Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:Is giving a recruit’s dad $100k somehow different than hiring them for a year at $100k?
In the nonsensical NCAA world, probably. Second question, did Duke do it? If Duke did it...well, no one really cares.
If Duke does it, ESPN will put Sean Miller’s picture on the front page with the headline, “More NCAA Cheating?”
That’s really funny
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

84Cat wrote:Okie State more than tripled our offer. I guess we are cheap, lol

Will Pasternack lose his job?
At the moment there's no phone conversation with Pasternack or email from or even to Pasternack with Dawkins about any of this, so it's nothing, but hearsay. Unless proof walks through that door there's nothing for him or us to worry about.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
84Cat wrote:Okie State more than tripled our offer. I guess we are cheap, lol

Will Pasternack lose his job?
At the moment there's no phone conversation with Pasternack or email from or even to Pasternack with Dawkins about any of this, so it's nothing, but hearsay. Unless proof walks through that door there's nothing for him or us to worry about.
It’s even flimsier than hearsay. It’s a guy pulling shit out of his ass in order to get a kid to go where he needs him to go.

Supposedly there are tapes & tapes & tapes ..... let’s hear ANYTHING that supports any of the claims the defense has made.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Never stop being Jim Basnight....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Columbo is on the case...

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Never stop being Jim Basnight....
Yeah, UW landed back to back #1 recruits but never knew a thing about why.

Look, I think we've had plenty of players paid. I think that is true for any good program. UW had Fultz getting $ and they were sub .500.

Zion Williamson and RJ Barrett aren't at Duke because they thought the uniforms were nice.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote: Never stop being Jim Basnight....
Yeah, UW landed back to back #1 recruits but never knew a thing about why.

Look, I think we've had plenty of players paid. I think that is true for any good program. UW had Fultz getting $ and they were sub .500.

Zion Williamson and RJ Barrett aren't at Duke because they thought the uniforms were nice.
Yeah, makes me wish teams like Duke, UNC, Kentucky etc. were brought up more with these supposed payments. Still seems like the narrative the national media wants to push is that money is only being offered by a few places. They want to tell us that all these highly rated guys are turning down $100,000+ because they just want to play at Duke. Makes total sense.

Also, why does Arizona have all the headline stories. Why not write something on Kansas or Louisville? At least there is some corroborating evidence.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ESPN wants Arizona to be the face of this scandal because they have no investment in the success, reputation, or visibility of the PAC-12.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:ESPN wants Arizona to be the face of this scandal because they have no investment in the success, reputation, or visibility of the PAC-12.
BINGO.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:ESPN wants Arizona to be the face of this scandal because they have no investment in the success, reputation, or visibility of the PAC-12.
BINGO.
We are the perfect program to target. They don't care about the PAC-12's success, and we are a big program that certainly would generate interest and clicks, but not a traditional blue blood that would materially drag the sport down. It's perfect from ESPN's perspective.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

It seems like the national CBB writers started to figure this out as the day went on...tweets started becoming more of the "wait...is this whole thing about a guy heard a guy who said? We came for the wiretaps. Where's the meat?"

The more drive-by, ambulance chase stories are just taking the testimony like it was approved by Ben Stone on an early Law and Order (yeah...dating myself). But it seems even the Seth Davis', who love to play in the shit, are questioning what this is all about and whether we have a shred of corroboration coming.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:It seems like the national CBB writers started to figure this out as the day went on...tweets started becoming more of the "wait...is this whole thing about a guy heard a guy who said? We came for the wiretaps. Where's the meat?"

The more drive-by, ambulance chase stories are just taking the testimony like it was approved by Ben Stone on an early Law and Order (yeah...dating myself). But it seems even the Seth Davis', who love to play in the shit, are questioning what this is all about and whether we have a shred of corroboration coming.
They sort of have to because if this is taken at face value, it blows up all of CBB. Bowen is one guy and everyone was offering. Extend that to all top recruits and it implicates all of CBB.

I think Bowen's dad is telling the truth. I just don't want us gettkng scapegoated.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:It seems like the national CBB writers started to figure this out as the day went on...tweets started becoming more of the "wait...is this whole thing about a guy heard a guy who said? We came for the wiretaps. Where's the meat?"

They sort of have to because if this is taken at face value, it blows up all of CBB. Bowen is one guy and everyone was offering. Extend that to all top recruits and it implicates all of CBB.

I think Bowen's dad is telling the truth. I just don't want us gettkng scapegoated.
I think Bowen's dad is as well, but that's not the question. The question is was Christian Dawkins lying and can he prove he wasn't? The only thing that matters from Arizona's end is the latter end of that question. Considering their entire defense is "this is common place, every school cheats, yada yada yada" they better provide some proof.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I think Bowen's dad is as well, but that's not the question. The question is was Christian Dawkins lying and can he prove he wasn't? The only thing that matters from Arizona's end is the latter end of that question. Considering their entire defense is "this is common place, every school cheats, yada yada yada" they better provide some proof.
I don't care if we pay, quite honestly. I have no issue with players being paid.

I do care if the NCAA tries to prove we did. On that end, I do hope that it stays without confirmation. The fact Bowen didn't come here and thus the alleged 50k never actually changed hands helps us.

I have no desire to live in a pretend world where players aren't getting $. I just don't want Arizona to be singled out in a systemic issue. If Dawkins told the truth, this is systemic. I tend to belive that it is, but worry the NCAA will go to extreme lengths to protect the false veneer of amateurism.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

It's becoming evident Dawkins is full of shit.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
BINGO.
We are the perfect program to target. They don't care about the PAC-12's success, and we are a big program that certainly would generate interest and clicks, but not a traditional blue blood that would materially drag the sport down. It's perfect from ESPN's perspective.
It has been this way going back to the roots of the whole concept of East Coast Bias in the late 1980s, when Arizona basketball's wins would usually not even get a mention on SportsCenter.

But an "upset" loss on the road, in-conference? Lead story, and I can clearly remember that slant as early as the New Mexico hose job in The Pit in '88.

It's the narrative turn that has defined the corruption of college hoops ever since.

Cats always win, and they're rolling over a weak conference and haven't yet faced "real" competition (aka Bristol's favorites from the other four power conferences).

Cats lose, and it's long overdue comeuppance for their own failings. ESPN has stacked the deck in favor of its contractual partners for 35 years.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I don't care if we pay, quite honestly. I have no issue with players being paid.

I do care if the NCAA tries to prove we did. On that end, I do hope that it stays without confirmation. The fact Bowen didn't come here and thus the alleged 50k never actually changed hands helps us.

I have no desire to live in a pretend world where players aren't getting $. I just don't want Arizona to be singled out in a systemic issue. If Dawkins told the truth, this is systemic. I tend to belive that it is, but worry the NCAA will go to extreme lengths to protect the false veneer of amateurism.
Guys....I think everyone is missing the boat on this and has since the scandal began. Where was Sean going to get the money? Pay from his own pocket? There is a reason that Gatto is the face of this scandal. He had the deep pockets of Addias to fund this operation. The financial guys that were trying to steer players to their representations were nickel and dimers. There is no evidence in the original indictments that they had the money to do more than try and influence a decision on where they were going to get represented. In the original indictment Dawkins is asked which coaches he has influence with and HE corrected the person by saying you mean assistant coaches. Read the indictment....

If it comes out in testimony...not the defense attorney saying it....not from Bowen's dad who says he heard from Dawkins....that Nike was involved then it is a new ball game. Until then follow the money....ask where Sean was going to get 150K for Nassir or 100K for Bowden......there is no answer other than pay it himself. I say BS.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:Is giving a recruit’s dad $100k somehow different than hiring them for a year at $100k?
In the nonsensical NCAA world, probably. Second question, did Duke do it? If Duke did it...well, no one really cares.
If Duke does it, ESPN will put Sean Miller’s picture on the front page with the headline, “More NCAA Cheating?”
How about his past week? Green commits to AZ, and the headline is as follows: "Australian Prospect Green Commits To Arizona." Duke gets a commit from a slightly lower ranked prospect, and the headlines states: "Five-star Moore, No. 3 SF In Nation, Picks Duke." One looks like Duke struck gold, the other looks like AZ simply got a commitment from an international player. If Duke got a commitment from Green, you can bet the headline would have referenced his "Five-star" ranking and second place ranking as a SG.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Meanwhile Sean is at Day 8 atop the ESPN NCAAB page
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Jefe wrote:Meanwhile Sean is at Day 8 atop the ESPN NCAAB page
That is egregious. They must really believe that something about Miller is going to come out at some point if they are going to be this blatant. They are just begging Miller/UofA/PAC12 to file some sort of legal injunction. All 3 are front and center as ESPN's inferred cheaters.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

baycat93 wrote:
Jefe wrote:Meanwhile Sean is at Day 8 atop the ESPN NCAAB page
That is egregious. They must really believe that something about Miller is going to come out at some point if they are going to be this blatant. They are just begging Miller/UofA/PAC12 to file some sort of legal injunction. All 3 are front and center as ESPN's inferred cheaters.
It truly is appalling. ESPN may not believe something is going to come out, but they certainly hope it will. In the meantime, they will continue to imply Miller is scum. There are a lot of major programs named in the legal pleadings and in testimony from this chaos, it isn't as Arizona is the primary name or the only big fish. There are a number of well-known coaches from the named programs who could have their pictures posted and a number of former players who could have their pictures posted. Yet, ESPN presents Miller to the world as if he is the new Jerry Tarkanian (although Dickie V loved the Tark). Seriously, why does ESPN and its college basketball division loathe Arizona so much?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Louisville continues to be the big story, and yet we've got the primetime banner ad hyping our "cheat" coach.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

midnightx wrote:Seriously, why does ESPN and its college basketball division loathe Arizona so much?
Because it’s easy for them to say, “College basketball is corrupt! But not any team you’ll see on this channel in prime time.”
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm really ready for ESPN to take that pic of Sean down. It's getting ridiculous.

I mean, today there was specific news about violations at Louisville. Where's the pic of Pitino?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... -gave-1300" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Don't know how to post tweets, but:

Matt Norlander

@MattNorlander

Breaking: Former Adidas consultant TJ Gassnola testified under oath this afternoon to paying the families of: Deandre Ayton
Dennis Smith Jr.
Silvio De Sousa
Billy Preston
Brian Bowen Jr.

1:29 PM · Oct 10, 2018
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Don't know how to post tweets, but:

Matt Norlander

@MattNorlander

Breaking: Former Adidas consultant TJ Gassnola testified under oath this afternoon to paying the families of: Deandre Ayton
Dennis Smith Jr.
Silvio De Sousa
Billy Preston
Brian Bowen Jr.

1:29 PM · Oct 10, 2018
Read the whole thread
Last edited by 84Cat on Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So Louisville, Kansas, NC State and South Carolina besides Arizona, but what do you bet that ESPN's coverage focuses on Ayton and Arizona?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I like the information in the bottom tweet...
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Isn't this person from this board?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I like the part where it says the payments were concealed from the schools. Sounds like a big nothingburger just like we have been saying
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

You have secret handshakes and thousand dollar magazine hand-offs to keep it quite. Old school. Without hard proof though, still think it is nothing. Certainly not the "Miller Paid Ayton" story. Miller is smart and probably likes to keep his money in his pocket and let kids sign whatever deal they want.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

84Cat wrote:I like the part where it says the payments were concealed from the schools. Sounds like a big nothingburger just like we have been saying
Scheer posits (and it makes sense) that any money from these guys going to Ayton would be for him to go to Kansas. Why would they steer him to a Nike school?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

It has nothing to do with Arizona regardless. The witness even said he concealed those payments from the schools and the NCAA. Remember, he's a witness for the prosecution that paints the schools as victims.

Ultimately worse case scenario for Arizona in regards to Ayton is we have to forfeit that season due to playing an ineligible player if the NCAA deems him so. I think we can all live with giving up last season from the record books.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
84Cat wrote:I like the part where it says the payments were concealed from the schools. Sounds like a big nothingburger just like we have been saying
Scheer posits (and it makes sense) that any money from these guys going to Ayton would be for him to go to Kansas. Why would they steer him to a Nike school?
Remember Josh Jackson. He was getting money from multiple shoe companies at the same time. It's all a long term investment and bidding war.

It's probably true, but the actual story is about the situation for all major recruits. Which school or player gets named is irrelevant.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:It has nothing to do with Arizona regardless. The witness even said he concealed those payments from the schools and the NCAA. Remember, he's a witness for the prosecution that paints the schools as victims.

Ultimately worse case scenario for Arizona in regards to Ayton is we have to forfeit that season due to playing an ineligible player if the NCAA deems him so. I think we can all live with giving up last season from the record books.
Erasing the Buffalo loss would be a positive. Am I allowed to root for vacating last year?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ption/amp/" target="_blank

North Carolina's Roy Williams says he is 'dumbfounded' by college basketball corruption
Testimony from those involved in the DOJ's first of three trials seeking to nix it altogether has brought to light information about how agents, shoe companies, runners and coaches have been working in the shadows to compensate players and their families beginning at the grassroots level.

The revelations have mostly been new as far as the gritty details of how the sausage is made, but the sausage itself isn't. Corruption has played at least some role in the sport for years. And still, the aspects of the case have been gruesome enough to leave UNC Hall of Fame coach Roy Williams "dumbfounded."

"It's a massive thing that's still going on, and I'm just dumbfounded," he said on Tuesday. "I had somebody criticize me and say 'you shouldn't be dumbfounded.' Well, excuse me, I have my right to have my own feelings. That world that they're explaining out there I'm not familiar with. Period. In 30 years as a head coach I have never had anyone ask me for money. I have never asked any shoe company to recruit for me. I have never asked anyone other than the family what is most important to you.

"So that world, people act like it goes on all the time, it does not go on all the time. It is a world I'm not familiar with."

New information continues to pour out daily, but thus far the specific details brought about -- $100,000+ offers in exchange for commitments, money funneled to the father of a five-star prospect to play for a summer league shoe team – would leave most confounded. For Williams, who says he's never been involved in that world, he stood by his own innocence and stood up for the sport itself, which he says isn't all corrupt.

"That's a sad state of affairs for people to think that's all that goes on in college athletics, because that's not all that goes on in college athletics," he said.

The first of three trials -- against Jim Gatto, Merl Code and Christian Dawkins -- began last week and is ongoing this week. Federal prosecutors in the case, who in court Tuesday played wiretapped phone calls and showed text messages detailing the corruption taking place in the recruiting scene, are working to prove schools involved were victims of this nefarious activity. As Gary Parrish laid out on Tuesday, proving that appears to be increasingly more challenging as the trial wears on.
lol
TJATUA

Post by TJATUA »

84Cat wrote:Isn't this person from this board?
Yeah, that's me.

Logistically, this makes zero sense, but because some idiots without the ability to read more than one sentence are going to look at it and say, "See? Arizona paid its players." Ugh.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:It has nothing to do with Arizona regardless. The witness even said he concealed those payments from the schools and the NCAA. Remember, he's a witness for the prosecution that paints the schools as victims.

Erasing the Buffalo loss would be a positive. Am I allowed to root for vacating last year?
The P12 Championship though?

In order for the NCAA to make us vacate a season there would have to be proof of the financial transaction, proof Ayton got the money(and not his Dad?) or someone in our program arranged it right?
prh

Post by prh »

Jefe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

In order for the NCAA to make us vacate a season there would have to be proof of the financial transaction, proof Ayton got the money(and not his Dad?) or someone in our program arranged it right?
Also, only wins are vacated, not losses
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Headline should be "Adidas failed to push Ayton to KU".
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Hell it's the NCAA we're dealing with here, so who knows?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Yeah I like the season champ and the tourney champ banners - those were hard fought. Also all of Ayton's awards... so he'd be out of the record books at McKale, essentially. That might be the worst result of forfeiting.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ption/amp/

North Carolina's Roy Williams says he is 'dumbfounded' by college basketball corruption
Testimony from those involved in the DOJ's first of three trials seeking to nix it altogether has brought to light information about how agents, shoe companies, runners and coaches have been working in the shadows to compensate players and their families beginning at the grassroots level.

The revelations have mostly been new as far as the gritty details of how the sausage is made, but the sausage itself isn't. Corruption has played at least some role in the sport for years. And still, the aspects of the case have been gruesome enough to leave UNC Hall of Fame coach Roy Williams "dumbfounded."

"It's a massive thing that's still going on, and I'm just dumbfounded," he said on Tuesday. "I had somebody criticize me and say 'you shouldn't be dumbfounded.' Well, excuse me, I have my right to have my own feelings. That world that they're explaining out there I'm not familiar with. Period. In 30 years as a head coach I have never had anyone ask me for money. I have never asked any shoe company to recruit for me. I have never asked anyone other than the family what is most important to you.

"So that world, people act like it goes on all the time, it does not go on all the time. It is a world I'm not familiar with."

New information continues to pour out daily, but thus far the specific details brought about -- $100,000+ offers in exchange for commitments, money funneled to the father of a five-star prospect to play for a summer league shoe team – would leave most confounded. For Williams, who says he's never been involved in that world, he stood by his own innocence and stood up for the sport itself, which he says isn't all corrupt.

"That's a sad state of affairs for people to think that's all that goes on in college athletics, because that's not all that goes on in college athletics," he said.

The first of three trials -- against Jim Gatto, Merl Code and Christian Dawkins -- began last week and is ongoing this week. Federal prosecutors in the case, who in court Tuesday played wiretapped phone calls and showed text messages detailing the corruption taking place in the recruiting scene, are working to prove schools involved were victims of this nefarious activity. As Gary Parrish laid out on Tuesday, proving that appears to be increasingly more challenging as the trial wears on.
lol
Everyone offers Nassir Little 150k and we got him for what I assume is 0k. I am stunned that this occurs.

Ayton had KU in his final three, so it's not odd to think Adidas steered him a little. They were the presumptive favorite.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

By the way, in ESPN's front page headline, Ayton is the only player mentioned.

Reason 100 to say F**k ESPN.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Remember Josh Jackson. He was getting money from multiple shoe companies at the same time. It's all a long term investment and bidding war.

It's probably true, but the actual story is about the situation for all major recruits. Which school or player gets named is irrelevant.
The World Wide Leader would disagree with that last statement.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

To the lawyers out there, does the ongoing, baseless disparagement of Miller/AZ flirt with defamation?
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

There's still lots of testimony to go, but the govt's claim is that schools were a victim in all this. Maybe some assistant coaches had their hand in the kitty. But shoe execs wanted players signed to their shoe company once they reached the NBA, so gave the player's families money to have a shot at signing the player. ESPN reports it as if Miller were the instigator, out there operating like a shoe executive. That could be entirely false. Pessimistic folks might say coaches were complicit, who knows, we'll see.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »