Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
NYCat wrote:At this point just cut ties with Miller if the university and it's leaders aren't going to defend their choice to keep him. Along with the reasons the university, FBI, NCAA have already looked at what's been released and cleared Ayton, Rawle, and Miller to keep coaching. They didn't even do anything with the Ayton/Schlabach story, that was alll Scheer/WA driving the train
Fucking pathetic.
The longer they let these accusations fester in the public sphere, the more they are allowing each and every member of the team and staff get slandered. Does anyone escape the implication that they either paid recruits or were paid to play? It’s completely unfair and the AD needs to refute that idea immediately.

It’s not hard...

“We’ve investigated these specific accusations thoroughly and find them to be without merit.”
This.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
NYCat wrote:At this point just cut ties with Miller if the university and it's leaders aren't going to defend their choice to keep him. Along with the reasons the university, FBI, NCAA have already looked at what's been released and cleared Ayton, Rawle, and Miller to keep coaching. They didn't even do anything with the Ayton/Schlabach story, that was alll Scheer/WA driving the train
Fucking pathetic.
The longer they let these accusations fester in the public sphere, the more they are allowing each and every member of the team and staff get slandered. Does anyone escape the implication that they either paid recruits or were paid to play? It’s completely unfair and the AD needs to refute that idea immediately.

It’s not hard...

“We’ve investigated these specific accusations thoroughly and find them to be without merit.”
This.
Not sure what the justification/reasoning is, but if we haven't gotten any sort of statement in support of Miller from the University at this point, I don't think it's coming...
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Fucking pathetic.
It has to be one or the other. Either make your case for retention or don't retain him.

I understand the Ayton/Schlabach silence, because that was a surprise to investigate. This...what are you doing? Own the decision strongly.
This is NOT how public universities operate...we forget that the UofA is a publicly owned entity, there are rules for the rules that require rules about even talking about firing someone...

I did a project at NAU, one of the painters who worked for NAU full time for over 10 years pulled up a chair to watch my crew...he sat and read the newspaper all morning, made a sandwich and moved back into the shade...I asked him "Aren't you afraid of getting fired you're basically doing nothing today?" He said "I cannot be fired very easily and they know it...I've done everything on my to-do list for today, I just can't leave yet."

Universities operate at a much larger and slower frequency than we the general "normal" world operates in...I can almost promise you they don't give a rats ass about what ESPN or Yahoo, or ANYONE in the media is saying, they don't care they don't have to...

They've heard the tapes, run it by legal over a year ago...they have known for nearly a year that this would all come out and they have made their position clear and are not changing that AT ALL...because...well...its a dangerous game to try and fire a University employee without cause.

You let Miller go on hearsay and you dish out the full cost of his contract, basically deplete the entire Athletic dept budget for the next 5 years since the basketball program is the cash cow...and you think they even consider doing that based on an ex-employees tainted testimony?

Not.A.Chance.Comanche.

This blows over...Miller has managed to recruit in spite of the media hits...there's also a good chance the legal side has cooperated with the NCAA...

We're just seeing this shit...but its been known and discussed for the last year.

Nothingburger.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

goslingswagg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Fucking pathetic.

It’s not hard...

This.
Not sure what the justification/reasoning is, but if we haven't gotten any sort of statement in support of Miller from the University at this point, I don't think it's coming...
You just begin to wonder how long they plan to let this go. There's going to either be an official release from the university and/or athletic department, or Miller is being informed he's being fired as I write this.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Nobody at Arizona is hiding under a table, or making casual or jackass decisions whereas some kind of stronger administration would grab it all by the balls and release a statement by now.

I'm reminded of that time when I wasn't in Tucson and there was the terrorist attack in Barcelona, and we were hanging on every microscopic fiber of an indication that each and every member of the basketball team was accounted for and okay. At one point, I asked how Tucson is dealing with all this, and Alieberman reminded me that this message board community lives in a very different world, and that Tucson is completely unaware of anything that's happening.

Right now, fans of other programs, who are just as insane as we are, are reading the Yahoo and ESPN stories and the like, and tweeting about it and typing about to their own lunatic friends.

Right now, on the mall and in the student union, and in the halls of the buildings on the campus of the University of Arizona, and across every college campus in America, and in every office and house and apartment and bar and grocery store, there is zero awareness of any of this.

I'll be in a meeting with President Robbins this afternoon about a very concerning and fraught matter that has nothing to do with basketball. I'm sure as hell not going to ask him about this. But if somebody else does (which I doubt), I'll post it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:Nobody at Arizona is hiding under a table, or making casual or jackass decisions whereas some kind of stronger administration would grab it all by the balls and release a statement by now.

I'm reminded of that time when I wasn't in Tucson and there was the terrorist attack in Barcelona, and we were hanging on every microscopic fiber of an indication that each and every member of the basketball team was accounted for and okay. At one point, I asked how Tucson is dealing with all this, and Alieberman reminded me that this message board community lives in a very different world, and that Tucson is completely unaware of anything that's happening.

Right now, fans of other programs, who are just as insane as we are, are reading the Yahoo and ESPN stories and the like, and tweeting about it and typing about to their own lunatic friends.

Right now, on the mall and in the student union, and in the halls of the buildings on the campus of the University of Arizona, and across every college campus in America, and in every office and house and apartment and bar and grocery store, there is zero awareness of any of this.

I'll be in a meeting with President Robbins this afternoon about a very concerning and fraught matter that has nothing to do with basketball. I'm sure as hell not going to ask him about this. But if somebody else does (which I doubt), I'll post it.
Thanks, LH!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

We've known who Book was since 2007. We accepted it to preserve our program's East Coast pipeline when he came on board. He's what my wife's family used to call a "horse trader." A glad-hander on the surface, but when cornered, would slander anyone to save his own hide.

We also know that, given the university's history on public statements countering serious public charges, it moves about as slowly as the Catholic church. Maybe even slower.

I fully do not expect anyone in the AD not named Miller to have the competence to get out in front of these charges, get "on message" and start taking the battle to Dawkins and the media in the court of public opinion. The last move Heeke made on his own was attempting to fire one of Miller's assistant coaches. Nobody wants to engage in the battle that needs to be fought and reclaim the earned dignity of this program.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:Schlabach is probably high-fiving himself.
Why? Explain how this makes any sense

The timeline
Ayton commits to UA 9/6/16
Miller and Richardson meet Dawkins March 2017
Ayton arrives to UA June 17
Those are the undeniable ones

Now the items from the court and Schlabach
June 17 Miller "fronts" for Ayton
July 17 Richardson says Miller is paying Ayton 10k per month
June-Aug 17 Miller asks Dawkins for 100k to get Ayton to commit

None of the timeline makes any sense at all and Schlabach aint out of the woods yet as this timeline is proving
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

PHXCATS wrote:

The timeline

None of the timeline makes any sense at all and Schlabach aint out of the woods yet as this timeline is proving
Agreed. It's a small victory, but as we get deeper in to this shitstorm we see more evidence that Schlabach was wrong.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:

The timeline

Schalbach just wants Miller to be dirty so he can claim victory and not have to deal with details. None of this helps his original story, but if Miller gets fired, no one will remember.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Not that this is remotely the same, but Penn State built the book on what NOT to do with how they handled the Sandusky stuff. Perhaps there is a strategy to the silence, just food for thought.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Guys, I know that Schlabach is wrong. What I meant is that the past couple weeks are giving (false) credence to what he wrote last year. The media is covering this in a way that makes Book and Dawkins sound credible, not in a way that gives a fuller, more accurate account of where things stand.

In a strange way, it feels like Schlabach's future credibility is linked with Miller's fate at AZ. It didn't have to be this way, but Schlabach saw a chance to attract a lot of attention to himself and ran with it.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Any chance the FBI or NCAA goes public to reiterate what happened in 2017 regarding the clearing of Miller, Ayton, etc...and that no new information has been presented to change the findings of 2017? It doesn’t have to be in great detail but it sure would clear the air and bring some sanity to this circus.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:Any chance the FBI or NCAA goes public to reiterate what happened in 2017 regarding the clearing of Miller, Ayton, etc...and that no new information has been presented to change the findings of 2017? It doesn’t have to be in great detail but it sure would clear the air and bring some sanity to this circus.
Why would they? To do Arizona a favor?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:Any chance the FBI or NCAA goes public to reiterate what happened in 2017 regarding the clearing of Miller, Ayton, etc...and that no new information has been presented to change the findings of 2017? It doesn’t have to be in great detail but it sure would clear the air and bring some sanity to this circus.
Neither is under any legal obligation to do so. Not sure why the FBI or NCAA would do AZ any favors.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'd be shocked. This isn't the thrust of what the FBI cares about and they generally don't clear anyone.

The NCAA...they'd never risk saying that, then having new info come out. They have no incentive to stick their neck out for Arizona.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

The whole "it is nearly impossible to fire a university employee" bit above, while somewhat true, doesn't apply here.

We could fire him because we didn't like last season, want a new coach, don't like the bad publicity, woke up and decided to do so, etc. We don't need to make the case to fire him other than to do so with cause, and we have investigated that (much like we did with RichRod, and then fired him with the buyout anyway when our internal investigation didn't give enough).

So, if this got to be s**t stormy enough, we could fire him in a second. That's completely Robbins and Heeke's call. There is fallout...if your boosters aren't on board, say goodbye to boosters. You lose next year's class. You might be shown to have blown up the program for little to nothing. and so on...

But it is nearing time for someone in an official capacity to say "we are monitoring the proceedings, yet here are some inconsistencies and incorrectly-reported or attributed items that need to be addressed as background to why we are still monitoring the proceedings:

A
B
q
XIV

Thank you."
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Didn't really say anything about Arizona on stand, at least so far. Although they made up a player just to take money.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:The whole "it is nearly impossible to fire a university employee" bit above, while somewhat true, doesn't apply here.

We could fire him because we didn't like last season, want a new coach, don't like the bad publicity, woke up and decided to do so, etc. We don't need to make the case to fire him other than to do so with cause, and we have investigated that (much like we did with RichRod, and then fired him with the buyout anyway when our internal investigation didn't give enough).

So, if this got to be s**t stormy enough, we could fire him in a second. That's completely Robbins and Heeke's call. There is fallout...if your boosters aren't on board, say goodbye to boosters. You lose next year's class. You might be shown to have blown up the program for little to nothing. and so on...

But it is nearing time for someone in an official capacity to say "we are monitoring the proceedings, yet here are some inconsistencies and incorrectly-reported or attributed items that need to be addressed as background to why we are still monitoring the proceedings:

A
B
q
XIV

Thank you."
Absolutely correct with the caveat that Arizona literally can not afford to (monetarily) fire Sean Miller without cause. Until it either A. Obtains a booster willing to shell out oodles of money to not only fire Miller, but to lure a good coach or B. Obtains what cause to fire him it won't happen under any circumstance. Now if the NCAA says Miller is guilty of a NCAA violation whether it's the 11.1.1.lots of more 1's or another one then we can fire him with cause, but with how slow the NCAA are with their investigations we're another year or 2 out from that being an option if that's something we'd even want to pursue.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

EVCat wrote:The whole "it is nearly impossible to fire a university employee" bit above, while somewhat true, doesn't apply here.

A
B
q
XIV

Thank you."
Not a chance they let him go without a legal fight and paying a shit-ton of money, which was my point...yes ANYONE can be fired, and yes head coaches get the axe all the time, but it still remains a CONTRACT between the employee and the State and that contract is subject to conditions...the UofA could come out and say "We are firing Miller because he drives a Jag and does not use public transportation" but it would be terminating his contract WITHOUT cause which would cost them the entire payout PLUS whatever legal fees and awards he gets when he kicks their ass in court for violating a contract.

Any contract can be terminated, thats not the issue, the issue is how much money do you have, and frankly the UA could spend the next ten years athletic department budget and most people would not care...but it would basically tank the department beside pissing off a LOT of Boosters...

NEVER kick you prize bull in the nuts.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Didn't really say anything about Arizona on stand, at least so far. Although they made up a player just to take money.
Dawkins testifying is probably pretty juicy stuff from the legal perspective.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It makes trial tweets more fun if you act like D'Angelo is the R&B singer.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:It makes trial tweets more fun if you act like D'Angelo is the R&B singer.
How does it feel?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:It makes trial tweets more fun if you act like D'Angelo is the R&B singer.
How does it feel?
It feels like Dawkins was trying to get some Brown Sugar and everything was Crusin along and Smooth, but then the FBI got a Jonz in their Bonz to investigate and then Dawkins would up like "S**t, Damn, Motherf**ker."
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

What i am saying is a coach can be terminated without legal recourse for the AD just wanting to go in a new direction. No case for termination needs to be made.

There is a buyout, however
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

NYCat wrote:
Between this and the travesty of the Barr hearings, marrk today in your calendar, folks: It's National Ass-Licking Bad People Day!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

And of course the media is treating this shit like it's a fact. Sigh. So now we're back to the public thinking we're a bunch of cheaters.

Really hope the University says something soon. So sick of all of this.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AZCatGirl wrote:And of course the media is treating this shit like it's a fact. Sigh. So now we're back to the public thinking we're a bunch of cheaters.

Really hope the University says something soon. So sick of all of this.
If we keep our coach, avoid significant sanctions and recruit fine, I don't care if the public thinks we're cheaters. I can wear that black hat.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

You may be, Spiff, but what happens if the ABOR decides it wants to hold an "emergency meeting" or get re-involved with Miller based on just the optics?

The university AD can't afford to just hide under a table and wait until this blows over. It's got to make its position on Miller clear, and ASAP, before somebody decides to ignore due process and ignite a mob against Miller.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:You may be, Spiff, but what happens if the ABOR decides it wants to hold an "emergency meeting" or get re-involved with Miller based on just the optics?

The university AD can't afford to just hide under a table and wait until this blows over. It's got to make its position on Miller clear, and ASAP, before somebody decides to ignore due process and ignite a mob against Miller.
That's one reason I couched it in "if we keep our coach." If the PR gets to a point it endangers Miller, then I feel differently.

Coach, sanctions, recruits. If we stay good in those 3 areas, don't care about how bad Schlabach and Vitale try to assassinate us. When this touches one of those 3 areas, then we need a plan. I would like to see an immediate, concerted response from Arizona to address this in terms of the prior investigation and Miller's future.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The elephant in the room is that the families of an incredible recruiting class put their trust in Miller and Arizona despite a media narrative that you would think send people sprinting in the opposite direction. If my kid was being recruited at Arizona, I’d ask some tough questions of Miller, the AD, the school prez. The fact that this class is intact speaks volumes despite the effort by the media to have Miller fired.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

zonagrad wrote:The elephant in the room is that the families of an incredible recruiting class put their trust in Miller and Arizona despite a media narrative that you would think send people sprinting in the opposite direction. If my kid was being recruited at Arizona, I’d ask some tough questions of Miller, the AD, the school prez. The fact that this class is intact speaks volumes despite the effort by the media to have Miller fired.
Lol, the families of this incredible *magical* recruiting class are probably (like Ayton, Trier, and Alkins) getting some kind of payment too!

Seriously what does Miller even sell them on at this point (without cash)? Basketball-wise you have a micromanager coach who plays a restrictive 1950's offense who can't get to a single Final Four even with 8 straight years of top-5 classes and everything stacked in his favor.

Players legitimately interested in a 1950's offense can go to Virginia and actually get to a FF and win one. (never thought I'd type that)
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I see Rise and fire blanks has responded...no idea what he said, all I know is he is NOT a UA fan and why we put up with his trolling is beyond me, please no one quote him...he's on ignore for a reason.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Rise&Fail’s post goes to my point about how a lack of response from the AD enables ignorant assholes to slander Arizona players and their families.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:
zonagrad wrote:The elephant in the room is that the families of an incredible recruiting class put their trust in Miller and Arizona despite a media narrative that you would think send people sprinting in the opposite direction. If my kid was being recruited at Arizona, I’d ask some tough questions of Miller, the AD, the school prez. The fact that this class is intact speaks volumes despite the effort by the media to have Miller fired.
Lol, the families of this incredible *magical* recruiting class are probably (like Ayton, Trier, and Alkins) getting some kind of payment too!

Seriously what does Miller even sell them on at this point (without cash)? Basketball-wise you have a micromanager coach who plays a restrictive 1950's offense who can't get to a single Final Four even with 8 straight years of top-5 classes and everything stacked in his favor.

Players legitimately interested in a 1950's offense can go to Virginia and actually get to a FF and win one. (never thought I'd type that)
Packline defense. Recruits love packline defense and hate the 2-3 zone.

They also don't want some coach yelling at them to go faster. They prefer someone with actual strategies.

And yeah, top recruits are getting cash. Arizona, Duke, UNC, UK, Kansas, etc.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Rise and fire blanks
Chicat wrote:Rise&Fail’s
I think my favorite in this genre is Rise&Fart
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:You may be, Spiff, but what happens if the ABOR decides it wants to hold an "emergency meeting" or get re-involved with Miller based on just the optics?

That's one reason I couched it in "if we keep our coach." If the PR gets to a point it endangers Miller, then I feel differently.
I think we're already there. At the very least, there is far too much of this news being spread--" REPORT: Miller paid recruits $10K each."

Arizona's counsel needs to call a press conference with Miller to at least issue a statement. Reminding a media-obsessed culture that NONE of these "reports" have a shred of evidence, that the university stands behind Miller 100 percent, that Miller has been repeatedly the victim of baseless allegations he is not empowered by law to refute during an ongoing trial. That Miller will not comment at this time and cannot until the trial's conclusion, at which time it will be decided what action will be taken against these agents of slander and libel.

There is a time for passivity. This isn't it. "Do what we do" isn't going to respond to an ocean of BS that, right now, informs the college hoops public's entire opinion of Sean Miller.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

catgrad97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I think we're already there. At the very least, there is far too much of this news being spread--" REPORT: Miller paid recruits $10K each."

Arizona's counsel needs to call a press conference with Miller to at least issue a statement. Reminding a media-obsessed culture that NONE of these "reports" have a shred of evidence, that the university stands behind Miller 100 percent, that Miller has been repeatedly the victim of baseless allegations he is not empowered by law to refute during an ongoing trial. That Miller will not comment at this time and cannot until the trial's conclusion, at which time it will be decided what action will be taken against these agents of slander and libel.

There is a time for passivity. This isn't it. "Do what we do" isn't going to respond to an ocean of BS that, right now, informs the college hoops public's entire opinion of Sean Miller.
I see your point and raise you a "Are you still beating your wife" kind of question...there's a fine line in social media between presenting a valid response vs validating trolls...

Some responses are wrong no matter how true...if you say "I never beat my wife" you have authenticated the conversation, you have engaged a troll and that is a losers game (which is why I blocked Rise and Swallow)...

Fans on boards like this tend to live in a media buble where we see and chase down every damn rumor...there's a good chance the AD and Miller et al don't even have a rats ass clue regarding these hearings...Miller turned it over to his defense, he probably could care less...hell last year he missed a game because of this shit, he probably refuses to play it at all anymore..."You can drive back to Phoenix now" is more or less how he wants to respond to all of this.

It's still a nothing burger...left on the sidewalk it will blow away in exactly one social media news cycle...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

catgrad97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

The trial continues. Is Arizona going to hold a daily press conference to say "what we said is what we meant" ..?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I dont give a fuck what Arizona Athletics says publicly. I care about what they discuss with Miller and players
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Devils advocate...if true, is the $10K from Nike? Sounds like Miller didn't want Book handling any of this. Pasternack though?

Also very confusing statement: “You know what he bought per month,” Richardson said
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Devils advocate...if true, is the $10K from Nike? Sounds like Miller didn't want Book handling any of this. Pasternack though?

Also very confusing statement: “You know what he bought per month,” Richardson said
Look, KU was throwing money at Ayton. I don't think he came here for free.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Jefe wrote:Devils advocate...if true, is the $10K from Nike? Sounds like Miller didn't want Book handling any of this. Pasternack though?
He was hired at UC Santa Barbara on April 4th, 2017. The call between Dawkins & Book was intercepted in June 2017
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

From USATODAY
Dawkins:"We'll see how Sean plays it out."
Richardson: "You know what he bought per month?"
Dawkins: "What he do?"
Richardson:"I told you -- 10 (thousand)."
Dawkins: "He's putting up some real money for them (expletives). He told me he's getting killed."
Richardson: "But that's his fault."
Hmmmm sure sounds like both of them commenting as if fact that Miller was personally "fronting" the money if "he bought 10 thousand" and "he's getting killed" and thats "his fault". I mean I get it, Here's Miller, after embarrassing us again in the NCAA first round with Wichita State, so desperate to get the best player in the country so he takes on the financial burden himself in hopes that THIS one will be the one to make his crappy WWII-era offense work. Makes perfect sense.

I would say there is enough ammo by now for UA to finally abandon ship and terminate Miller for cause :idea:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Look, KU was throwing money at Ayton. I don't think he came here for free.
From an IU fan friend...
Sean should be commended for the morality he displayed by convincing the best player in the class to take just $10K/ month when everyone was likely offering him much more. I can't think of a more honorable figure. I would send my kid straight to AZ if he was great and Sean was there.

Seriously tho, I could see Ayton claiming, 'but Self is offering more.'
-Miller, 'but the weather in Kansas blows. And the corn-fed farm girls aren't as fun as our girls. So take the $10K and have fun. You'll be a millionaire next year.

He's really producing the greatest amount of happiness for everyone involved. Except for maybe Bill Self. But who fucking cares about that dude.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Look, KU was throwing money at Ayton. I don't think he came here for free.
Neither do I but I highly doubt Miller was using his salary to bring in recruits. He was using the normal channels whether that was Nike or local boosters. He clearly didn't want Book anywhere near that process. What about Pasternack?
NYCat wrote:He was hired at UC Santa Barbara on April 4th, 2017. The call between Dawkins & Book was intercepted in June 2017
The meeting Pasternack and Book were at with an undercover agent was during the P12 tourney.
HeShallWhoRemainUnQuoted wrote:Dawkins:"We'll see how Sean plays it out."
Richardson: "You know what he bought per month?"
Dawkins: "What he do?"
Richardson:"I told you -- 10 (thousand)."
Dawkins: "He's putting up some real money for them (expletives). He told me he's getting killed."
Richardson: "But that's his fault."
Miller could have been blowing smoke up Books ass for all we know. "Getting killed" lol
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
How does it feel?
It feels like Dawkins was trying to get some Brown Sugar and everything was Crusin along and Smooth, but then the FBI got a Jonz in their Bonz to investigate and then Dawkins would up like "S**t, Damn, Motherf**ker."

I Second That Emotion
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

My problem with all this is the short and medium term optics. Talk to anyone who is not a U of A fan, or an out-of-stater, and they say so what about that FBI tape about Miller paying players? 99.9% of people don't understand there is no FBI tape with Miller talking about paying players, which is the way Schlabach wrote his initial article and made the general public believe. It's also how the current ESPN reporting of this is going as well. Very unfair, since those 99.9% of people don't realize it's just two baffoons caught on an FBI wiretap talking on the phone talking about Sean Miller. Big difference, but one that gets lost in the all the media translation.

UA not firing Miller over 2 people having a conversation about Sean Miller absent any additional evidence. This will blow over in time, but in the NCAA sanctions process Miller better defend his ass to the extreme to disprove his knowledge of his assistant coach doing all this shady stuff to lessen or reduce any sanctions. It's the least we can get from him for no Final 4's and a god awful offensive scheme.