Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EastCoastCat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by EastCoastCat »

Can someone please pull the old Chris Rodgers/you don't know me quote.

I think it needs to be resurrected...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote:Can someone please pull the old Chris Rodgers/you don't know me quote.

I think it needs to be resurrected...
The true shall set you free...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

What did Coleman say?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

EOCT wrote:And still feels like behind all this is a fact that Coach was a cooperating FBI witness. I’m sure you guys aren’t buying my intuition.
May or may not be it, but there's definitely another layer to all this. Our situation is not playing out like the rest of the big or bigger programs, you got the global sports leader and other media outlets, including local, who have a diamond-cutting hard on for Miller and/or our program, and plenty of other weird twists and turns.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

rgdeuce wrote:
EOCT wrote:And still feels like behind all this is a fact that Coach was a cooperating FBI witness. I’m sure you guys aren’t buying my intuition.
May or may not be it, but there's definitely another layer to all this. Our situation is not playing out like the rest of the big or bigger programs, you got the global sports leader and other media outlets, including local, who have a diamond-cutting hard on for Miller and/or our program, and plenty of other weird twists and turns.
its definitely a very bad sign its playing out this way. the only media person protecting Miller is jason scheer and he gets fed all of his inside information from people close to the team so i cant truly trust him.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

I think this effort to sabotage Miller's tenure at AZ was spearheaded by ESPN because they want him coaching out east on a team that is more prominently featured on their network. Miller will be one of the next Roy Williams, Coach K, Calipari, Izzo, etc.

That's my feel. Conspiracy theory.

I believe Miller is ethical and has all he has done to create an atmosphere of compliance.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think it’s just a potent combination of bad things, some of which is true, some of which is untrue, and some of which is untrue and impossible, but kept as a placeholder in order to uphold claims. An important element in all this is, regardless of whether you believe mainstream media is ‘fake news’, sports journalism at ESPN simply doesn’t operate by the same investigative standards as journalism in other areas. And Miller has at least shown poor judgement in who he continued to keep in the program. Fans have been too dismissive of the significance of Book profiting from PGU and Phelps lending money to a player, which is something that got spun. Keeping them in their positions was a judgment call. Where would things be now with a different call?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:I think it’s just a potent combination of bad things, some of which is true, some of which is untrue, and some of which is untrue and impossible, but kept as a placeholder in order to uphold claims. An important element in all this is, regardless of whether you believe mainstream media is ‘fake news’, sports journalism at ESPN simply doesn’t operate by the same investigative standards as journalism in other areas. And Miller has at least shown poor judgement in who he continued to keep in the program. Fans have been too dismissive of the significance of Book profiting from PGU and Phelps lending money to a player, which is something that got spun. Keeping them in their positions was a judgment call. Where would things be now with a different call?

great post and who knows, but Sean Miller has to live with the company he chose to keep.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Bordercat wrote:I think this effort to sabotage Miller's tenure at AZ was spearheaded by ESPN because they want him coaching out east on a team that is more prominently featured on their network. Miller will be one of the next Roy Williams, Coach K, Calipari, Izzo, etc.

That's my feel. Conspiracy theory.

I believe Miller is ethical and has all he has done to create an atmosphere of compliance.
Someone should convey this to dookie v. His Hearts in the right place but his aim is off.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I think it’s just a potent combination of bad things, some of which is true, some of which is untrue, and some of which is untrue and impossible, but kept as a placeholder in order to uphold claims. An important element in all this is, regardless of whether you believe mainstream media is ‘fake news’, sports journalism at ESPN simply doesn’t operate by the same investigative standards as journalism in other areas. And Miller has at least shown poor judgement in who he continued to keep in the program. Fans have been too dismissive of the significance of Book profiting from PGU and Phelps lending money to a player, which is something that got spun. Keeping them in their positions was a judgment call. Where would things be now with a different call?

great post and who knows, but Sean Miller has to live with the company he chose to keep.
Yep.

Here's my biggest issue as I sit here today about Sean Miller. What is our long term prospects with him as our guy outside of next season, especially with this current administration? Are we as fans and the boosters just denying the inevitable for one more run and so we can brag Nico Mannion and Josh Green are alums? Can we go back to normal? Is it remotely possible, even if say Heeke was shitcanned tomorrow? Ultimately are we just wasting our fricken time here and delaying our ability to get back up to the top of the heap? That is my biggest struggle with Sean Miller as Arizona's head coach at the moment and I can't shake it.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ChooChooCat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
pc in NM wrote: Can you explain this , please?
Arizona and the NCAA have the same exact information. Neither party has more nor less, so it's literally impossible.
If the NCAA said to Phelps' Lawyer that it had no findings, but that the investigation was still underway and had more interviews to conduct, how is it impossible that the U of A's compliance staff hadn't already interviewed some of those people. That certainly seems possible.

I work in healthcare compliance, and compliance staff of any organization that I have ever interfaced with always try to know more, and before, any external entity - and, if competent, they usually do, unless there is a whistle-blower who goes directly to the external entity.

Is this somehow different in collegiate athletics compliance?
The second Arizona gets info it shares it with the NCAA and vice versa. They have the same exact information. Arizona is firing a coach that the NCAA hasn't deemed did anything wrong yet utilizing the same exact information. I honestly don't know what more you want me to say here.
I’m sorry, but, besides being completely impractical, that does not make sense from either the standards organization’s, or the complying organization’s, standpoints. No other governmental or commercial standards compliance protocols work that way, and I personally, As a compliance professional, require some reliable source to verify your claim.

Just a single reference re: NCAA standards - compliance staff at UNC, were aware of the phoney classes for a long time, reported them internally, and then one later chose to go outside routine protocols to disclose the information. If that set of facts were contrary to NCAA procedures as you claim, then that, alone, would have been a “violation”.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
pc in NM wrote: Can you explain this , please?
Arizona and the NCAA have the same exact information. Neither party has more nor less, so it's literally impossible.
If the NCAA said to Phelps' Lawyer that it had no findings, but that the investigation was still underway and had more interviews to conduct, how is it impossible that the U of A's compliance staff hadn't already interviewed some of those people. That certainly seems possible.

I work in healthcare compliance, and compliance staff of any organization that I have ever interfaced with always try to know more, and before, any external entity - and, if competent, they usually do, unless there is a whistle-blower who goes directly to the external entity.

Is this somehow different in collegiate athletics compliance?
The second Arizona gets info it shares it with the NCAA and vice versa. They have the same exact information. Arizona is firing a coach that the NCAA hasn't deemed did anything wrong yet utilizing the same exact information. I honestly don't know what more you want me to say here.
I’m sorry, but, besides being completely impractical, that does not make sense from either the standards organization’s, or the complying organization’s, standpoints. No other governmental or commercial standards compliance protocols work that way, and I personally, As a compliance professional, require some reliable source to verify your claim.

Just a single reference re: NCAA standards - compliance staff at UNC, were aware of the phoney classes for a long time, reported them internally, and then one later chose to go outside routine protocols to disclose the information. If that set of facts were contrary to NCAA procedures as you claim, then that, alone, would have been a “violation”.
When did UNC self-report to the NCAA and also were they cooperating? Arizona and the NCAA have been lock step with this Phelps deal since day 1 as they were both notified at the same time. Look if you don't want to believe me feel free, I've delivered you the explanation on a silver platter, if you don't like the explanation that's not my problem. Good luck.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Arizona and the NCAA have the same exact information. Neither party has more nor less, so it's literally impossible.[/quote]

Is this somehow different in collegiate athletics compliance?[/quote]

The second Arizona gets info it shares it with the NCAA and vice versa. They have the same exact information. Arizona is firing a coach that the NCAA hasn't deemed did anything wrong yet utilizing the same exact information. I honestly don't know what more you want me to say here.[/quote]

Just a single reference re: NCAA standards - compliance staff at UNC, were aware of the phoney classes for a long time, reported them internally, and then one later chose to go outside routine protocols to disclose the information. If that set of facts were contrary to NCAA procedures as you claim, then that, alone, would have been a “violation”.[/quote]

When did UNC self-report to the NCAA and also were they cooperating? Arizona and the NCAA have been lock step with this Phelps deal since day 1 as they were both notified at the same time. Look if you don't want to believe me feel free, I've delivered you the explanation on a silver platter, if you don't like the explanation that's not my problem. Good luck.[/quote]

You speak about this issue as is you know exactly what Heeke knows (which I seriously doubt). Do you really expect everyone here to believe that you have access to the internal investigation???.........much less what Heeke knows about the Phelps situation??? You strike me as someone who has very strong opinions about something that you don't have all the facts about.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:
You speak about this issue as is you know exactly what Heeke knows (which I seriously doubt). Do you really expect everyone here to believe that you have access to the internal investigation???.........much less what Heeke knows about the Phelps situation??? You strike me as someone who has very strong opinions about something that you don't have all the facts about.
:roll:

Have a great day dmj.
prh

Post by prh »

Lol I remember when people didn't believe 97 about stuff either. deja vu
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

If the Board of Regents is approving of the Phelps personnel action, then, I am confident that they received a report from administration staff, and that, therefore, both the AD and Robbins know the facts of the case as discovered by internal compliance and reported to the Board.

That's just how organizations work.

I have no idea what those facts they claim to know are. But, I do allow for the possibility (even likelihood), that they and the NCAA investigators (since the sharing of the original information) have independently conducted investigations (note, plural).

I also allow for the possibility that Phelps could have violated some internal expectation (maybe even second offense) that they are basing their personnel action on, AND that that could also NOT constitute a NCAA investigation. In such a case, I do not see the issue necessarily reflecting badly on CSM.

OTOH, I believe that is is possible that the internal investigation found a fire-able offense that is ALSO a NCAA violation. In that case, it could easily reflect on CSM's standing.

I do feel that I can state that I see no reason from any of the currently available evidence to believe that CSM's confirmation of the personnel decision has not been freely given by him.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Do we know what exactly happened regarding Phelps and O’Neal?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:

Yep.

Here's my biggest issue as I sit here today about Sean Miller. What is our long term prospects with him as our guy outside of next season, especially with this current administration? Are we as fans and the boosters just denying the inevitable for one more run and so we can brag Nico Mannion and Josh Green are alums? Can we go back to normal? Is it remotely possible, even if say Heeke was shitcanned tomorrow? Ultimately are we just wasting our fricken time here and delaying our ability to get back up to the top of the heap? That is my biggest struggle with Sean Miller as Arizona's head coach at the moment and I can't shake it.
The answer my friend is blowin in the the wind, the answer is blowin in the wind...

Or fuck Dylan...like my man Bon Jovi said ... We’re goin down in a blaze of glory...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

As the iconic Metal band, Grim Reaper screamed: “See you in Hell my friend, I’ll see you in Hell.”
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

pc in NM wrote:If the Board of Regents is approving of the Phelps personnel action, then, I am confident that they received a report from administration staff, and that, therefore, both the AD and Robbins know the facts of the case as discovered by internal compliance and reported to the Board.

That's just how organizations work.

I have no idea what those facts they claim to know are. But, I do allow for the possibility (even likelihood), that they and the NCAA investigators (since the sharing of the original information) have independently conducted investigations (note, plural).

I also allow for the possibility that Phelps could have violated some internal expectation (maybe even second offense) that they are basing their personnel action on, AND that that could also NOT constitute a NCAA investigation. In such a case, I do not see the issue necessarily reflecting badly on CSM.

OTOH, I believe that is is possible that the internal investigation found a fire-able offense that is ALSO a NCAA violation. In that case, it could easily reflect on CSM's standing.

I do feel that I can state that I see no reason from any of the currently available evidence to believe that CSM's confirmation of the personnel decision has not been freely given by him.
I wasn't aware of this until it was mentioned in this morning's Hansen column.
But the biggest warning of the potential for more trouble was a November report in The Arizona Republic. It stated that two Phoenix law firms had already spent more than 3,000 hours investigating Arizona’s basketball program. Cost to the UA: more than $1.4 million.

Few Top 25-level basketball programs could survive that type of examination without the discovery of a broken rule or two, big or small.

In reality, three things became clear once Arizona chose to support and retain Sean Miller in March of 2018:

1. The UA would be proactive in searching for evidence of wrongdoing, leaving no stone unturned.

2. The school would take a zero-tolerance stance.

3. To minimize risk, Arizona would strictly follow the advice of attorneys.
So, yes, it seems more than likely that the U of A is way ahead of any NCAA investigators regarding possible violations, and intends to act BEFORE any NCAA findings whenever possible.

And, if this seemingly relatively minor finding on Phelps and O'Neill is all they've come up with so far, I'd guess that CSM is likely in the clear. At least, I have some basis for optimism there. (After such an exhaustive investigation, if cleared, CSM might be the "cleanest" coach in the NCAA!!)

― Kinky Friedman
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Any chance a former player contacted the NCAA about the Phelps issue?

Just seems odd this would come up since ONeal ran to UCLA.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:

Yep.

My take on all the quotes in this post...

Keeping Book was a mistake, in retrospect. But I can see feeling like you did enough when you required some kind of rehabilitation and busted him down a seat. If anything, you would think Book would be more loyal than ever. But he didn't change, and Sean owns some of the culpability for keeping him, no doubt.

Keeping Phelps after the Pinder thing? Not something that would have even registered in most coaching staffs as a fireable offense. Especially with the laundry list of top recruits that Phelps was the lead guy for. If you knew of other things, sure...but that is hindsight. The Book retention after his issues and the Phelps retention after Pinder are two different worlds to me.

Can we bust through all of this with Miller, long term? Probably not. But possibly, given the state of college basketball in general. We have seen Self take a hit. We know others are coming. We might have company. Does that change how the NCAA reacts? Possibly. As for internally, and this is more the issue to me than boosters being able to say Mannion and Green were alums...

...where are we right now if we fire Miller? We are a crater. This team has nothing much returning next year...a couple of pieces. We would likely lose this coming class. And we are in the middle of, at the very least, intense scrutiny. Who the hell is going to come here right now? I don't see it as delaying and wasting our time...I see it as the only chance we have to get to the other side of this and transition with some grace. We are likely fucked. Maybe. But if we pull the ripcord now, we are definately fucked. I'd rather take my chances on the other side of this, when something actually happens, then try to go to coaches and say "we are firing Miller right now for some things his assistants did. He cooperated with the FBI, the NCAA has not made any claim of violation at this point, but we fired him. Ignore that, though...we swear we will support you. Oh, and come coach our team with pending NCAA violations that we just probably made worse by throwing an assistant under the bus. We clearly think the hammer is going to drop, which is clear with our firing Miller, but we'll stick with you through the crap. We promise. Pinky swear".

The time for firing if you wanted to start over was last year. It is too late, now, IMO. Better off being Tark and getting the band back together for one last run that might be extended than to quit now and guarantee a bleak future. I don't think moving on right now is worth it because I don't think there is anyone we could hire right now that would make it worth it. AND I don't, at this point, think Miller has done anything worth being fired for.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Firing Miller this year would have the same effect as Heeke firing Phelps before the jury is even seated...it would destroy UA basketball for the next 5 years...NO recruit, NO coach would want to come here that was worth having...

As much as some do not want to admit it we are on the Miller ride until it comes to a full stop when he says it does.

But we can still enjoy the ride...frankly I think Miller is a lot more teachable than we give him credit for...

How he uses time outs and the zone are things that we only see from the cheap seats...the rest of it is luck.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:

Yep.

Keeping Book was a mistake, in retrospect. But I can see feeling like you did enough when you required some kind of rehabilitation and busted him down a seat. If anything, you would think Book would be more loyal than ever. But he didn't change, and Sean owns some of the culpability for keeping him, no doubt.

Keeping Phelps after the Pinder thing? Not something that would have even registered in most coaching staffs as a fireable offense. Especially with the laundry list of top recruits that Phelps was the lead guy for. If you knew of other things, sure...but that is hindsight. The Book retention after his issues and the Phelps retention after Pinder are two different worlds to me.

Can we bust through all of this with Miller, long term? Probably not. But possibly, given the state of college basketball in general. We have seen Self take a hit. We know others are coming. We might have company. Does that change how the NCAA reacts? Possibly. As for internally, and this is more the issue to me than boosters being able to say Mannion and Green were alums...

...where are we right now if we fire Miller? We are a crater. This team has nothing much returning next year...a couple of pieces. We would likely lose this coming class. And we are in the middle of, at the very least, intense scrutiny. Who the hell is going to come here right now? I don't see it as delaying and wasting our time...I see it as the only chance we have to get to the other side of this and transition with some grace. We are likely fucked. Maybe. But if we pull the ripcord now, we are definately fucked. I'd rather take my chances on the other side of this, when something actually happens, then try to go to coaches and say "we are firing Miller right now for some things his assistants did. He cooperated with the FBI, the NCAA has not made any claim of violation at this point, but we fired him. Ignore that, though...we swear we will support you. Oh, and come coach our team with pending NCAA violations that we just probably made worse by throwing an assistant under the bus. We clearly think the hammer is going to drop, which is clear with our firing Miller, but we'll stick with you through the crap. We promise. Pinky swear".

The time for firing if you wanted to start over was last year. It is too late, now, IMO. Better off being Tark and getting the band back together for one last run that might be extended than to quit now and guarantee a bleak future. I don't think moving on right now is worth it because I don't think there is anyone we could hire right now that would make it worth it. AND I don't, at this point, think Miller has done anything worth being fired for.
Great post. Really has made me reflect on how I view things at the moment. I've made previous posts saying Arizona is stuck with Miller just as Miller is stuck with Arizona. It's honestly a broken marriage that you have to hold together for the kids, but ultimately it's headed for divorce. I guess that's what bothers me, there's no clear future, and that sucks. We're just wasting time, but we don't have any other choice.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Need to stick with Miller at least for a couple years I would think. I just can't get my head around what the move was by throwing Phelps under the bus for O'neal? Like Choo has said both the UofA and the NCAA had the same info so why panic and go in that direction. Did he change a transcript? Why the harsh penalty for recommending an internet class that could increase his GPA or help meet his core class needs. I guess I don't really know what he did.

I was also surprised by MIller saying he supports the UofA in the handling of that situation( i guess what else could he say). Phelps worked by his side tirelessly to bring in a group that could compete this year and of course helped compile next years top class. Seems like anything with O'neal would have been known a long time ago. Then you have a halftime soap opera pressor? What a mess
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
EVCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:

Yep.

Great post. Really has made me reflect on how I view things at the moment. I've made previous posts saying Arizona is stuck with Miller just as Miller is stuck with Arizona. It's honestly a broken marriage that you have to hold together for the kids, but ultimately it's headed for divorce. I guess that's what bothers me, there's no clear future, and that sucks. We're just wasting time, but we don't have any other choice.
If we move on from Miller, I'd prefer both sides do it for reasons other than the wolves being at the door.

I differ a little on wasting time. If we welcomed a #1 class and made a Final Four run next year, unless NCAA penalties dropped, I'd never see that as a waste of time.

The common interest is that Miller and Arizona benefit from Arizona being as strong as possible. Even if it's a divorce, us being strong enables both sides to move on in a good way instead of picking up broken pieces.

That's what I want from this. If it's the end, it's the end, but I get mad at Heeke for losing sight of fighting to make our program solid. If we keep Miller or move on, a solid program is beneficial, period.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:Need to stick with Miller at least for a couple years I would think. I just can't get my head around what the move was by throwing Phelps under the bus for O'neal? Like Choo has said both the UofA and the NCAA had the same info so why panic and go in that direction. Did he change a transcript? Why the harsh penalty for recommending an internet class that could increase his GPA or help meet his core class needs. I guess I don't really know what he did.

I was also surprised by MIller saying he supports the UofA in the handling of that situation( i guess what else could he say). Phelps worked by his side tirelessly to bring in a group that could compete this year and of course helped compile next years top class. Seems like anything with O'neal would have been known a long time ago. Then you have a halftime soap opera pressor? What a mess
I gave a link to an interview with a lawyer about the subject in the Sean Miller thread. The lawyer is saying it is likely coming from the outside lawyers that U of A has hired that has spent over $1M on. With what is going on there is zero percent change that the lawyers are allowing Heeke to fire Phelps for no reason. There is more to it despite what Scheer says.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Need to stick with Miller at least for a couple years I would think. I just can't get my head around what the move was by throwing Phelps under the bus for O'neal? Like Choo has said both the UofA and the NCAA had the same info so why panic and go in that direction. Did he change a transcript? Why the harsh penalty for recommending an internet class that could increase his GPA or help meet his core class needs. I guess I don't really know what he did.

I gave a link to an interview with a lawyer about the subject in the Sean Miller thread. The lawyer is saying it is likely coming from the outside lawyers that U of A has hired that has spent over $1M on. With what is going on there is zero percent change that the lawyers are allowing Heeke to fire Phelps for no reason. There is more to it despite what Scheer says.
A reason =/= a good reason.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

What is the plus side for having Phelps around right now? Would Arizona have beaten Washington or Washington State with Phelps on the bench?

He committed one violation and at the very least is not dotting every i and crossing every T now?
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
EVCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:

Yep.

If we move on from Miller, I'd prefer both sides do it for reasons other than the wolves being at the door.

I differ a little on wasting time. If we welcomed a #1 class and made a Final Four run next year, unless NCAA penalties dropped, I'd never see that as a waste of time.

The common interest is that Miller and Arizona benefit from Arizona being as strong as possible. Even if it's a divorce, us being strong enables both sides to move on in a good way instead of picking up broken pieces.

That's what I want from this. If it's the end, it's the end, but I get mad at Heeke for losing sight of fighting to make our program solid. If we keep Miller or move on, a solid program is beneficial, period.
I assume PAC-12 ADs still have visions of USC football getting crucified for standing up for its people who were accused of bullshit allegations.

Now why that NCAA treatment only applies to PAC-12 schools, I have no fucking idea.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

What is the plus side for having Phelps around right now? Would Arizona have beaten Washington or Washington State with Phelps on the bench?

He committed one violation and at the very least is not dotting every i and crossing every T now?
You don't even know the timing of the Shareef thing vs Keanu's plane ticket. If Shareef was prior...none of us know very much.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:The common interest is that Miller and Arizona benefit from Arizona being as strong as possible. Even if it's a divorce, us being strong enables both sides to move on in a good way instead of picking up broken pieces.
This is the core of my over-verbalized take...both sides have a need to be healthy at the end of this, even if we decide to not be healthy together (though a good run could go a long way towards soothing the situation). It is in both Miller's and the program's best interest to get to a point where we choose to separate with both being in a position of strength.

The "Fire Miller" option wouldn't hurt him, I don't believe, nearly as much as it would decimate us. But we both have a mutual need here, and that need is to get back to stable, highly-competitive ground.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Would Arizona have beaten Washington or Washington State with Phelps on the bench?
If you don't think there is an emotional component in play here, you don't understand human interaction.

Would we have beat Washington? Probably not. Would we have beaten WSU?

It has nothing to do with what Phelps would have offered on the bench, and EVERYTHING to do with the team not being under the cloud of worry and distraction and emotions at losing another assistant (the ones who are, often, much closer to the players) his firing brought about.

If you don't think that impacts 18 to 22 year old basketball players...or 50 year old coaches...you don't understand people.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Lots of good points here and I think Heeke sucks but will say this, if he was smart which seems to be a massive if, I would at least have a casual call with Luke to gauge if there is any interest in coming back to Tucson. Probably low but I think it’s highly likely he is fired and not even sure he wants to coach LAbron or under Magic anymore.

I have no insight into this and I know money is a massive issue for us, but Luke is the one coach who could keep the recruiting class together and all alums would back.

If it was guaranteed we could get Luke, I would fire Miller. Actually in a heart beat

If not, we are stuck with him and he is stuck with us.

Moving from manhattan beach to Tucson would be a tough pill to swallow

But it’s the only alternative option I see where it’s better for the program and maybe just ever so slightly possible
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I moved from Manhattan (ok, Brooklyn) to Tucson . . . and I don’t make what Luke makes. He’d get over it. When you’re bebopping all over the country and do whatever you want during the summers it’s not that great of a hardship.

This Miller situation is really one of the strangest, most angst-ridden (and depending on how it ends), most tragic tales I can recall in college hoops coaching.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I moved from Manhattan (ok, Brooklyn) to Tucson . . . and I don’t make what Luke makes. He’d get over it. When you’re bebopping all over the country and do whatever you want during the summers it’s not that great of a hardship.

This Miller situation is really one of the strangest, most angst-ridden (and depending on how it ends), most tragic tales I can recall in college hoops coaching.
I agree but he does like his beach volleyball and living close to RJ but his wife is from Tucson and her family is still in Tucson

I mean I just saw a podcast link taking about if the Lakers should fire Walton. I think they are nuts to do so but he is the easy scape goat.

To me he is the first name I have seen of a potential coach who would

1. Keep this class together
2. Make all alums, Tucson, this board, former players happy
3. Be as equal a coach then Miller (and candidly play a better brand of basketball)
4. Be willing to take the job knowing we could be hit with sanctions given he cares about our school

Steve Kerr is never coming back to college but maybe Luke would. I thought the job he did with the Lakers last year was great and think he would like being college coach at U of A better then say going and being some random NBA teams coach.

And yes the entire thing is so odd it’s almost beyond belief
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Newportcat,

The idea is so intriguing. I know it has been shot down by most as not realistic..as in why the hell would he. Still, the minute I reached out to someone (somewhat insider) to guage who our next coach was his response was hope for Luke to get fired sooner than later. Could mean absolutely nothing.

How about an all alumni coaching staff:
Luke
Simon
RJ
Damon

not sure who is doing the recruiting but that is a lot of name value :).
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RJ has a pretty sweet gig right now as an announcer.

There is a reason John Madden never went back into coaching.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Merkin wrote:RJ has a pretty sweet gig right now as an announcer.

There is a reason John Madden never went back into coaching.
My thought being.... per NC's note above...Luke is not leaving MB w/o RJ. :)

The rest of the staff will fill itself out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:Lots of good points here and I think Heeke sucks but will say this, if he was smart which seems to be a massive if, I would at least have a casual call with Luke to gauge if there is any interest in coming back to Tucson. Probably low but I think it’s highly likely he is fired and not even sure he wants to coach LAbron or under Magic anymore.

I have no insight into this and I know money is a massive issue for us, but Luke is the one coach who could keep the recruiting class together and all alums would back.

If it was guaranteed we could get Luke, I would fire Miller. Actually in a heart beat

But it’s the only alternative option I see where it’s better for the program and maybe just ever so slightly possible
Why would hiring Luke keep the recruiting class together? The guys accomplishments as a head coach are slim to none plus he has zero ties to any of our commits. Hiring Steve Kerr or an actual big coaching name sure, but hiring Lebron's scapegoat? Yeah, no.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Newportcat wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:I moved from Manhattan (ok, Brooklyn) to Tucson . . . and I don’t make what Luke makes. He’d get over it. When you’re bebopping all over the country and do whatever you want during the summers it’s not that great of a hardship.

I agree but he does like his beach volleyball and living close to RJ but his wife is from Tucson and her family is still in Tucson

I mean I just saw a podcast link taking about if the Lakers should fire Walton. I think they are nuts to do so but he is the easy scape goat.

To me he is the first name I have seen of a potential coach who would

1. Keep this class together
2. Make all alums, Tucson, this board, former players happy
3. Be as equal a coach then Miller (and candidly play a better brand of basketball)
4. Be willing to take the job knowing we could be hit with sanctions given he cares about our school

Steve Kerr is never coming back to college but maybe Luke would. I thought the job he did with the Lakers last year was great and think he would like being college coach at U of A better then say going and being some random NBA teams coach.

And yes the entire thing is so odd it’s almost beyond belief
Being a UofA alum, it never ceases to amaze me how fickle and fair weather our fanbase is. Even the writers on our fan sites are penning articles that are essentially baiting some heavy Miller bashing. I saw similar things with RichRod.

With RichRod, I never felt he was a good fit for our program. However, he only had one losing season and took us to a BCS bowl (and discovered Tate). Nothing earth shattering, but respectable.

Our fanbase suffers from a critical lack of self awareness. The problem is we haven't sucked long enough to put Miller's tenure in the proper perspective. Yes, lack of FF's suck, but well over 95 percent of the NCAA will ever reach a FF. As much as I like Luke, and I ran into him a number of times back in undergrad, I doubt he has any serious interest in taking this job. It's a thankless gig for the most part. Everyone assumes that Luke will perform better than Miller (tournament wise) but that's no guarantee.

Luke does not want to deal with the mafia that is the NCAA. He does not want to sit in sweaty gyms trying to convince AAU primadonnas to come to UofA. He does not want to glad hand and suck up to boosters and deal with unrealistic fans when he runs into a bump in the road.

Given the optics on our program looks bad. UNC's scandal in opinion was a more serious case of institutional failure and Ol' Roy seems to have turned the corner. Reality is, Miller's not going anywhere. He's going to recover next year. And I wouldn't be surprised if he took a job at another school immediately after he reaches a FF.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Lots of good points here and I think Heeke sucks but will say this, if he was smart which seems to be a massive if, I would at least have a casual call with Luke to gauge if there is any interest in coming back to Tucson. Probably low but I think it’s highly likely he is fired and not even sure he wants to coach LAbron or under Magic anymore.

Why would hiring Luke keep the recruiting class together? The guys accomplishments as a head coach are slim to none plus he has zero ties to any of our commits. Hiring Steve Kerr or an actual big coaching name sure, but hiring Lebron's scapegoat? Yeah, no.
If I am being honest, my gut tells me we paid all these recruits very well and they are sticking with us due to that more then anything. Luke is a known brand and I think would sell well to them. I do not see a situation where these kids are not getting paid to take the risk to sign with Arizona. In fact I see the opposite. Just me, have no insider knowledge but always seemed fishy to me we would land these types of players with everything going on with us without paying them really well. I also have zero issue with it and if we did it, thank whoever stepped up to make it happen as its smart. We needed a strong recruiting class.

Then I look at Luke and see a personable guy who is a famous alum who played in the league way longer then he ever should have. I do think he is a good coach as the Lakers took a big step forward from his first year to his second year. Now this year has been a challenge but they were playing well before Lebron got hurt and its basically a lose lose situation for him. I love Labron but he is not listening to any coach so needs a hack.

I candidly would love this hire. To me it seems like a perfect fit. Wife is from Tucson with her family there, he gets to become a god again in Tucson, and is not subjected to coaching in some random NBA city. He could have a long career at U of A too.

Again, could be a pipe dream but if the Lakers do fire him, I really think we should at least ask him if he has interest. At least to me, he checks all the boxes
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

If I am being honest, my gut tells me we paid all these recruits very well and they are sticking with us due to that more then anything. Luke is a known brand and I think would sell well to them. I do not see a situation where these kids are not getting paid to take the risk to sign with Arizona. In fact I see the opposite. Just me, have no insider knowledge but always seemed fishy to me we would land these types of players with everything going on with us without paying them really well.

Then I look at Luke and see a personable guy who is a famous alum who played in the league way longer then he ever should have. I do think he is a good coach as the Lakers took a big step forward from his first year to his second year. Now this year has been a challenge but they were playing well before Lebron got hurt and its basically a lose lose situation for him. I love Labron but he is not listening to any coach so needs a hack.

I candidly would love this hire. To me it seems like a perfect fit. Wife is from Tucson with her family there, he gets to become a god again in Tucson, and is not subjected to coaching in some random NBA city. He could have a long career at U of A too.

Again, could be a pipe dream but if the Lakers do fire him, I really think we should at least ask him if he has interest. At least to me, he checks all the boxes
That's something a non fan would argue. With the whole world looking at Miller, you think he arranged payments to secure his current class? Unbelievable.

Luke has zero experience coaching college ball. There's a reason Brad Stevens and Donovan refuse to coach college ball again. NCAA basketball is broken, Luke wants no part in it.

Did Andy Enfield pay his players after USC's scandal? They're top 5 as well. Oy vey, UofA fans have a long way to go.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Luke was on the University of Memphis staff FYI
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

If I am being honest, my gut tells me we paid all these recruits very well and they are sticking with us due to that more then anything. Luke is a known brand and I think would sell well to them. I do not see a situation where these kids are not getting paid to take the risk to sign with Arizona. In fact I see the opposite. Just me, have no insider knowledge but always seemed fishy to me we would land these types of players with everything going on with us without paying them really well. I also have zero issue with it and if we did it, thank whoever stepped up to make it happen as its smart. We needed a strong recruiting class.

As a prominent booster, how much were you assessed to “purchase” this class?

― Kinky Friedman
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I think he coached at Memphis briefly. (Just giving you a hard time).

But I see no way Like would come back to college.
RJ hates the NCAA. He left a year early because of the BS of Bill giving him and Luke Lakers tickets.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

pc in NM wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

As a prominent booster, how much were you assessed to “purchase” this class?
I am not a prominent booster in the athletic department. Business school/entrepreneurship program yes, but not athletic department. I mean I give but its nothing special. My family used to be much more prominent in the athletic department but been a while since they have been financially outside of ticket sales.

Give me a about 10 more years and I hopefully will be.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

RawleArenas wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

If I am being honest, my gut tells me we paid all these recruits very well and they are sticking with us due to that more then anything. Luke is a known brand and I think would sell well to them. I do not see a situation where these kids are not getting paid to take the risk to sign with Arizona. In fact I see the opposite. Just me, have no insider knowledge but always seemed fishy to me we would land these types of players with everything going on with us without paying them really well.

That's something a non fan would argue. With the whole world looking at Miller, you think he arranged payments to secure his current class? Unbelievable.

Luke has zero experience coaching college ball. There's a reason Brad Stevens and Donovan refuse to coach college ball again. NCAA basketball is broken, Luke wants no part in it.

Did Andy Enfield pay his players after USC's scandal? They're top 5 as well. Oy vey, UofA fans have a long way to go.
I am a non-fan...that's rich

Fuck yes I think Miller would cheat again. But again I do not even consider it cheating as its BS he makes $4M a year and our program generates $23M a year while the NCAA makes Billions off the tournament and the kids playing the sport get nothing but a free (mostly worthless) education. To me, its not cheating when everyone does it. Then it's just reality.

We needed a strong recruiting class this year, it was paramount. Do you think a kid like Nico comes to Arizona over another school which is paying him for free? Why? Because Miller attended more of his AAU games? Really?!?!?

Come on, live in reality. Kids get paid. We got very very sloppy but been happening forever everywhere.

Do I think Enfield cheated...FUCK YES. Of course he did, why would those recruits go to USC. Because he is a good coach or they have a good program? I mean Enfield is case in point of schools paying kids. You literally could not have picked a better example.

I agree with Brad Stevens and Donovan but both could be fired soon. and if that happens, NCAA teams would pay them massively to come back to college. That will be tough to turn down. As much as the NBA is such a better system for players, it is a terrible system for coaches. Guys get fired left and right so easily. LaBron doesnt like you....good bye.

Again, I have no clue if Luke wants to coach in college but I really doubt he is going to be coaching the Lakers next year. So a decision on his future is getting forced on him. And no other head coaching jobs exist in the South Bay outside of LMU so unless he wants to be a reporter like RJ he is going to have to figure something out.

If we could get Luke, I would make that move. If not, do nothing.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Newportcat wrote:
RawleArenas wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I am a non-fan...that's rich

Fuck yes I think Miller would cheat again. But again I do not even consider it cheating as its BS he makes $4M a year and our program generates $23M a year while the NCAA makes Billions off the tournament and the kids playing the sport get nothing but a free (mostly worthless) education. To me, its not cheating when everyone does it. Then it's just reality.

We needed a strong recruiting class this year, it was paramount. Do you think a kid like Nico comes to Arizona over another school which is paying him for free? Why? Because Miller attended more of his AAU games? Really?!?!?

Come on, live in reality. Kids get paid. We got very very sloppy but been happening forever everywhere.

Do I think Enfield cheated...FUCK YES. Of course he did, why would those recruits go to USC. Because he is a good coach or they have a good program? I mean Enfield is case in point of schools paying kids. You literally could not have picked a better example.

I agree with Brad Stevens and Donovan but both could be fired soon. and if that happens, NCAA teams would pay them massively to come back to college. That will be tough to turn down. As much as the NBA is such a better system for players, it is a terrible system for coaches. Guys get fired left and right so easily. LaBron doesnt like you....good bye.

Again, I have no clue if Luke wants to coach in college but I really doubt he is going to be coaching the Lakers next year. So a decision on his future is getting forced on him. And no other head coaching jobs exist in the South Bay outside of LMU so unless he wants to be a reporter like RJ he is going to have to figure something out.

If we could get Luke, I would make that move. If not, do nothing.
You're projecting a bit, I said that's an argument a non fan would make. Even if the Laker situation doesn't work out, you don't think Golden State will call him up again? Or he finds another job as an assistant in the NBA.

Even if Donovan and Stevens are replaced (highly unlikely), they have too much value to not bounce around the NBA. I completely understand the desire for Luke, even if the FBI stuff didn't exist. But way too many already think he's an upgrade, when he's an unproven commodity.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

How can anyone say Luke Walton would be a slam dunk hire. What has he done to justify that thought?