let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Re: let's talk '19

Post by NYCat »

Has to be a good thing that Arizona always gets mentioned first right?
terryarms

Post by terryarms »

I don't think the order listed in the tweets means anything, but I've heard over the last week or so that it's down to UK and AZ with him leaning to UK depending on how rosters are expected to shape up for the 2020 season.

My opinion is that his dad is a UK lean, he didn't seem to care for AZ during the recruitment process.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

terryarms wrote:I don't think the order listed in the tweets means anything, but I've heard over the last week or so that it's down to UK and AZ with him leaning to UK depending on how rosters are expected to shape up for the 2020 season.

My opinion is that his dad is a UK lean, he didn't seem to care for AZ during the recruitment process.
If it is 2020 rosters... he would be our starting center. Unless he is focused on being only a 4.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

terryarms wrote:I don't think the order listed in the tweets means anything, but I've heard over the last week or so that it's down to UK and AZ with him leaning to UK depending on how rosters are expected to shape up for the 2020 season.

I know we have a lot of turnover, but I feel like we have a much more secure spot than UK in 2020. UK has had complete overhauls to surprising returners and 10 man rotations. Predicting our roster isn't exact, but it is easier than predicting theirs.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Jr Williams
Jr Doutrieve
So Armstrong
Sr Lee
So Brown

That'd be pretty good,
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Marcus Lee 2.0 if he chooses Kentucky. If he seriously goes that route he will be the crowned king of moronic recruitments with 2 vastly idiotic decisions in back to back years.

Seriously choosing a school with numerous established seniors ahead of him with a coach who was always going to bolt the year after followed by a school that will over recruit him every year. You can't get any dumber than that.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

JB would be a sweet addition. Would also bring a little sunshine to a week that’s been otherwise drenched in shitstorm.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote:JB would be a sweet addition. Would also bring a little sunshine to a week that’s been otherwise drenched in shitstorm.
I actually don't think the week has been that bad for us? I think there's light at the end of the tunnel now, and nothing new + substantial has really come out (it's really just been a continuation of having our name in the news which obviously isn't ideal but still).
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

baycat93 wrote:If it is 2020 rosters... he would be our starting center. Unless he is focused on being only a 4.
My recollection is that he wanted to showcase himself as a four when he went through recruiting last time. As a college player, he's a much better fit at the five however.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Traditional sit out transfer
Goodman has him as the 13th best sit out (non grad) transfer
13) Stanley Umude, 6-6, 210, SG, Soph., South Dakota
Stats: 14.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg
Scout’s take: “Very good athlete, bouncy, slasher, strong handle, good mid-range game and can make 3s. Has the tools and athleticism to play at a very high level.”
Schools: Seton Hall, Texas, Buffalo, Arizona, Cal, Kansas, Washington State, Utah State, Arkansas, Kansas State, Western Kentucky
That scouts take... kind of sounds like Brandon Randolph
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:JB would be a sweet addition. Would also bring a little sunshine to a week that’s been otherwise drenched in shitstorm.
Actually, I sort of feel last week went about as well as it was going to. No direct evidence vs Miller in terms of paying players, just that he handled Ayton himself.

Plus the general testimony that all major programs have money flowing through them...it was a pretty accurate week that didn't change anything for Arizona.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Most Wins by D1 Program

Most Losses

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Actually, I sort of feel last week went about as well as it was going to. No direct evidence vs Miller in terms of paying players, just that he handled Ayton himself.

Plus the general testimony that all major programs have money flowing through them...it was a pretty accurate week that didn't change anything for Arizona.
More shitstorm today.

Look, I’m still in the “Miller’s hands remain clean” camp, as naive as that may make me look. But the media is having a fucking field day with this, ripping into Miller and AZ, and more and more I’m thinking Miller doesn’t survive this. Not because he’s done anything wrong but because there’s going to be mounting pressure on university admins and the ABOT to clean things up.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

More shitstorm today.

Look, I’m still in the “Miller’s hands remain clean” camp, as naive as that may make me look. But the media is having a fucking field day with this, ripping into Miller and AZ, and more and more I’m thinking Miller doesn’t survive this. Not because he’s done anything wrong but because there’s going to be mounting pressure on university admins and the ABOT to clean things up.
Clean things up? In week 1 of trial, the same people as this week said UNC, Duke, Kentucky and Kansas do this. ASU was trying to do this, but not good enough.

As long as we're honest that truly cleaning things up means going to sub-mid-major talent levels, ok. Until then, firing Miller to hire someone is just hoping the next guy cheats in a way where he doesn't get caught.

And yeah, if there's a damning part of Miller on a wire, he may have to go. I don't see the fear of the media, though. Bad press doesn't affect recruiting, winning, money into the program or the university as a whole. No kids are considering attending as regular students...but don't want to be linked with Sean Miller.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

The media has been having a field day with this for over a year. No point in cutting ties now when everything has been hearsay thus far imo. Just keep rolling on.
Mike Luke's burner account.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

More shitstorm today.

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

If AZ has a hot few years we can get into the top10 for wins soon.

Re: AZ and Miller, definitely have to keep plugging along and ignoring the hearsay. If there’s one thing we’ve learned from politics in the past couple years, no matter what you do it’ll blow over eventually. And often it’ll blow over fairly quickly. People have short attention spans. For evidence see pretty much every thing Trump does; and also to keep it neutral since we are outside of the PRB forum, VA governor Northam who deployed the same strategy after blackface and nobody talks about him anymore either. Not that Miller is guilty, but if those two can skate by with ease why can’t Miller? It’s a no brainer to stick with Miller.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

RJ Hampton reclassified and so it looks like Memphis. They'll probably also get Precious Achiuwa and Lester Quinones (already have #1 overall James Wiseman), a class which probably will surpass Arizona and Duke. Arizona would end with the #3 class.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

NYCat wrote:RJ Hampton reclassified and so it looks like Memphis. They'll probably also get Precious Achiuwa and Lester Quinones (already have #1 overall James Wiseman), a class which probably will surpass Arizona and Duke. Arizona would end with the #3 class.
The only reason I cared about a #1 next to our class was because it gave me something to point to when people said Sean needed to pay players to come to Arizona. That being said, I still feel our class is pretty much right there with the Duke and the possible Memphis class.

In a vacuum, this class may have slightly less talent. However, with how it fits with our returners from last years roster? I don't think I could be any happier. Miller filled in the glaring gaps in the roster with elite level players, something that felt almost years away before Brandon Williams re-committed almost exactly a year ago.

I still think his re-commitment, proving it was okay for high level recruits to commit to Arizona at a tricky time, was the catalyst for this class. If he doesn't do that, I don't know if I'm sure we get as firm of a commitment out of Nico as we did. Nico took that torch and ran with it, because after his commit the floodgate opened. Now only a year after restarting our 2018 class from scratch, we have 5 signed letters of intent from 2 McDonalds All Americans, 2 high level 4 star players and a player to develop with what seems like a pretty high ceiling. All the dominoes fell in the right way at the right time and October can't come soon enough.
loomer

Post by loomer »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I guess he found out about the California-Duke thing. If goes to Memphis with RJ Hampton that's even dumber than going to Duke.
Last edited by NYCat on Thu May 02, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:I guess he found out about the California-Duke thing. If goes to Memphis with RJ Hampton that's even dumber than going to Duke.
Dude was promised the PG spot and then Tre Jones came back. Then he was promised a Brandon Williams type situation and then Duke offered Cassius Stanley and took him. He was misled twice, he saw the writing on the wall, and good for him.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:I guess he found out about the California-Duke thing. If goes to Memphis with RJ Hampton that's even dumber than going to Duke.
Dude was promised the PG spot and then Tre Jones came back. Then he was promised a Brandon Williams type situation and then Duke offered Cassius Stanley and took him. He was misled twice, he saw the writing on the wall, and good for him.
UCLA? I actually think UVA makes sense for him too, he could get a ton of minutes for them right away considering their guard depth.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

So....Terry Armstrong...
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, why is he taking the Boogie Ellis decommitment out on us?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:So....Terry Armstrong...
I guess the number of transfers we’re going after was a sign that we may have known he would be up in the air...still would not be happy if he’s not on next year’s roster, but let’s see how Miller fills that scholly I guess. Wish Boogie felt a little bit more practical but our guard depth can’t be what he’s looking for.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Didn’t see any references to UA on his twitter but did see this...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:Didn’t see any references to UA on his twitter but did see this...

Somebody said he deleted all his Arizona references on social media.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

If it is over the concern of playing time, so be it. If it is related to the media circus around the program, just add it to the frustrating list of disappointments. I guess either way we all know what the media headline will be if he officially decommits.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fun

Wasn't the consensus amongst us that Terry was probably going to be the forgotten man in this class? Wonder if that idea trickled down to him and his people as well.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

DrWildcat wrote:If it is over the concern of playing time, so be it. If it is related to the media circus around the program, just add it to the frustrating list of disappointments. I guess either way we all know what the media headline will be if he officially decommits.
The former is the issue not the latter.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Are we even for sure landing Boogie or is the mere act of pursuing Boogie what did this
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Are we even for sure landing Boogie or is the mere act of pursuing Boogie what did this
Boogie has nothing to do with this and we are most certainly in no world for sure landing Boogie. If anything watch Memphis for him. Boogie's sole tie into this situation would be if Armstrong decommitted it would be for the same reason Boogie did at Duke.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I know we reached out, but I'm not even sure where Boogie would play. He's probably not supplanting Nico or BWill.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
DrWildcat wrote:If it is over the concern of playing time, so be it. If it is related to the media circus around the program, just add it to the frustrating list of disappointments. I guess either way we all know what the media headline will be if he officially decommits.
Of course I hope he stays committed, but I can live with that reason. No sense in coming if you are going to be unhappy with your role.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

ChooChooCat wrote:
If he does leave then I'm hoping Randolph comes back, I feel like a year with him coming in of the bench will be good for this team and help develop his game more naturally than last year. That or stock up on an extra transfer that has to sit out a year. You have the pieces for this year, now is the time to keep planning for 2020 and on.

I'm pretty disappointed on this one. Armstrong was one of the players in this class that I thought was gonna have a massive impact long term.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat wrote:Traditional sit out transfer
Goodman has him as the 13th best sit out (non grad) transfer
13) Stanley Umude, 6-6, 210, SG, Soph., South Dakota
Stats: 14.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg
Scout’s take: “Very good athlete, bouncy, slasher, strong handle, good mid-range game and can make 3s. Has the tools and athleticism to play at a very high level.”
Schools: Seton Hall, Texas, Buffalo, Arizona, Cal, Kansas, Washington State, Utah State, Arkansas, Kansas State, Western Kentucky
I guess this makes more sense in retrospect. Both would likely get no playing time (one because of sitting out the year). He'll start his visit Monday.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:I know we reached out, but I'm not even sure where Boogie would play. He's probably not supplanting Nico or BWill.
It's why we weren't even in his final 5 when before Nico's commitment we were the leader.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
I guess this makes more sense in retrospect. Both would likely get no playing time (one because of sitting out the year). He'll start his visit Monday.
Ummm that's up for debate.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Ok so I guess Dylan Smith is staying and getting major minutes lol. Don't need to make room if Brown comes to Arizona because Armstrong is bouncing
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Ok so I guess Dylan Smith is staying and getting major minutes lol. Don't need to make room if Brown comes to Arizona because Armstrong is bouncing
Brown isn't the only transfer we're after and I'm not referring to Umude, although maybe this Armstrong stuff changes things, I honestly don't know the route we'll take at the moment. Also Armstrong may have academic issues due to the numerous amounts of high schools he has attended, so that risk may make for an easier decision on our end.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:Ok so I guess Dylan Smith is staying and getting major minutes lol. Don't need to make room if Brown comes to Arizona because Armstrong is bouncing
Brown isn't the only transfer we're after and I'm not referring to Umude, although maybe this Armstrong stuff changes things, I honestly don't know the route we'll take at the moment. Also Armstrong may have academic issues due to the numerous amounts of high schools he has attended, so that risk may make for an easier decision on our end.
Are you allowed to say who the other transfer is that we're going after?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What terrible f-ing news to wake up to.

Throughout the past two weeks, I’ve been saying “But our recruiting class! But our recruiting class!” And now that too has taken a hit.

This shouldn’t be happening so close to the new season. And just wait till the damn media gets whiff of this.

Good times.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Can we still pull back Randolph and keep DD? I'd much rather that.

Sucks, Armstrong was really talented. He had ideal length and athleticism for a wing.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Boogie is a better PG than anyone we can land in 2020, and Williams seems to favor playing off ball. He could backup both Nico & Williams this year and get plenty of minutes being the main backup to both. I know it's likely he doesn't come here but he's better fit long term. Both Hazzard & Barcello would have to go tho.

So Josh Green & RHJ are the last two SFs that Arizona has gotten? (Ray Smith unfortunately didn't play due to injuries) This is like when Miller had only landed Turner & PJC in like a 5-6 year stretch. I still have nightmares of Blueitt + JP sleeves killing us on the wings. Rawle was like 6'4, Trier 6'5 and both were not gifted defenders (not saying Armstrong is or will be) but that size above 6'6-6'7 that plays ln the wings have killed us.

This sucks
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Are you allowed to say who the other transfer is that we're going after?
You'll know soon.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Choo, is it a grad transfer or traditional transfer?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Choo, is it a grad transfer or traditional transfer?
Sit a year guy.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

NYCat wrote:Boogie is a better PG than anyone we can land in 2020, and Williams seems to favor playing off ball. He could backup both Nico & Williams this year and get plenty of minutes being the main backup to both. I know it's likely he doesn't come here but he's better fit long term. Both Hazzard & Barcello would have to go tho.

So Josh Green & RHJ are the last two SFs that Arizona has gotten? (Ray Smith unfortunately didn't play due to injuries) This is like when Miller had only landed Turner & PJC in like a 5-6 year stretch. I still have nightmares of Blueitt + JP sleeves killing us on the wings. Rawle was like 6'4, Trier 6'5 and both were not gifted defenders (not saying Armstrong is or will be) but that size above 6'6-6'7 that plays ln the wings have killed us.

This sucks
I totally agree. Really liked what Armstrong had potential to be. However, if I had to choose b/w Armstrong and DD, I choose DD. So hopefully this means DD is bought in.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:Choo, is it a grad transfer or traditional transfer?
Sit a year guy.
If it is who I think it is I would say the trade off upside is a net negative, although not necessarily by much. I liked Armstrong's measurable's and athleticism.