Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
"Except when Rick Pitino's assistant was buying prostitutes. That was totally not Rick's fault."

Seriously, how hypocritical is that. Louisville assistants were in the FBI report and Dickie V lost his shit about Pitino being fired. Plus, no mention of USC, OK State...all the other programs.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:
"Except when Rick Pitino's assistant was buying prostitutes. That was totally not Rick's fault."

Seriously, how hypocritical is that. Louisville assistants were in the FBI report and Dickie V lost his shit about Pitino being fired. Plus, no mention of USC, OK State...all the other programs.
What's just so irritating is that his tweets feel both entirely sincere and entirely ignorant. He's very sincere in his ignorance.

The way I see it is: if you're getting your "hot takes" from Dick Vitale, you've got bigger problems.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

NYCat wrote:
This old fart is exhausting
97cats

Post by 97cats »

hes an idiot
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Chicat wrote: And if that doesn't work, release a deep fake video of Coach K blowing a recruit's AAU coach for a soft verbal commitment.
A "soft" verbal commit? Is he that bad at it? I'd expect at least a semi-hard commit...
Rat Face uses teeth.
Oral persuasion of a verbal commit?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Still waiting for Dickie V's apology. All this goes back to his conviction that Arizona should fire Miller because of the non-existent Schlabach tapes.

And I just thought of our new nickname that's going to piss them all off: The Unsullied
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I would actually expect Bilas to apologize before Vitale. Bilas is normally pretty even-keeled, pretty fair. I was surprised to hear him come out so aggressively against Miller last year, with so many unanswered questions. He's a lawyer; should know better.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

GDIAF Vitale
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:I would actually expect Bilas to apologize before Vitale. Bilas is normally pretty even-keeled, pretty fair. I was surprised to hear him come out so aggressively against Miller last year, with so many unanswered questions. He's a lawyer; should know better.
You know what you call someone who went to law school but isn’t a practicing lawyer and yet still manages to work their law degree into every conversation?

An asshole.

Fuck Jay Bilas. I hope he shits himself in public.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Good article written 2 days ago about Miller's potential defamation case against ESPN by an attorney and UA grad; Above the Law: Falsehoods in the Media. Because Miller's a public figure, no real shot at a lawsuit, but would be nice if ESPN would at least try to set the record straight, even if short of an apology to Miller. They did kill off an entire recruiting class and irreparably damaged Miller's coaching reputation forever. It damaged the reputation of the University of Arizona, a public university with a budget of $2.6 billion dollars and world renowned optics and space exploration research & production facilities. Miller's already lost in the court of public opinion, deemed a cheater for many, forever. They're digging in though, standing by their reporting, to prevent any appearance of potentially knowing their report was false or ignored clear signs it was. It's reasonable to conclude at this point Schlabach's source misinterpreted the supposed conversation, as well as the persons on the supposed call, as well as its timeline, and Schlabach was irresponsible enough to run with it without directly hearing or seeing the supposed source's evidence, as was ESPN.

Just in March of this year, famed college football and golf writer Dan Jenkins died. He attended the last 60 or so majors in golf, played golf with presidents, wrote for newspapers, magazines, and wrote books. At the end he talked about the journalistic standards he lived by, and his code of ethics he taught young writers, some of what he said has bearing here. He said "My advice doesn't change. Be accurate first, then entertain if it comes natural. Never sell out a fact for a gag. Your job is to inform above all else. Know what to leave out. Don't try to force-feed an anecdote if it doesn't fit your piece, no matter how much it amuses you....I think I can say with all honesty that I've never written a sentence I didn't believe, even if it happened to be funny."

At this point, one would think Schlabach regrets ever writing that story; but with ESPN digging in behind it, with no clarification or apology from either, it just sits there looking (and stinking) worse by the day. Maybe they have the magic fbi tape or some transcript from the magic source to share in some way; if they do, maybe they can let us in on it. But after the gov't refuted the initial report in a court hearing later on the matter, the ones with all the evidence, and they never used the recording against a head coach, choosing to reserve it to charge only an assistant when they could have gotten a head coach with it? That's like with damning evidence on all, the government electing to prosecute the local street drug dealer instead of the head drug distributors and importers. It's like c'mon ESPN, show us your cards! Wherever there are people there exists hypocrisy, but Bilas took a pretty swing at it. He was a commentator on ESPN's 30 for 30 TV documentary on the Duke lacross scandal, and says directly into the camera that we should all learn from this Duke lacross case, to not jump to conclusions until actual facts and evidence start coming out. That standard, obviously, only applies if someone at Duke is accused of something. Lots to learn from this, until it's not, when the next reporter does the same thing and everybody falls for it.
mofo

Post by mofo »

A lot of good posts here but let’s be real. Everyone who follows college b-ball knows about the story of Miller paying Ayton $100k. And damn near everyone outside of this message board who follows college b-ball still thinks that’s the case because they don’t really care what happened at the trial and damn sure haven’t read what Dawkins said yesterday because it hasn’t been outed. Most people I’m sure have no idea all the wrongs in ESPN’s story. The ESPN fucks have no reason to apologize for something nobody knows about. If this became something that got legs then maybe, but I still doubt it. Best thing to do I guess is call the hacks out on Twitter. Maybe it’ll catch on before you get blocked.
Last edited by mofo on Thu May 09, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ESPN still broadcasts several Arizona games each season. Last year, Miller did not do any halftime interviews. I wonder if ESPN bothered to even ask, or Arizona got the message to producers, “don’t even fucking bother”

I suspect Miller will stay silent until the NCAA makes its judgement. After that, all bets are off. When the dust settles, and I mean really finally settles, I hope Miller calls out every media douche who took a swipe at him.

But the greatest fuck you is Miller having a great season and punching a ticket to the Final Four.
prh

Post by prh »

I still hope Sean never talks to espn again.

Just make sure to talk to CBS/Fox/P12 to make it obvious
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

You mean make it as obvious as calling a time out with .03 seconds on the clock against UCLA. That would be so sweet
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
prh

Post by prh »

azcat49 wrote:You mean make it as obvious as calling a time out with .03 seconds on the clock against UCLA. That would be so sweet
Still one of my favorite moments of his tenure
ralmom22

Post by ralmom22 »

azcat49 wrote:You mean make it as obvious as calling a time out with .03 seconds on the clock against UCLA. That would be so sweet

We were there live for it- it was my favorite fandom moment of the pac-12 tournament to date. Our- then 10 year old- so who is a huge Kadeem fan called us while we were in the stadium screaming into the phone
“Coach Miller got them! He got them back for Kadeem!” It really was an amazing moment of Wildcat loyalty.

Thinking Miller may provide a few more epic moments this season...bear down!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Pretty big news on the NCAA investigation front
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Pretty big news on the NCAA investigation front
Just imagine if Dawkins took the plea deal like he should have in the first place then nobody ever would've heard Book bullshitting. Now we need Book to come through for us.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

So they won't be given the wiretap that doesn't exist?

They will still find a way to stick it to us.
-JB
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

In a stunning turn of events, it sounds like the NCAA overplayed their hand (again). They're so bad at this and should just pack up and go home.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Just imagine if Dawkins took the plea deal like he should have in the first place then nobody ever would've heard Book bullshitting. Now we need Book to come through for us.
Just think, if the Schlabach story doesn't drop and then Dawkins isn't an idiot and goes to trial, were in a pretty similar position to Auburn right now.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If true, the biggest worry I had was new info in an undisclosed wire. That would literally take care of the biggest remaining concern I have about this whole thing.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Chicat wrote:
Thanks. I spent 5 minutes trying to imbed and couldn’t. Screen came up blank.

And the above doesn’t at all make me look crazy. Nope. Totally sane!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It's about the best summation out there of just how fucked ESPN's "reporting" was and continues to be.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Chicat wrote:It's about the best summation out there of just how fucked ESPN's "reporting" was and continues to be.
I’ve had several checkmarks ask me about it in DM. Including one linked to a positive article here in this thread.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Chicat wrote:It's about the best summation out there of just how fucked ESPN's "reporting" was and continues to be.
I’ve had several checkmarks ask me about it in DM. Including one linked to a positive article here in this thread.
Any intend or interested in writing an article in just how fucked up their competitor's journalistic ethics are?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Nice! Since the limp dick AD won't do anything, I guess it's up to real fans to set the record straight.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Yeah JMark... your twitter personality lately is.... a bit unhinged!!!!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Alieberman wrote:Yeah JMark... your twitter personality lately is.... a bit unhinged!!!!
Which personality?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Chicat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
Nice! Since the limp dick AD won't do anything, I guess it's up to real fans to set the record straight.
No kidding
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

ChooChooCat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
Any intend or interested in writing an article in just how fucked up their competitor's journalistic ethics are?
Not sure it goes that far. But I’m doing my best.

ESPN is still a dream job for a lot of folks, so I gotta find the right combination of age, place in career, aspirations to stir shit up, and lack of fucks to want to rock the boat.

That said, everything said has been overwhelmingly positive.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Yeah JMark... your twitter personality lately is.... a bit unhinged!!!!
Which personality?
True.

Which 1 says Fuck every other word?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

JMarkJohns wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
Not sure it goes that far. But I’m doing my best.

ESPN is still a dream job for a lot of folks, so I gotta find the right combination of age, place in career, aspirations to stir shit up, and lack of fucks to want to rock the boat.

That said, everything said has been overwhelmingly positive.
ESPN used to be a dream job for me too.

Times change.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Best Twitter thread of all time
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Apologies in advance JMJ, but anyone with a avi of Guy Fawkes mask a from V for Vendetta is a little bit unhinged.

Good Twitter thread BTW.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Just need Kerr, RJ or Channing to retweet that thread for it to go truly viral
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

YoDeFoe wrote:Best Twitter thread of all time
Yep, along with the one about bath sheets.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I know this might not get much traction here because well, everyone hates the NCAA and is pretty well convinced that they are EvilCorp Incarnate...but what if...

What if the NCAA having ALREADY cleared Ayton and Rawle and Trier...having already seen the evidence (or lack thereof) against Miller...and having seen how much the UofA has cooperated and been pro-active in providing any and all support to them in this process...after all that...

What if the NCAA looks at this and says (under their breath) ESPN and people like Mark Schlabach are the real problem here, we're doing our best and they are always calling for our head on a platter, case in point Look how they've tried to destroy Sean Miller who has cooperated fully with everything we have asked?

What if instead of making Miller and example they decide they will make ESPN and example and clear Miller of all wrong doing, saying he provided AMPLE evidence of institutional control and was cooperative a perfect EXAMPLE of how to handle this stuff?

I know no one here will buy this...but lets look at hat I've said for a long time...I've said there was NO wiretap with Miller on it...that proved to be true...

I think this is a PR nightmare for the NCAA, the whole FBI trial and everything with it...but the one way the NCAA can turn the narrative is to show that cooperating schools PROVE this was all bullshit...

instead of coming down on UA, they could support UA and all of the sudden the issue is fake media/bllodlust on ESPN and "move along there is not really anything to see here..."

You think thats a pipe dream?

I don't...its a brilliant 3D chess move on their part.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Any attempt by ESPN or Yahoo to give their own stories more weight by referencing each other’s reports is called circular reporting and is total bullshit. The both got false info from the same shitty source(Haney). By referencing other reports, it sends a message to the reader that there are more than one source to the leaks. The whole thing is a fabrication.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatFanOneMil wrote:I know this might not get much traction here because well, everyone hates the NCAA and is pretty well convinced that they are EvilCorp Incarnate...but what if...

What if the NCAA having ALREADY cleared Ayton and Rawle and Trier...having already seen the evidence (or lack thereof) against Miller...and having seen how much the UofA has cooperated and been pro-active in providing any and all support to them in this process...after all that...

What if the NCAA looks at this and says (under their breath) ESPN and people like Mark Schlabach are the real problem here, we're doing our best and they are always calling for our head on a platter, case in point Look how they've tried to destroy Sean Miller who has cooperated fully with everything we have asked?

What if instead of making Miller and example they decide they will make ESPN and example and clear Miller of all wrong doing, saying he provided AMPLE evidence of institutional control and was cooperative a perfect EXAMPLE of how to handle this stuff?

I know no one here will buy this...but lets look at hat I've said for a long time...I've said there was NO wiretap with Miller on it...that proved to be true...

I think this is a PR nightmare for the NCAA, the whole FBI trial and everything with it...but the one way the NCAA can turn the narrative is to show that cooperating schools PROVE this was all bullshit...

instead of coming down on UA, they could support UA and all of the sudden the issue is fake media/bllodlust on ESPN and "move along there is not really anything to see here..."

If the NCAA didn't already have a reputation of fucking kids over because a coach bought them a sandwich I'd say there was a chance of that, however...............
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

azgreg wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:I know this might not get much traction here because well, everyone hates the NCAA and is pretty well convinced that they are EvilCorp Incarnate...but what if...

If the NCAA didn't already have a reputation of fucking kids over because a coach bought them a sandwich I'd say there was a chance of that, however...............
Yea, I wasn't suggesting the NCAA had ANY altruistic organs at all...what I am suggesting is this approach gives their own reputation some elevation by pushing back on all the others...it has nothing to do with UA or Miller, it is simply they have a PR clusterfuck going on as it is...by clearing Miller it suggests they are still in charge and the FBI thing was a nothing burger...gives them more time to create more committees to study more -non-doing shit.

Ive never once entertained that they care about the kids.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Jan 22 from the Star(fixed the sentencing date):

Richardson, 46, wiped tears from his eyes after telling the judge he accepted $20,000 in exchange for a promise to steer student-athletes potentially headed to the NBA to would-be agent Christian Dawkins. Prosecutors said Richardson planned to use $15,000 of the money to entice one prized recruit to attend Arizona.

Richardson said he "knew this conduct was wrong."
''Did you know it was against the law?'' Judge Edgardo Ramos asked.
''Yes, your honor,'' Richardson answered.

As part of a plea agreement struck earlier this month, Richardson pleaded guilty to one count of federal funds bribery while four other charges were dismissed. The remaining charge typically carries a sentence of between 18 to 24 months in prison. Richardson agreed not to appeal any prison sentence of two years or less, according to the plea agreement, and will pay back $20,000. He will not have to cooperate with federal authorities under the terms of the deal, said Craig Mordock, Richardson's New Orleans-based attorney.

Richardson will be sentenced on May 30
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

NYCat wrote:
Apologies in advance JMJ, but anyone with a avi of Guy Fawkes mask a from V for Vendetta is a little bit unhinged.

Good Twitter thread BTW.
That’s been my avatar since February 27, 2018. It will haunt Schlabach in his dreams.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Alieberman wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:
Which personality?
True.

Which 1 says Fuck every other word?
Both, but one it emotionally, the other one strategic!

@JMJsaysFuckYou is strategic
@TheRealestJMark is emotional
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I retweeted that Twitter thread immediately. It was, seriously, 2nd only to the McCann article in putting everything together. Scheer has been brilliant, but it comes in blasts, more like the raw material you used to sew that thread together.

I have lost count at the number of times I have linked the McCann article in a national thread...
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

EVCat wrote:I retweeted that Twitter thread immediately. It was, seriously, 2nd only to the McCann article in putting everything together. Scheer has been brilliant, but it comes in blasts, more like the raw material you used to sew that thread together.

I have lost count at the number of times I have linked the McCann article in a national thread...
Yeah, McCann is my dude. I have tried to promote his content at every turn, including him and his content in my thread.

Jason was like 25% of my Source for where to find stuff.

But a lot of it was just pure obsession. I still have stuff I’m not quite sure where to put regarding Zagoria making up shit, Hansen lying, etc.

Decided to just hone focus and keep it largely on ESPN.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner