Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

splitsecond

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by splitsecond »

If the Daily Star had their druthers they would get Sunny Jim and Kevin O'Neill back tomorrow.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

PHXCATS wrote:Steve Haney will be on the radio tomorrow morning

This station has a text line where you can text in before during or after the interview. Should be interesting especially since Monty has been a huge turd during this process and believed every word from Haney so far.
Wonder if Haney is going to sling shit
UAEebs86 wrote:Did I mention Fuck The Daily Star?
Well they could've run with this quote and tried to make it the bigger deal (which Dickie V and others would've retweeted endlessly), they buried the lede on both fronts
“I’m not going to put (Miller) in a position that could hurt him. It’s just too sensitive for me. I don’t care that much. I don’t want him to lose his job.”
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

Maybe they can “spoort” a different cover photo and put Dawkins on there instead of Miller
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Irish27 wrote:
I'm so glad GP included th Dawkins quote on the non-Ayton phone call... Oh wait ...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

He sounds pretty disappointed.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The press was promised a warm dead body to fuck in the ass in public and goddamnit they need it now!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Schlabach, Parrish, Dick Vitale.

The NCAA.

The sponsors.

A bunch of white dudes who are more than just a little obsessed with maintaining exploitation of student athletes in a sport that happens to have a disproportionate amount of Black student athletes, whose unpaid workload sure is making a disproportionate amount of white dudes rich.

Interesting choice for their hill to die on.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:He sounds pretty disappointed.
We were promised a public flaying! Some one needs to be our escape goat, now!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Without a body to drag through the streets college basketball fans will have to wait for another lie to satiate the animal spirit. About a week will be more than enough.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:ESPN is just going to keep talking about “the allegations” as if they themselves didn’t make them up out of NOTHING and I’m going to seriously contemplate burning Bristol, Connecticut to the motherfucking ground.
I'm going to invoke seniority just this one time so I can light the first match.

I hope no one from Arizona athletics ever talks to anyone from that network ever again. Except in a lawsuit.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

:lol:
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Unless some new information comes to light or Book Richardson makes a statement implicating Miller, I don’t believe Arizona should face NCAA penalties. At all. For the last 18 months, Sean Miller’s reputation has been dragged through the mud, and with it, Arizona’s. The program suffered for a 2 seasons because of the media’s rush to judgement. That should be punishment enough.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

zonagrad wrote:Unless some new information comes to light or Book Richardson makes a statement implicating Miller, I don’t believe Arizona should face NCAA penalties. At all. For the last 18 months, Sean Miller’s reputation has been dragged through the mud, and with it, Arizona’s. The program suffered for a 2 seasons because of the media’s rush to judgement. That should be punishment enough.
Ha, degradation and humiliation are just a wee little appetizer to the NCAA.

Make no mistake, they are about to anally probe our basketball program. And if they find so much as a discounted dry cleaning bill, they will fuck us.

After all, someone’s going to have to pay up for Duke being tangentially mentioned in this bullshit. Might as well be the school whose reputation is already in the shitter.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

This clown on 1580 right now is straight up lying.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Chicat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:Unless some new information comes to light or Book Richardson makes a statement implicating Miller, I don’t believe Arizona should face NCAA penalties. At all. For the last 18 months, Sean Miller’s reputation has been dragged through the mud, and with it, Arizona’s. The program suffered for a 2 seasons because of the media’s rush to judgement. That should be punishment enough.

Make no mistake, they are about to anally probe our basketball program. And if they find so much as a discounted dry cleaning bill, they will fuck us.

After all, someone’s going to have to pay up for Duke being tangentially mentioned in this bullshit. Might as well be the school whose reputation is already in the shitter.

There are really only two strong possibilities here:

Remember the NCAA is comprised of college AD's/monkey-ups/Prez's/etc...it is a committee not some independent professional sports entity.

It is voluntary (and paid, but still its basically the college version of a high school student body government)...

Either they acknowledge the theory that ALL schools cheat and ALL schools such as Duke and KU are paying players thus they come down on UofA since we have been named as the chosen child, but then they must go after the others as well...(Because UofA has already hired legal counsel that will rip the NCAA a new one of we are the only program sanctioned)

Or...nothingburger...

Nothingburger is the safest...

Would you like some lie-fries with that nothingburger?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I wonder why no one ever TRULY considers the possibility that Miller is actually innocent, he has never paid players or allowed money to be funnelled to families and has records to prove it?

Why are we so quick to ASSUME everyone does it without any corroborating proof?

What if Miller is truly innocent on all accounts and there is enough evidence to convince both our own AD, our Prez, the independent investigation, the Freaking FBI AND THE NCAA????

If MIller has already convinced the FBI the school and the legal-eagles he is innocent on all charges why do we assume the NCAA will not be convinced by the same evidence?

Innocent until PROVEN guilty...so far not one person has brought ANY kind of proof, just hearsay...

There is just as much a possibility that Miller is innocent as any other scenario, and in that case the NCAA will probably do nothing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So I read Parrish's story. First, the sheer sense of disappointment that there won't be a public sacrifice to appease the god of amateurism is completely pervasive.

Second, the most hilarious argument is how you know Arizona probably paid Ayton because Kansas clearly paid Ayton...then the rest is all about Arizona with a throwaway reference to KU at the end. Repeat, the best evidence against Arizona is stuff Kansas was doing, and thus, Arizona and Miller must be punished.

It's a joke. A sad commentary on how little facts matter and how much of this is about dropping the hammer on someone to feed public perception.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

PHXCATS wrote:This clown on 1580 right now is straight up lying.
Sadly I caught that. He was trying to say that Miller should be fired for not getting to the final four. I wanted to bring up that since he was blaming the assistance and performance, that Hurley needs to go. He also hasn't won anything and has an assistant involved (and player).

Ultimately, more hot takes like this will happen as people process the grief associated with it all. Eventually, they will hit acceptance.

I dont know what any punishment will be. But unless its universal (all schools get the same time) then I hope UA brings down the NCAA. I am worried that the Admin will cave and not fight like other programs have done.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Gilbertcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:This clown on 1580 right now is straight up lying.
Sadly I caught that. He was trying to say that Miller should be fired for not getting to the final four. I wanted to bring up that since he was blaming the assistance and performance, that Hurley needs to go. He also hasn't won anything and has an assistant involved (and player).

Ultimately, more hot takes like this will happen as people process the grief associated with it all. Eventually, they will hit acceptance.

I dont know what any punishment will be. But unless its universal (all schools get the same time) then I hope UA brings down the NCAA. I am worried that the Admin will cave and not fight like other programs have done.
We will see what Haney says later but this clown said now UA fans believe Dawkins when he says something UA fans like. That is not it at all. It is about the final nail in the coffin for anything or anyone who believed the Schlabach report still. Now both parties on the alleged tape, 247 sports and others say it didnt happen. That on top of the timeline not working out between Ayton committing and the FBI investigation as well as no other news organizations running the story. That is the story yesterday not that Christian Dawkins spoke truth or is credible now
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Well what Dawkins said earlier had no proof to back it up. What he says now is actually backed up by 247, SI, and so on about no such coversation taking place. But some people don't mention that because it wouldn't fit their narrative. So fuck em. IDGAF.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:

This is how I think Arizona should handle this from here on, for what it's worth, with the NCAA.

1. Define what Book actually did. He solicited bribe money for his own personal gain. His actions didn't benefit Arizona, his superiors, and actually appear to have acted directly against Miller. See the "Sean needs to get out of the way" quote.

2. Emphasize the lack of corroborative evidence of the remainder of the allegations. Frankly, I feel better in a litigation situation with the NCAA than I do in the court of public opinion here. You can nicely but firmly remind the NCAA that proof matters and take time to clearly lay out all the lack of corroboration.

On this point, I would explicitly reference the words at trial that Duke, UNC, KU and UK all have their own money men. This leads to my final point, which is that Arizona should receive equal treatment, where words either count (so punish Duke) or don't.

3. Nicely but firmly demand a proportional punitive structure and signal willingness to appeal a non-proportional punishment (without being publicly disrespectful). There are 4 programs with convicted assistants, and we should expect proportional consequences for that. Direct evidence through texts of Bill Self's involvement came out. We should expect to be able to to see punitive consequences with us and KU that fit.

You never want to publicly disrepect the NCAA or they will USC football you. However, calmly signaling a willingness to go to the mat for proportional punishment also makes it clear we are not here to be the sacrificial lamb and will fight if they put us in that position.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

This is how I think Arizona should handle this from here on, for what it's worth, with the NCAA.

1. Define what Book actually did. He solicited bribe money for his own personal gain. His actions didn't benefit Arizona, his superiors, and actually appear to have acted directly against Miller. See the "Sean needs to get out of the way" quote.

2. Emphasize the lack of corroborative evidence of the remainder of the allegations. Frankly, I feel better in a litigation situation with the NCAA than I do in the court of public opinion here. You can nicely but firmly remind the NCAA that proof matters and take time to clearly lay out all the lack of corroboration.

On this point, I would explicitly reference the words at trial that Duke, UNC, KU and UK all have their own money men. This leads to my final point, which is that Arizona should receive equal treatment, where words either count (so punish Duke) or don't.

3. Nicely but firmly demand a proportional punitive structure and signal willingness to appeal a non-proportional punishment (without being publicly disrespectful). There are 4 programs with convicted assistants, and we should expect proportional consequences for that. Direct evidence through texts of Bill Self's involvement came out. We should expect to be able to to see punitive consequences with us and KU that fit.

You never want to publicly disrepect the NCAA or they will USC football you. However, calmly signaling a willingness to go to the mat for proportional punishment also makes it clear we are not here to be the sacrificial lamb and will fight if they put us in that position.
I 100% agree.

And if that doesn't work, release a deep fake video of Coach K blowing a recruit's AAU coach for a soft verbal commitment.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Just want to acknowledge such a well written post. I hope Dr. Robbins reads this.

To add, regarding the Phelps situation... if that turns out to be nothing and not violation... I hope Robbins fires heeke and uses his attempted firing of phelps as the reason Heeke was let go. An internal matter that Robbins had to rectify.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I wish spiff were our AD over heeke cause with heeke in charge none of this happens.

He’s crying in his Cheerios because he thought he was going to be able fire mean old miller.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Sean Miller's our coach: Arizona president backs coach after basketball bribery trial

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 152052001/" target="_blank

Rehash of everything posted above but its probably not written for the standard ASU reader so they could understand it.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah, this is embarrassing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm still having a hard time believing that the countless writers and commentators who chimed in on this, and have turned out to be flat wrong, are just going to shrug their shoulders and move on to the next topic du jour. Miller deserves so much more than he's gotten up to this point. It's nice to have the local media rally behind him, and some of the national guys (Seth Davis), but we need to hear from Bilas and Greenberg and the many others who blasted Miller publicly last year.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Self punish!

Self imposed post season ban!

Self imposed loss of scholarships!

Suspend Miller for 15 games!

Self imposed banning of anti perspirant products for Miller!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol...
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Federal Prosecutors Get Underwhelming Win in Second College Hoops Corruption Trial
In response to Wednesday’s verdicts, Fischer tweeted an astute inference derived from the trial’s findings: the FBI probably hoped to use Dawkins to bribe prominent head coaches who they suspected of cheating, but that plan never materialized. Evidence and testimony only showed payments to assistant coaches. To date, no head coach has been charged.

The NCAA is free to rely on available evidence and witness testimony adduced through the trials and through the larger Justice Department probe into college basketball corruption. However, as I explained in my story last week on Sean Miller, the NCAA and universities would be wise to adopt a healthy dose of skepticism towards uncorroborated allegations voiced by unreliable accusers against head coaches.

The million-dollar question is now whether these trials, convictions and plea deals will tangibly change college basketball.

On one hand, defendants who were convicted of, or pleaded guilty to, bribing assistant coaches and players will probably spend some time (most likely months) in prison.

On the other hand, some of the corruption proven in the trials reflects the orchestration of the federal government.
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... y-verdicts" target="_blank

Another good read by him.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:So I read Parrish's story. First, the sheer sense of disappointment that there won't be a public sacrifice to appease the god of amateurism is completely pervasive.

Second, the most hilarious argument is how you know Arizona probably paid Ayton because Kansas clearly paid Ayton...then the rest is all about Arizona with a throwaway reference to KU at the end. Repeat, the best evidence against Arizona is stuff Kansas was doing, and thus, Arizona and Miller must be punished.

It's a joke. A sad commentary on how little facts matter and how much of this is about dropping the hammer on someone to feed public perception.
it's such a dumb argument because if there are people paying players then zion was offered money. so by his assumption duke payed zion cause someone was willing to.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

SunnyAZ wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:So I read Parrish's story. First, the sheer sense of disappointment that there won't be a public sacrifice to appease the god of amateurism is completely pervasive.

it's such a dumb argument because if there are people paying players then zion was offered money. so by his assumption duke payed zion cause someone was willing to.
And apparently the distinction between Miller and Kryzewski is that a convicted criminal was asked and didn't answer whether Kryzewski knew his players are being paid.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Longhorned wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:

And apparently the distinction between Miller and Kryzewski is that a convicted criminal was asked and didn't answer whether Kryzewski knew his players are being paid.
You can add Larry Krystkowiak to that list because apparently Kyle Kuzma was supposed to be getting paid...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:

Yep. If Kansas being willing to pay Ayton is evidence against Arizona, Kansas was also ready to pay Zion.

Are we going to carry this to the logical conclusion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Are we using real logic or enfuego logic?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:Are we using real logic or enfuego logic?
Technical amateurism.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Are we using real logic or enfuego logic?
Technical amateurism.
Is this like how you can claim you're technically a virgin even if you've done...some other stuff?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Chicat wrote: And if that doesn't work, release a deep fake video of Coach K blowing a recruit's AAU coach for a soft verbal commitment.
A "soft" verbal commit? Is he that bad at it? I'd expect at least a semi-hard commit...
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

EVCat wrote:
Chicat wrote: And if that doesn't work, release a deep fake video of Coach K blowing a recruit's AAU coach for a soft verbal commitment.
A "soft" verbal commit? Is he that bad at it? I'd expect at least a semi-hard commit...
lmaoooo
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Yeah, this is embarrassing.
Parrish has a podcast with norlander that I used to listen to sparingly. He is unrelenting in his assumptions and is nearly intolerable to listen to. And he was borderline annoying to begin with. It is the CBS eye on college basketball podcast. Make sure you have a corkscrew handy so you can pull your brain out through your ear. It does ease the pain of listening to him a bit.

Edit: forgot my point.....

Parrish is a bloviating dolt and I don't give what he says much creedance.
Last edited by U.P. Zona Fan on Thu May 09, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PHXCATS wrote:Steve Haney will be on the radio tomorrow morning

A huge nothingburger today. Only thing is Haney said he likes Arizona from his time in college as a player and twice he mentioned that Book said that Miller was paying players and said that is the most honest anyone will be.

Haney also said Miller was on tap 13 times. The host took that as a victory lap against Arizona saying in proved Miller was dirty and that UA needs to fire him in order to win and that asu passed UA as the better team in the state.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

It comes down to...is it worth it to keep living this BS and rip scabs and fight a major media player with huge resources, who might uncover other issues with their big pocket goons, to sue over Schlabach's report? Disney has never fought clean.

Probably not. But I would be talking with ESPN behind the scenes saying "if you fire Schlabach, we are good." Everyone could make the inference there. But it would have to be swift.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EVCat wrote:
Rat Face uses teeth.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Omg, Vitale. Just stay out of it, ffs.