steps, even if you may have been right, to rectify.

Maybe ESPN is going down that line... it seems likely that Mark S. is on leave or something to that effect. I mean, his job is pushing out content and he's been silent for more than two weeks. If he's not presently relieved of his job... well I couldn't tell the difference.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I like our team, but I feel like we're getting too much hype right now. We're a contender, but I don't see a favorite in the South unless it's UVA. They've been too good to say anyone else is the favorite.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I like our team, but I feel like we're getting too much hype right now. We're a contender, but I don't see a favorite in the South unless it's UVA. They've been too good to say anyone else is the favorite.
UVA is getting serious disrespect. First by the selection committee, and now the resulting pile-on by the media. And I really do think the committee is carrying through an agenda at Virginia's expense, and that agenda is the revenue-driven justification of including Trae Young, especially in setting up his match against Duke.

If pre-conference records are what matters, then Arizona has to be the weakest four seed. Then everyone in the world looks at the south bracket and says, "Ayton! Ayton! Ayton! Ayton!!!!!"
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

There has been no public explanation from ESPN for Schlabach's silence on social media. ESPN waded into this mess, created this mess. Other major media outlets should pose the question to ESPN. Nobody is above reproach.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

It's funny because that story (YDF is referencing) turned out to be true

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/ ... 0277331968" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote:It's funny because that story (YDF is referencing) turned out to be true

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/ ... 0277331968" target="_blank
Yep - that's the kicker. They were right and it didn't matter, because the reporting wasn't sourced well enough to stand on.

Can't rush a story that will ruin someone's career.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I like our team, but I feel like we're getting too much hype right now. We're a contender, but I don't see a favorite in the South unless it's UVA. They've been too good to say anyone else is the favorite.
UVA is getting serious disrespect. First by the selection committee, and now the resulting pile-on by the media. And I really do think the committee is carrying through an agenda at Virginia's expense, and that agenda is the revenue-driven justification of including Trae Young, especially in setting up his match against Duke.

If pre-conference records are what matters, then Arizona has to be the weakest four seed. Then everyone in the world looks at the south bracket and says, "Ayton! Ayton! Ayton! Ayton!!!!!"
Yeah. UVA is very unsexy, but they win a lot for a reason. I secretly hope they get upset in the round of 32, bc if we get to the Sweet 16, they are a tough, tough out. I think we're as well situated as anyone vs them bc we have some guys who can hit the tough ones, and UVA certainly makes you take tough ones.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

If they love us so much, then why are they not arguing that Arizona should be 3 seed or even a 2 seed in San Diego? Instead they worry about agreeing who should have been the last-four-in. They just can't deny Ayton anymore (who is at the top of the Draft board) and they don't want to be left out of his future success. It's all about finances.

Over the last three months, all they have done is talk about Bridges, Young, Bagley, etc and for the most part have ignore the Ayton factor because "Arizona lost three in a row in his hometown, so he must not be that good".

The writing has been on wall for the past couple years that ESPN is falling on hard times. They have bit off more than they can chew this time. Their quality of programing has diminished and it's only a matter of time when it all falls apart. Whenever the FBI divulges their NCAA basketball findings, don't be surprised that ESPN is in the middle of all the bribery charges when all is said and done. Can you imagine the FBI showing up to Vitals' home for a little talk one day and what his tweets would then say? "Oh baby, get me a Diaper Dandy before I crap my pants."

Their just waiting for Arizona to lose in the tourney, god forbid, and then go back to dumping all over Miller and Arizona. They won't blame Ayton, because they still want to be on his good side for now.

Let me go barf now. Then let's watch Arizona go destroy the field the best they can.

One final note. Has Arizona even peaked this year yet? I don't think we have ever had all cylinders going at once yet. Forget the revenge factor or having a chip on our shoulder, if things start clicking from all angles, watch out! ... and not because ESPN said so.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Kyle Guy and the ghosts of man bun past + Ty Jerome about to dominate after all the disrespect
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

11 ESPNers picking AZ in the Final 4

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... tournament" target="_blank

Mark Schlabach: Virginia, North Carolina, Villanova, Michigan State
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:11 ESPNers picking AZ in the Final 4

According to unnamed sources recorded by wiretap, Schlabach (allegedly) discussed getting paid 25K by Roy Williams to predict UNC for the FF. Allegedly. Note: no actual sources were used in the creation of this report.
Beefcurtainsandwich

Jefe wrote:11 ESPNers picking AZ in the Final 4

I thought he was dead!?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Why he no tweet?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I turned on ESPN1000 on my way home, figuring I’d get some Cubs and Bulls draft talk.

Instead Mike fucking Wilbon was on talking about how if we thought “the Deandre Ayton situation” was bad, just wait for legalized sports gambling. “The $100k Ayton got” will be chump change in comparison to what gamblers will be willing to pay.

Notwithstanding the fact that his point made zero fucking sense, fuck Mike Wilbon and fuck ESPN. Fuck each and every one of them.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
prh

Post by prh »

Any espn thread deserves to be in arch rivals
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:I turned on ESPN1000 on my way home, figuring I’d get some Cubs and Bulls draft talk.

Instead Mike fucking Wilbon was on talking about how if we thought “the Deandre Ayton situation” was bad, just wait for legalized sports gambling. “The $100k Ayton got” will be chump change in comparison to what gamblers will be willing to pay.

Notwithstanding the fact that his point made zero fucking sense, fuck Mike Wilbon and fuck ESPN. Fuck each and every one of them.

Mike Wilbon added to espn list of shame eh. Won't be watching him anymore.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:I turned on ESPN1000 on my way home, figuring I’d get some Cubs and Bulls draft talk.

Wilbon's aware Las Vegas has existed for a while, right?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Apparently not.

Also, someone who is now able to put a $10 bet down on their favorite hometown team is going to get a tough guy with a crooked nose named Tony the Finger to drop off a suitcase of cash to the local college arena locker room.

Wilbon is a joke. He said he’s never placed a bet in his life because betting “just doesn’t do it for” him. Then he spouts off with these opinions on sports wagering that are straight out of a cheesy movie as if he knows all the inside dirt.

So Ayton is dirty, and he’d be even dirtier if gambling was legal. What a fucking world when someone can go on the radio in the third largest media market in the country and totally rip apart a kid he’s never met and obviously knows nothing about.

I repeat: Fuck Mike Wilbon
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Apparently not.

Also, someone who is now able to put a $10 bet down on their favorite hometown team is going to get a tough guy with a crooked nose named Tony the Finger to drop off a suitcase of cash to the local college arena locker room.

Wilbon is a joke. He said he’s never placed a bet in his life because betting “just doesn’t do it for” him. Then he spouts off with these opinions on sports wagering that are straight out of a cheesy movie as if he knows all the inside dirt.

So Ayton is dirty, and he’d be even dirtier if gambling was legal. What a fucking world when someone can go on the radio in the third largest media market in the country and totally rip apart a kid he’s never met and obviously knows nothing about.

I repeat: Fuck Mike Wilbon
Except for 3 people fuck all of espn
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Surely Miller and or Ayton is about to drop that big defamation lawsuit on them any day now right? maybe make it a class action lawsuit to include all Miller fans?

Spiff is due at least a few hundred for the amazing mental gymnastics he attempts while defending Millers track record
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

RiseAndFire wrote:Surely Miller and or Ayton is about to drop that big defamation lawsuit on them any day now right? maybe make it a class action lawsuit to include all Miller fans?

Spiff is due at least a few hundred for the amazing mental gymnastics he attempts while defending Millers track record

:roll:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

RiseAndFire wrote:Surely Miller and or Ayton is about to drop that big defamation lawsuit on them any day now right? maybe make it a class action lawsuit to include all Miller fans?

Rise, are you looking forward to ayton playing for the Suns? I guess I'm not sure if you are a sun's fan but for some reason I think you are.
-Norlander.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Stop :!: Quoting :!: Trolls :!:
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Just for YDF. :lol:
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I have to say, being the only poster named in here will always have a special place in my heart.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I have to say, being the only poster named in here will always have a special place in my heart.
Congratulations Spiff. However, I'm woefully disappointed in not being called out myself by the Asshat of the Internet.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

Peace out Jeff Goodman!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

They can all burn in Hell.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Congratulations Spiff. However, I'm woefully disappointed in not being called out myself by the Asshat of the Internet.
You just have to keep kissing Miller's butt and believing. That's been my formula for success.

Forget Goodman, I want Schlabach.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Fuck Goodman, Fuck Schlabach, Fuck Vitale, Fuck ESPN. to hell with them all...fuck 'em.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Fuck Goodman, Fuck Schlabach, Fuck Vitale, Fuck ESPN. to hell with them all...fuck 'em.
This is my sort of post!