2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by Beachcat97 »

Our tourney hopes are going to be impacted, as well, by how UConn, Iowa State and (probably) Baylor do the rest of the way.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Smith is a ding dong
Lee is a ding dong
Randolph is the king ding dong
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

97cats wrote:Smith is a ding dong
Lee is a ding dong
I'm not the biggest Randolph fan in the world, but I think looping him in with Lee and Smith is a major disservice to the role Randolph has played so far for us this year. He has his flaws, but without him, don't think we beat UConn, or even Utah Valley tbh. Smith and Lee I have no problems hating on though haha
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Lee is a ding dong
We lack scoring and Randolph scores. That's more than Smith or Lee bring, and we need it badly. Williams is the only other guy who can create a shot himself. Jeter is a post option and that's about it. I thought Coleman had potential, but that may only be in games in the non-continental US.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Brandon Williams is a stud...can't wait to see him another year removed from his injury and stronger.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

To 97's credit this team is loaded with ding dongs. Just ridiculously low basketball IQ players.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Randolph is an excellent player - and hes also the king ding dong (*right now)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:To 97's credit this team is loaded with ding dongs. Just ridiculously low basketball IQ players.
Our four and five stars are different form other teams four and five stars.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

97cats wrote:Randolph is an excellent player - and hes also the king ding dong (*right now)
haha ok I can respect that. I know this wouldn't happen, but I wouldn't mind a full house cleaning next year - Smith, Lee, Barcello, Akot all gone. I just don't see a long-term positive future for those guys with our program. We would need a couple transfers to make sure we could still scrimmage in practice, but I just don't see any upside with them frankly. Akot may be a decent role player by the end of his career, but can't see him being content with that role.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:To 97's credit this team is loaded with ding dongs. Just ridiculously low basketball IQ players.
Ehh, I think miss the growing pains of other teams' 4/5 stars because we don't follow them. Look at Quinerly at Villanova, who's won 2 of the last 3 nattys.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
97cats wrote:Randolph is an excellent player - and hes also the king ding dong (*right now)
haha ok I can respect that. I know this wouldn't happen, but I wouldn't mind a full house cleaning next year - Smith, Lee, Barcello, Akot all gone. I just don't see a long-term positive future for those guys with our program. We would need a couple transfers to make sure we could still scrimmage in practice, but I just don't see any upside with them frankly. Akot may be a decent role player by the end of his career, but can't see him being content with that role.
No, no, no.

Smith and Barcello, I could see that. Lee and Akot...it helps a ton to have experienced depth. I posted before, but everyone loves the talent of the freshmen until they show up and we take an L due to freshman mistakes and lack of execution. Vets with system knowledge help fill those spaces and are also vital to teach the kids. You need guys with experience who help show the way. Practicing alongside guys who know what to do and execute is how younger guys fall in.

Lee and Akot may both be role players, but role players are necessities for winning. We didn't have many role players last year and suffered for it. We had a lot of stars and no dirty workers.
prh

Post by prh »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Looking at any Kentucky team the last 8 years would reveal a lot of ding dongs. Jay Wright hasn't typically played many young guys, giving them time to learn. UNC and Gonzaga has been keeping their guys 3-4 years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Looking at any Kentucky team the last 8 years would reveal a lot of ding dongs. Jay Wright hasn't typically played many young guys, giving them time to learn. UNC and Gonzaga has been keeping their guys 3-4 years.
Kansas has had guys like Cliff Alexander and Josh Selby. Everyone has some kids who just don't exactly get it.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
No, no, no.

Smith and Barcello, I could see that. Lee and Akot...it helps a ton to have experienced depth. I posted before, but everyone loves the talent of the freshmen until they show up and we take an L due to freshman mistakes and lack of execution. Vets with system knowledge help fill those spaces and are also vital to teach the kids. You need guys with experience who help show the way. Practicing alongside guys who know what to do and execute is how younger guys fall in.

Lee and Akot may both be role players, but role players are necessities for winning. We didn't have many role players last year and suffered for it. We had a lot of stars and no dirty workers.
Yeah, might have to agree to disagree. I think we can bring on Luther-esque grad transfer role players if need be. Lee is a big time net negative on both sides of the ball with his propensity to foul and turn the ball over, and I’m not sure that is fixable. Smith is so one-dimensional and that dimension isn’t great to begin with. Barcello has looked terrible against any mediocre and above competition. Agreed on Akot being a useful role guy, but I’m concerned about his mentality if he still is a 15 minute role player his junior year after being a 5 star...might start to sour attitude-wise but may be wrong there.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
No, no, no.

Yeah, might have to agree to disagree. I think we can bring on Luther-esque grad transfer role players if need be. Lee is a big time net negative on both sides of the ball with his propensity to foul and turn the ball over, and I’m not sure that is fixable. Smith is so one-dimensional and that dimension isn’t great to begin with. Barcello has looked terrible against any mediocre and above competition. Agreed on Akot being a useful role guy, but I’m concerned about his mentality if he still is a 15 minute role player his junior year after being a 5 star...might start to sour attitude-wise but may be wrong there.
I see improvement in Akot. And you must take his age in consideration. He left for college early, perhaps too early. I want to see him get PT now for I think it will pay dividends by the end of the season. I'm not fond of Smith because of his low basketball IQ and frustrated with Lee. Lee needs to learn how to maximize his size and understand his limitations. I would still give Barcello a chance because I believe when he gains confidence he can be an asset, especially on offense.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
No, no, no.

Fair enough, although we agree on some of it. I'd be surprised if Smith returned. Barcello, I don't know. I doubt the time will ever be there.

Lee, I see him as a spot reserve to give energy in spurts. With Gettings and Nnaji there too, plus maybe a small 4, I don't think we need too much from him. Having a bench guy who knows rotations and can foul freely can come in handy. I don't really think he'll be a starter, but he can give us 10-12 and patch a hole if Jeter picks up fouls (as he's prone to do) or Nnaji is young and off.

I like Akot a lot, and love his defensive potential and flexibility. He hasn't seemed to have any attitude issues so far, so unless that changes, an experienced flexible wing who can play a small 4 is good to have. Maybe 2 threes vs Bama gives him some confidence.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lee is a ding dong
Oh man. We’ve come a long way from “AZ’s gonna be better than people think.”

Here’s holding out hope that your original estimation pans out.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

My son and I have started playing "Ira Lee Bingo"...

Square 1 = Turnover
Square 2 = Travel
Square 3 = charge
Center Square = Goal tend
Other squares = Moving screen

9 times out of 10 first touch is square 1
8 times out of 10 he has hit 4 of the five squares in each game.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:My son and I have started playing "Ira Lee Bingo"...

Square 1 = Turnover
Square 2 = Travel
Square 3 = charge
Center Square = Goal tend
Other squares = Moving screen

9 times out of 10 first touch is square 1
8 times out of 10 he has hit 4 of the five squares in each game.
How about throwing his arms up, shaking his head, popping his eyes, and acting shocked that whatever he just did got called?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Major Ding Dong.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

This Baylor game was an absolute embarrassment.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

win the pac12 or don't go dancing.

good to have the season so clearly defined this early.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Repugnant display. Has there ever been a worse half of UofA basketball in the modern era? I’m going to be saving a lot of time not going to games the rest of the season (I know. Bad fan...whatever...it’s a row 5 seat that shall remain empty). I knew this team lacked talent. I didn’t realize it lacked heart and a semblance of basketball intellect. If only I could just trade my men’s season tickets for some women’s tickets...

And fuck the Baylor puke that sat behind me tonight that didn’t have the balls to take off his neutral sweatshirt until after half time. God, I picked a bad time to stop drinking.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Siempre Verde wrote: God, I picked a bad time to stop drinking.
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Other people exist. *We've got you covered.

Edit *
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:win the pac12 Tournament or don't go dancing.

good to have the season so clearly defined this early.
Fixed it for you. I'm not at all sure that the PAC12 is going to get two bids. We may have to win the tournament.........which is going to require getting
hot from 3 pt. range for 3 consecutive nights while simultaneously keeping Jeter out of foul trouble.

After 10 years Miller stiil doesn't have the faintest idea how to attack a zone.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It feels strangely peaceful going into the holidays with no expectations for the rest of the basketball season.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Looks like Drew read the pamphlet on Miller, no matter how inept your team is they can still run simple zone and paralyze a Miller team. Millers only out is to just out-talent you for baskets in the half court with Aytons/Triers/Gordon’s/Stanleys.

Felt like an Oregon State game.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

RiseAndFire wrote:Looks like Drew read the pamphlet on Miller, no matter how inept your team is they can still run simple zone and paralyze a Miller team. Millers only out is to just out-talent you for baskets in the half court with Aytons/Triers/Gordon’s/Stanleys.

I posted it a bunch in the game thread, but in regards to attacking the zone, did anyone else have an issue with Ira Lee playing at the foul line and basically being the "quarterback" of the half court offense. How many times did he drop a pass or turn into two defenders and turn it over? Why not put Luther there? At least he's a threat to turn and shoot.

How has Miller still not solved zone defense?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Do what we do.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

billk78 wrote: I posted it a bunch in the game thread, but in regards to attacking the zone, did anyone else have an issue with Ira Lee playing at the foul line and basically being the "quarterback" of the half court offense. How many times did he drop a pass or turn into two defenders and turn it over? Why not put Luther there? At least he's a threat to turn and shoot.

Trying to channel Luke Walton was the thought I had at the time. But Lee has no real basketball IQ, at least in comparison to Luke.

Luther doesn't have the best hands either.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

At least I'm going to be able to get cheap tickets to the games.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The zone issues were beyond obvious before it ever occurred. The rebounding though....just wow.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

billk78 wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:Looks like Drew read the pamphlet on Miller, no matter how inept your team is they can still run simple zone and paralyze a Miller team. Millers only out is to just out-talent you for baskets in the half court with Aytons/Triers/Gordon’s/Stanleys.

I posted it a bunch in the game thread, but in regards to attacking the zone, did anyone else have an issue with Ira Lee playing at the foul line and basically being the "quarterback" of the half court offense. How many times did he drop a pass or turn into two defenders and turn it over? Why not put Luther there? At least he's a threat to turn and shoot.

How has Miller still not solved zone defense?
Couldn’t agree more. Ira Lee was at his absolute worst at the foul line in the middle of the zone, and that is saying a lot, because we have seen a whole lot of bad play from him this year. Frankly, I’m at the point where I really hope Miller plays Williams, Jeter, Randolph, Akot, and DD every minute they can handle going forward, as those are the only guys with a chance to contribute on this team next year.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Longhorned wrote:It feels strangely peaceful going into the holidays with no expectations for the rest of the basketball season.
This couldn't be more true.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

TucsonClip wrote:
Longhorned wrote:It feels strangely peaceful going into the holidays with no expectations for the rest of the basketball season.
Unfortunately so. After this desecration of McKale I slept like a baby. Sad, really.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TucsonClip wrote:
As you so eloquently put it elsewhere, next year is sink or swim for Miller, and quite frankly who cares how this year ends at this point, I'm on to baseball/softball season.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TucsonClip wrote:

Yep, this is just a team to watch on cruise mode, waiting for next season.

Looking at the roster, this team is much worse that Miller's former worst team, in 2009/10. Hard to believe all this talent went 16-15, but there is an extremely high amount of freshmen. But this team would still beat the current team by 20.

C 1 Kyryl Natyazhko 6 ft 10 in (2.08 m) 255 lb (116 kg) Fr Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine
G/F 3 Kevin Parrom 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m) 205 lb (93 kg) Fr Bronx, New York
G 12 Lamont Jones 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m) 200 lb (91 kg) Fr Harlem, New York
G 13 Nic Wise 5 ft 10 in (1.78 m) 180 lb (82 kg) Sr Houston, Texas
G 20 Dondre Wise 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m) 215 lb (98 kg) So Houston, Texas
G 21 Kyle Fogg 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) 185 lb (84 kg) So Brea, California
F 23 Derrick Williams 6 ft 8 in (2.03 m) 235 lb (107 kg) Fr La Mirada, California
G 24 Brendon Lavender 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m) 205 lb (93 kg) So Mesa, Arizona
F 42 Jamelle Horne 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m) 215 lb (98 kg) Jr San Diego, California
F 44 Solomon Hill 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m) 230 lb (104 kg) Fr Los Angeles, California
C 50 Alex Jacobson 7 ft 0 in (2.13 m) 245 lb (111 kg) RS So Brea, California
F 52 Max Wiepking 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m) 193 lb (88 kg) Fr Englewood, Colorado}note=W
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
As you so eloquently put it elsewhere, next year is sink or swim for Miller, and quite frankly who cares how this year ends at this point, I'm on to baseball/softball season.
If Miller falters next year with all that talent/recruiting class, it's not going to end well. We will be two years removed from the FBI news and it would be time to seriously considering moving on, from both sides.

-Shane Battier
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
Considering Miller's need to micro manage, next year won't knock anyone's socks off either, no matter how much talent there is. Why can't he let them play? Even Bill Walton has commented on it - publicly.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

He reflects properly, but we all know how Miller turns in-game.

Everything puckers up tighter than a snare drum, as Brooks Hatlen would say. And it's just choking off player development.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's not just AZ that's struggling. Everyone in the Pac aside from ASU has multiple bad losses.

Is it crazy to think that just one Pac team could reach the tourney this year? Or maybe 2, if the Pac champ and Pac tourney champ are different teams?

I like Miller and think he's still the guy we want. This roster is just so dramatically different from what we could've had if it weren't for Mark Schlabach.

At this point, I'm just hoping for some nice wins in league play and maybe a surprise in the Pac tourney. Stranger things have happened.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TucsonClip wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
If Miller falters next year with all that talent/recruiting class, it's not going to end well. We will be two years removed from the FBI news and it would be time to seriously considering moving on, from both sides.
Agreed. Next season will absolutely dictate Sean Miller's future at Arizona, especially considering UCLA will have a new coach in by the start of that season and that always comes with recruiting momentum.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

TucsonClip wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
Last edited by Captain Obvious on Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

TucsonClip wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
I agree with this. Miller is simply too myopic and micro-managing to allow his most talented players to play to their strengths and potential. This isn't going to change with the influx of new talent next year. It's been ten years already and as was proven again last night, Miller is not very adept at making in game coaching adjustments. And once again we got bewildered by a simple zone defense. I don't mind mistakes but it's annoying when we don't seem to learn from them. I have nothing against Miller but I'm beginning to wonder if parting ways and going in a new direction is the most sensible approach. WIth the FBI/NCAA judgments still pending the dark cloud hovering over the program isn't going away anytime soon. At this point I have to question whether having Miller as our head coach is more of an asset or a liability. When you have to ask that it most often equates to the latter.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

You guys calling for Miller to get fired may not be giving much thought to the cold, lifeless pool of unemployed or under-qualified coaches. Truly good coaches are really hard to find.

That said, I've been on the Miles Simon bandwagon for quite some time. He's got assistant coaching experience at the college and pro levels, and he's arguably the most important player on our only title team.

For the record, I don't want to see Sean go. This guy's gotten to three E8s and has won a bunch of Pac titles. That's not easy to do. Ask Steve Alford. But if the end of the Miller era is actually nearing, I'd like to see Miles get a crack at this.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Not saying Miller gets fired, but perhaps he is again open to the idea of leaving and resetting everything? I have no inside info, just speculating. Mainly because we are going to have a ton of talent coming in and the results need to be better than first round loss, sweet 16, first round loss, not even factoring this loss of a season.

-Shane Battier
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

This is Arizona basketball, not football; we are not going to take a chance on somebody with no track record of success as a head coach. That would be insane. I don’t care who it is. Steve Kerr is the only time I’ve ever seen that work out well and there was plenty of evidence indicating it would work out. Is Damon Stoudamire tearing it up yet? He was a better player than Miles. I agree that there are few coaches I would hire over Miller. So unless you have indications that those people are ready to come to Tucson, how could you even think of ushering Miller out the door? Unless something additional comes to light in the FBI thing. As it is, it hasn’t hurt our recruiting so I don’t really think that is an argument to make as to why he should be gone.

I’m just curious if KenPom or other analytical sites have actual evidence that Miller coached teams are worse against the zone than anybody else. I suspect there is a lot of self-reinforcing opinions here. This team isn’t bad against the zone, it’s just bad. Full stop.
Last edited by ByJoveByJingle on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I am just slowly (actually it’s pretty fast) losing interest in college basketball in general

It’s so fucking terrible compared to the NBA. Watching Lakers vs Hornets yesterday and then Arizona vs Baylor was just unreal in how enjoyable the NBA game was compared to a college basketball game. The college game is so behind the NBA. It’s the exact opposite in football to me too. I think the college game is more exciting.

I just look at a guy like Kyle Kuzma who I never remember from Utah who now thrives in the NBA. Same as Trier. Trier is ten times more fun to watch at the NBA level then in college.

Sorry for the rant but I’m curious I how feel next year with all the talent we have coming in.

If I lived in Tucson I would not buy expensive season tickets anymore to watch such crappy basketball.

I think Miller gets two more years. If no final four by then with nexts Year’s class, I think it’s time to part from him. No idea who we gets that better so might be a Tomey type call where you can’t keep him since the whole fan base is done with them but you end up regretting firing him.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Newportcat wrote:I am just slowly (actually it’s pretty fast) losing interest in college basketball in general

It’s so fucking terrible compared to the NBA. Watching Lakers vs Hornets yesterday and then Arizona vs Baylor was just unreal in how enjoyable the NBA game was compared to a college basketball game. The college game is so behind the NBA. It’s the exact opposite in football to me too. I think the college game is more exciting.

I just look at a guy like Kyle Kuzma who I never remember from Utah who now thrives in the NBA. Same as Trier. Trier is ten times more fun to watch at the NBA level then in college.

Sorry for the rant but I’m curious I how feel next year with all the talent we have coming in.

If I lived in Tucson I would not buy expensive season tickets anymore to watch such crappy basketball.

I think Miller gets two more years. If no final four by then with nexts Year’s class, I think it’s time to part from him. No idea who we gets that better so might be a Tomey type call where you can’t keep him since the whole fan base is done with them but you end up regretting firing him.
I agree about the vast contrast between watching the best professionals in the world compared to mediocre college teams in mid-December, but March Madness remains the best spectator sport on the planet. Pre-conference games in particular are really for a select audience of fanatics, connoisseurs, and college students. They aren’t supposed to compare the NBA.