Ira Lee DUI

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: Ira Lee Super Extreme Underage DUI

Post by Olsondogg »

PHXCATS wrote:
Alieberman wrote:You generally punish people for the things they actually did, not things that they could have potentially done.
Ok, so punish him for driving drunk and putting tons of lives in danger

He will surely be punished, as he should be.

Dude made a mistake, let's not pretend like we all haven't.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Olsondogg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Alieberman wrote:You generally punish people for the things they actually did, not things that they could have potentially done.

Well... all of us except Machina.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ira is certainly lucky no-one was hurt. Hopefully this will be a big life and learning lesson for him.
This. Every DUI is potentially deadly. It is lucky for him he didn't hurt someone. He should be punished, and I expect he will be.

That said, he should be punished for what he did. To answer PHXCATS, I would expect a UCLA player to be punished, not dismissed. This is a horrible decision that could have been much, much worse. Beyond punishment, Ira needs to see that and address that in his behavior.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Olsondogg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

We all make mistakes, you are right. He seems to be a good kid who made a huge mistake and put people at risk. Not saying he is a bad kid. Thankfully he and everyone else is alright.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

The DUI is awful and unacceptable. I’m sure the school will do what is right and give him the proper punishment ...he’ll deserve every bit of it. But lol at machina belaboring the National implications and reputation damage to the program. I’m pretty sure barely anybody knows who Ira Lee is. This isn’t a big story in the sports world even, let alone a grand national scale considering the current political situation.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Amen. The self-righteousness displayed by some posters is nauseating.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Amen. The self-righteousness displayed by some posters is nauseating.

:P :lol:
Didn't mean it, I promise. I've never made a mistake...ever.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

PHXCATS wrote:
I read it wrong initially, I thought it said 30 MPH over.

But yeah no big deal that he had a 0.21 BAC and drove because Warren is an undivided side street or crossed the center line. My goodness he drove drunk and could have killed people. that is a huge deal. If this was a UCLA player and he killed someone I am sure your story would be different
What if he did it while blowing Hitler? What then? Is there no end to his hypothetical evil?
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

He's 20, he made a mistake. Humans make mistakes. Hope he learns from it and moves on.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

14 days in jail, along with losing his license for 90+ days, massive increase in insurance, plus fines, and installing an IID device in his car for a year is a pretty hefty punishment in itself, along with whatever the Dean of Students has in mind for him.

Not sure how a scholarship athlete, or any poor student for that matter can afford all that.

Even if he pleas down (likely) the penalties are pretty severe. From super extreme DUI to extreme DUI is still 9 days in jail minimum.

Note anyone in AZ under 21 who blows over a 0.0 is guilty of a DUI.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I think the bigger mistake he made was wearing Overalls with no shirt on with one strap off...its not 1992 Ira....

On a serious note, he was driving a Honda Sonota. Story would have been much worse if he was a driving a nice car

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... c3b17.html" target="_blank

And Yes, even when you are drunk you should be able to call an Ubder. 20 year old kids nowadays can text while they sleep or are completely drunk
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newportcat wrote:I think the bigger mistake he made was wearing Overalls with no shirt on with one strap off...its not 1992 Ira....

On a serious note, he was driving a Honda Sonota. Story would have been much worse if he was a driving a nice car

And Yes, even when you are drunk you should be able to call an Ubder. 20 year old kids nowadays can text while they sleep or are completely drunk
All the fashion nowadays for the kids, especially the guys it seems, is ripped straight from 1991-1995.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat wrote:I think the bigger mistake he made was wearing Overalls with no shirt on with one strap off...its not 1992 Ira....
In all fairness, he does sweat a lot and may run out of shirts.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And he will be punished for what he did, not what he could have done. Look no one is saying he shouldn't be punished but you are acting like he should be hammered when in most cases kids for DUI get a 3-5 game suspension.

While you have not mentioned miller this just seems like another vendetta against the bball program.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:14 days in jail, along with losing his license for 90+ days, massive increase in insurance, plus fines, and installing an IID device in his car for a year is a pretty hefty punishment in itself, along with whatever the Dean of Students has in mind for him.

Not sure how a scholarship athlete, or any poor student for that matter can afford all that.

Even if he pleas down (likely) the penalties are pretty severe. From super extreme DUI to extreme DUI is still 9 days in jail minimum.

Note anyone in AZ under 21 who blows over a 0.0 is guilty of a DUI.
See, I was not a fan of PHXCATS going over the top, but I have no issue with Lee having to deal with what you posted.

DUI is severe and poses a huge risk. It takes lives. Making the decisions Ira made (assuming everything plays out like the reports) comes with consequences. Yeah, they make life difficult, but that is the point. Making dumb decisions that endanger others should come with consequences that really force someone to sacrifice.

You hope the process of sacrificing things to try to redress the actions gives a young kid insight into his own life and how he can address himself so he doesn't have to walk this road again.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:And he will be punished for what he did, not what he could have done. Look no one is saying he shouldn't be punished but you are acting like he should be hammered when in most cases kids for DUI get a 3-5 game suspension.

While you have not mentioned miller this just seems like another vendetta against the bball program.
I have no vendetta against Miller or the program in any way. I did not like Miller for what he did off the court years ago but I have moved on and I think my posts at the time of the shit ESPN article prove that. I want Miller as our coach. And I go to the PAC-12 tournament every year, the asu game in Tempe every year, watch every game and go to Tucson for one or two games every year. That does not sound like someone with a vendetta for the program does it?

And my issue about Lee and the DUI is that people act like it isnt a big deal. I personally think OOC is a good line since he was under 20 and had 0.215BAC but if it is a little less than that, then its all good. He made a huge mistake, if he owns up to it and works hard to correct it he is all good in my book. And thankfully he and everyone else is okay

My issue with that the basketball program is a part of is that our fans will buy tickets for a practice but those same people cant get to a football game.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Dragging the fan base in, nice.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Lee's dad is a disciplinarian. Miller is a disciplinarian. The program and the team will keep him straight following this. Lee is in good hands here to both catch the licks he has coming to him and to come out the other side a better man.

I made a similar mistake at his age in a similar circumstance: life threw me a slider, I was upset, drank too much and drove "just around the corner" to get home. Underage DUI. I fought for years to pay the price and make it right. It made me stronger and a better leader for my friends to help keep them straight.

Nobody got hurt here, so its a learning lesson and not a tragedy. Thank God. Now let's be supportive of our boy.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: And my issue about Lee and the DUI is that people act like it isnt a big deal.
Based on what exactly? No one is diminishing his actions and thinks he should get off scott free. He deserves to be punished for making a ridiculously dumb decision and he will be. There are crimes you can't come back from, a misdemeanor DUI at the age of 20 where no one was hurt (thank heavens) is not one of them.

Just stop. You're dumb.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ASUHATER! wrote:

All the fashion nowadays for the kids, especially the guys it seems, is ripped straight from 1991-1995.
True story. About a year ago I go to a buddy's birthday party on the Peninsula in Newport Beach. After dinner we decide to grab a quick drink at Malarky's which is basically the Dirtbags of Newport so if you are over 25 you feel old. Mid 30's felt very old. I am standing with another buddy and a guy walks by wearing a Jean Jacket. I look at my buddy and say "Jesus, Jean Jackets are back in". I think I say it quietly but I guess I did not.

The guy hears me and tries to start a fight with me. Kid was a real prick as I tried to buy him a beer and apologize but didnt want any of it. A Bouncer comes over and ask us both to leave. I simply state my case for being so surprised that Jean Jackets are back in style as I did not realize Canadian Tuxedo's were cool. Both the Bouncer who is maybe 26 and the 23 year kid have no idea what I am talking about. I tell the Bouncer I will leave because I am way too old to be there.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Newportcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

True story. About a year ago I go to a buddy's birthday party on the Peninsula in Newport Beach. After dinner we decide to grab a quick drink at Malarky's which is basically the Dirtbags of Newport so if you are over 25 you feel old. Mid 30's felt very old. I am standing with another buddy and a guy walks by wearing a Jean Jacket. I look at my buddy and say "Jesus, Jean Jackets are back in". I think I say it quietly but I guess I did not.

The guy hears me and tries to start a fight with me. Kid was a real prick as I tried to buy him a beer and apologize but didnt want any of it. A Bouncer comes over and ask us both to leave. I simply state my case for being so surprised that Jean Jackets are back in style as I did not realize Canadian Tuxedo's were cool. Both the Bouncer who is maybe 26 and the 23 year kid have no idea what I am talking about. I tell the Bouncer I will leave because I am way too old to be there.
:lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote: And my issue about Lee and the DUI is that people act like it isnt a big deal.
Based on what exactly? No one is diminishing his actions and thinks he should get off scott free. He deserves to be punished for making a ridiculously dumb decision and he will be. There are crimes you can't come back from, a misdemeanor DUI at the age of 20 where no one was hurt (thank heavens) is not one of them.

Just stop. You're dumb.
He's looking at jail, probation and a fine criminally, plus team and institutional consequences. I have no issue with any of that as a consequence for his actions.

Just pointing out there's worse stuff that could mean prison, expulsion, getting kicked off the team and saying he is not at that level based on this is not excusing or diminishing his actions.

I don't know what PHXCATS is going for here. I haven't seen one poster act like this is a ticket for going 10 MPH over the limit.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Newportcat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:

Great story. And you're spot on: Malarky's is absolutely the Dirtbags of Newport, lol.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:I read it wrong initially, I thought it said 30 MPH over.
So you made a mistake?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I read it wrong initially, I thought it said 30 MPH over.
So you made a mistake?
:lol:
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

azcat49 wrote:Hears he had lost his grandma a few days earlier. Not an excuse but might explain the situation some.
I'll have to remember that one if I ever get pulled over for a DUI ... "grandma died. Sorry".
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

The title of this thread gets to me all day long when I see it. Peak Machina.

"super extreme underage"

good lord.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Anatomy of a first time DUI case:

Defense Attorney to Idiot DUI Driver: Shut up and do what I tell you.
Idiot DUI Driver: Okay. Sorry.

Defense Attorney to Prosecutor: He's a good kid. First time. Grandma died. Plays hoops. Yada, yada. Can we plead this down to the next lower level offense. What do you need besides the usual b.s., such as fines, court fees, payment plan, alcohol class, counseling, community service, mandatory license suspension - except as needed for work/school, suspended sentence, probation, etc., blah, blah, blah?

Prosecutor to Defense Attorney: Well, it's pretty aggravated at .20 bac. Gotta do this, gotta do that, blah, blah. But yeah, we'll take next lower level offense plus the usual required b.s. And he's gotta do this or that. Let's go tell the judge.

Attorneys to Judge: Your honor we've agreed to this and that, blah, blah, blah. The usual yada, yada, yada, etc., etc.

Judge: Fine. So ordered. Young man, don't ever let me see you in my courtroom again. Next case.

Defense Attorney to Idiot DUI Driver: You're welcome. Show up and don't fuck it up.

Idiot DUI Driver: Yes sir. Thank you.

Then he spends the next couple of months jumping through all the hoops - paying off the (likely reduced) fine and court fees, going to alcohol class (paying $ for it), picking up garbage after the county fair (and paying $ for the privilege to do so), paying for the SR22 insurance, paying the lawyer, checking in with the probation officer, paying to have his license reinstated, etc., etc. The likelihood of spending any time in jail beyond when he was booked is almost nil. As long as he pays all the costs and completes everything timely, his jail sentence will be suspended (over his head only to be served if he doesn't complete all the b.s.).

End of story. The "DUI Industry" is just that - another money making racket for all involved. DUI happens thousands of times a day in jurisdiction all across the country and nobody has time to give a shit about any one in particular (unless, of course, there is a victim). It's a system and there are too many cases to process. All the hand-wringing and outrage - for a first-time offender in the absence of harm to another person - is naive. I'm sure the University will do everything it can to both "take this very seriously" for PR purposes and maximize his availability to play.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Since his 2nd test was 0.198, I would say it's a extremely high chance the "super" will be dropped without much effort by his lawyer.

Those days in jail will be the worst of his life, something he will never forget. I've heard of cases where judges have allowed students to serve the time when school is not in session. Doesn't do anyone any good to miss school.
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote:The “national image”?? :lol:

What’s your suggestion for coming down hard on him Machina?

30 lashes?

Public castration?

Making him read your posts?
Can't violate the 8th Amendment
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote:Since his 2nd test was 0.198, I would say it's a extremely high chance the "super" will be dropped without much effort by his lawyer.

Those days in jail will be the worst of his life, something he will never forget. I've heard of cases where judges have allowed students to serve the time when school is not in session. Doesn't do anyone any good to miss school.

Again, good info.

Echo your thoughts on how this might unfold.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

BearDown89 wrote:Anatomy of a first time DUI case:

Defense Attorney to Idiot DUI Driver: Shut up and do what I tell you.
Idiot DUI Driver: Okay. Sorry.

Defense Attorney to Prosecutor: He's a good kid. First time. Grandma died. Plays hoops. Yada, yada. Can we plead this down to the next lower level offense. What do you need besides the usual b.s., such as fines, court fees, payment plan, alcohol class, counseling, community service, mandatory license suspension - except as needed for work/school, suspended sentence, probation, etc., blah, blah, blah?

Prosecutor to Defense Attorney: Well, it's pretty aggravated at .20 bac. Gotta do this, gotta do that, blah, blah. But yeah, we'll take next lower level offense plus the usual required b.s. And he's gotta do this or that. Let's go tell the judge.

Attorneys to Judge: Your honor we've agreed to this and that, blah, blah, blah. The usual yada, yada, yada, etc., etc.

Judge: Fine. So ordered. Young man, don't ever let me see you in my courtroom again. Next case.

Defense Attorney to Idiot DUI Driver: You're welcome. Show up and don't fuck it up.

Idiot DUI Driver: Yes sir. Thank you.

Then he spends the next couple of months jumping through all the hoops - paying off the (likely reduced) fine and court fees, going to alcohol class (paying $ for it), picking up garbage after the county fair (and paying $ for the privilege to do so), paying for the SR22 insurance, paying the lawyer, checking in with the probation officer, paying to have his license reinstated, etc., etc. The likelihood of spending any time in jail beyond when he was booked is almost nil. As long as he pays all the costs and completes everything timely, his jail sentence will be suspended (over his head only to be served if he doesn't complete all the b.s.).

End of story. The "DUI Industry" is just that - another money making racket for all involved. DUI happens thousands of times a day in jurisdiction all across the country and nobody has time to give a shit about any one in particular (unless, of course, there is a victim). It's a system and there are too many cases to process. All the hand-wringing and outrage - for a first-time offender in the absence of harm to another person - is naive. I'm sure the University will do everything it can to both "take this very seriously" for PR purposes and maximize his availability to play.
Were you my lawyer?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

YoDeFoe wrote:Were you my lawyer?
:lol: No, but I've played both sides of the aisle enough to know the drill. And I've read all the John Grisham books.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Of course this is 3 articles down on the front page of ESPN NCAAB

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... xtreme-dui" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
azcat49 wrote:And he will be punished for what he did, not what he could have done. Look no one is saying he shouldn't be punished but you are acting like he should be hammered when in most cases kids for DUI get a 3-5 game suspension.

I have no vendetta against Miller or the program in any way. I did not like Miller for what he did off the court years ago but I have moved on and I think my posts at the time of the shit ESPN article prove that. I want Miller as our coach. And I go to the PAC-12 tournament every year, the asu game in Tempe every year, watch every game and go to Tucson for one or two games every year. That does not sound like someone with a vendetta for the program does it?

And my issue about Lee and the DUI is that people act like it isnt a big deal. I personally think OOC is a good line since he was under 20 and had 0.215BAC but if it is a little less than that, then its all good. He made a huge mistake, if he owns up to it and works hard to correct it he is all good in my book. And thankfully he and everyone else is okay

My issue with that the basketball program is a part of is that our fans will buy tickets for a practice but those same people cant get to a football game.
Your issue with our fan base for basketball is that we are too good of fans....

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:

Ok even further, you know McKale seats roughly 14,500 fans right and Arizona Stadium seats about 56,000...so it is possible every single one of those fans attending the first practice of the year for basketball are attending football games as well. Given we average roughly 48,000 fans per football game lets say, I would think chances are very high that a majority of those 14,500 fans also attend football games too. If you are willing to watch Arizona practice in basketball then you probably support the U of A a lot and could be one of those 48,000 fans who comes to football games.

Basically what I am trying to say in a nutshell is you are a fucking moron
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:Of course this is 3 articles down on the front page of ESPN NCAAB

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... xtreme-dui" target="_blank
It’s already fallen out of my trending headlines on Yahoo Sports even though I have Arizona Basketball as one of my favorites.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Merkin wrote:Since his 2nd test was 0.198, I would say it's a extremely high chance the "super" will be dropped without much effort by his lawyer.

Merk,

Good call.

However, Lee’s charges might be significantly reduced because of inconsistencies in his situation, several DUI attorneys told the Star on Wednesday.

Tucson attorney Joe St. Louis said the super extreme DUI charge “should get tossed” because only one of his two Breathalyzer tests was over the minimum blood-alcohol limit needed for that charge.

Lee tested at 0.215 and 0.198 on a Breathalyzer, according to a police report

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... e16.html#1" target="_blank

As a result, St. Louis said it was possible that Lee’s case could be reduced to a standard DUI — which carries a minimum of one day in jail — or even to what he called a “baby DUI,” the charge of driving after drinking as a minor. Lee turned 20 in March.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

They are most definitely going to utilize the grandmother in this and from what I understand it is a very legit issue for Ira. It's seriously the reason he drank as much as he did. From U of A's point of the view the focus is much more on helping the kid than discussing any kind of punishment.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

It is perfectly reasonable to drink a lot as a coping mechanism. However, it doesn't mean crap when it comes to deciding to drive IMO.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HiCat wrote:

Merk,

Good call.

However, Lee’s charges might be significantly reduced because of inconsistencies in his situation, several DUI attorneys told the Star on Wednesday.

Tucson attorney Joe St. Louis said the super extreme DUI charge “should get tossed” because only one of his two Breathalyzer tests was over the minimum blood-alcohol limit needed for that charge.

Lee tested at 0.215 and 0.198 on a Breathalyzer, according to a police report

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... e16.html#1" target="_blank

As a result, St. Louis said it was possible that Lee’s case could be reduced to a standard DUI — which carries a minimum of one day in jail — or even to what he called a “baby DUI,” the charge of driving after drinking as a minor. Lee turned 20 in March.
Looks like we’ll need a thread title change too.

Sorry Machina. I know that will be hard on you...
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

ChooChooCat wrote:They are most definitely going to utilize the grandmother in this and from what I understand it is a very legit issue for Ira. It's seriously the reason he drank as much as he did. From U of A's point of the view the focus is much more on helping the kid than discussing any kind of punishment.

The ESPN article mentions that he also failed to show up to court twice in June. Now, I am not a lawyer, but if you fail to appear, a warrent for your arrest is issued. Since he was cited and released after the DUI, I would have to assume this is either settled or was not true.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Newportcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Ok even further, you know McKale seats roughly 14,500 fans right and Arizona Stadium seats about 56,000...so it is possible every single one of those fans attending the first practice of the year for basketball are attending football games as well. Given we average roughly 48,000 fans per football game lets say, I would think chances are very high that a majority of those 14,500 fans also attend football games too. If you are willing to watch Arizona practice in basketball then you probably support the U of A a lot and could be one of those 48,000 fans who comes to football games.

Basically what I am trying to say in a nutshell is you are a fucking moron
What prize do I win if I shut up Machina and his Arizona are bad football fans but too good of basketball fans argument...trying not to jinx it but think I might have shut him up which would relieve about 40-50% of the arguments on this site
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

jajoyce wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:They are most definitely going to utilize the grandmother in this and from what I understand it is a very legit issue for Ira. It's seriously the reason he drank as much as he did. From U of A's point of the view the focus is much more on helping the kid than discussing any kind of punishment.
The ESPN article mentions that he also failed to show up to court twice in June. Now, I am not a lawyer, but if you fail to appear, a warrent for your arrest is issued. Since he was cited and released after the DUI, I would have to assume this is either settled or was not true.
I read that as relating to a prior speeding ticket. Generally, arrest warrants don't go out for missing civil traffic court. You more likely get a default judgment against you.

None of that is legal advice, though. Just how I read the article.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
jajoyce wrote: I read that as relating to a prior speeding ticket. Generally, arrest warrants don't go out for missing civil traffic court. You more likely get a default judgment against you.

None of that is legal advice, though. Just how I read the article.
Correct and correct.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Explain, Take responsibility, apologize, and turn it into a learning experience for you and others.

Compare that apology with say... a certain coach at Ohio State.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Anne Elise Luhr is not impressing me there. Talking trash about his grandma being dead?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Anne Elise Luhr is not impressing me there. Talking trash about his grandma being dead?
Does Anne post here? Tone sounds ....... familiar.

BTW, I changed the thread title. Anyone who wants it changed back for their own reasons, please PM me so I can then quote that message right here and we can all laugh at how thirsty you are.