Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by YoDeFoe »

JMarkJohns wrote:I’m losing my goddamned mind over this.

I worked in newspaper and radio media for 8 years, and taught it at an award-winning level for 6.

What in the actual fuck is this world doing that flat out falseities and lies and slander with nothing but a quipped cutesy turn of phrase to support it is reported not by blogboys like Basnight, but verified, checkmarked, by-lined, reputable services and media?

They are reporting on ethics in the least ethical way possible.
:!:
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

84Cat wrote:
Let's hope we don't lose any of the verbal commits for next year.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That is interesting given their are more trials to come. Does that point to some known plea bargaining going on?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:
Frankly, that makes me feel better. The FBI wouldn't do that if they had a lot of active investigation going on and new info to be acquired.

The stuff out now is manageable for Arizona. The danger is new info.

Edit: There's also a zero percent chance the NCAA finds dirt the FBI didn't. The NCAA would have trouble locating the Grand Canyon if you showed them a small hole in the ground first.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
84Cat wrote:
Frankly, that makes me feel better. The FBI wouldn't do that if they had a lot of active investigation going on and new info to be acquired.

Edit: There's also a zero percent chance the NCAA finds dirt the FBI didn't. The NCAA would have trouble locating the Grand Canyon if you showed them a small hole in the ground first.
It also says the ok has been given to investigate certain schools. It would be interesting if Arizona was one of them.

The NCAA isn't likely to find new information but it also seems like they don't need much evidence to punish a school. Just depends on what they want to do.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

DrWildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
84Cat wrote:

It also says the ok has been given to investigate certain schools. It would be interesting if Arizona was one of them.

The NCAA isn't likely to find new information but it also seems like they don't need much evidence to punish a school. Just depends on what they want to do.
I agree. I dont think Arizona is getting away free of anything with Book. Nothing major but something is coming
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

84Cat wrote:
Sources indicated that there was no formal letter or declaration from the federal government, but rather an acknowledgement that in the cases of certain schools the NCAA can now begin its own investigation process.

Sources did not indicate specific schools that the NCAA has been cleared to look at. Programs named in the first federal trial included Kansas, North Carolina State and Louisville. Nicholas Biase, a spokesman for the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, declined comment when reached by Yahoo Sports on Tuesday night. An NCAA spokesperson declined comment to Yahoo Sports, citing the association’s policy of not commenting on any current, pending or potential investigations.

The first of three trials tied to a sweeping federal investigation into the sport’s black market ended in late October. Multiple lawyers tied to the three defendants, who were found guilty on all counts of charges that included conspiracy and wire fraud, have indicated they plan to appeal the convictions. Two trials scheduled for February and April remain, although legal experts predict the guilty pleas in the first trial could lead to better chances of defendants entering plea agreements in those trials.
Isn't this saying that the NCAA can start looking for NCAA violations from the first trial, which is already completed (even with appeals). Not sure the first trial had much on Arizona besides some hearsay on Little.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

To me the lack of institutional control is what Arizona has to worry about. Good luck finding proof that anybody was ever paid directly and the one guy with the most evidence around him in regards to Arizona paying was cleared by the NCAA back in June to play this year at Nova. The fact that Arizona had an assistant scheming to do anything and taking bribes regardless of what his true intentions were will hurt, but I don't see what else the NCAA has here. Baseless allegations don't fly and I could see some recruiting sanctions (lose some visits and recruiting time) along with possibly forfeiting a postseason (this year sure looks great for doing that) and maybe Miller has to sit out for a set amount of games, but I don't see much beyond that. This is the NCAA though, so who knows how dumb they'll be.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:To me the lack of institutional control is what Arizona has to worry about. Good luck finding proof that anybody was ever paid directly and the one guy with the most evidence around him in regards to Arizona paying was cleared by the NCAA back in June to play this year at Nova. The fact that Arizona had an assistant scheming to do anything and taking bribes regardless of what his true intentions were will hurt, but I don't see what else the NCAA has here. Baseless allegations don't fly and I could see some recruiting sanctions (lose some visits and recruiting time) along with possibly forfeiting a postseason (this year sure looks great for doing that) and maybe Miller has to sit out for a set amount of games, but I don't see much beyond that. This is the NCAA though, so who knows how dumb they'll be.
Forfeiting the postseason this year would be fine with me but I'm not sure we get NCAA sanctions this year with how slow they are. Seems like it would have to be self imposed if it was this year. Losing the postseason in future years would be bad and I would guess we would lose some of our current commits (Green and maybe Nico). I would rather lose a future scholarship but I'm not sure how the NCAA breaks down what is sufficient punishment.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DrWildcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
84Cat wrote:

Getting hosed by the NCAA's lack of accountability is always a concern. That said, I don't think that declines the longer the FBI pushes it out. The FBI letting the NCAA go forward at this point signals the end of new FBI info.

It's not ideal for Arizona, but ideal went out the window when Book got indicted.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:To me the lack of institutional control is what Arizona has to worry about. Good luck finding proof that anybody was ever paid directly and the one guy with the most evidence around him in regards to Arizona paying was cleared by the NCAA back in June to play this year at Nova. The fact that Arizona had an assistant scheming to do anything and taking bribes regardless of what his true intentions were will hurt, but I don't see what else the NCAA has here. Baseless allegations don't fly and I could see some recruiting sanctions (lose some visits and recruiting time) along with possibly forfeiting a postseason (this year sure looks great for doing that) and maybe Miller has to sit out for a set amount of games, but I don't see much beyond that. This is the NCAA though, so who knows how dumb they'll be.
I doubt we get punished this year the way the NCAA moves, might be next year at the earliest, if any punishment at all. Which might cost us Mannion/Green if we're not playing in the post season
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
I doubt we get punished this year the way the NCAA moves, might be next year at the earliest, if any punishment at all. Which might cost us Mannion/Green if we're not playing in the post season
We can always self-impose and sell the NCAA on agreeing with it later. Hopefully, we'd have an idea on which way the winds are blowing within 2-3 months.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:
We can always self-impose and sell the NCAA on agreeing with it later. Hopefully, we'd have an idea on which way the winds are blowing within 2-3 months.
After Louisville, I doubt anyone self sanctions.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

AT the end of the day I think Az basically walks away with a slap on the wrist...lets be honest the NCAA is terrible at consistency and frankly, Miller has enough of a track record with Book to show he was doing all ANY coach not named Self could do...

Book was fired almost immediately...based on an actual inquiry from the university...UA has spent a ton on legal already and the mantra that the NCAA likes to make examples is complete nonsense...they just don't have the teeth for it because of how the organization is structured...ANY of the Uni reps could be facing the same kind of repercussions they dole out...its basically "honor among thieves" with this group...

When all is said and done the NCAA committee will look at Az and say "Well ESPN and Larry Scott have fucked them WAAAAY more than we could, let's keep it that way and do nothing."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Dunno. I think half of Louisville was the FBI wire info breaking shortly before. The fact they self imposed then went about paying players while on self-imposed probation...I know that's technically not what they were punished for, but I'd bet money it played a role.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

FWIW Dept. An LA Times investigation unearthed records of a group of phone calls between Dawkins and recruiting assistant David Grace before Alford fired him.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-s ... story.html" target="_blank

Okay, Grace....not Alford.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I can't see significant sanctions for a scenario involving an assistant coach that began in Spring 2017 and ended that Summer, where the FBI needed a wiretap and an undercover agent to find Book's wrongdoing. I'm not sure how the NCAA could reasonably charge that Arizona lacked control.

I am sure, however, that the NCAA rarely acts reasonably. So my expectations remain in check.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I will be pissed if Arizona imposes sanctions on itself. *uck everyone and everything.

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

It will be very interesting with what they directly have on Kansas. Two coaches talking to these guys. Self and Townsend and testimony that a Kansas player was paid. Trust me if they had Sean saying he would pay $100K for any player it would have come out in trial.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

From yesterday, surprised it wasn't posted considering it was Schlabach

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ption-case" target="_blank
In the email Dawkins sent to his business partner Munish Sood, he detailed payment plans for players at Alabama, Arizona, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Mississippi State, Oregon, USC and Xavier, some of which were to begin in September 2017.
Dawkins wrote that he planned to pay Arizona's Rawle Alkins $2,500 per month from September 2017 through April 2018, plus $30,000 in travel expenses for his family. He also wanted to give his cousin, Rodney Labossiere, a four-year deal to work as a manager.

"Rodney will get 25% of net income we generate from Rawle as well as additional players he brings in moving forward," Dawkins wrote.

"Rodney has a bonus structure in his contract as well for delivering players at [$]10,000 for a first round pick. $2,000 for a second round pick."

Dawkins' phone records show that there were 33 calls made to a number belonging to Labossiere from May 7, 2017, through July 2, 2017.

When reached by ESPN on Wednesday, Labossiere declined to comment. A payment schedule included in the business plan indicated Dawkins planned to make a $30,000 payment for "Rawle Alkins/Rodney Labossiere family travel to games" on Sept. 15, 2017.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

May be the most worthless article they've wrote on this yet. These were Dawkins plans and none were ever set in motion nor was it a foregone conclusion that it would've went down with these perspective players, so who gives a flying fuck? People are just trying to keep this story alive.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Schlabach's reporting on this isn't going to end until the NCAA has had their say. And even if AZ/Miller aren't penalized at all, it's easy to imagine Schlabach taking matters into his own hands and casting aspersions at our program well into the future.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:Schlabach's reporting on this isn't going to end until the NCAA has had their say. And even if AZ/Miller aren't penalized at all, it's easy to imagine Schlabach taking matters into his own hands and casting aspersions at our program well into the future.
Not sure why you feel this way. I think it is obvious that if the NCAA investigates and finds nothing on Miller that Mark Schlabach is done as a writer.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

ChooChooCat wrote:May be the most worthless article they've wrote on this yet. These were Dawkins plans and none were ever set in motion nor was it a foregone conclusion that it would've went down with these perspective players, so who gives a flying fuck? People are just trying to keep this story alive.
Exactly, Choo. You hit the nail on the head when you point out this talk was Dawkin's plans---projections, not reality.

You also put it straight when you previously pointed out the NCAA's potential issue with us is a weakly arguable lack of institutional control. Anything more would be a surprise.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If Nassir Little or Jahvon Quinerly are held out of a game this year, I will get scared. Book's indictment ties us to the future of those guys. They've been cleared and playing.

The idea of Adidas money to Ayton...how would the NCAA avoid that it was stated it was for Kansas? On Rawle, even if the NCAA substantiated money from Dawkins to LaBossiere (which does not appear to be likely) it's not from Arizona. It's Dawkins buying a future pro. If we had to lose the 2017-18 season results, no more Buffalo loss.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:If Nassir Little or Jahvon Quinerly are held out of a game this year, I will get scared. Book's indictment ties us to the future of those guys. They've been cleared and playing.

The idea of Adidas money to Ayton...how would the NCAA avoid that it was stated it was for Kansas? On Rawle, even if the NCAA substantiated money from Dawkins to LaBossiere (which does not appear to be likely) it's not from Arizona. It's Dawkins buying a future pro. If we had to lose the 2017-18 season results, no more Buffalo loss.
You must've missed the text convo between Dawkins and Little's AAU coach. That was a scheme between those two. It's been proven the family wanted nothing to do with money. So don't worry about it.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Forde interviewed by Dakich (yeah..)

https://omny.fm/shows/the-dan-dakich-sh ... -should-be" target="_blank

Arizona only comes up in the first 2 mins

Pretty much says that the NCAA being given the go ahead to being investigating will only involve what happened in the first trial, will likely only be Adidas schools (Louisville, Kansas St, NC State etc)

Forde is asked about Arizona, says Arizona investigation won't likely be involved in the first NCAA investigation until the Book trial in April. For some reason, he and others following the trials think that the Book trial could be the juiciest trial
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

NYCat wrote:From yesterday, surprised it wasn't posted considering it was Schlabach

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ption-case" target="_blank
In the email Dawkins sent to his business partner Munish Sood, he detailed payment plans for players at Alabama, Arizona, Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Mississippi State, Oregon, USC and Xavier, some of which were to begin in September 2017.
Dawkins wrote that he planned to pay Arizona's Rawle Alkins $2,500 per month from September 2017 through April 2018, plus $30,000 in travel expenses for his family. He also wanted to give his cousin, Rodney Labossiere, a four-year deal to work as a manager.

"Rodney will get 25% of net income we generate from Rawle as well as additional players he brings in moving forward," Dawkins wrote.

"Rodney has a bonus structure in his contract as well for delivering players at [$]10,000 for a first round pick. $2,000 for a second round pick."

Dawkins' phone records show that there were 33 calls made to a number belonging to Labossiere from May 7, 2017, through July 2, 2017.

When reached by ESPN on Wednesday, Labossiere declined to comment. A payment schedule included in the business plan indicated Dawkins planned to make a $30,000 payment for "Rawle Alkins/Rodney Labossiere family travel to games" on Sept. 15, 2017.
Dawkins really. The guy was a scam artist who was fired from his previous job for unathorized use of his clients credit cards to book UBER. This guy is as transparent as a wet tshirt coontest in a Louisville dorm room. Are we really talking about a plan and not anything that came out under oath? This guy is an embarrassment to ESPN and quite frankly I'm surprised they haven't muzzled him yet.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

NYCat wrote:Forde interviewed by Dakich (yeah..)

https://omny.fm/shows/the-dan-dakich-sh ... -should-be" target="_blank

Arizona only comes up in the first 2 mins

Pretty much says that the NCAA being given the go ahead to being investigating will only involve what happened in the first trial, will likely only be Adidas schools (Louisville, Kansas St, NC State etc)

Forde is asked about Arizona, says Arizona investigation won't likely be involved in the first NCAA investigation until the Book trial in April. For some reason, he and others following the trials think that the Book trial could be the juiciest trial

One would,assume the biggest fish gets the most interest. Hope they choke on their holiday dinner coming up
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:May be the most worthless article they've wrote on this yet. These were Dawkins plans and none were ever set in motion nor was it a foregone conclusion that it would've went down with these perspective players, so who gives a flying fuck? People are just trying to keep this story alive.
Pretty much. Plus, the reality is the even if it's true, it had nothing to do with the schools. They weren't being paid to go to a school. Who knows what the NCAA does, or if they care Dawkins is a bullshitter or if they care the whole Little situation was made up to grift.

The logic or lack of logic the NCAA has used is waivers for transfers this year has me worried, completely irrational.

Also apparently Dawkins isn't a rat and will keep his mouth shut according to his lawyer
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

NYCat wrote:
Pretty much. Plus, the reality is the even if it's true, it had nothing to do with the schools. They weren't being paid to go to a school. Who knows what the NCAA does, or if they care Dawkins is a bullshitter or if they care the whole Little situation was made up to grift.

The logic or lack of logic the NCAA has used is waivers for transfers this year has me worried, completely irrational.

Also apparently Dawkins isn't a rat and will keep his mouth shut according to his lawyer
This is where I'm at with Dawkins, as well. It doesn't sound very believable and very embellished.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:If Nassir Little or Jahvon Quinerly are held out of a game this year, I will get scared. Book's indictment ties us to the future of those guys. They've been cleared and playing.

You must've missed the text convo between Dawkins and Little's AAU coach. That was a scheme between those two. It's been proven the family wanted nothing to do with money. So don't worry about it.
I didn't. I'm not worried. I'd be shocked if anything happened to Little or Quinerly, and that's good news for us. We're past the biggest danger on the info in the FBI complaint, IMO.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: We can always self-impose and sell the NCAA on agreeing with it later. Hopefully, we'd have an idea on which way the winds are blowing within 2-3 months.
Dunno. I think half of Louisville was the FBI wire info breaking shortly before. The fact they self imposed then went about paying players while on self-imposed probation...I know that's technically not what they were punished for, but I'd bet money it played a role.
No one should self sanction, Syracuse also self sanctioned and got hit. UNC denied denied denied and won. Cooperation only hurts.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

One scholarship and $5k in cash is a weak self sanction.

BUT: never self sanction. It's like telling the cops you're guilty and you're sorry - you're only making it easier for them to throw the book at you.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'd be shocked if anything happened to Little or Quinerly
Quinerly Game 1 off the bench: 17M 3PTs 3ASTs 2TOs 25% FGs
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I’d rather self satisfy than self sanction thank you very much. Life is for the living.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:I’d rather self satisfy than self sanction thank you very much. Life is for the living.
You were gone too long.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I’d rather self satisfy than self sanction thank you very much. Life is for the living.
You were gone too long.
Second DCCs comment about the witty character LH. (Yeah, I know hordes of Bear-Down-Catters are thinking "Don't egg him on!")
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

EOCT wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
You were gone too long.
Second DCCs comment about the witty character LH. (Yeah, I know hordes of Bear-Down-Catters are thinking "Don't egg him on!")
Now don't pout. I'd miss you too if you went away.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Because we needed another article with no new information. The media can't shake Sean Miller more so than he can't shake the FBI story.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What a useless article. Just rehashing the old news and speculating. Filler on a hot topic. Good timing for the Phoenix based Devil newspaper.

How about reporting n our top 5 class that we inked. I think yoyu said they were all LOI's right Choo and not financial aid paperwork? Now that is news
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Sean Miller can't shake the FBI story because the media needs a story that doesn't involve mentioning Kansas, Zion Williamson, etc.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Sean Miller can't shake the FBI story because the media needs a story that doesn't involve mentioning Kansas, Zion Williamson, etc.
hard to shake when this reporter reports nothing new and misleads
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The Republic was able to fill Paola Boivin's shoes with someone with equal journalistic ability I see.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I have met Sean Miller twice in person. Both times I liked him. A little reserved and very different then Lute was, but polite and seemed nice. I have watched what his players have said about him, how he has made us into a players program, and now enjoyed these videos of him working with our players breaking down film. I have seen his press conferences after tourney losses blame himself and not his players, and seem to take the high road. I know it can not be easy being a coach but to me Miller makes it seem easy.

Am I totally clueless, is Miller actually a massive dick?

I say this because I can not understand the hate towards him by ESPN, Vitale, AzCentral, etc. I guess I get AZ Central since its an ASU paper, but still I feel like that article that had NOTHING new in it is a total attack by someone who dislikes Miller. Feels like a lot of this stuff has been.

I am asking this honestly. For people that know or have met him more, is there something I am missing. Because to me it has to be the reason why this stuff is still being brought about him when I seem to hear nothing about Kansas or Zion, etc.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Newportcat wrote:I have met Sean Miller twice in person. Both times I liked him. A little reserved and very different then Lute was, but polite and seemed nice. I have watched what his players have said about him, how he has made us into a players program, and now enjoyed these videos of him working with our players breaking down film. I have seen his press conferences after tourney losses blame himself and not his players, and seem to take the high road. I know it can not be easy being a coach but to me Miller makes it seem easy.

I say this because I can not understand the hate towards him by ESPN, Vitale, AzCentral, etc. I guess I get AZ Central since its an ASU paper, but still I feel like that article that had NOTHING new in it is a total attack by someone who dislikes Miller. Feels like a lot of this stuff has been.

I am asking this honestly. For people that know or have met him more, is there something I am missing. Because to me it has to be the reason why this stuff is still being brought about him when I seem to hear nothing about Kansas or Zion, etc.
He did blame a loss at asu on U of A fans but I now will say I chalk that up to frustration and didnt truly mean it
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:I have met Sean Miller twice in person. Both times I liked him. A little reserved and very different then Lute was, but polite and seemed nice. I have watched what his players have said about him, how he has made us into a players program, and now enjoyed these videos of him working with our players breaking down film. I have seen his press conferences after tourney losses blame himself and not his players, and seem to take the high road. I know it can not be easy being a coach but to me Miller makes it seem easy.

He did blame a loss at asu on U of A fans but I now will say I chalk that up to frustration and didnt truly mean it
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS