The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by dovecanyoncat »

But..................I want nice things.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Certainly wouldn't get your hopes up for this season.
I really hope there's some way he can sit out this year, either have surgery or rehab the knee as best as possible, and then have him come back in 2020-2021. I know it's probably not realistic but a man can dream.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

I think everyone is perfectly fine with him missing this season if there is something that can be worked on or corrected that will allow him to play basketball in the future safely. At this point in the offseason, I feel like we should just keep him on the roster and see. If there's no way to get him right to play in the future, then so be it. I fucking hate injuries.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
I think everyone is perfectly fine with him missing this season if there is something that can be worked on or corrected that will allow him to play basketball in the future safely. At this point in the offseason, I feel like we should just keep him on the roster and see. If there's no way to get him right to play in the future, then so be it. I fucking hate injuries.
I'd love to see him magically get well for this year. If that can't happen, I'd just like to see him not lose his career. Sit a year, whatever. Giving a kid a shot at playing the game he loves to play (and is pretty damn good at) is the biggest thing.
StickItInTheyFace

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:
I'd love to see him magically get well for this year. If that can't happen, I'd just like to see him not lose his career. Sit a year, whatever. Giving a kid a shot at playing the game he loves to play (and is pretty damn good at) is the biggest thing.
Exactly.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ultimately I'm not sure what they decide on long term, but this year he's for sure out. We should know more the closer it gets to the start of the season.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Red Blue ticket process was interesting. It put you in a waiting room and kept your place in line. It let me in at 10:03 and when I said 10 tickets it tried to put me in row 28 ha. Wound up getting 3 tix row 21, 2 tickets row 18, and 2 tix row 14. At 10:15 I tried again and got 2 tickets row 1 haha
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Williams out for the year
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Terrible news. Feel awful for BW. Definitely doesn’t sound like he’s a guarantee to fully recover either. Just terrible.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Shitty. Roster set then?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Dylan Smith is the lone returnee with prior PG experience? That will give you nightmares.

Oh wait, Jacob Hazzard's shorter little brother is also on the roster, phew!

Hopefully Nico is ready to play 40+ minutes on average at the point. The only other player I would ever want to see take the ball up is, maybe, Devonaire.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:Dylan Smith is the lone returnee with prior PG experience? That will give you nightmares.

Hopefully Nico is ready to play 40+ minutes on average at the point. The only other player I would ever want to see take the ball up is, maybe, Devonaire.
Dylan Smith has zero PG experience whether it be at Arizona or his junior high school.

Either way if Williams isn't done playing basketball for the rest of his life it'll be a shocker. Maybe he gets lucky though, fingers crossed for the kid.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:Dylan Smith is the lone returnee with prior PG experience? That will give you nightmares.

Dylan Smith has zero PG experience whether it be at Arizona or his junior high school.

Either way if Williams isn't done playing basketball for the rest of his life it'll be a shocker. Maybe he gets lucky though, fingers crossed for the kid.
Hopefully this surgery is successful and he recovers. Terrible news for the kid. It sucks a lot for us, but I feel much worse for BWill.

We need Hazzard to be ok at this level now. DD, Smith and Green is still good on the wing, but this is a huge blow for next year.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I was going off Ryan Kalaperie's article:

"Dylan Smith played some point guard in his lone season at UNC Asheville in 2015-16, but he finished with more turnovers than assists."

My mistake in assuming things reported were vetted. I also never watched his middle school games, luckily. To be honest if you told me he never played basketball prior to Arizona I would have believe you.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Can't wait 'til this team goes to the final 4 on the shoulders of one Dylan Smith.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I wonder if Barcello is kicking himself? Not the first transfer to have regrets. Look how long it took Doutrive to return.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Speaking of BWill's surgery hopes, my chiro in SA had a somewhat similar issue: one of his hip bones lost blood flow and the bone died. Osteocronosis. He had some success with stem cell therapy but ultimately had hip replacement.

Good luck young man.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Glad I was eased into this news (thanks Choo).
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:I wonder if Barcello is kicking himself? Not the first transfer to have regrets. Look how long it took Doutrive to return.

Did he sign an LOI with BYU yet?

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

YoDeFoe wrote:Glad I was eased into this news (thanks Choo).

Same here, nice work Choo!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Glad I was eased into this news (thanks Choo).

Same here, nice work Choo!

Agree! Choo is like premium for free.
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:I wonder if Barcello is kicking himself? Not the first transfer to have regrets. Look how long it took Doutrive to return.

Did he sign an LOI with BYU yet?

I've never heard of an Italian Mormon. What will they invent next? A broth popsicle? How about a toilet with a garbage disposal? That'll flush 'em down.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Akot can play some Point......oh wait..
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

And when we play then he’ll go Jimmmer on us.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He still wouldn't have played all that much at Arizona and he and his circle very much knew Williams's situation. The guy (or really his circle) wanted more playing time (a lot more) and that was never going to come at Arizona.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Cornell ran a lot of it's offence through Stone Gettings (per https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... epth-chart" target="_blank) at the high post so. . . not a true PG (or a Luke Walton) but not nothing.

Hopefully Nico has an inner Mighty Mouse he can channel.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:Cornell ran a lot of it's offence through Stone Gettings (per https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... epth-chart" target="_blank) at the high post so. . . not a true PG (or a Luke Walton) but not nothing.

Hopefully Nico has an inner Mighty Mouse he can channel.
I don't think distribution will be the issue. We have a lot of unselfish guys on the roster next year. We need a reliable ballhandler so we don't get killed with ball pressure when Nico's out.

If I was a lesser team facing Arizona, I'd consider pressing if I had a solid 8-9 man rotation. Try to wear Nico down and get other people handling the ball. Some of our guys are not cut out for that.
az91

Post by az91 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
He still wouldn't have played all that much at Arizona and he and his circle very much knew Williams's situation. The guy (or really his circle) wanted more playing time (a lot more) and that was never going to come at Arizona.
I must give props to you, Choo. You told us all this stuff on Williams long before the news broke.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Brandon will be heavily missed. He has skill, experience, and I really thought he was our glue guy.
Without him this year, who will slide in to take that 5th starting spot?

Nico
Josh
????
Zeke
Chase

MH- small, good shooter (at lower level)
DD- rebounding, playmaking, turnovers, great in transition
DS- streaky shooter, turnover machine, can’t hit a layup, defends well
SG- passing, size

We clearly have options (none as good as Williams), but the question is: which one is best? Or do we change it up depending on our opponent? Or do we go with whoever has the “hot hand” at practice/games?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:Brandon will be heavily missed. He has skill, experience, and I really thought he was our glue guy.

Nico
Josh
????
Zeke
Chase

SG- passing, size

We clearly have options (none as good as Williams), but the question is: which one is best? Or do we change it up depending on our opponent? Or do we go with whoever has the “hot hand” at practice/games?

What about Ira Lee?

Baker and Brown both have to sit, correct?
-JB
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Probably start with:

Nico
Max
Josh
Ira / Stone
Chase

Based on early practice feedback Zeke projects to take the starting PF spot at some point. Maybe DD or Dylan emerge as better starting options over Max but I wouldn't count on it. Would be nice if one of Stone or Ira could take SF reps bc I trust them more than Dylan and DD.

Koloko plays mop minutes. Baker and Brown sit for their transfer penalty.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

UAEebs86 wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:Brandon will be heavily missed. He has skill, experience, and I really thought he was our glue guy.

Nico
Josh
????
Zeke
Chase

SG- passing, size

What about Ira Lee?

Baker and Brown both have to sit, correct?
I love Ira. However his energy off the bench is amazing. I want him coming in off the bench and getting about 20-25 minutes a game. I’ve heard really good things about his off-season work as well.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Probably start with:

Nico
Max
Josh
Ira / Stone
Chase

Based on early practice feedback Zeke projects to take the starting PF spot at some point. Maybe DD or Dylan emerge as better starting options over Max but I wouldn't count on it. Would be nice if one of Stone or Ira could take SF reps bc I trust them more than Dylan and DD.

Nico, Josh, Zeke, and Chase are locked in starters. The only position up for debate is the other wing spot.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Nico
Max
Josh
Ira / Stone
Chase

Nico, Josh, Zeke, and Chase are locked in starters. The only position up for debate is the other wing spot.
That's pretty incredible. Says a lot about Zeke that he's beaten out quality upperclassmen already. It also says a lot about Miller's willingness to use the best talent he has rather than deferring to seniority (as many have complained he's done in the past).

Choo would you expect Hazz to take it or is it really a three way fight among him, Smith, and DD?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I know this is a crazy thought...but I'm gonna go out on a limb right NOW...

UA at minimum makes a FF this season...goes on to win the whole thing...

Why not?

It's not like Zion Tubbo Lard has a brother that EatSHitPN is pushing 24/7...

At some point you just roll the dice and bet the damn house...like my dad used to say "If you're not in bed by 10 PM just come on home..."

Time to believe in spite of all the non-odds against us.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m from the day he’s signed I’m most excited to see zeke play.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Nico
Max
Josh
Ira / Stone
Chase

That's pretty incredible. Says a lot about Zeke that he's beaten out quality upperclassmen already. It also says a lot about Miller's willingness to use the best talent he has rather than deferring to seniority (as many have complained he's done in the past).

Choo would you expect Hazz to take it or is it really a three way fight among him, Smith, and DD?
It's still to be determined, there's even a slight and I stress slight possibility Baker could obtain immediate eligibility and compete for that spot too. At this moment gun to my head I'd say Hazzard gets the first crack at it and if he's not up to snuff defensively I'd go Smith.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Nico
Max
Josh
Ira / Stone
Chase

I'd think Smith starts. Miller likes experience and D. I'd figure he defaults to that unless someone else emerges. From there, my thought is Hazzard is our first/only guard off the bench and DD is our first/only wing off the bench.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

not to be a smart ass SS, but those are the ONLY options :) off the bench. Baker would be huge insurance for both spots though

Over/Under on # of games Nico plays 40+ minutes
StickItInTheyFace

ChooChooCat wrote: Nico, Josh, Zeke, and Chase are locked in starters. The only position up for debate is the other wing spot.
Has Hazzard looked the part so far in practice? Obviously a downgrade from Williams, but I just feel like with with our front court, spacing is exactly what this team needs.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote: It's still to be determined, there's even a slight and I stress slight possibility Baker could obtain immediate eligibility and compete for that spot too. At this moment gun to my head I'd say Hazzard gets the first crack at it and if he's not up to snuff defensively I'd go Smith.
I'm hesitant to say the words (lest I get attached) but Baker's immediate eligibility would be a real godsend given his ability to play some point guard.

Back to reality: If Smith can hit his shots I don't mind him out there starting as a complimentary offensive option and a switchable wing defender. I figure the real decision on who starts will wait until these guys play a few games, as Smith has struggled in the past to match his on-court production to what he's shown in practice. A back-up unit of Hazz, Lee, Gettings is a reliable unit with two capable initiators and then there's DD as a wildcard with upside.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I'd think Smith starts. Miller likes experience and D. I'd figure he defaults to that unless someone else emerges. From there, my thought is Hazzard is our first/only guard off the bench and DD is our first/only wing off the bench.
Another point that just came to mind: We really can't expect Nico to be an offensive force and defend the other team's best guard for 35 min a game. Smith's length and experience in the system would certainly put him ahead of the 5'10" Hazzard in that consideration.

Nico needs his energy and his fouls like we need our breath - giving him a defensive focused backcourt mate is the play. Smith can run his ass off on D and then stand in the corner for catch and shoots on the offensive end.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: I'd think Smith starts. Miller likes experience and D. I'd figure he defaults to that unless someone else emerges. From there, my thought is Hazzard is our first/only guard off the bench and DD is our first/only wing off the bench.
Another point that just came to mind: We really can't expect Nico to be an offensive force and defend the other team's best guard for 35 min a game. Smith's length and experience in the system would certainly put him ahead of the 5'10" Hazzard in that consideration.

Nico needs his energy and his fouls like we need our breath - giving him a defensive focused backcourt mate is the play. Smith can run his ass off on D and then stand in the corner for catch and shoots on the offensive end.
The upside of Smith and Green alongside Nico is Nico only has to be the third best defender in the bunch. Nico doesn't have to be a TJ type leader on D, although it wouldn't hurt.

And yes, I fully support telling Smith that his job is to bust ass on D, then ONLY shoot catch and shoot J's on offense. Maybe a putback layup if passing the ball back out isn't an option.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

baycat93 wrote:not to be a smart ass SS, but those are the ONLY options :) off the bench. Baker would be huge insurance for both spots though

I see it like this. We have a solid 9 man rotation, but DD, Smith and Hazzard have to contribute. No maybes, because we have 5 perimeter players and 4 big guys.

Losing BWill removes a really talented guy and means our perimeter rotation is full of guys who have to step up to the challenge.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
baycat93 wrote:not to be a smart ass SS, but those are the ONLY options :) off the bench. Baker would be huge insurance for both spots though

I see it like this. We have a solid 9 man rotation, but DD, Smith and Hazzard have to contribute. No maybes, because we have 5 perimeter players and 4 big guys.

Losing BWill removes a really talented guy and means our perimeter rotation is full of guys who have to step up to the challenge.
I totally agree SS. If this team is going to get to the second weekend and beyond, all 3 of those guys is going to have to perform above expectations.

Also agree in finding ways to keep Nico as fresh as possible and on the court. Smith might be the right pairing. In a perfect world, DD somehow figured out how to be an elite defender. Not holding my breath.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

baycat93 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I totally agree SS. If this team is going to get to the second weekend and beyond, all 3 of those guys is going to have to perform above expectations.

Also agree in finding ways to keep Nico as fresh as possible and on the court. Smith might be the right pairing. In a perfect world, DD somehow figured out how to be an elite defender. Not holding my breath.
Hopefully DD has improved as a defender. If he's solid on D, he'll be a bench asset. I think his nose for the ball could work really well alongside Nico, but I can't see him getting a ton of minutes until his D is where it needs to be.

I think we know what we'll get from Hazzard and Smith. Hopefully they both benefit from being able to be more of just shooters when they're alongside Nico.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

The upside of Smith and Green alongside Nico is Nico only has to be the third best defender in the bunch. Nico doesn't have to be a TJ type leader on D, although it wouldn't hurt.

And yes, I fully support telling Smith that his job is to bust ass on D, then ONLY shoot catch and shoot J's on offense. Maybe a putback layup if passing the ball back out isn't an option.
Diving deeper: with a Nico, Max, Josh grouping... if the opposing team's best offensive player is a two guard, are we really going to "hide" Nico on a SF? Defending up two positions isn't exactly a respite on the defensive end.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

Diving deeper: with a Nico, Max, Josh grouping... if the opposing team's best offensive player is a two guard, are we really going to "hide" Nico on a SF? Defending up two positions isn't exactly a respite on the defensive end.
Depends. If the SF is a perimeter guy who doesn't hit the offensive glass, why not?

Most teams don't run offenses that center on posting up your SF. If an opponent wants to disrupt their own system to try to exploit a matchup for a SF who isn't comfortable posting, let them do it.

If it's a SF who has a legit chance to exploit it, then no, don't run Nico ragged.

Sometimes teams get so focused on trying to exploit a matchup they derail their own offensive flow. Let them do it in those situations.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

At this point do we know who our most valuable player will be? Its a toss up between the 3 freshman and could be all season. Nice problem to have for our scouting report. Oh and dont forget about our 6'10" Senior who can ball
ChooChooCat wrote:It's still to be determined, there's even a slight and I stress slight possibility Baker could obtain immediate eligibility and compete for that spot too
Woh. Played 24 games last year. I wonder what the argument could possibly be