The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by Longhorned »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I don't know what's next, but I do remember Barcello was concerned about committing to Arizona for fear that he might not be good enough. This whole question points to why there might have been cause for that concern.
Man, that kid's confidence is non-existent.
Self-doubt generally has positives and negatives, but for athletics specifically, it's only positive if it motivates you to work harder than anybody else. Other than that, it's just the bag of rocks that weighs down your confidence.

You can't make chicken soup out of chicken shit. To maximize annoyance among friends and family, you should say that all the time, and (inexplicably) always with a gravelly voice.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Longhorned wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I don't know what's next, but I do remember Barcello was concerned about committing to Arizona for fear that he might not be good enough. This whole question points to why there might have been cause for that concern.
Man, that kid's confidence is non-existent.
Self-doubt generally has positives and negatives, but for athletics specifically, it's only positive if it motivates you to work harder than anybody else. Other than that, it's just the bag of rocks that weighs down your confidence.

You can't make chicken soup out of chicken shit. To maximize annoyance among friends and family, you should say that all the time, and (inexplicably) always with a gravelly voice.
You think I haven't been taking notes of all the great phrases and metaphors since I found this site? :lol:
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

azcat49 wrote:Maybe Barcello gives his scholarship up for one year and pays the freight as an in state student?
I don't know if you can do that. Someone who knows NCAA rules might know better, but it seems like a real open door to manipulate rosters to me.

Also, even as an in-state student, real cost of attendance is near $25,000. While his family is pretty well off on first glance, there are factors in play there that go deeper into some of his struggles. And, no...in the best of circumstances, he can't be expected to pay $25K to have a seat.
tricat

Post by tricat »

EVCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Maybe Barcello gives his scholarship up for one year and pays the freight as an in state student?
I don't know if you can do that. Someone who knows NCAA rules might know better, but it seems like a real open door to manipulate rosters to me.

Also, even as an in-state student, real cost of attendance is near $25,000. While his family is pretty well off on first glance, there are factors in play there that go deeper into some of his struggles. And, no...in the best of circumstances, he can't be expected to pay $25K to have a seat.
I don't think there's any rules for a player going off scholarship and paying their own way (Taylor Rochestie did it at Washington St. back in the Tony Bennett days to make room for a recruit). I do seem to remember there being a rule against moving a recruited athlete off of an athletic scholarship and onto an academic one.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

tricat wrote:
EVCat wrote:

I don't think there's any rules for a player going off scholarship and paying their own way (Taylor Rochestie did it at Washington St. back in the Tony Bennett days to make room for a recruit). I do seem to remember there being a rule against moving a recruited athlete off of an athletic scholarship and onto an academic one.

Josh Pastner gave up his scholie for Loren Woods if memory serves although Pastner was recruited as a walk on and was awarded a scholie when they had one left over.

You cannot go on an academic scholarship if you were ever recruited to play a sport, barring injury. Ray Smith did just that, but could never play again for Arizona.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Can we just crowdfund his tuition? I've got five on it.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Merkin wrote:
tricat wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Josh Pastner gave up his scholie for Loren Woods if memory serves although Pastner was recruited as a walk on and was awarded a scholie when they had one left over.

You cannot go on an academic scholarship if you were ever recruited to play a sport, barring injury. Ray Smith did just that, but could never play again for Arizona.
Any Football Scholarships available?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MountainCat wrote:Any Football Scholarships available?
The nice thing about scholarship rankings is that a player who plays on both teams (e.g. NateRob) goes against the football scholarships, not basketball.

That's why you occasionally see football players on basketball teams, such as Ortege Jenkins and Peter Hansen(?), who played for Tomey who let them play for Lute.

Stoops wouldn't let any football players walk on the basketball team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MountainCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
tricat wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Any Football Scholarships available?
Good idea. We should just claim Koloko is a nose tackle.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Koloko as Peter Hansen-style FG Blocker
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Do we have a rowing team? Asking for Aunt Becky....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Chicat wrote:Do we have a rowing team? Asking for Aunt Becky....

Just pictured a couple of 6'10" guys sitting in a row boat in the Rillito waiting for it to rain.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

legallykenny wrote:

Just pictured a couple of 6'10" guys sitting in a row boat in the Rillito waiting for it to rain.
:lol:

Imagine the records that could be broken during monsoon flash floods!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:
legallykenny wrote:

:lol:

Imagine the records that could be broken during monsoon flash floods!
Depends on whether they're going upstream or down.... :lol:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
StickItInTheyFace

PHXCATS wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Still waiting and wondering who is losing their scholarship to make way for Brown...
Brandon Williams could leave due to injury but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I’m hearing this more and more the past couple of days. At first I totally dismissed it but with how much I’ve seen it mentioned by different people it’s hard to ignore.

Anyone know if there’s any real weight behind this? Getting the Ray Smith pit in my stomach just thinking about it.
az91

Post by az91 »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Still waiting and wondering who is losing their scholarship to make way for Brown...
Brandon Williams could leave due to injury but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I’m hearing this more and more the past couple of days. At first I totally dismissed it but with how much I’ve seen it mentioned by different people it’s hard to ignore.

Anyone know if there’s any real weight behind this? Getting the Ray Smith pit in my stomach just thinking about it.
So would this be a case of Williams being so injured that he could no longer play collegiately and would leave school or go on an academic scholarship?
StickItInTheyFace

az91 wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

So would this be a case of Williams being so injured that he could no longer play collegiately and would leave school or go on an academic scholarship?
That’s what I’ve heard people say. Like I said before, I have no clue if this is even remotely true. Just been hearing it a few times. I don’t want to help spread dumb rumors, just hoping someone will shut it down so I can feel good about BWill.
TJATUA

Post by TJATUA »

Koloko is on campus, so the thinking that he was being purged from the recruiting class is done.

It only leaves one viable option and that’s B-Will, unless Dylan Smith has a change of heart and wants to leave.
prh

Post by prh »

This B-Will thing seems like something one person said, and everyone else has run with it. Like a lot of the FBI stuff
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I haven’t heard/read a single credible word about B-Will possibly leaving. If Choo and/or 97 aren’t saying it, I doubt there’s anything to the rumor.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'm in the dark on this one, but from the way others who know more than me are treating this it certainly appears to have legs.

Edit: The fact he edited his Twitter profile which used to say "University of Arizona guard" probably ain't a good sign.
TJATUA

Post by TJATUA »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'm in the dark on this one, but from the way others who know more than me are treating this it certainly appears to have legs.

Edit: The fact he edited his Twitter profile which used to say "University of Arizona guard" probably ain't a good sign.
Same with his Instagram account.

He gone.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:I'm in the dark on this one, but from the way others who know more than me are treating this it certainly appears to have legs.

This wouldn’t be a transfer right? This would have to be a medical retirement I would think. That would phase me to no end if he was transferring.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

PlayersProgramU is reporting that Brandon Williams will not be on the team this year....
prh

Post by prh »

A1RZONA wrote:PlayersProgramU is reporting that Brandon Williams will not be on the team this year....
Before or after Choo’s post? Lol we’ve through this before
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If true, we can pump the brakes on expectations for next season. Terrible news.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Mannion, Hazzard, Green, Nnaji, and Jeter would be my lineup if true. Knowing Miller though I'm sure he'll find a way for Dylan Smith to start at all 5 positions.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

This tweet makes it sound like he is transferring
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hate it that two guys who stuck with us during very difficult times have left. Wish them nothing but the very best. College basketball is big business
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

84Cat wrote:This tweet makes it sound like he is transferring
I'm confident they have no idea, they're literally using the same evidence I was to come to a conclusion.
az91

Post by az91 »

This is accelerating quickly. Maybe it has been in the works for a while?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I'm confident they have no idea, they're literally using the same evidence I was to come to a conclusion.

If they are wrong then oh man, that’s an ESPIN level mistake
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

az91 wrote:This is accelerating quickly. Maybe it has been in the works for a while?
Your accelerating quickly.

(It felt so right to misspell 'you're' their. I mean they're. I mean hair.)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azcat49 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Wait, isn't that ... you know. The convict.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Wait, isn't that ... you know. The convict.

No he died. Nudge nudge wink wink. Know what I mean?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

It’s trash of them to tag Williams - he hasn’t said shit about it and now he’ll get pinged on every reply asking “wtf??”
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Why do we have to live with this crap? Does Oregon State and Colorado have some dead nutjob making their program's and fans' life hell?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

There are very few entities that cover Arizona sports that I trust implicitly and without verification.

That twitter feed ain’t one of them...
prh

Post by prh »

They probably just took Choo’s comment and then tweeted to be first. It’s PGU reincarnated. Total trash
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

azcat49 wrote:
Well on the surface they really didn't report anything. So not really.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

SunnyAZ wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
Well on the surface they really didn't report anything. So not really.
And that's exactly what they'll say if/when it turns out to be false. They'll argue that they wished him well this offseason as he recovers from the nagging injuries that dogged him for much of the season.

Of course, if Williams announces he's done at Arizona, they'll claim they had the news first. That's how they roll. It's called dealing from both sides of the deck.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Zeke is one of 18 finalists for the USA U19 team.
Final team will be 12 players. Good recognition of Zeke to make it this far, here's hoping he makes the final cut.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Eric Bossi comments on Nnaji standing out for his strength, which is great to hear considering Nnaji has looked thin for his height as a high school player. Nnaji listed at 6'11" / 228lbs by USA BBall - if that's true he's a little bigger than Jeter and a little smaller than Dusan was - could easily play center.
Miller there watching Nnaji and 2020 target Ziaire Williams.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

No more Armstrong....
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:No more Armstrong....
Terrence Ferguson...
Guess that takes care of it, schollie count

1. Max Hazzard (Sr)
2. Stone Gettings (Sr)
3. Chase Jeter (Sr)
4. Dylan Smith (Sr)
5. Ira Lee (Jr)
6. Alex Barcello (Jr)
7. Jemarl Baker (So)
8. Jordan Brown (So)
9. Brandon Williams (So)
10. Nico Mannion (Fr)
11. Josh Green (Fr)
12. Zeke Nnaji (Fr)
13. Christian Koloko (Fr)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:No more Armstrong....
Terrence Ferguson...
Guess that takes care of it, schollie count

1. Max Hazzard (Sr)
2. Stone Gettings (Sr)
3. Chase Jeter (Sr)
4. Dylan Smith (Sr)
5. Ira Lee (Jr)
6. Alex Barcello (Jr)
7. Jemarl Baker (So)
8. Jordan Brown (So)
9. Brandon Williams (So)
10. Nico Mannion (Fr)
11. Josh Green (Fr)
12. Zeke Nnaji (Fr)
13. Christian Koloko (Fr)
Wow. Good luck, I guess.

If BWill is still here...well, I liked Armstrong but wasn't all that attached yet.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

opens up minutes for Dylan Smith. Let's go!

wait no
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Sigh, buckle up boys.
StickItInTheyFace

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Wow. Good luck, I guess.

If BWill is still here...well, I liked Armstrong but wasn't all that attached yet.
Yeah, I never have a problem with a player leaving early, transferring, going overseas to secure some money, etc. This one just hurts more because of the Bwill concerns. Terry seemed pretty important to this year if BWill isn't healthy and really important to future years.