Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by dmjcat »

It appears that potential sanctions could be coming as soon as August.........before next season. The NCAA may be moving faster than I thought. This potentially doesn't bode well for keeping our #1 recruiting class intact.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex ... al-n979656" target="_blank

NCAA President Mark Emmert has said an independent enforcement body to adjudicate major infractions cases could be in place by August.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:It appears that potential sanctions could be coming as soon as August.........before next season. The NCAA may be moving faster than I thought. This potentially doesn't bode well for keeping our #1 recruiting class intact.

NCAA President Mark Emmert has said an independent enforcement body to adjudicate major infractions cases could be in place by August.
That just says an independent enforcement body will be in place by August. That's the beginning of the work of that independent enforcement process, not the end.

I, for one, would be super happy if the NCAA used an independent body instead of passing their own sanctions. Whatever we get from an independent body, the NCAA would be worse. The NCAA is bringing in an independent body to distance themselves for damage control purposes.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:It appears that potential sanctions could be coming as soon as August.........before next season. The NCAA may be moving faster than I thought. This potentially doesn't bode well for keeping our #1 recruiting class intact.

"NCAA President Mark Emmert has said an independent enforcement body to adjudicate major infractions cases could be in place by August."

This just means that he won't have an independent enforcement body in place until maybe August and not that that'll be handing out punishments in August. I know you're so pent up about Arizona being f***ed ASAP, but it ain't going to be that soon man.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Oh, and hey you mods, at least 2 of you fuckers saw that report and didn't clear it, just to make us other mods suffer through reading it, didn't you! You devious bastards!
I couldn’t let only Ari and me be the only mods to have that enjoyment, now could I? :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So we should self-sanction now? Or in July?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:

We should wait to see who the independent enforcement body is. If Dick Vitale is on it, we should either self-sanction or immediately hire Rick Pitino.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

We should wait to see who the independent enforcement body is. If Dick Vitale is on it, we should either self-sanction or immediately hire Rick Pitino.
Or literally hire anybody with an Italian last name. I'll be sure to keep my Uncle Mario on speed dial in case it gets to that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Or literally hire anybody with an Italian last name. I'll be sure to keep my Uncle Mario on speed dial in case it gets to that.
Dick Vitale would have demanded the government hire Al Capone to run the IRS if that blind bald fuck had been around back then.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hiring Pimptino would be wildly entertaining for a while.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

"NCAA President Mark Emmert has said an independent enforcement body to adjudicate major infractions cases could be in place by August."

This just means that he won't have an independent enforcement body in place until maybe August and not that that'll be handing out punishments in August. I know you're so pent up about Arizona being f***ed ASAP, but it ain't going to be that soon man.
Pent up???? No, not in the least. I have been consistent in that I believe we will get punished.

You, on the other hand, have had been seriously Bi-Polar about the whole affair. For the past year you have scoffed at any notion that we might face punishment, and then after Phelps was fired you immediately flipped and began proclaiming that we were F^cked.......and now you are back to your original "nothing is going to happen to us" opinion. You are starting to make PhxCats look sane.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

[
Last edited by dmjcat on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Just catching up to the thread. Ive learned that vile personal attacks are fair game as long as they are part of a joke, so that's good to know.

What if this is all that's on the wiretaps:

Dawkins: "Coach, wow another top 5 class. Congrats, you really have it rolling: your program is Elite and the fanbase loves you. You must love Tucson and that weather!"
Miller: "Tell me about it! Sometimes it a little too much though!"
Dawkins: "The high temperatures?"
Miller: "No, the fanbase, they can be a little crazy."
Dawkins: "How so?"
Miller: "Well theres this guy Spiff who loves my early round flame outs and my midwestern Bennett Ball so much its insane. He keeps messaging me and leaving notes in my home mailbox all the time. I dont' even know how he got my phone number. Nobody has my number! But get this: he said his wife would come over and said he wanted me to "show her the pack line" and how to "hard hedge". Its unbelievable"
Dawkins: "Sounds like a stalker. You might want to let the cops or the FBI know!"
Miller: "Nah its all good, she's coming over in 5, gotta go!"

***note the above is a joke and not intended to be taken seriously. RELAX
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Some guys can tell 'em. Others can't.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:Just catching up to the thread. Ive learned that vile personal attacks are fair game as long as they are part of a joke, so that's good to know.

What if this is all that's on the wiretaps:

Dawkins: "Coach, wow another top 5 class. Congrats, you really have it rolling: your program is Elite and the fanbase loves you. You must love Tucson and that weather!"
Miller: "Tell me about it! Sometimes it a little too much though!"
Dawkins: "The high temperatures?"
Miller: "No, the fanbase, they can be a little crazy."
Dawkins: "How so?"
Miller: "Well theres this guy Spiff who loves my early round flame outs and my midwestern Bennett Ball so much its insane. He keeps messaging me and leaving notes in my home mailbox all the time. I dont' even know how he got my phone number. Nobody has my number! But get this: he said his wife would come over and said he wanted me to "show her the pack line" and how to "hard hedge". Its unbelievable"
Dawkins: "Sounds like a stalker. You might want to let the cops or the FBI know!"
Miller: "Nah its all good, she's coming over in 5, gotta go!"

***note the above is a joke and not intended to be taken seriously. RELAX
"I'm as hard as a diamond in an ice storm."

--Ricky Bobby
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

On Phelps just follow the North Carolina model to freedom. On the other stuff just have not seen any evidence of us breaking an NCAA rule. I am pretty dense and I didn’t stay at a holiday inn last night
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RiseAndFail lives up to his nickname again.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ChooChooCat wrote:Gatto sentenced to 9 months, Dawkins and Code both get 6 months. COLOSSAL WASTE OF FUCKING TIME. Our tax dollars went to this shit. Unbelievable.
The game needs to be cleaned up and/or the rules need to change. I think this is just the start of what's going to ultimately force that cleaning and change.

Their sentences followed a set of sentencing guidelines that do not equate to large prison sentences for their specific conduct (especially if they dont have a serious criminal history) and it's possible they got even more time shaved off for a plea agreement.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

At least Gatto is loyal

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

]
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Quick question? Some jackass the other day was trying to tell me Book admitted to breaking NCAA rules. I have never seen that and my understanding is he plead guilty to taking a bribe and nothing more??
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

MC1983 wrote:Quick question? Some jackass the other day was trying to tell me Book admitted to breaking NCAA rules. I have never seen that and my understanding is he plead guilty to taking a bribe and nothing more??
if you believe someone that said they heard someone else say that Book said he was getting money to pay Quinnerly as admitting to NCAA rules, then I guess? That was testimony. But not corroborated in any way, specifically by any evidence or even 1st party testimony.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MC1983 wrote:Quick question? Some jackass the other day was trying to tell me Book admitted to breaking NCAA rules. I have never seen that and my understanding is he plead guilty to taking a bribe and nothing more??
If someone can find the document of his actual plea, it would fully answer this.

The primary allegation was always Book as the recipient of bribe money, in that he used his position as a public official to take money in exchange for steering players. He also participated in the underlying scheme Dawkins, et. al. were involved in to some extent, but he's more limited in that aspect.

He didn't plead to breaking NCAA rules, he pled to breaking federal law. One of the underlying million dollar questions in all of this is how closely related those two standards are.

Just my 2 cents.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

According to Yahoo, LSU’s coach is fucked. On tape talking about offering money to recruits.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Yes, he did

NCAA Bylaw 10.1 Unethical Conduct

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/bylaw?bylawId=3426" target="_blank

(e) Receipt of benefits by an institutional staff member for facilitating or arranging a meeting between a student-athlete and an agent, financial advisor or a representative of an agent or advisor (e.g., "runner"); (Adopted: 1/9/96, Revised: 4/26/06)

Book plead gulity to (e)

If Phelps turns out to be guilty of what he has been accused of that will be a 2nd violation. And then the NCAA could hit us (MIller specifically) with lack of institutional control. That would be 3 violations and I for one don't see the UA walking away unscathed from that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:
Yes, he did

NCAA Bylaw 10.1 Unethical Conduct

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/bylaw?bylawId=3426" target="_blank

(e) Receipt of benefits by an institutional staff member for facilitating or arranging a meeting between a student-athlete and an agent, financial advisor or a representative of an agent or advisor (e.g., "runner"); (Adopted: 1/9/96, Revised: 4/26/06)

Book plead gulity to (e)

If Phelps turns out to be guilty of what he has been accused of that will be a 2nd violation. And then the NCAA could hit us (MIller specifically) with lack of institutional control. That would be 3 violations and I for one don't see the UA walking away unscathed from that.
That's not what the plan was. Book wasn't supposed to facilitate or arrange meetings, he was supposed to influence players to sign with Dawkins.

It's even noted that Dawkins said he met Arizona players without Book.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:According to Yahoo, LSU’s coach is fucked. On tape talking about offering money to recruits.
I'm sure the judge of this case will love that Dawkins's lawyer is leaking wiretaps to the press before the case.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So it’s now out there that LSU’s coach did what Miller is alleged to have done.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If this is tied into Bowen specifically that means those schools are Creighton and Texas.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:According to Yahoo, LSU’s coach is fucked. On tape talking about offering money to recruits.
I'm sure the judge of this case will love that Dawkins's lawyer is leaking wiretaps to the press before the case.
Notice also the concreteness of the independently-verified evidence presented. Right down to a word-per-word transcript. And compare the Schlabach's report about Miller on a wiretap, where an unnamed source says he heard Miller on a wiretap offering money for a player already committed to Arizona by that time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Well, maybe we'll get to know whether there's anything on Miller before April.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: If this is tied into Bowen specifically that means those schools are Creighton and Texas.
Creighton and TCU
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

The judge loved it the first time. Let’s do it again
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

DMJ soooooo wants to be right. They need to have proof someone got paid and by our actions (letting guys play and the ncaa clearing Quinerly and Bowen never coming here) and I just to not see any evidence of it. Phelps desk seems the most egregious they have found
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Well, maybe we'll get to know whether there's anything on Miller before April.
I would guess that ESPN's story on CSM (Mark Schlabach) was based on "reliable" sources telling the reporter what wiretaps existed and what was on them - so, when the details were were found to be shaky (unfounded), the reporter could still "stand behind" his reporting (the sources did, in fact, tell him those things)

Now, ESPN (Mark Schlabach) is "confirming" the yahoo reports. But, today's article on Wade contains exact quotations, which means the reporter has heard the actual wiretap tape (supposedly). That's a significant difference.

And, those quotes are damning!!
"I was thinking last night on this Smart thing," Wade told Dawkins during one of the calls. "I'll be honest with you, I'm [expletive] tired of dealing with the thing. Like I'm just [expletive] sick of dealing with the s---. Like, this should not be that [expletive] complicated.

"Dude," Wade continued during the call, "I went to [the handler] with a [expletive] strong-ass offer about a month ago. [Expletive] strong.

"The problem was, I know why he didn't take it now. It was [expletive] tilted toward the family a little bit. It was tilted toward taking care of the mom, taking care of the kid. Like it was tilted towards that. Now I know for a fact he didn't explain everything to the mom. I know now, he didn't get enough of the piece of the pie in the deal."

"It was a [expletive] hell of a [expletive] offer," Wade continued. "Hell of an offer. ... Especially for a kid who is going to be a two- or three-year kid."
If CSM was suspended from coaching for second-hand (though of course, "damning") details, then Wade would seem to be in a whole lot more shyte right now. Wade did specifically claim to have NEVER discussed players with Dawkins - so, even an "innocent" discussion about Javonte Smart's recruitment would make him a liar. But these specific quotes are far worse....

OTOH, after CSM's having been roundly vilified throughout the media in the immediate aftermath of the article about him, and then (almost) everyone having to walk back their damnation, will, likely mean Wade gets more tentative commentary right now.

But, he just won a big overtime game at Florida last night, likely clinching top seed in the SE Conference Tourney (over Tenn) - yet how can he possibly avoid suspension now pending some "clarification"/refutation???
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

I find it interesting that LSU’s recruiting class of 2019 is ranked # 92 and Arizona’s is # 1. LSU has a three star and a 2 star and that’s it so far. I like to watch the recruits in situations because they usually are in the know.
Last edited by MC1983 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Well I think they could charge a conspiracy count, because they were planning to do something even if it didn’t happen.

But I take this report with a grain and r two of salt. Sounds like Dawkins’ lawyer released his version of a wire tap.

Has Dawkins even been charged with fraud by paying a kid to go somewhere?
If not, why would Dawkins have been given this wire tap? If it’s real.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Also, if Dawkins has tapes of Miller, seems like those would get a lot more play than LSU, media wise.
Seriously, SEC school pays player. Who is that going to shock?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Postmaster wrote:Well I think they could charge a conspiracy count, because they were planning to do something even if it didn’t happen.

But I take this report with a grain and r two of salt. Sounds like Dawkins’ lawyer released his version of a wire tap.

Prosecution is required to share evidence with the defense...

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... close.html" target="_blank
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Postmaster wrote:Well I think they could charge a conspiracy count, because they were planning to do something even if it didn’t happen.

I'm gonna ride on your coat tails here...I like to think things through...play the game through a lens of "How does this work?"

So suppose there are wiretaps that the FBI gathered...this is FBI evidence now...by law they have to share in discovery to the defense...so defense gets a COPY or wiretap or most likely a transcript of wiretaps...in todays word a digital edition is pretty likely...

Now you're the defense lawyer...no way in hell you let actual FBI provided evidence go to a third party, it is most likely a crime in itself, but that does not stop you from providing a "leaked" version...and said leak could come in the form of a "quote" from the transcript, or a doctored file of some sort...remember you're trying to manipulate the trial without getting caught so an actual real to life "leak" would most likely be traced directly back to you...so the only form safe enough to release is something that tilts the evidence your way without revealing you as a source...otherwise you're in hot water yourself.

Lots of things leak...a leak is something broken...there's no such thing as an honest leak.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Can someone help me with how the content of those Scheer tweets impacts Miller?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Can someone help me with how the content of those Scheer tweets impacts Miller?
It removes a few bullets in the NCAA’s gun, potentially.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Can someone help me with how the content of those Scheer tweets impacts Miller?
Thanks, Chi. That's good news.

I still go back to that Miller presser where he looked the world in the face and said he hasn't done anything wrong. No one is crazy (or dumb) enough to lie in such a public, grandiose way (well, except that guy in D.C.).

Just need to get through a couple more weeks of this season and focus on getting our '19 class on campus. Miller has almost weathered the storm.
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

Beachcat97, that is my feeling that "Miller has almost weathered the storm". I am just about feeling relieved and massive angry, that this incident has cost us Quinerly and Little for this season. Shame of them.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I still go back to that Miller presser where he looked the world in the face and said he hasn't done anything wrong. No one is crazy (or dumb) enough to lie in such a public, grandiose way (well, except that guy in D.C.).

Just need to get through a couple more weeks of this season and focus on getting our '19 class on campus. Miller has almost weathered the storm.
Here's the deal, if the NCAA moves on UA because of Book, it will be required to systematically move on Kansas, Texas, LSU, Creighton, and USC as well...if not MORESO...no way in hell they penalize UA and get to ignore those other schools...so we're talking 5-7 schools in the mix getting either wrist-slapped or bitch-slapped because of the shoe companies and the way the NCAA has business set up...my best guess?

Panels get set up by August and inquiries start...then 18 months of investigation, committees spending money and spinning the "woe-is-me-college-sport-is-so-corrupt-but-we're-the-victims-here" bullshit...then the next fall they start handing out penalties based on how the Uni's and coaches cooperated...we lose 2 scholarships for 2022 and Miller has to sit out 5 games for lack of institutional control and then Dick Vitale has an aneurysm because he cannot fucking stand the fact that Miller is not dirty...which in my book, if Dickie V had a stroke over this it would be worth losing 2 scholarship positions for a year...totally worth it.

Totally.Worth.It.

Win.Win.
1560s Guy

Post by 1560s Guy »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I still go back to that Miller presser where he looked the world in the face and said he hasn't done anything wrong.
Knowingly.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

LSU’s coach denied everything, too. And that’s with these alleged direct quotes from a wiretap out there. So the primary difference remains that there is a credibility problem with the Schlabach “leak” as opposed to the Forde leak which seems to be more properly vetted.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:

LSU’s coach denied everything, too. And that’s with these alleged direct quotes from a wiretap out there. So the primary difference remains that there is a credibility problem with the Schlabach “leak” as opposed to the Forde leak which seems to be more properly vetted.
Actually, Wade hedged his bets when he made that statement:
“I, or we, have never, ever, done business of any kind with Christian Dawkins or Mr. Dawkins. That’s what I’ll say about that.”

When asked if "business" meant any conversation between the two, Wade referred to his earlier statement. In a followup question as to whether he would answer any yes or no questions, Wade said he addressed that in his statement.

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

1560s Guy wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I still go back to that Miller presser where he looked the world in the face and said he hasn't done anything wrong.
Knowingly.
Right, but how would talking on the phone with Dawkins about paying a recruit not count as “knowingly”?

So again, Miller put it all on the line in that presser, and there was no reason for him to lie and effectively end his career by doing so.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

“I, or we, have never, ever, done business of any kind with Christian Dawkins or Mr. Dawkins. That’s what I’ll say about that.”

When asked if "business" meant any conversation between the two, Wade referred to his earlier statement. In a followup question as to whether he would answer any yes or no questions, Wade said he addressed that in his statement
Doesn't anyone ever learn? Should have just said "...go back to Phoenix..."
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!