Nico Mannion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Nico Mannion

Post by Beachcat97 »

Man I hope Nico stays for more than a single season. Feels like he's one of the more important recruits we've had in some time.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Javon is the engine of that SMHS team. Jaelon has lightning quick hands and gets his hands on everything. But his game isn't well rounded.

#24 for Pinnacle had ice water in his veins
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Nico looks like he has stones aplenty. Also saw some matador defense (punny pun pun) and failure to block out. But that’s the kind of thing Miller will fix. Gonna be fun next year.

Suggestion to Mods:

Could we pin a thread at the top of the major boards with the YouTube embed code? I usually have to go find a post with a video, quote that post, then paste it into my post and replace the link. Which is fine, but sometimes it’s hard to find a model post when you need it.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

EVCat wrote:Javon is the engine of that SMHS team. Jaelon has lightning quick hands and gets his hands on everything. But his game isn't well rounded.

#24 for Pinnacle had ice water in his veins
Yeah that kid was money #24
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Wow, that game was insane and that shot was plain nasty. Wish I was there to see that go down

Here is an extended video of the game. It is definitely worth watching

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Suggestion to Mods:

Could we pin a thread at the top of the major boards with the YouTube embed code? I usually have to go find a post with a video, quote that post, then paste it into my post and replace the link. Which is fine, but sometimes it’s hard to find a model post when you need it.
Just right click on the video and select, copy embed code. I'm not sure how to make it work on mobile
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Nico and Pinnacle are on ESPN 2 right now vs Jalen Green. Game's at the half.

Edit: I came in late. Nico has 23 in the first half and Green has 21.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I know I've said this before, but I've become a huge fan of Nico's game. He has two sweet assists in the first two minutes of the third.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

If he was playing at AZ right now, AZ would be in the top 25 without question. He changes the game completely. One of the most exciting prospects in years.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote:If he was playing at AZ right now, AZ would be in the top 25 without question. He changes the game completely. One of the most exciting prospects in years.
I watched him for a bit, because I'd forgotten our game was happening. He is really good. Great court sense, solid shooter, makes a lot of plays. When he's not the huge focus of the other team, he'll have more freedom to go.

He's also good on and off ball, which is one reason I'm really excited to see him pair with BWill. They both can play with or without the ball. If they blend well, we'll have two highly capable PG's who can also transform into highly capable SG's at any given moment.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Had to watch the ginger ninja because the black mermaid has been disappointing lately.

Full Game highlights:

Nico Mannion Highlights:

Last edited by NYCat on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nico’s got that game where he lulls you to sleep with a soft dribble then plants his foot and he’s by you in an instant, into the lane, ready to pass out to a shooter or go to the rim.

TJ used to do that but didn’t go all the way to the hoop. So now I’m excited.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I was trying to think of who Nico reminded me of and it just hit me. He reminds me of Steve Blake with more athleticism. He has the same sort of change of pace pattern and the way he does so many things well that nothing really stands out. Blake was sort of herky jerky in the good way, and I see that in Nico's game.

Chi's comment about lulling someone to sleep is what made it click for me. Nico varies his pace a lot and does it really unpredictably.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

That hesitation dribble, or extra dribble, is so deadly. It takes body control and handle to start and stop with enough speed to make a difference. That extra dribble also allows for action off the ball to develop...hesitate, look, go.

There are a lot of guards who try to utilize that, but never sell the hesitation, or come to too much of a stop, just resetting the defense.

It's pretty. Khalid Reeves, to go way back with us, had an excellent hesitation dribble and explosion off of it.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

https://247sports.com/Player/Nico-Mannion-46035982/" target="_blank

Gershon on his profile page gives a player comp, Goran Dragic
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... co-mannion" target="_blank

Q&A with five-star Nico Mannion

Eric Bossi (EB): When you have a matchup like this with a top player, ESPN and all of that, how do you keep an individual matchup from interfering with the team goal?

Nico Mannion (NM): I would say that I’m kind of an unselfish player, so I just try to make the right play. I don’t really try to get into that personal one-on-one stuff. Being on a big stage against great players, I just try to keep my composure and play the right ways at all times.

EB: There were some negative headlines for Arizona over the last year. What did Sean Miller and his staff do to make you feel comfortable?

NM: Me and my dad asked questions. We asked the head of compliance and we were comfortable with all of the answers we heard. So I wasn’t really worried about it with what we got for answers. I was comfortable with the decision. I know there was a lot of noise going on around outside of it and I’m not really going to speak on that. I know what’s real, so I’m not worried.

EB: From talking with other players, it seems like they got out in front of it, is that right?

NM: Yeah for sure. Anytime something happened, they were the first to call and let us know that they weren’t hiding anything That was big in gaining that trust.

EB: You made the move from 2020 to 2019 and get the commitment out of the way. What does that do for you? What about your No. 1 recruiting class?

NM: We have the No. 1 class right now and I’m stoked. I can’t wait to get up there. Everyone that’s going I’m close to. So it’s nice because we are all good players but great kids to so it will be easy to mesh that group together.

After I committed, it’s been really easy. I’m really comfortable in my decision and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. It really helps me to just play my game and not worry about anything else, just the games.

EB: I’d like to get your scouting report on the class. Let’s start with Josh Green because you’ve played with him for a while. What do you like about him, how is he going to fit in with you?

NM: Me and him already have chemistry. It will be easy to play with him. He’s just coming back off of shoulder surgery right now and is back playing games and his jumper is looking even better than it was. Still ultra athletic and he can guard one through four and he’s put on weight. He’s looking great right now. He’s easy to play with.

EB: Zeke Nnaji, what are you looking forward to about him?

NM: I haven’t really seen him play as much but from what I’ve heard he can really stretch the floor. He’s tough a tough as nails matchup and I’ve heard he’s really easy to play with. He’s not high maintenance and it will be nice to have a four that can stretch the floor, play pick and pop.

EB: Terry Armstrong is kind of that athletic X factor kind of wing. What’s you feel on him?

NM: He’s about 6-foot-7, has long arms and can score and shoot. He’s going to be easy to play with as well. The good thing about everyone in this class is that we are all close and we are all good kids. We all know what we do well and to mesh it should be easy.

EB: What about you? What’s your self scouting report?

NM: I’m a high IQ point guard. I really like to pass, I really like to get the ball ahead and push because I feel like I play well in transition. I also feel like I can shoot and if we need a bucket, I can get one.

EB: Do you take a lot of pride in being the No. 1 class in the country?

NM: I do. When I committed, I really wanted to get that one spot or at least be top three. Once Terry came, Josh had already come, then Zeke was that piece to push us over the edge because we needed a four. The fact that Zeke committed was huge.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I know everyone is excited about the possibility of Mannion/Williams/Green/Randolph (hopefully) but Nico isn't a 1andD and in 2 years it could be pretty good also.

Sophomore Nico/Junior Doutrieve (we've seen flashes, hopefully he keeps improving)/Sophomore Armstrong. Plus maybe add a Ziaire Williams, Marjon Beauchamp and maybe Arizona can make a run at Jalen Green or Jalen Johnson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

from the Jefe post above - extrapolated for context

“I would say that I’m kind of an unselfish player, so I just try to make the right play. I don’t really try to get into that personal one-on-one stuff. Being on a big stage against great players, I just try to keep my composure and play the right ways at all times.”

Nico Mannion
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

97cats wrote:from the Jefe post above - extrapolated for context

“I would say that I’m kind of an unselfish player, so I just try to make the right play. I don’t really try to get into that personal one-on-one stuff. Being on a big stage against great players, I just try to keep my composure and play the right ways at all times.”

Nico Mannion
Words indicative he's a high IQ player; make plays appropriate to the situation that benefit the team the most. I like the effort of this years team but I'd like to see a little more improvement in our basketball IQ. Fortunately the team is learning because they listen to Miller and work hard. Hopefully that results in playing smarter as the season progresses.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:from the Jefe post above - extrapolated for context

Nico Mannion
I don't worry about his offensive adjustment at all. I think he'll be great and flow really naturally into our team.

I have the same concern as with a lot of good HS prospects, D. He doesn't really have to play hard right now. Next year, he will, and adjusting that intensity and learning concepts will really separate how good he truly is.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Chicat wrote:
Let's hope Miller lets him play rather than planting himself courtside to direct the kid's every move.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

It’s amazing how Miller fools all these top flight point guards and their parents’ and handlers to come to Arizona when we all know he’s just going to put the clamps on them and not let them play when they get here.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:It’s amazing how Miller fools all these top flight point guards and their parents’ and handlers to come to Arizona when we all know he’s just going to put the clamps on them and not let them play when they get here.
Lulz

This is the first top flight PG we've had in the Miller era. I don't count TJ. He was a transfer
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I see what you mean.

Nico Mannion (*****)
Brandon Williams (****)
Jahvon Quinerly
Kobi Simmons (*****)
Justin Simon (*****)
PJC (****)
Josiah Turner (*****)
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:It’s amazing how Miller fools all these top flight point guards and their parents’ and handlers to come to Arizona when we all know he’s just going to put the clamps on them and not let them play when they get here.
My thoughts exactly. It seems like eventually players will get wiser and head elsewhere to play for coaches who will utilize their talents and strengths. But Miller pays top dollar so I guess that's enough to keep landing the big time recruits. :lol:
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Haha, sorry Captain Obvious—I thought I was being obviously facetious. My point was that after 10 years these people who know more about basketball than we do would have seen through what seems so obvious to Captain Obvious. There are plenty of other high paying programs these recruits could have chosen.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I see what you mean.

Nico Mannion (*****)
Brandon Williams (****)
Jahvon Quinerly
Kobi Simmons (*****)
Justin Simon (*****)
PJC (****)
Josiah Turner (*****)

that list is funny haha
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Captain Obvious wrote:
My thoughts exactly. It seems like eventually players will get wiser and head elsewhere to play for coaches who will utilize their talents and strengths. But Miller pays top dollar so I guess that's enough to keep landing the big time recruits. :lol:
Ben Howland syndrome. Boosters + school name get you talent until people get sick of your attitude, coaching limits and declining performance and it ends ugly.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

legallykenny wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
Ben Howland syndrome. Boosters + school name get you talent until people get sick of your attitude, coaching limits and declining performance and it ends ugly.
Pretty weak reasoning there. So in a thread about a 5 star point guard commit you’re going to argue that “coaching limits and declining performance” has resulted in the Howland downward spiral and declining recruiting returns? After he just signed the #1 recruiting class while swimming upstream against ESPN and the FBI? Forgetting for a second that Howland now has his traditional powerhouse team (Mississippi State) ranked and trending upward while the 11 Banners Institute is in a death spiral. :roll:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Haha, I love how they’re coming out of the woodwork all of a sudden.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
Pretty weak reasoning there. So in a thread about a 5 star point guard commit you’re going to argue that “coaching limits and declining performance” has resulted in the Howland downward spiral and declining recruiting returns? After he just signed the #1 recruiting class while swimming upstream against ESPN and the FBI? Forgetting for a second that Howland now has his traditional powerhouse team (Mississippi State) ranked and trending upward while the 11 Banners Institute is in a death spiral. :roll:
Ben Howland's last class at UCLA had the #1 recruit in the country when he and Addidas went all in for one last shot after several years of disappointment. Trend lines are very familiar here.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Chicat wrote:Haha, I love how they’re coming out of the woodwork all of a sudden.
No, some of us have questioned Miller for years.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

There really aren’t any parallels. Howland thrived on a certain kind of mid-level recruit and didn’t start pursuing (or signing) high level recruits until the performance started to tail off. Or, alternative reading, the performance started to tail off after he started signing high level recruits. Miller has attracted high level recruits almost continuously since Year 2. Your dissatisfaction in Miller has more traction with the “he should have done more with the high level recruiting” angle.

To be clear, I can see the trend of the past few years and I’m not happy about it. But Miller has earned the right to see if he can turn things around. Before the last few years, Miller’s rep and stats pointed to a coach that outperformed expectations in the tourney. I’m ready to give him the chance to see if the poor recent results were more a function of mistakes in his role as General Manager/Director of Player Personnel rather than declining performance as Head Coach.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

legallykenny wrote:
Chicat wrote:Haha, I love how they’re coming out of the woodwork all of a sudden.
No, some of us have questioned Miller for years.
Yep, once a year.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Mannion faired well against a very good Devin Askew out of Mater Dei in Santa Ana, CA, scoring 45 points while facing the five-star guard from the class of 2021 in a losing effort out in Rancho Mirage.

Mater Dei coach Gary McKnight later said their length and size wore Pinnacle down and that a fast start and strong play from his guards helped.

When asked specifically about Mannion and his unwillingness to give up:

“I thought he was better than Jason Kidd, McKnight said. And and I coached against him when they beat us in the state finals, and I put him better than Kidd.”

high praise - Jason Kidd was the greatest high school player I ever saw till my eyes fell on LeBron James...and granted, I didn’t see Alcindor or Jordan live in high school.

either way, McKight has been around a long time - coaching and coaching against 1000’s of great players.

Mannion averaged 33.8 points in the Rancho Mirage Invitational event.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Wow thats high praise

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Nico and BWill makes me excited every time I think about it. If Nico stays as a soph and Brandon as a junior, I think thoughts that embarass me to speak out loud.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Nico and BWill makes me excited every time I think about it. If Nico stays as a soph and Brandon as a junior, I think thoughts that embarass me to speak out loud.
i actually think its sooner than that, like next year sooner...

Mannion
Williams
Randolph
Green
Jeter

Akot
Lee
Nnaji
Doutrive
Smith
Armstrong
Koloko

is a Final Four caliber team, imo

add in a transfer BIG and Arizona is LOADED - yes Mannion is that good
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Mannion has so much more than most high school players...he is refined. He is studied. His footwork is insanely good. He has the hesitation dribble that, if your head is up when you execute it, makes you lethal. He has range and can get that shot up quickly. His footwork (again) allows for subtle step backs and body control. And he is athletic.

And he is a bit of a MFer...and I mean that positively. He is fierce. Competitive. Trained at high levels. The son of accomplished athletes but not in the era of multi-million dollar spoils...comfortable, able to get the best coaching (including dad), and wanting it. Watch that AAU doc that features PJC...not to compare their physical abilities, but PJC was pushed and pushed through injury and it seemed his dad wanted it more than he did. Not Nico.

Yeah...we always latch onto a major recruit and say he is special. We talk them up. But what makes this kid different is he is not AAU raw. He is ready from day one, coached, mature, has handled spotlight, and along with a ballsy shooter who is one of the best pure high school but maybe not college killers I have seen (Trent Brown...he never misses. Small, not a lot of handle, Big Sky school level maybe, but an absolute cold blooded killer) and not much else, has carried Pinnacle to some big wins. He is super competitive, and with the skills. Lots of "raw" in the top 100...but Nico isn't raw.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

97cats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Nico and BWill makes me excited every time I think about it. If Nico stays as a soph and Brandon as a junior, I think thoughts that embarass me to speak out loud.

Mannion
Williams
Randolph
Green
Jeter

Akot
Lee
Nnaji
Doutrive
Smith
Armstrong
Koloko

I like the highlights I've seen of Armstrong. Hopefully Nnaji can by a physical force. I would love to have an athletic team on defense to extend pressure and physicality and length in the paint to protect the rim. That's the perfect recipe for a a team that can go on those 24-2 death runs that we used to know and love at McKale.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:

Mannion
Williams
Randolph
Green
Jeter

Akot
Lee
Nnaji
Doutrive
Smith
Armstrong
Koloko

Oh, I agree we might be there next year. I think we're loaded without a transfer big. Jeter, Gettings, Lee, and Nnaji are 4 solid options.

I just drool at the thought of Nico and Brandon teaming for more than one year. Not that we won't be very good next year, but with a year of playing together, it would go from very good to unreal.

Interesting you include Randolph returning. I'm not sure he will, but if he does, we are super loaded.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Interesting you include Randolph returning. I'm not sure he will, but if he does, we are super loaded.
if Randolph leaves that thinking will remain right in line with his actions already displayed on the floor and off it since attending Arizona - King Ding Dong
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

What...he wasn't supposed to call time out? Coach was yelling "time out"

"(something something) trapped in the corner (something something) TIME OUT!!!"
az91

Post by az91 »

97cats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
if Randolph leaves that thinking will remain right in line with his actions already displayed on the floor and off it since attending Arizona - King Ding Dong
Is it safe to assume he is not one of your favorite players? Is it to the point that it would be better if he did move on after this year?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Nico is good at basketball.

BR...not so much.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I'm not sure whether that nickname concerns me or seems dirty.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It’s a great nickname because King Ding Dong is the Ding Dong with the crown and scepter on the box of Ding Dongs. Sometimes I wonder at your lack of knowledge about Hostess products.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
You think he starts over Green/Williams/Nnaji though? That's why I think he goes.