let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ProfessorFate

Re: let's talk '19

Post by ProfessorFate »

ChooChooCat wrote:Zeke Nnaji has officially signed his NLI.

https://kstp.com/sports/hopkins-basketb ... a/5320553/" target="_blank
Excellent news! Thanks, Choo.

By the way, that's a sweet t-shirt he's wearing. Gonna have to find me one.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwXlsw9nalB/" target="_blank

hopefully that means he is coming back
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

NYCat wrote:
I like his motor!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

SunnyAZ wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BwXlsw9nalB/

Can we just get Nike to build his uni with the right leg 12" shorter and save the kid some in-game focus?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Backup option for Hazzard I believe.
Wouldn't mind him at all tbh.
Idk, doesn't seem to be a good shooter

http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2018-19/di ... onmack7sni" target="_blank

31.6mpg
19.1ppg -- 45.6%/33.7%/64.6%
5.9rpg
7.6apg

Those numbers aren't transferring to major division basketball, neither are the shooting splits. They'll surely be worse. If we're getting a guard/ball handler he better be a >40% from 3. Although 6'3 > 5'10
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I've heard nothing to suggest otherwise.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

He's clearly returning.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:
NYCat wrote:
I like his motor!
I do too. Just needs to break the habit of bringing the ball down to his waist before going up with it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Jefe wrote:
NYCat wrote:
I like his motor!
I do too. Just needs to break the habit of bringing the ball down to his waist before going up with it.
As long as he doesnt do 12 pump fakes before he shoots it I'll take it at this point.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Looks like Duke is going to swoop in late and steal Cassius Stanley from everyone.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Looks like Duke is going to swoop in late and steal Cassius Stanley from everyone.
Duke does that a lot. Because of the brotherhood, I'm sure, not the dirty business other schools are involved in.

Right, Dickie V?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

At least we can get Boogie Ellis as a domino of the brotherhood though. Tre Jones returning and RJ Hampton on deck in 2020.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:At least we can get Boogie Ellis as a domino of the brotherhood though. Tre Jones returning and RJ Hampton on deck in 2020.
Are we still in the mix for Boogie?

And they can have Stanley. Not too impressed with him.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:Looks like Duke is going to swoop in late and steal Cassius Stanley from everyone.
Duke does that a lot. Because of the brotherhood, I'm sure, not the dirty business other schools are involved in.

Right, Dickie V?
Thankfully, that has been zero guarantor of tournament success.

If K couldn't do it with Zion, what makes anyone certain he'll do it with Stanley?

And bigger question here: Why would he want to, at this point in his career, so much?

He's accomplished every conceivable thing a NCAA coach would want to. You have to wonder why he keeps pressing harder to drive this kind of Midnight Theft without a succession plan in place or any evidence he's delegating day-to-day operations to anyone else.

I see K as having a lot to hide he can't let go of, in a sort of vampiric lust for the whole sordid monster he's fostered in college hoops.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote:At least we can get Boogie Ellis as a domino of the brotherhood though. Tre Jones returning and RJ Hampton on deck in 2020.
You mean after a transfer? He's certainly not coming here this season. We also got cut when he went from his top eight to final five.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Are we still in the mix for Boogie?

And they can have Stanley. Not too impressed with him.
Boogie is already committed this year to Duke. I'm thinking as a transfer in a year or two, Arizona could've landed him if Mannion didn't reclassify.

Coach K stealing Stanley & Hurt from Kansas is funny though.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Who's the last kid from California to actually have success at Duke?

Both Boogie and Cassius are on transfer watch.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Who's the last kid from California to actually have success at Duke?

Both Boogie and Cassius are on transfer watch.
DeMarcus Nelson?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Right, Dickie V?

If K couldn't do it with Zion, what makes anyone certain he'll do it with Stanley?

And bigger question here: Why would he want to, at this point in his career, so much?

He's accomplished every conceivable thing a NCAA coach would want to. You have to wonder why he keeps pressing harder to drive this kind of Midnight Theft without a succession plan in place or any evidence he's delegating day-to-day operations to anyone else.

I see K as having a lot to hide he can't let go of, in a sort of vampiric lust for the whole sordid monster he's fostered in college hoops.
The tourney is heavily luck. Duke was probably the best overall team with Zion this year. The tournament is not about that, though. Being a great team is maybe half the battle.

I think K sold his soul around 2009, after the string of early upsets for Duke. His recruiting changed, the one and dones started flowing in, and the entire tenor of the program changed. Duke was never known as a pro factory, and now it might have eclipsed Kentucky.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:
I think K sold his soul around 2009, after the string of early upsets for Duke. His recruiting changed, the one and dones started flowing in, and the entire tenor of the program changed. Duke was never known as a pro factory, and now it might have eclipsed Kentucky.
His recruiting changed not coincidentally when Capel came back in 2011.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

I had seen Hampton likely going elsewhere (KU or Memphis) as of now and reclassifying into the 2019 class...you guys seeing differently?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
I had seen Hampton likely going elsewhere (KU or Memphis) as of now and reclassifying into the 2019 class...you guys seeing differently?
Nah you're right, I forgot about reclassifying
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

“We’ve had Kentucky reach out, Arizona, Cal, Oregon, Baylor, Miami, Pitt, Ohio State, Louisiana-Lafayette, my old college,” the elder Brown said. “St. Mary’s, there’s quite a few people reaching out.”

“Kentucky was there from the beginning, and they’ve been reaching out and Sean Miller from Arizona,” he added. “They are showing a lot of interest.”

After examining the interested parties the next step will be to set up official visits. Brown told 247Sports that they have discussed potential visits with Kentucky and Arizona, but Brown was adamant that there isn’t anything imminent.

“Every day I’m hearing from someone new,” he said. “Something could be happening in the next two or three weeks, there’s just nothing set in stone right now."
Kentucky apparently wants both Blackshear from VTech and Brown.
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Jefe wrote:
NYCat wrote:
I like his motor!
As long as he doesnt do 12 pump fakes before he shoots it I'll take it at this point.
I am always hestitant to get too excited from watching these type of highlight videos...

Screw it, totally lying, I really really really like zeke. Looks like a combo of Michael Jordan and Karl Malone.

Fluid, athletic, and has a nice looking shot. Praying he stays a couple years as he needs to put on weight and was exactly the type of player this class needed

Miller is an unreal recruiter
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If Brown picks Kentucky he will absolutely be Marcus Lee 2.0.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Duke was probably the best overall team with Zion this year. The tournament is not about that, though. Being a great team is maybe half the battle.
maybe but I didn't think they had a chance to win it this year. I had them losing to VT before the tourney started. they sucked at shooting. I think I saw something that no team had ever won the title with a 3PT% as bad as them this year.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Right, Dickie V?

The tourney is heavily luck. Duke was probably the best overall team with Zion this year. The tournament is not about that, though. Being a great team is maybe half the battle.

Just my opinion but I did not think duke was the best team, they had the most talent but I would say that the best team won the tourney, MSU was a great team also ttu.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Duke was probably the best overall team with Zion this year. The tournament is not about that, though. Being a great team is maybe half the battle.
maybe but I didn't think they had a chance to win it this year. I had them losing to VT before the tourney started. they sucked at shooting. I think I saw something that no team had ever won the title with a 3PT% as bad as them this year.
Bodes poorly for our team this season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:
Dunno. Nico and BWill are good shooters. Green is developing, but not a bricklayer. The rest of the perimeter rotation is sort of in flux.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

YoDeFoe wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:
Why? Mannion is a good shooter. Williams will certainly be improved from his freshman year. Green has a decent stroke. And if Randolph returns, his playing time will be dependent quite a bit on his shooting ability. Miller will have more options in the upcoming season.

With a point guard able to facilitate and get people the ball in areas to succeed -- that helps shooting percentage. A lot.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'll be impressed if Calipari poaches Brown. We've recruited him much longer, and Miller would seem to have an advantage.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

don't forget about Gettings....very good shooter too.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Maybe I'm hungover from the disappointment of this past season - my hopes for our returning players to grow and emerge dashed on the rocks of reality.

Nico I believe in.
BWill I hope stays healthy and looks like his late season self.
Green I hope brings his senior season outside shooting to the next level.
Gettings I hope brings his solid outside shooting from the Ivy to the Pac.
Randolph/DD/Smith/Barcello... well who knows.

We won't be Duke with Cam and RJ jacking 13 threes between them a game and hitting only 31%.

But will we be UVA with their top three shooters hitting ~250 threes at a 42% clip? Or Auburn, with their three hitting ~300 at a 39% clip?

I wonder. I worry.

Last season our top 3 hit 120 at 36%. The season prior was 150 makes at 38%. The season with Lauri - our best season in four years - was 150 makes on 40% (and as a team hit 244 on 39%). We lost to Xavier with Rawle going 0-3 from deep with a broken hand, Lauri going an uncharacteristic 1-6, and Trier going hero for a meager 3-10.

I don't think we'll ever make the promised land without a three point shooting team.

I hope Nico takes 250 threes. I hope BWill takes 200. I hope Green takes 150. I hope Gettings takes 100. And I hope as a team we hit 38% or more. Otherwise we're playing yesterday's game and we'll get buried by a team that shoots.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

goslingswagg wrote:don't forget about Gettings....very good shooter too.
True. He's been overlooked in the big picture. I'm skeptical (as I assume are others) because transfers from mid-majors or small schools haven't shown a propensity to compete and succeed at a high level. If Gettings can be a serviceable role player who can't knock down shots and not be a defensive liability, then it's a big win.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

YoDeFoe wrote:Maybe I'm hungover from the disappointment of this past season - my hopes for our returning players to grow and emerge dashed on the rocks of reality.

Nico I believe in.
BWill I hope stays healthy and looks like his late season self.
Green I hope brings his senior season outside shooting to the next level.
Gettings I hope brings his solid outside shooting from the Ivy to the Pac.
Randolph/DD/Smith/Barcello... well who knows.

We won't be Duke with Cam and RJ jacking 13 threes between them a game and hitting only 31%.

But will we be UVA with their top three shooters hitting ~250 threes at a 42% clip? Or Auburn, with their three hitting ~300 at a 39% clip?

I wonder. I worry.

Last season our top 3 hit 120 at 36%. The season prior was 150 makes at 38%. The season with Lauri - our best season in four years - was 150 makes on 40% (and as a team hit 244 on 39%). We lost to Xavier with Rawle going 0-3 from deep with a broken hand, Lauri going an uncharacteristic 1-6, and Trier going hero for a meager 3-10.

I don't think we'll ever make the promised land without a three point shooting team.

I hope Nico takes 250 threes. I hope BWill takes 200. I hope Green takes 150. I hope Gettings takes 100. And I hope as a team we hit 38% or more. Otherwise we're playing yesterday's game and we'll get buried by a team that shoots.
You're not alone.

Even if you've only played pickup ball, there's nothing worse than having a guy on your team who THINKS he can shoot but can't. Much better to have a guy who knows his limitations and doesn't shoot you out of games. Arizona had a lot of that last season with Randolph and Smith. We'd be tied at the half and those guys would go a combined 0-7 from 3 and the game would be over.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

zonagrad wrote:You're not alone.

Even if you've only played pickup ball, there's nothing worse than having a guy on your team who THINKS he can shoot but can't. Much better to have a guy who knows his limitations and doesn't shoot you out of games. Arizona had a lot of that last season with Randolph and Smith. We'd be tied at the half and those guys would go a combined 0-7 from 3 and the game would be over.
And further... nothing worse than the other team draining threes to bury you while yours clank off the iron. Texas Tech likely felt that, when UVA went 46% from deep while they went 33%. Nothing like a well timed three to put a dagger through the other team's heart.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

If we manage to land Brown, I don't think I'd want him to receive a waiver to play immediately. He'd be more valuable on next year's team playing C alongside a senior Lee. This year Nnaji is more valuable at C imo if Gettings is a capable high major 3pt shooter and player.
Beachcat97 wrote:I'll be impressed if Calipari poaches Brown. We've recruited him much longer, and Miller would seem to have an advantage.
Brown himself said Calipari has been recruiting him since the beginning. Brown was a UCLA lock for a while and Shareef committed early. Only jumped on Brown late
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

YoDeFoe wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:
their best shooter shot 33% and as a team they were at 30% (and people weren't even guarding Jones, Zion, Delaurier, White or Goldwire at the 3PT line so they were wide open shots). No way we will be that bad. Nico, BWill, Green, Gettings (I think he starts for spacing purposes), Chase is a pretty good shooting starting 5 (assuming Bwill gets better and takes less pullup threes next year).

Seriously like 70% of Duke's team was taking dare shots at the 3PT line and people thought they had a chance to win the title. And no way will we be close to that lol
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

also nico is playing in the jordan brand classic tomorrow. live stream on twitter at 3pm apparently. I think it is more of an allstar type vibe so probably not a lot to get out of it
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I'll be impressed if Calipari poaches Brown. We've recruited him much longer, and Miller would seem to have an advantage.
Calipari did recruit him last year. Either way if he chooses Kentucky he'd be recruited over immediately, hence my Marcus Lee comparison.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Choo, I like Brown and want him bad but it appears he kind of underwhelmed at Nevada. What’s the story there?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

NYCat wrote:
If we manage to land Brown, I don't think I'd want him to receive a waiver to play immediately. He'd be more valuable on next year's team playing C alongside a senior Lee. This year Nnaji is more valuable at C imo if Gettings is a capable high major 3pt shooter and player.
I agree wholeheartedly with your point re: Brown sitting next year. No need for him to play this next year imo.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Choo, I like Brown and want him bad but it appears he kind of underwhelmed at Nevada. What’s the story there?
Musselman runs a very tight rotation (even tighter than Miller) and he was behind numerous seniors.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Hazzard on campus
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Goddamn it. I was hoping to see us play at ‘Rado next year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The 18 game schedule blows. Why not drop a couple of the meaningless OOC games to make room for a couple more Pac games?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I wonder how those coaches' meeting went during the Final Four. I mean, a good portion of the conference needs to step up its OOC scheduling, Arizona included.

Pac 12 teams are involved in a lot of tourneys in November. Oregon is in Battle 4 Atlantis with UNC, Gonzaga, Michigan and Iowa St. Pretty good field.

USC plays TCU in Dallas and also LSU.
UCLA faces Kentucky.

Utah faces Kentucky in Vegas.

And at the Phil Knight Classic, Oregon faces Memphis and Oregon St. vs. Oklahoma.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2018 ... anksgiving" target="_blank

Pac 12 really needs to win some of these games.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Now that Duke landed Matthew Hurt & Cassius Stanley, they have the #1 recruiting class. So if we lose in the first weekend it won't be as disappointing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:Now that Duke landed Matthew Hurt & Cassius Stanley, they have the #1 recruiting class. So if we lose in the first weekend it won't be as disappointing.
Call me crazy, but I like our class more.

Also, how many times has Duke had the #1 class and not reached the FF? Plenty.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Now that Duke landed Matthew Hurt & Cassius Stanley, they have the #1 recruiting class. So if we lose in the first weekend it won't be as disappointing.
Funny how Duke slides in to land recruits like that at the last second. That Brotherhood, man.