The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

goslingswagg

Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Agreed with Choo. I'm not as high on Randolph as most posters here not named 97Cats.

But if Randolph comes back, he definitely inherits the starting role at the 3 until Armstrong can push past him. Such competition is the greatest virtue of the bench depth normally accumulated by top-shelf recruiting classes.
Randolph will have the fight of his life to maintain the starting role at the 3 with Josh Green.
The best case scenario for Randolph would be him and Green starting together. I don't know how he beats Green out for a single spot.

But if they play together, what about Nnaji, Lee and Gettings? We have a lot of players who can play.
That would mean Randolph would have beat out Williams for the starting 2 spot and I sure as hell wouldn't count on that barring another knee issue flare up for BWill.

Randolph as a 6th man makes the most sense to me.
6th man I can see as being his absolute best case scenario. I think more likely 7th/8th man. He will be in a dogfight with Doutrive just for that first wing off the bench role.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

AZ interested in Max Hazzard from UCI?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pokinmik wrote:AZ interested in Max Hazzard from UCI?
Yes, and I'm not sure what that means for the rest of the roster.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Would likely mean a nudging out of Randolph and/or Smith I would assume.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Would likely mean a nudging out of Randolph and/or Smith I would assume.
Or insurance if we lose two of three of Randolph, Smith and Doutrive...or all 3.

Possibly also because having a Hazzard on the roster has been good luck in the past.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Is Hazard a grad transfer and eligible immediately or does he have to sit a year?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

zonagrad wrote:Is Hazard a grad transfer and eligible immediately or does he have to sit a year?
I believe he's a grad transfer.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

let me be crystal clear, if Brandon Randolph wants to come back to Arizona there will be room and welcome, open arms ... there will be no "nudging out of Randolph" under any circumstance

if he leaves, it is by his choice only at this point
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

97cats wrote:let me be crystal clear, if Brandon Randolph wants to come back to Arizona there will be room and welcome, open arms ... there will be no "nudging out of Randolph" under any circumstance

Very interesting....not sure I agree with the idea from a roster construction standpoint, might be a hot take but I think my preference to come back for the 3 guys up in the air is: 1. DD, 2. Smith, 3. Randolph. Just feels like Smith's role would be a bit more valuable on our team next year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:let me be crystal clear, if Brandon Randolph wants to come back to Arizona there will be room and welcome, open arms ... there will be no "nudging out of Randolph" under any circumstance

How about Smith?

What you say about Randolph does not surprise me. If you said the same about Smith...that might surprise me a bit.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the only player I don’t want back is Smith - however if he wants to come back I know he is welcome too
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Smith can feel free to free up a scholarship at any time.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

catgrad97 wrote:Smith can feel free to free up a scholarship at any time.
I think the "idea" of Randolph still is what resonates in some of our minds, but the reality of Randolph's play makes me want him gone. The guy was 29% from 3 on the year, and must have been like 20% or so during PAC12 play...just absolutely atrocious. At least Smith brings higher quality defense and a bit better 3pt shooting ability. I think if you take some of the ball-handling/creation responsibilities away from Smith, you're left with a decent, 3-and-D role player in the college game, and a guy that should/will get 10-15 mins per game as opposed to the 25 he saw this year.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I think we need Randolph in order to hit our peak expectations next season. Problem is, im hesitant to believe Randolph can rein in his game and buy into the role to become the player we need.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don't mean to drop names, but I know Tinkerbell, so maybe she can ding her wand over Randolph and bring a sense of discipline to his game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:I think we need Randolph in order to hit our peak expectations next season. Problem is, im hesitant to believe Randolph can rein in his game and buy into the role to become the player we need.
This is 100% where I'm at, except I think we could peak without Randolph. His ability to make his game fit his role is the biggest question with him.

I think people look at his percentages and miss how much his shot selection changed them. When you take 11.6 shots, 2 crappy, contested shots means the difference between 38% and 45%. I felt he was reliably good for at least two bad, unforced, low percentage shots a game. If he stops doing that, that alone would skyrocket his efficiency.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What are you trying to say?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:

Your. Alligator. Pooped. Out. My. Cat.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

97cats wrote:the only player I don’t want back is Smith - however if he wants to come back I know he is welcome too
If he's getting quality minutes next season then there is a serious problem. I'll never trust a recruiting ranking again.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Your. Alligator. Pooped. Out. My. Cat.
As it's prone to do.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TucsonClip wrote:I think we need Randolph in order to hit our peak expectations next season. Problem is, im hesitant to believe Randolph can rein in his game and buy into the role to become the player we need.
If Randolph accepted a role as a catch and shoot wing (without fading back on every jumper he took) who was dedicated as well on defense my god that would be amazing. Honestly his route to the league would come as a 3 and D guy, but he'd have to want to do it and work hard at it. I've always loved the guy because his natural ability is fantastic, but he's gotta get the brains to match the ability. I'm with you in regards to being hesitant on Randolph doing just that, but maybe actual competition can bring it out of him?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I think people look at his percentages and miss how much his shot selection changed them. When you take 11.6 shots, 2 crappy, contested shots means the difference between 38% and 45%. I felt he was reliably good for at least two bad, unforced, low percentage shots a game. If he stops doing that, that alone would skyrocket his efficiency.
Only two? You're short changing it immensely. If you include all the Marcus Williams range fade away jumpers he took per game you'd have to add at least 2 more.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:

Very interesting....not sure I agree with the idea from a roster construction standpoint, might be a hot take but I think my preference to come back for the 3 guys up in the air is: 1. DD, 2. Smith, 3. Randolph. Just feels like Smith's role would be a bit more valuable on our team next year.
Honestly Hazzard is a bit more of a 3 point shooting PG. If we were to take him it would nudge out another guy not named Randolph, Doutrive, or even Smith. I'm not sure if that would be Miller's goal, but yeah a 3 point shooting facilitator describes the role of somebody else on the roster who has yet to show just how good of a shooter they are in games.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Choo, do you know anything about new uniforms.

There's no way we're going to 4 years with the gradients right?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

Honestly Hazzard is a bit more of a 3 point shooting PG. If we were to take him it would nudge out another guy not named Randolph, Doutrive, or even Smith. I'm not sure if that would be Miller's goal, but yeah a 3 point shooting facilitator describes the role of somebody else on the roster who has yet to show just how good of a shooter they are in games.
By all reports, Barcello seems pretty happy on the bench doesn't he? Best seat in the house and he gets to travel well, much better than GCU does.

Hazzard is certainly a huge upgrade over Barcello, although he doesn't seem to be a superb 3 point shooter. Never made 40% at UCI, although I have no idea if he was the only guy on the team and was well covered, where at the UA he might get more open looks.

TJ couldn't make the leap from a mid-major to Power 5 in regards to 3 point shooting, same with Dylan Smith, although Justin Coleman did OK.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Choo, do you know anything about new uniforms.

Out of my wheelhouse my man, but I personally attribute all our bad luck over the past 3 years on those awful uniforms.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

By all reports, Barcello seems pretty happy on the bench doesn't he? Best seat in the house and he gets to travel well, much better than GCU does.

Hazzard is certainly a huge upgrade over Barcello, although he doesn't seem to be a superb 3 point shooter. Never made 40% at UCI, although I have no idea if he was the only guy on the team and was well covered, where at the UA he might get more open looks.

TJ couldn't make the leap from a mid-major to Power 5 in regards to 3 point shooting, same with Dylan Smith, although Justin Coleman did OK.
Dylan Smith wasn't even a good 3 point shooter at whichever small school he played at.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Out of my wheelhouse my man, but I personally attribute all our bad luck over the past 3 years on those awful uniforms.
I concur
~ Football Team
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

We're cursed to wear gradients for sevun years
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Everyone talks about culture. No one talks about how the introduction of the gradients aligns perfectly with program issues.

The gradients are the first Arizona uniform/shorts I haven't purchased, and I'm not tempted.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I concur
~ Football Team

At least Sumlin has mentioned the possibility of using some throwback uniforms, but not sure how well that would work with the Nike contract.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This guy...

... said our uniforms should do...

... and this guy...

... said that's great, as long as you throw in a little more...

... which is how we got this:

Credit where credit is due.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

What irks me most about the gradients is Arizona had literal perfection during the two T.J. McConnell seasons and then switched to the gradient garbage. We only got 2 years of perfection and there was never any reason to change it. We've been stuck with the gradients longer than we had the best uniforms ever.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:What irks me most about the gradients is Arizona had literal perfection during the two T.J. McConnell seasons and then switched to the gradient garbage. We only got 2 years of perfection and there was never any reason to change it. We've been stuck with the gradients longer than we had the best uniforms ever.
The two TJ years were two separate uniforms.

The 1st, Arizona wore from 2011-2014

The 2nd, Arizona wore the '15 & '16 seasons

Before 2011, Arizona wore these plain ones from 2007-2010

Link here of all the team photos

https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/2016 ... -page.aspx" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Give this uniform a modern cut and call it a day.

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

The 2011-14 jerseys were actual perfection. The iteration of those was fine. The choice to go from perfect to good to Willy Wonka is bewildering.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Co-signing Spiff's take as well
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

My bad, the 15-16 seasons were perfection.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thought the old duct tape on the shoulders were my least all time favorite uniform until the gradients arrived.
NYCat wrote:
Before 2011, Arizona wore these plain ones from 2007-2010

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Is there a lawyer here willing to represent us pro-bono on these horrible uniforms? I want to sue somebody for damages.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Give this uniform a modern cut and call it a day.

But make navy the main color. Probably an unpopular opinion but cardinal should only be used as an accent
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Navy is the most traditional for Arizona, and I agree.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
If Randolph accepted a role as a catch and shoot wing (without fading back on every jumper he took) who was dedicated as well on defense my god that would be amazing. Honestly his route to the league would come as a 3 and D guy, but he'd have to want to do it and work hard at it. I've always loved the guy because his natural ability is fantastic, but he's gotta get the brains to match the ability. I'm with you in regards to being hesitant on Randolph doing just that, but maybe actual competition can bring it out of him?
Randolph could have a plenty big role shooting off screens and spacing the floor as a catch-and-shoot threat... if he was an actual shooting threat. I projected a lot of growth out of him for 2018-19 and I was wildly wrong. Getting tired of expecting too much out of any of these guys.

We will have a need for three point shooting - no one on the team is a proven threat. Nico I believe in. Armstrong is probably respectable at the next level but who knows. Green doesn't shoot from outside consistently.

Need floor spacers... if Randolph dials that in, even just that niche role, he'd get a ton of minutes. If it's DD or Smith even who does it instead, fine by me.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Give this uniform a modern cut and call it a day.

But make navy the main color. Probably an unpopular opinion but cardinal should only be used as an accent
Here's my wish list. First, use that classic 96-2007 template.

Home jerseys with blue lettering and red stripes. Blue and red road jerseys with white stripes and lettering opposite the jersey color.

Use that template and then throw in one or two special editions a year. Rotate those year to year for some newness. Throw back to the 80's or hell, throw in gradient for a game or two to throw forward.

I could take the copper or gradient if it was a limited edition rotated in for a game or two. When we did platinum in 2012 or white on white in 2015, I could handle that.

Plenty of teams (Villanova, Michigan) are returning to classic templates with an updated style now that baggy is less popular. We should do that, and there's nothing more iconic than the 97 uniform.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not the "you better be wearing underwear" Steve Kerr era butt huggers?

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:Not the "you better be wearing underwear" Steve Kerr era butt huggers?

I still love those unis.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:
I still love those unis.

That's because they are fucking awesome.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Wasn't around then, but those are perfect imo

Perfect use of red accent, classic, simple unis. Just update to the modern Arizona font & numbers.

BTW, how there so many high quality images of Sean Elliot at Arizona when I can't even find many high quality images of Bayless, Gordon etc at Arizona
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Yes they are awesome.

I never really liked the shorts should be longer and wider than the jersey look.

A nice compromise, like this:

Last edited by Merkin on Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
I still love those unis.

That's because they are fucking awesome.
Better than those dumbass culottes MJ introduced to hide his skinny ass legs, for sure....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman