Deandre Ayton

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Deandre Ayton

Post by ChooChooCat »

Puma hired Jay-Z as the president of its basketball line, which would explain just about every thing in regards to who they're landing.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Nike must be upset but what are they gonna do? :lol:
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ChooChooCat wrote:Puma hired Jay-Z as the president of its basketball line, which would explain just about every thing in regards to who they're landing.
That won't last long. :lol:

Pretty cool Ayton signed with Puma though. Will make his signature shoe more affordable than it would under Nike or Adidas.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Deandre Ayton says his time at Arizona was ‘rough’

“Tucson was great but the outsiders made it kind of difficult,” he told Sports Illustrated

“Tucson was great but the outsiders made it kind of difficult,” he said. “When I saw my name was being thrown in there like that, it was crazy. Everyone’s calling your name. The media’s out to get you. You’re trending. It hurts.”

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... ean-miller" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fuck espn
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I hope he never gives them the time of day. And if his going with puma is any indication...
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Would love to see Ayton call ESPN out during a live interview at the draft -- and then end the interview abruptly and say he has no reason to speak to ESPN until he sees a formal retraction and apology.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I wonder if they will send Schabotch to do the draft coverage and interviews. That would be excellent!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

People are not used to Ayton's honesty. His interviews were always interesting because he didn't sugarcoat things or PR his statements up.

I remember one interview when asked about his good game instead of saying something like, "I just took advantages of the mismatches that were presented and thanks to my teammates for finding me, etc, blah, blah, blah", he said, "yeah, they put little guys on me, they had no chance of guarding me". lmao

There was a bunch of little quotes like that all throughout the year.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Congrats Deandre!

Our first #1
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

High School, College and now playing Pro all in Arizona. Suns games could be sold out. Buying tickets asap!
Junior

Post by Junior »

I think I'm hopping on the Suns wagon now after this. I might be getting his jersey too.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:Congrats Deandre!

Our first #1
In addition to being cool for DeAndre, this is an achievement for the program. Another lottery pick for the Miller era and checking one of the few boxes Arizona basketball hasn't yet checked.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAEebs86 wrote:Congrats Deandre!

Our first #1
He should have gone higher.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Embiids tweet is foolish and it clear he’s never watched ayton play.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Junior wrote:I think I'm hopping on the Suns wagon now after this. I might be getting his jersey too.
Yeah I got room for a second NBA team. Was already a big Josh Jackson fan.

Congrats to Deandre and his family. Having the number 1 pick made it a real special night for Arizona fans.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CalStateTempe wrote:Embiids tweet is foolish and it clear he’s never watched ayton play.
There were a few nice responses though (related to Embiid being made of glass) :lol:
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Im pretty sure Ayton plays defense but you wouldn't know it by hardly ever seeing him defend in the actual paint. :idea:
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

After drafting Deandre Ayton, Suns want to strengthen relationship with Sean Miller

Phoenix might even have its head coach exchange ideas with Miller
By Ryan Kelapire@RKelapire Jun 21, 2018, 10:54pm PDT

The Phoenix Suns received the No. 1 pick for the first time in franchise history and used that privilege to select Deandre Ayton.

That’s a huge investment (literally), so you can bet Suns management did plenty of research before deciding on the Bahamian big man.

That included a 90-minute phone call with Arizona Wildcats head coach Sean Miller, who gave the Suns insight on what it’s like to coach Ayton and how Ayton handled the well-documented controversy that surrounded the UA program during his freshman season.

Suns general manager Ryan McDonough said Miller was “honest about everything good and bad” in their conversation, though acknowledged “there wasn’t much to criticize.”

“What I’ll say about those two guys is they have a special bond,” McDonough said. “We talked to Deandre about Coach Miller and that shines through. Then we talked to Coach Miller about Deandre, and those two are very tight. There’s a lot of mutual respect there. They won a lot. They were the Pac-12 Tournament champions and regular-season champions, then they went through some
controversy and I think that probably strengthened the bond.”

That connection was apparent when Miller was celebrating at Ayton’s side when he was announced as the Suns’ selection.

“[Coach] just said, ‘I love you,’ and I said ‘I love you too, Coach’.’” Ayton said at his post-draft presser. “We went through a lot, and I’m just happy he knows the type of work I put in. He knows I worked on my craft every day to get to this point.”

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... ier-alkins" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Great press for Miller and great for us to hear and embrace how close of a relationship Miller has with his guys. For all the "I can't get through to these guys" talk this past season, all of our departing players took special note of how much Miller meant to them and how much they continue to appreciate him.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

YoDeFoe wrote:Great press for Miller and great for us to hear and embrace how close of a relationship Miller has with his guys. For all the "I can't get through to these guys" talk this past season, all of our departing players took special note of how much Miller meant to them and how much they continue to appreciate him.
Great point YDF!

Reminds me of the gloomy days after the bogus ESPN report came out. Many posters seemed to sell Coach down the river, and the tenor of many of those posts was downright subjective-from-a-distance. Ignored were the numerous tweets from former players which told the real story of their extraordinary relationship with our terrific coach and painted a picture of his strong character and ethics.

A good question is "How well does a player actually know his coach?. From experience, I suggest extremely well, probably in many cases better than the player knows his parents and siblings. Why? You see and know Coach under all conditions--stress, teaching times, being pushed for performance to the very best of your ability. When winning or losing. While being treated fairly or unfairly. While getting praise or punishment. Long, long periods of time with him at home and on the road.

Yeah, YDF, I agree. A coach and his ex-player exchanging I-love-you s has got to attract the attention of prospects who know exactly what that means. Bravo Coach Miller!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Very well put, EOCT.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Deandre Needs your help. i suck at embedding

https://twitter.com/DeandreAyton/status ... 35840?s=20
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

whatisee wrote:Deandre Needs your help. i suck at embedding

https://twitter.com/DeandreAyton/status ... 35840?s=20
Remove the last characters from the ? on.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

thanks for the help!