sorry, not sorry

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

U.P. Zona Fan

Re: sorry, not sorry

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:A postseason ban for the upcoming season would be...I mean...I can't even process that.
I feel like there should be a predict our sanctions thread.

I will say I'm much more optimistic than NYCat about not receiving a postseason ban. I also think it is less likely Miller is directly sanctioned. I could see a scholarship reduction and probation.
Parrish and norlander predicted that on this date in 2021 Miller will not be our coach, Wade will not be at LSU, but self will be at Kansas. Thought that was entertaining. I would not have made the same predictions. And I agree we should have a predict the sanctions thread with prizes.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NY, I focus on proportionality with other schools because in my opinion, it is crucial to an effective litigation strategy with Arizona and the NCAA. I posted an outline of the litigation strategy I'd employ in the other thread, I'll just link it here:

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... start=5600" target="_blank

It matters heavily because in every aspect of this, we are not the only school implicated or involved. If we're punished for Book's conviction, we should be proportionally punished to the other programs with a convicted assistant.

I also specifically laid it out in the context of a litigation strategy with the NCAA because I believe that is a more effective vehicle for the result we want. To a large extent, we lost the majority of the public the second the Schlabach story dropped. That fight is over except for mitigating damage.

The NCAA litigation is not over. It offers a venue for the sort of detailed analysis that can actually benefit us. I would fully focus on winning in that arena. The public backlash will mitigate over time with a decent NCAA result.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Ah, I see.

School's that run parallel to Arizona are Oklahoma St, Auburn, and USC. All had assistant coaches taking bribe money and some plead guilty to that. But Arizona stands alone in that they have all this extracurricular stuff. We don't know how the NCAA will go about this, or what they will use - other than the guilty pleas almost surely. Like you said, the proportional punishments should be made with those schools, unless the NCAA chooses to pursue the extracurricular stuff.

I don't see how Louisville's case with Bowen fits into that proportionally or even say Kansas with De Sousa, other than being involved in the first FBI trial. Those are separate cases on their own and shouldn't be a gauge to see what Arizona receives, which BTW I don't know what the NCAA can do. They both were held out then ruled ineligible and didn't play when it was revealed alleged payments were given to their parents/guardians. It's not like both schools played them after the revelations came to light.

Huge difference here as it relates to Arizona is they chose to play Rawle, Ayton, Trier after allegations of payments surfaced. If the NCAA is going to punish Louisville & Kansas for alleged payments to parents but sitting out players, what are they going to do to Arizona? Much worse you would think.

But I don't see investigations being opened on Auburn, OK St, USC unless I somehow missed them. They are however opening them on Arizona, Louisville which makes me think they are taking a look at the extracurricular stuff. That makes me think we don't skate by and get like a post season ban, Miller probably is suspended for several games like Boeheim, maybe loss of scholarships and some probation and/or lack of institutional control.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

In the first trial Self is on the phone with Adidas and Townsen has multiple conversations about Adidas and money. It was also testified to that Adidas gave money for Ayton to go to Kansas.....I guess you could argue that Adidas is just willy nilly paying players to go to Kansas that they know nothing about. I would then argue the Tooth Fairy is real. Kansas also played half a year with an ineligible player. Remember our punishment when the JET did that. Forfeit all games and pay back the NCAA tourney money. Kansas will not break UCLA's consecutive conference championship record because of this and it will drive Self to the PRO's after it comes down.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I hear the bulls are hiring?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Ah, I see.

School's that run parallel to Arizona are Oklahoma St, Auburn, and USC. All had assistant coaches taking bribe money and some plead guilty to that. But Arizona stands alone in that they have all this extracurricular stuff. We don't know how the NCAA will go about this, or what they will use - other than the guilty pleas almost surely. Like you said, the proportional punishments should be made with those schools, unless the NCAA chooses to pursue the extracurricular stuff.

I don't see how Louisville's case with Bowen fits into that proportionally or even say Kansas with De Sousa, other than being involved in the first FBI trial. Those are separate cases on their own and shouldn't be a gauge to see what Arizona receives, which BTW I don't know what the NCAA can do. They both were held out then ruled ineligible and didn't play when it was revealed alleged payments were given to their parents/guardians. It's not like both schools played them after the revelations came to light.

Huge difference here as it relates to Arizona is they chose to play Rawle, Ayton, Trier after allegations of payments surfaced. If the NCAA is going to punish Louisville & Kansas for alleged payments to parents but sitting out players, what are they going to do to Arizona? Much worse you would think.

But I don't see investigations being opened on Auburn, OK St, USC unless I somehow missed them. They are however opening them on Arizona, Louisville which makes me think they are taking a look at the extracurricular stuff. That makes me think we don't skate by and get like a post season ban, Miller probably is suspended for several games like Boeheim, maybe loss of scholarships and some probation and/or lack of institutional control.
Well, I certainly advocate Arizona takes a respectful but firm tack with the NCAA. Starting by pointing out that the only proven Arizona conduct is Book's plea, which is directly analgous to SC, OK St and Auburn, yet no investigation there, is great.

The NCAA's punitive decisions are heavily based in proportion and precedent, because they lack a true structure. Obviously, the first step is drilling down to the actual proven conduct. Next, the direct proportion is the other schools with guilty assistants, assuming we're successful factually.

In the proportionality analysis, tying in Kansas and Louisville helps. It also helps factually. We can use Self's texts to distinguish from the mere words of others with Miller. Then we can use Louisville's tacit admission to Pitino and his assistant's misconduct while on probation as a foundational hook for arguing we're proportionally far less demanding of punishment.

The NCAA lacks a set system of sentencing guidelines. Controlling their analysis of precedent and proportion is our best way to control any sanctions. Being firm in a willingness to challenge a disproportionate sanction helps tremendously. UNC and PSU backed them down with an aggressive litigation strategy without publicly disrespecting their authority.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UNC’s defense changed how schools will defend themselves moving forward. They were willing to pursue a defense that was openly immoral: Equal access to all students for our fake classes that allow us to cheat on eligibility.

Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong, but the academic and athletic reputations of UNC have suffered zero as a result. The idea voiced by Hansen that Arizona will suffer as an institution if they don’t self-punish and fire Miller because self-interested criminals used his name to advance their schemes, is laughable.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Agree, totally laughable.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote: The idea voiced by Hansen that Arizona will suffer as an institution if they don’t self-punish and fire Miller because self-interested criminals used his name to advance their schemes, is laughable.
"Fire Sean Miller so maybe the next guy will give us more access."
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:UNC’s defense changed how schools will defend themselves moving forward. They were willing to pursue a defense that was openly immoral: Equal access to all students for our fake classes that allow us to cheat on eligibility.

Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong, but the academic and athletic reputations of UNC have suffered zero as a result. The idea voiced by Hansen that Arizona will suffer as an institution if they don’t self-punish and fire Miller because self-interested criminals used his name to advance their schemes, is laughable.
You're absolutely right, LH: UNC has not suffered *at all* from their investigation and scandal. They're thriving, just as we'll soon be again.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:UNC’s defense changed how schools will defend themselves moving forward. They were willing to pursue a defense that was openly immoral: Equal access to all students for our fake classes that allow us to cheat on eligibility.

You're absolutely right, LH: UNC has not suffered *at all* from their investigation and scandal. They're thriving, just as we'll soon be again.
And if Dick Vitale weren't a hypocrite, he'd be dead from burst blood vessels after ceaselessly calling for Roy Williams' head and severe NCAA sanctions for the Tar Heels.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Gary Parish shouting from the top of the roof!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:Gary Parish shouting from the top of the roof!
I mean the Pac 12 schools asked him to and he must serve the greater good!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

its that entire agenda and story that that the greater good just keeps telling...and the media, one and all, almost down to the last one, cant stop spinning the tale.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Oooops. Another prized recruit chooses Arizona. Nevada transfer Jordan Brown headed to Tucson.

Despite the passionate pleas of the national media that Sean Miller deserves to be fired and Arizona's program burned to the ground, the recruits continue to line-up at McKale Center.

When will a national media pundit step back from the trees and see the forest? Does Gary Parrish know something the recruits and their families do not? I mean, if your star player son is getting recruited by Blue Bloods, wouldn't you do some serious vetting of the one program that the national media says is toxic and doomed? And yet, Mannion, Green, Armstrong, Nnaji, Brown, etc...keep on coming.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

zonagrad wrote:
Despite the passionate pleas of the national media that Sean Miller deserves to be fired and Arizona's program burned to the ground, the recruits continue to line-up at McKale Center.
Yeah but that's just because Sean Miller stands at the door to McKale handing out heavy bags of cash. While wearing an FBI wire that doesn't matter because the FBI and prosecuting attorneys and judges just want to hide all their evidence against Miller so he can keep cheating the NCAA and the IRS.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

WE WERE PROMISED BLOOD!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

and now Parish is saying coaches in the Pac 12 are imploring him not to back down, and not to give up, and not surrender the fight and message that Sean Miller cheats.

hey, if opposing coach(es) or competing program(s) are saying it, it must be true!

shout, shout, Gary!!
Last edited by 97cats on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:and now Parish is saying coaches in the Pac 12 are imploring him not to back down and not to give up and not surrender the fight and message that Sean Miller cheats.

hey, if opposing coach(es) or competing program(s) are saying it, it must be true!

shout, shout, Gary!!
Sounds like Bobby Hurley's been busy.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:and now Parish is saying coaches in the Pac 12 are imploring him not to back down and not to give up and not surrender the fight and message that Sean Miller cheats.

hey, is an opposing coach or competing program is saying it, it must be true!
Parrish must have been absent the day they taught journalistic ethics at whatever cosmetology school he dropped out of.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

THUNDERDOME! Only Thunderdome will satisfy the horde.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:

shout, shout, Gary!!
Sounds like Bobby Hurley's been busy.
You know Tad Boyle's mad that shoe companies won't pay his recruits.
prh

Post by prh »

Coach K (Utah) can get fucked
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

What a great thread. With most of the much smarter and more knowledgeable posters than me. Love it.

I have no qualms rooting for who I’ve rooted for. I will continue to do so with my fist and middle finger raised high. Think different, right Steve Jobs?

This whole saga over the past 2 years (or 4 decades depending on whom you ask) always reminds me of the absurdity of sports in general. Nobody has articulated it better than Jerry Seinfeld:

“Loyalty to any one sports team is pretty hard to justify. Because the players are always changing, the team can move to another city, you're actually rooting for the clothes when you get right down to it. You know what I mean, you are standing and cheering and yelling for your clothes to beat the clothes from another city. Fans will be so in love with a player but if he goes to another team, they boo him. This is the same human being in a different shirt, they “hate* him now. Boo! different shirt!! Boo.” —Jerry Seinfeld
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The sad part of this is Parish has already determined if Book says Miller was not involved he is only falling on his sword for Miller and that Miller is guilty. He also says that Self had a direct conversation with Adidas with Adidas apologizing for not getting Ayton to Kansas so Arizona/Miller must have paid him more. Not one word about Kansas direct involvement with Adidas and a coach on tape saying you need to get me better players. No questions about Billy Preston (clearly paid so never played), no question about the player that was suspended for a year for a handler taking money to steer him to Kansas, no word about Townsend talking to Self about what Adidas was doing.
The guy can not figure out why Book would say Miller was paying 10K per mo to Ayton on tape but deny it now. How about Book trying to present how much they may have to pay him to influence players in the future? How about he is ready to tell the entire truth now that he has been sentenced? How about he screwed a friend and is coming clean? Nope...... it will forever be portrait as Book lying to save Miller. The die has been cast......we will always have the suspicion of guilt. F### em.
In the podcast he asks the other person to ask him if he ever molested children. He says of course not. Well so did Miller when asked if he ever paid players to come to Ariz.. If Parish's friend would have said "talk to Gary about that" does that make him guilty. No.... but he concludes Sean must be guilty.
I am really concerned with Jay Bilas saying it was incredulous for Az to put out a victim impact stmt.. Does he not understand that the govt. said Az was a victim? Does he not think this has damaged the University? The only way you would say that was if you determined Sean was the mastermind and guilty.
I have said all along. Follow the money. If Sean was paying Ayton $10K a month there is a record. Look for large withdrawals of cash from Sean, his wife, father etc.. Please don't tell me you don't think the FBI already did this? Please don't tell me his phone records, bank records, flight and travel schedule were not scrutinized by 3 different groups...FBI, University Lawyers and the agency that we had review it all.
I think we have to accept that those media institution are invested in their story and the narrative wont change. All Arizona and Sean can do is outwork, out recruit, out play and win. That will be their only source of happiness and justification.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Regardless of all this shit, Arizona believes it won't get hit nearly as hard as the media believes or desperately wants to believe (for the story) and they've done an excellent job explaining as much to recruits. So the moral of the story is that Sean Miller is a bruja and he and Arizona are infinitely better selling their vision of what's to come to those that matter (i.e. the recruits and their families) than the media and Arizona's competitors are at selling their vision of demise of Arizona basketball to those who matter.

For those of you that celebrate when another Pac 12 school accomplishes something or lands a very good player or 2, knock it off. Those schools don't celebrate that for us, they solely celebrate things that could bring upon our demise.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The purpose of the victim impact statement is to address the sentencing of the person convicted. The statement submitted by Arizona's legal counsel was balanced and asked for leniency in Book's sentencing. It isn't a defense document for the University of Arizona.

Bilas has a law degree. And he can't believe that a party designated as victim in the FBI complaint issued a victim impact statement?

He's lying through his teeth to try to influence public opinion and harm the university's reputation. There's some serious ill will against Sean Miller, and a willingness to try to pressure U of A's administration into firing him at all costs to the university.

If the university were to give in and fire Miller against the advice of its own legal representation, it would risk a substantial financial loss with serious longterm damage to its basketball and other athletics programs. But even if it were to take that risk, and the basketball program were to recover one day, the media has already demonstrated that they will step in and stop at nothing to check against successful recruiting by Arizona basketball. Can anyone really wonder why the administration has decided to hold firm?

There was a time when the unspoken assumption was that Miller was a recruiting juggernaut, and that his success would lift him to a position with a traditional blue blood program, and Arizona would come back to earth. But that trajectory got delayed when Arizona couldn't break through to a Final Four, and then the Book Richardson situation presented itself. The media pounced.

Now Miller is damaged goods and has nowhere to go, but his recruiting is just as it ever was. If Arizona's fans can only understand what that means, they'll get why the media will only become more and more desperate for Miller's head, and the fans will support the administration's self-preserving decision to keep him.

Enjoy the journey, and join together in telling the media, the opposing coaches they answer to, and the uninformed public who drinks it up, that they can all go fuck themselves. 'Twas Lord Byron who said there is no sweeter taste than all men despising you for no tangible reason other than thine own uninvited success in the halls of that castle where thou didst break down the door without knocking. Basketball royalty needs to go drown in the moat.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I’m laughing so hard that Longhorned is quoting Lord Byron. That’s awesome.

It’s amazing that Arizona is now the villain school. And yet the Kentuckys, Dukes and Carolinas are portrayed in a better light. So be it. Sean Miller is Hernan Cortes in a dangerous New World. Burn the ships! Kick ass this season. I have no love for any school not named ARIZONA!
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Haven’t watched the video yet, but i take exception to the headline in the tweet.

UA portrayed itself as the victim? No. The Federal Government portrayed these universities as victims. The Press needs to fucking stop with that bullshit.

Edit: Ok, I watched the video. Shane does a pretty good job of laying things out, which makes the headline all the more egregious. But I guess you gotta get clicks, views, and shares somehow, huh?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

[b]
zonagrad wrote:I’m laughing so hard that Longhorned is quoting Lord Byron. That’s awesome.
[/b]
It’s amazing that Arizona is now the villain school. And yet the Kentuckys, Dukes and Carolinas are portrayed in a better light. So be it. Sean Miller is Hernan Cortes in a dangerous New World. Burn the ships! Kick ass this season. I have no love for any school not named ARIZONA!
A bit shorter and in more modern language: "living well is the best revenge". George Herbert
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Chicat wrote:Haven’t watched the video yet, but i take exception to the headline in the tweet.

UA portrayed itself as the victim? No. The Federal Government portrayed these universities as victims. The Press needs to fucking stop with that bullshit.

Edit: Ok, I watched the video. Shane does a pretty good job of laying things out, which makes the headline all the more egregious. But I guess you gotta get clicks, views, and shares somehow, huh?
I clicked thinking fullwell the video would earn him an Unfollow based on the title. I think he was using the otherside’s terminology against them.

It would have been nice to hear that the victim status is an official distinction made by the Federal Investigative and Judging branches of the trial. But at least we got logic and objectivity with the take.

Also, I made this same “Time Served” argument at WildcatAuthority, that if anything other than probation is handed down, I sue the NCAA for Time Served. Arizona already lost an entire recruiting class’ worth of scholarship and impact players. They had excess scholarships and even gave a walk-on one. They missed the postseason and failed the previous year to advance largely because of the cloud and gravity of the fallout.

They suffered inherent punishment, moreso than any other program.

That they have recovered isn’t a testament to non-victimhood, but to Miller’s ability to create meaningful relationships.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:Haven’t watched the video yet, but i take exception to the headline in the tweet.

Quote from the “victim statement” sent by the U of A to the judge/court in Richardson’s sentencing phase:
"Mr. Richardson’s actions caused real harm to the University of Arizona," the letter says. "His arrest was devastating news to every student, coach, administrator, faculty, staff, trustee, and alum. Occurring as it did immediately before the start of the 2017-18 basketball season, news of the criminal charges against Mr. Richardson caused enormous pain and disruption not only to the University’s men’s basketball team but across the entire campus, as well.

"Mr. Richardson’s actions have caused – and continue to cause – significant damage to the reputation of the University, it’s athletics program, and most specifically to a men’s basketball program that had previously enjoyed a stellar record of success, on and off the court. Several highly regarded student-athletes de-committed from the University upon hearing this difficult news, and the recruitment effort for future players became substantially more challenging.

"Over the past 18 months, there has been a steady stream of unflattering articles and media reports, many of which unfortunately have been false or exaggerated but which, overall, have caused harm and embarrassment to this institution as well as demoralizing a very loyal alumni and fan base in the local community and across the country. The University is also facing the prospect of potentially significant sanctions and penalties from the NCAA flowing from the unlawful actions involved in this case."
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
tricat

Post by tricat »

97cats wrote:and now Parish is saying coaches in the Pac 12 are imploring him not to back down, and not to give up, and not surrender the fight and message that Sean Miller cheats.

shout, shout, Gary!!
I guess I appreciate the transparency in openly admitting he's hammering Arizona hard and potentially (to use his own words) "connecting dots that are unfair to connect" because Sean Miller's rival coaches are encouraging him. I mean I get it, he's in a cutthroat business and has every incentive at this point to make this as bad for Arizona as he can. Scandals drive clicks. It can fill airtime in the offseason, they spent 45 minutes talking about Book and Arizona on the most recent podcast. His access to Sean and the Arizona program is already shot, so why not build relationships with other coaches in the west by trying to tear down Arizona at every opportunity? He gets on their good side and gets greater access to their programs. It's really a win-win for him at this point.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

ChooChooCat wrote:Regardless of all this shit, Arizona believes it won't get hit nearly as hard as the media believes or desperately wants to believe (for the story) and they've done an excellent job explaining as much to recruits. So the moral of the story is that Sean Miller is a bruja and he and Arizona are infinitely better selling their vision of what's to come to those that matter (i.e. the recruits and their families) than the media and Arizona's competitors are at selling their vision of demise of Arizona basketball to those who matter.

For those of you that celebrate when another Pac 12 school accomplishes something or lands a very good player or 2, knock it off. Those schools don't celebrate that for us, they solely celebrate things that could bring upon our demise.
I mean, it's going to be hard for other schools to convince the shoe company runners that they should steer kids away from Arizona because, so they claim, Arizona is cheating by....dealing with players through shoe company runners.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

legallykenny wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Regardless of all this shit, Arizona believes it won't get hit nearly as hard as the media believes or desperately wants to believe (for the story) and they've done an excellent job explaining as much to recruits. So the moral of the story is that Sean Miller is a bruja and he and Arizona are infinitely better selling their vision of what's to come to those that matter (i.e. the recruits and their families) than the media and Arizona's competitors are at selling their vision of demise of Arizona basketball to those who matter.

I mean, it's going to be hard for other schools to convince the shoe company runners that they should steer kids away from Arizona because, so they claim, Arizona is cheating by....dealing with players through shoe company runners.
Except you know that's not what the allegations against Arizona are. Sean Miller pays players directly remember?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sean Miller could buy all those lesser recruits on the other PAC-12 team rosters with just the change that falls between his sofa cushions during his naps.
Last edited by Longhorned on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
legallykenny wrote:

Except you know that's not what the allegations against Arizona are. Sean Miller pays players directly remember?
What a great guy Sean Miller is allegedly. He makes half of what Coach K makes yet he shares his money with those who are the reason he is where he is, the players.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:Sean Miller could buy all those lesser recruits on the other PAC-12 team rosters with just the change that falls between his sofa cushions during his naps.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the pile on aint gonna stop, folks

As the NCAA readies its case, Arizona should brace for the worst (just ask USC)

Jon Wilner

The NCAA hammer was officially raised this week when Stan Wilcox, the VP for regulatory affairs, told CBS Sports that six programs are expected to receive notices of allegations this summer for major rules violations stemming from the corruption scandal.

That hit list could very well feature Arizona and USC — both employed assistant coaches who pleaded guilty to federal bribery charges — but almost certainly will include at least one.

Arizona is our betting favorite.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06/13/ ... ssion=true
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Article is a bit ridiculous. In the case of USC - the player was ineligible (Bush), it was pretty obvious he was getting paid, and USC had little to no regard for NCAA rules. They got slapped down because of it. In retrospect, it is widely regarded as the NCAA's greatest overstep.

So I'd argue both that the cases aren't comparable and that using the most widely criticized punishment is likely a bad mirror to forecast Arizona's potential punishment.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Like 97 said, the media needs blood, they crave it. The pile on won't stop until it's over.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Article is a bit ridiculous. In the case of USC - the player was ineligible (Bush), it was pretty obvious he was getting paid, and USC had little to no regard for NCAA rules. They got slapped down because of it. In retrospect, it is widely regarded as the NCAA's greatest overstep.

So I'd argue both that the cases aren't comparable and that using the most widely criticized punishment is likely a bad mirror to forecast Arizona's potential punishment.
The bolded is what jumps out at me. Write an article about what is most widely regarded as the worst judgment the NCAA has ever handed down as the precedent for this situation.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

As long as the NCAA doesn't F with the upcoming season, I think most here will be relieved.

I'm actually not even sure they *can* F with the upcoming season.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

It's embarrassing to see Dick Vitale and other media members practically cheering like a pitch fork mob for Arizona to go down. If the NCAA hammers us, they sure as fuck better have some incontrovertible evidence and not the hearsay bullshit that hasn't been corroborated. And if that's the case, 99% of Arizona fans wouldn't argue. But to hit us again after basically two years of this bullshit based mostly on bad reporting is just plain wrong. I hope we have an administration that will call fight back and do so as publicly as possible.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:It's embarrassing to see Dick Vitale and other media members practically cheering like a pitch fork mob for Arizona to go down. If the NCAA hammers us, they sure as fuck better have some incontrovertible evidence and not the hearsay bullshit that hasn't been corroborated. And if that's the case, 99% of Arizona fans wouldn't argue. But to hit us again after basically two years of this bullshit based mostly on bad reporting is just plain wrong. I hope we have an administration that will call fight back and do so as publicly as possible.
I agree, zg.

And even with 97's well-informed, insightful perspective in this thread, I still find it bizarre that Vitale and others are foaming at the mouth over this. Imagine Miller getting into an elevator with Vitale or Schlabach.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

zonagrad wrote:It's embarrassing to see Dick Vitale and other media members practically cheering like a pitch fork mob for Arizona to go down. If the NCAA hammers us, they sure as fuck better have some incontrovertible evidence and not the hearsay bullshit that hasn't been corroborated. And if that's the case, 99% of Arizona fans wouldn't argue. But to hit us again after basically two years of this bullshit based mostly on bad reporting is just plain wrong. I hope we have an administration that will call fight back and do so as publicly as possible.
Yeah!!! And if the NCAA does, there's sure to be gigantic outrage throughout the media...

... or, maybe not.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:As long as the NCAA doesn't F with the upcoming season, I think most here will be relieved.

I'm actually not even sure they *can* F with the upcoming season.
You can say fuck here. It's OK.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Just go pound ass.