Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by Chicat »

I think Greg should re-evaluate his social media strategy. One tactic he might consider is deleting his account and retiring from talking to people in any capacity.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Let’s just hope the only suicide that comes from this is that of Greg’s career.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Hansen has swung so wide and far on both sides of the spectrum over the last several years. Like many journalists, he's doesn't think people have memories. Sean Miller surely remembers.

A few years ago, Hansen criticized Miller when pay raises for UA assistants became public. Richardson didn't get a raise (or only a small one) compared to the other assistants. But Richardson had been suspended or had taken a medical leave. The rumors were substance abuse.

Hansen has always dealt cards from both sides of the deck. And he certainly did so here -- ready to criticize and profess 20/20 hindsight at every move. Is it any coincidence that Hansen has made enemies of Lute Olson and Sean Miller but Hansen is supposed to be the virtuous journalist? Really?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

zonagrad wrote: But Richardson had been suspended or had taken a medical leave. The rumors were substance abuse.
Think it was due to Book feeding Ace Thakore (now deceased?) of PGU insider information when PGU was refused UA press credentials.

The substance abuse may have been part of it too.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Also those quotes came from Goodman article:

https://watchstadium.com/news/family-of ... 9-26-2018/" target="_blank

NBA star Kemba Walker is one of those who has helped — both emotionally and financially. So has former Arizona standout and current NBA player Solomon Hill.

But it’s up and down, good days followed by bad ones, times when Book will sit in his bedroom with the curtains closed for hours, depressed, nearly suicidal with concern over how he will be able to take care of his family. He doesn’t sleep, his back hurts and there was one day when his blood pressure soared to 183 over 101.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Hard to feel bad for the guy. He made his bed.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin wrote:
zonagrad wrote: But Richardson had been suspended or had taken a medical leave. The rumors were substance abuse.
Think it was due to Book feeding Ace Thakore (now deceased?) of PGU insider information when PGU was refused UA press credentials.

The substance abuse may have been part of it too.
Right. So Book had some issues that Miller had dealt with before the FBI raid. When your boss gives you a second chance, you don't screw it up. Now, it's possible Book was acting on Miller's orders. If so, then I'd think he'd cut a deal and Miller would be in deep trouble. That likely would've happened by now, no?

But if Richardson acted on his own, why on earth would Miller reach out to him? Miller gave him a second chance and the guy nearly scuttled the program AND cost Miller his job. Does anyone believe Miller is concerned about Book right now? I'm more likely to believe that Miller was initially devastated by Richardson's actions. And then pissed as hell.

If Goodman is going to interview Richardson's wife, there needs to be some questions about how he almost cost Miller his job and ruined a proud program. If Richardson was acting on his own, he's hardly a victim here.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Book had a great gig yet he hoped to head back east on Miller's coattails. He turned Benedict Arnold on the shoe companies for what is basically meal money. Stupid is as stupid does
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

She just wanted a sympathy card. And sweet tattoo btw...

I wonder if Romar reached out before or after March 12th. Who cares, still a stand up guy!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:

Also those quotes came from Goodman article:

https://watchstadium.com/news/family-of ... 9-26-2018/" target="_blank

NBA star Kemba Walker is one of those who has helped — both emotionally and financially. So has former Arizona standout and current NBA player Solomon Hill.

But it’s up and down, good days followed by bad ones, times when Book will sit in his bedroom with the curtains closed for hours, depressed, nearly suicidal with concern over how he will be able to take care of his family. He doesn’t sleep, his back hurts and there was one day when his blood pressure soared to 183 over 101.
“Nearly suicidal with concern over how he will be able to take care of his family” and “sometimes suicidal” are different things.

“Solomon Hill ..... has helped — both emotionally and financially“ and “Solomon Hill ...... is helping with day-to-day bills” are different things.

It’s subtle, but a real journalist would understand that words matter. Maybe the reason he deleted that tweet is because he had a chat with his friend “Look”.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the internet is still undefeated
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Just a simple reminder:

Fuck Greg Hansen.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Good god, look at the slant in this ESPN article. Picture of Miller, the bulk of the first part of the article focusing on Arizona based on their shitty investigative work followed up by far more substantiated and serious allegations of other schools buried farther down in the article. Twitter army, do your thing . . .

{And I’m not suggesting Arizona didn’t do anything or won’t get hammered eventually . . . these things are independent from the shitty journalistic practices ESPN has continued to deploy. I mean, read the Yahoo article and see the difference. It’s incredible, really}

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ial-starts
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

And it was written by Mark Schlabach...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

DrWildcat wrote:And it was written by Mark Schlabach...
What a douche
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Good god, look at the slant in this ESPN article. Picture of Miller, the bulk of the first part of the article focusing on Arizona based on their shitty investigative work followed up by far more substantiated and serious allegations of other schools buried farther down in the article. Twitter army, do your thing . . .

{And I’m not suggesting Arizona didn’t do anything or won’t get hammered eventually . . . these things are independent from the shitty journalistic practices ESPN has continued to deploy. I mean, read the Yahoo article and see the difference. It’s incredible, really}

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ial-starts
There is a lot of BS in that article. It talks about refusal of public records requests for subpoenas and GJ docs like the U of A plays a role. That is the investigative agency only.

The rest is just some recycled BS with no new info and speculation.

For Schlabach, I'm still waiting on any corroboration of your original story...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Not a shocker. The 150k allegation about Little was why Miami was after money for Little.

Another article says Zion Williamson is listed as a name that may come up. Good thing he picked Duke so there's no chance of NCAA sanctions.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Not a shocker. The 150k allegation about Little was why Miami was after money for Little.

Another article says Zion Williamson is listed as a name that may come up. Good thing he picked Duke so there's no chance of NCAA sanctions.
Unless new testimony contradicts anything this is merely a simple he said he said deal in regards to Arizona. Gatto's proof is Brad Augustine's claims (he already admitted we wanted more money from Adidas just to get more money) and Little & his father deny ever being offered any thing from any school.

The juicy part of all of this is they're alleging Oregon offered 100k for Brian Bowen. Why the **** could that allegation not have come out a year ago?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Not a shocker. The 150k allegation about Little was why Miami was after money for Little.

Unless new testimony contradicts anything this is merely a simple he said he said deal in regards to Arizona. Gatto's proof is Brad Augustine's claims (he already admitted we wanted more money from Adidas just to get more money) and Little & his father deny ever being offered any thing from any school.

The juicy part of all of this is they're alleging Oregon offered 100k for Brian Bowen. Why the **** could that allegation not have come out a year ago?
Oregon probably did it the right way, through Nike or another intermediary. We got hosed because Book got caught on a wire for that small potatoes bribe, not because of the deeper allegations about payment. Those are everywhere for a ton of players.

The Little thing doesn't freak me out. It's all based on hearsay about Little's going rate to get an equal offer for an Adidas school. Little has been cleared, denies getting money, and unless that changes, it's a nonissue.

This sounds like an "everyone else was doing it" defense.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: This sounds like an "everyone else was doing it" defense.
That's exactly what it is. This part of the hearing is meaningless for us outside of dragging our name back through the mud. The Book hearing in April will be much more substantial, but even then at worst it'll be another he said he said deal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
That's exactly what it is. This part of the hearing is meaningless for us outside of dragging our name back through the mud. The Book hearing in April will be much more substantial, but even then at worst it'll be another he said he said deal.
I'm sure we'll be part of the everyone else. I doubt new evidence emerges. That doesn't mean the Arizona Daily Star won't do like 7 articles on the speculation.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

so the headline is shiny and splashy..."ARIZONA OFFERED TO PAY LITTLE"...

...but he went to Miami suddenly. And the "Arizona to pay..." is hearsay, and backed by zero tangible evidence.

And Oregon was ready to go NIKEOREGONSWOOSH for all the players...

We might end up being the 50th most hit program by the end of this...unless Miller is a stone-faced sociopath and he is on the tap.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I'm sure we'll be part of the everyone else. I doubt new evidence emerges. That doesn't mean the Arizona Daily Star won't do like 7 articles on the speculation.
Good lord, I'm not opening or linking it, but the lead headline on the Star is "Defense Attorney: Arizona offered 150k to Little."

It has Adam Zagoria listed as a "Star correspondent." What a joke.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:so the headline is shiny and splashy..."ARIZONA OFFERED TO PAY LITTLE"...

...but he went to Miami suddenly. And the "Arizona to pay..." is hearsay, and backed by zero tangible evidence.

And Oregon was ready to go NIKEOREGONSWOOSH for all the players...

We might end up being the 50th most hit program by the end of this...unless Miller is a stone-faced sociopath and he is on the tap.
Unless there's a new phone conversation that implicates Arizona that no one has heard, the defense's entire case in regards to Arizona comes from the lips of a man who openly admitted he was trying to extort money from Adidas and said what he needed to (This Nike school is offering this amount of money, you have to beat it) to get the amount of cash he wanted. Good luck.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

For those keeping track, those dates don't match Schlabach's first timeline, second timeline, or third timeline. He has officially been outed as the fraud that we all knew him to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m sure ESPeNis and Mark Skullfuck will correct the record at any moment now.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

James Gatto didn't break law in orchestrating payments to recruits, attorneys say
Mark Schlabach
Jeff Borzello

"NCAA rules were broken," attorney Casey Donnelly told the jury. "We are not going to waste your time pretending these families did not get funds."
------------------

"The NCAA rules are the not the laws of the country," she said. "It's like a kids' after-school soccer league, if that soccer league also brought in $1 billion a year. These aren't the laws. They're the equivalent of the rules in your apartment building. If you break them, you haven't broken the law. It is not against the law to violate NCAA rules."
-----------------

"The basketball coaches would ask for Jim's help in recruiting particularly talented basketball players to their programs," Donnelly said. "I suspect you know what kind of 'help' the coaches wanted from Jim. He's not a guidance counselor. Jim understood that Adidas should help the families out if that's what the coaches wanted."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... orneys-say" target="_blank
The guy alleging that he was only trying to match competing offers, is throwing his universities, their coaches and the players down-the-road; and he's likely lying about the competing offers, to boot.

No one should be too upset about this defense attorney's allegations - they are NOT evidence, at all!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... kyle-kuzma

So much tragicomedy here. ESPN putting Schlabach back on this story as the lead reporter after his clusterfuck with Arizona. Oregon offering 100k for Bowen. Pitino being aware of the payment for Bowen. Not on Twitter, but please tell me that Dickie V is currently choking on a dick?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... kyle-kuzma

So much tragicomedy here. ESPN putting Schlabach back on this story as the lead reporter after his clusterfuck with Arizona. Oregon offering 100k for Bowen. Pitino being aware of the payment for Bowen. Not on Twitter, but please tell me that Dickie V is currently choking on a dick?
Vitale is desperately searching for the portion of the story that mentions Arizona to copy/paste on Twitter.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

moral of the story - every top 50 program in the country has paid for players for 25/30 plus years

every...single...one

the end
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

I can guarantee you that this has also been going on in college football for decades.

As a matter of fact, amateurism in college athletics its one of the most well known jokes running around in big-time football and basketball circles like forever.

Benefits are given to top players under the table by every school that gives two shits about football. Arizona is simply one of the lowest bidders in football with lesser deep pockets.

Just look at the shit product the paying public has to endure on the football field to understand where we lay on the football power money tree pecking order.

UofA Basketball on the other hand is at the top of the money tree Capstone so they demand more of the leveraging cash for pay to play and get it.

Amateurism in all it glory is complete and utter BS in the monied sports world.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:I can guarantee you that this has also been going on in college football for decades.

As a matter of fact, amateurism in college athletics its one of the most well known jokes running around in big-time football and basketball circles like forever.

Benefits are given to top players under the table by every school that gives two shits about football. Arizona is simply one of the lowest bidders in football with lesser deep pockets.

Just look at the shit product the paying public has to endure on the football field to understand where we lay on the football power money tree pecking order.

UofA Basketball on the other hand is at the top of the money tree Capstone so they demand more of the leveraging cash for pay to play and get it.

The only difference between basketball and football is the shoe company involvement is much much much bigger in basketball. Football is a boosters game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Kids can't wear football spikes to class and the shoe companies know that
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:I can guarantee you that this has also been going on in college football for decades.

The only difference between basketball and football is the shoe company involvement is much much much bigger in basketball. Football is a boosters game.
Basketball players sell shoes. Who's the football player with the highest selling shoes? No one goes out to buy the Tom Brady 7's.

Also, basketball is just easier to influence. Football, one or two five stars won't massively influence an otherwise poor roster. Two five stars can turn you into a final four contender.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Basketball players sell shoes. Who's the football player with the highest selling shoes? No one goes out to buy the Tom Brady 7's.

Also, basketball is just easier to influence. Football, one or two five stars won't massively influence an otherwise poor roster. Two five stars can turn you into a final four contender.
That's because no man wants a pair of UGGs.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Chicat wrote:I’m sure ESPeNis and Mark Skullfuck will correct the record at any moment now.
No way. They still have a picture of a distressed looking Miller on their basketball homepage that links to the reporting about the scandal and current trial. No picture of Self, Enfield, etc.; no picture of former players from other top programs alleged to have received payments. It is astonishing to continue to see their blatant hatred of the program and coach on full display.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

midnightx wrote:
Chicat wrote:I’m sure ESPeNis and Mark Skullfuck will correct the record at any moment now.
No way. They still have a picture of a distressed looking Miller on their basketball homepage that links to the reporting about the scandal and current trial. No picture of Self, Enfield, etc.; no picture of former players from other top programs alleged to have received payments. It is astonishing to continue to see their blatant hatred of the program and coach on full display.
Also please notice that Schlafucks original report no longer references any dates whatsoever.

#CoverUp
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

midnightx wrote:
No picture of the actual coaches who were arrested, which would make the most sense, along with Pitino who actually lost his job of course.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Holy shit they actually have Miller and the Arizona logo on the cover of the NCAAM homepage for two days.

I honestly can't believe they're allowing that shit. Incredibly petty and spiteful. They're almost baiting Arizona to retaliate publicly or legally (for the clicks, I'm sure).
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Okie State more than tripled our offer. I guess we are cheap, lol

Will Pasternack lose his job?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

For Fuegs. Smart not to play him
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:Okie State more than tripled our offer. I guess we are cheap, lol

Will Pasternack lose his job?
Hey, we were the low money bidder and leading before Rawle and Trier returned. In a way, we were clearly doing more to reduce money in the college game than any of his other finalists.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is giving a recruit’s dad $100k somehow different than hiring them for a year at $100k?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Is giving a recruit’s dad $100k somehow different than hiring them for a year at $100k?
In the nonsensical NCAA world, probably. Second question, did Duke do it? If Duke did it...well, no one really cares.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

This thread is kind of funny now knowing how unimportant this probe really is to our long term future. Current recruits are obviously not worried about the ramifications against Arizona at all.

Seems like good click bate but nothing else
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Newportcat wrote:This thread is kind of funny now knowing how unimportant this probe really is to our long term future. Current recruits are obviously not worried about the ramifications against Arizona at all.

Seems like good click bate but nothing else
Yeah. Especially when it's completely apparent that every other top 50 program does the same thing. When everyone is cheating I'm not really worried.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:Is giving a recruit’s dad $100k somehow different than hiring them for a year at $100k?
In the nonsensical NCAA world, probably. Second question, did Duke do it? If Duke did it...well, no one really cares.
If Duke does it, ESPN will put Sean Miller’s picture on the front page with the headline, “More NCAA Cheating?”