The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by YoDeFoe »

I mean... Remy Martin. Really. He put up a 13 / 5 / 3 stats line last season on 40 / 31 / 74 splits. He is not that dude.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I just think Katz dislikes Miller and isn't going to generate any sort of positive attention for our program.

We have to win games, period. Winning will compel these haters to give us our due, and it will be glorious.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Beachcat97 wrote:I just think Katz dislikes Miller and isn't going to generate any sort of positive attention for our program.

We have to win games, period. Winning will compel these haters to give us our due, and it will be glorious.
I will never understand why sports writers seem to hate Miller...

It's not like he's out there bashing them, the only time he gives them grief seems to be in pressers where they ask dumbshit questions over and over, NO COACH is obligated to respond to stupid lame ass journo-wanna-be's...

But here we have Schlabach/Bilas/Katz/Forde/O'Neil/Dakich/Greenberg/Seth Davis/Parrish/etc/etc/etc ALL making some negative comments about Mille at some time...even the color commentators I've heard say things like "Sean Miller, whats a guy gotta do to get fired there?"

I do not know of another coach that gets more constant negative coverage than Sean Miller...name one.

Not even inactive bad coaches get the bad press he garers, and its not like he's blatantly antagonistic to them...there does not seem to be a policy of "no press" from him...

"He touched the ball"...seriously????

WTF is wrong with these guys?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Can’t wait to make everyone eat their dumbshit opinions.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No kidding. The football coach at Okie St, Gundy, literally yells and calls out reporters every week. He just did it this past week I think. No one calls for his head. It's like they have to fall in line and back their reporting colleagues as if one iss wrong, they all are wrong, so let's get him fired
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I just think Katz dislikes Miller and isn't going to generate any sort of positive attention for our program.

It's not like he's out there bashing them, the only time he gives them grief seems to be in pressers where they ask dumbshit questions over and over, NO COACH is obligated to respond to stupid lame ass journo-wanna-be's...

But here we have Schlabach/Bilas/Katz/Forde/O'Neil/Dakich/Greenberg/Seth Davis/Parrish/etc/etc/etc ALL making some negative comments about Mille at some time...even the color commentators I've heard say things like "Sean Miller, whats a guy gotta do to get fired there?"
Sam Vecenie and Mark Titus talked about this on the One Shining Pod episode covering the Kansas NOA.

Bill Self is a good ol' boy charmer who goes out and gets beers with his colleagues and media members. He, like many other coaches, is a glad-hander and is regarded as being above the fray (and thus, is allowed to stay above the fray by the media).

Sean Miller is a tough son of a bitch who can hardly generate a false smile without also offering dagger eyes that could wilt a flower. He's seen as someone who is in the fray - a trench fighter, a jungle commando. That's someone you can go after.

It doesn't help that Miller has ascended so quickly - going from a roadside Xavier program to the main stage at Arizona, immediately snatching five star recruits and stomping, not stepping, on other people's toes to get there. So what happens when those good ol' boy coaches (who lost their prized target to Miller) get to glad-handing the media and Miller comes up? It's probably not admiration and appreciation.

Miller's relative "newness" and his lack of in-roads among media members mean that his narrative is easier to mold. In 2016 he was the next young coach in line for a title. In 2018 he was the face of the FBI scandal. Media members aren't giving up access when they forecast Miller's demise - they weren't afforded the access in the first place. They're not messing with a friendship or besmirching a legend either.

He's an easy target. Arizona is an easy target. And there's plenty of movers and shakers that Miller has pissed off along the way who would be more than glad to see him knocked down a peg.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

From that description, he’s a young Coach K. If/when he gets a couple of nattys under his belt, watch the media start sucking up to him hardcore.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

CatFanOneMil wrote:

I do not know of another coach that gets more constant negative coverage than Sean Miller...name one.

Can you blame them?
Millers made these guys look like fools every time they jump on the bandwagon preseason or when brackets come out.. What is it now a decade of top 5 classes and underachieving every damn time

Fool me 9 times...
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

YoDeFoe wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:

Sam Vecenie and Mark Titus talked about this on the One Shining Pod episode covering the Kansas NOA.

Bill Self is a good ol' boy charmer who goes out and gets beers with his colleagues and media members. He, like many other coaches, is a glad-hander and is regarded as being above the fray (and thus, is allowed to stay above the fray by the media).

Sean Miller is a tough son of a bitch who can hardly generate a false smile without also offering dagger eyes that could wilt a flower. He's seen as someone who is in the fray - a trench fighter, a jungle commando. That's someone you can go after.

It doesn't help that Miller has ascended so quickly - going from a roadside Xavier program to the main stage at Arizona, immediately snatching five star recruits and stomping, not stepping, on other people's toes to get there. So what happens when those good ol' boy coaches (who lost their prized target to Miller) get to glad-handing the media and Miller comes up? It's probably not admiration and appreciation.

Miller's relative "newness" and his lack of in-roads among media members mean that his narrative is easier to mold. In 2016 he was the next young coach in line for a title. In 2018 he was the face of the FBI scandal. Media members aren't giving up access when they forecast Miller's demise - they weren't afforded the access in the first place. They're not messing with a friendship or besmirching a legend either.

He's an easy target. Arizona is an easy target. And there's plenty of movers and shakers that Miller has pissed off along the way who would be more than glad to see him knocked down a peg.
nailed it.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And several of those coaches (I see you Bill Self) while having a beer with their media suck ups, likes to tell stories about how the cheating Miller and AZ beat them out for player X and Y. Those brainless scribes buy it hook, line and sinker and here we are
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:

Not even inactive bad coaches get the bad press he garers, and its not like he's blatantly antagonistic to them...there does not seem to be a policy of "no press" from him...

"He touched the ball"...seriously????

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:From that description, he’s a young Coach K. If/when he gets a couple of nattys under his belt, watch the media start sucking up to him hardcore.
It's certainly fair to wonder how Miller would be treated in the media if he had made a final four or two at this point.
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

RiseAndFire wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:

Can you blame them?
Millers made these guys look like fools every time they jump on the bandwagon preseason or when brackets come out.. What is it now a decade of top 5 classes and underachieving every damn time

Fool me 9 times...
oh, just be quiet.

Yeah, we've had no tourney success or good seasons whatsoever and we're definitely the only team that's ever been knocked out early. And Miller definitely should have made the FF last year considering all the recruiting help he had from the national media :roll:

You're probably one of the guys who's jumped on the Fire Miller bandwagon too prematurely and now have sour grapes cause he's still here. Fans like you are just as bad as some of these "journalists". Way to support your coach.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RiseAndFire wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:

Can you blame them?

Fool me 9 times...
This is a seriously dumb take, even when compared to all of your other dumb takes. Like, I’m wondering if there might be high levels of lead in your drinking water.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I’ve just been working on the assumption that the Russian troll farm has taken a strange, inexplicable interest in Arizona basketball.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... rado-team/" target="_blank

Another set of predictions. I just can't see us finishing 4th.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... rado-team/

First of all Josh Green is receiving little respect. And Zeke isn't even mentioned. The truth is these predictions mean nothing. The season will do the talking. I am really looking forward to this season because I think the Cats are going to surprise many "experts". I believe there is so much bias against Arizona and the sports media wants them to fail.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... rado-team/

Colorado has never won the Pac-12. Colorado never won the Big XII. They haven't won any kind of conference in 50 years. I'm not saying past is prologue but this is not Colorado's dream-come-true year. McKinley Wright is good, not great. Tyler Bey is good, not great. Tad Boyle is not great.

Washington has a tough ask - they've got a lot of turnover with three or four freshman starters and a a PG they need to work in mid-season. Hopkins hangs his hat on defense and I don't think he's got the experience or continuity here to get this team to its highest potential. It's possible, but I'll take "hot and cold" over the consistent success needed to win the conference.

Oregon is the most likely of the four to me. We've discussed why but I'll offer this: their ceiling may hinge on Payton Pritchard's ability to find his outside shot. Pritchard has to shoot more like his sophomore season (>40%) than his junior outing (<35%).

I see a more complete roster with Arizona. Better complimentary pieces, a few guys who can shoot and play D, a stud PG who can create his own, depth and length and versatility inside. I like this squad to take the conference.
blaw01

Post by blaw01 »

Single game tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10AM. Is there a promo code to buy ahead of that?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

My biggest wish for the season: no injuries. Like, I even feel bad speaking of it. I just know that one injury can be the difference between the promised land and an early tourney exit (ex: Ashley in '14).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:My biggest wish for the season: no injuries. Like, I even feel bad speaking of it. I just know that one injury can be the difference between the promised land and an early tourney exit (ex: Ashley in '14).
It's particularly important years like this where we have talent, but a couple of guys we can't lose.

Nico, Green, Jeter...we need those guys. I would say that's a constant, though. Injuries are always devastating in CBB. If you lose a key player...very few programs don't take a major hit.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:My biggest wish for the season: no injuries. Like, I even feel bad speaking of it. I just know that one injury can be the difference between the promised land and an early tourney exit (ex: Ashley in '14).
It's particularly important years like this where we have talent, but a couple of guys we can't lose.

Nico, Green, Jeter...we need those guys. I would say that's a constant, though. Injuries are always devastating in CBB. If you lose a key player...very few programs don't take a major hit.
Yeah but how many programs take a major hit all the fucking time to the point where it's a ridiculous challenge for team development? I suppose we got lucky when Trier was out due to the bizarre substance situation instead of an injury, so we can continue to thank the basketball gods for that good fortune that destroyed our season for a different reason.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah but how many programs take a major hit all the fucking time to the point where it's a ridiculous challenge for team development? I suppose we got lucky when Trier was out due to the bizarre substance situation instead of an injury, so we can continue to thank the basketball gods for that good fortune that destroyed our season for a different reason.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing we've had terrible luck. We have, and that's a huge reason people don't believe Sean Miller is one of the greatest coaches in CBB.

I fully believe if Ashley doesn't break his foot, Miller has a NC and undefeated season under his belt. We have really awful luck.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Oh, I'm not disagreeing we've had terrible luck. We have, and that's a huge reason people don't believe Sean Miller is one of the greatest coaches in CBB.

I fully believe if Ashley doesn't break his foot, Miller has a NC and undefeated season under his belt. We have really awful luck.
Every time I see someone mention this. I physically get the same feeling in my stomach that I did watching that Cal game.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I mean, coaches build rosters to withstand injuries, right? At least, as much as possible. I think our depth is decent this year, but yeah, if one of our key guys were to miss extended time, it greatly impacts our season, especially if it happens past December.

Let's hope for better luck this year, that we can roll into March fully healthy playing our best ball. Feels like it's been a while since we did that.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Not only if Ashley doesn’t get hurt, but even if he does get hurt, if Grant Jerret had stuck around I think we still had a good shot at title.

I believe the redshirt rule used to allow for playing a few games before deciding, back in 1990s.

Probably little point in redshirting guys when the all leave before they run out of eligibility.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Postmaster wrote:Not only if Ashley doesn’t get hurt, but even if he does get hurt, if Grant Jerret had stuck around I think we still had a good shot at title.

I believe the redshirt rule used to allow for playing a few games before deciding, back in 1990s.

Probably little point in redshirting guys when the all leave before they run out of eligibility.
The medical waiver rules should apply for red shirt decisions: Play nine games or less at the start of the season? You don't burn a year of eligibility.

Personally I'd like to see that for any point in the season, however, so that a dude could attempt a late season comeback from a pre-season injury without worrying about burning a year of eligibility. No one specific comes to mind, of course...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

There's going to be no food in McKale Center this coming season? So weird. I hope they let us bring food in, then. My wife and I don't have enough of a time window to go out to dinner before games.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Wait, what? You mean they're dumping all the food vendors?

That makes no sense. Is there a reason why?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

AZCatGirl wrote:Wait, what? You mean they're dumping all the food vendors?

That makes no sense. Is there a reason why?
I don't know. But somebody credible (though not infallible I hope) told me food was over with. It sure isn't at Arizona Stadium. And yet when I do a Google search, I can find no reference to any food vendors at McKale.

Also, on Amtrak they're getting rid of the dining cars. Is the world being taken over by haters of eating? I'm eater. I stand to lose!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The food vendors last year were all brand new
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:The food vendors last year were all brand new
Which were they? I had to miss all the games thanks to a 2 year old. If I have some vendor names maybe I can find meaningful search results and confirm or deny. I'm really nervous about this.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I totally understand food motivated people. {tips cap}
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote:Not only if Ashley doesn’t get hurt, but even if he does get hurt, if Grant Jerret had stuck around I think we still had a good shot at title.

I believe the rule for a traditional redshirt was only for exhibition games. Now only first year players can play in them and still retain their redshirt.

Medical hardship waivers have changed a little bit, now you can play in 30% of the games instead of 20%, but they still have to be in the first half of the season, and the injury must be season ending.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Preseason media poll is out...motivation.

TEAM (first-place votes) – POINTS
1. Oregon (9) – 291
2. Colorado (9) – 288
3. Washington (6) – 273
4. Arizona (2) – 263
5. USC (1) – 198
6. Arizona State – 187
7. Oregon State – 161
8. UCLA – 148
9. Utah – 131
10. Stanford – 84
11. Washington State – 47
12. California -35
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

DrWildcat wrote:Preseason media poll is out...motivation.

TEAM (first-place votes) – POINTS
1. Oregon (9) – 291
2. Colorado (9) – 288
3. Washington (6) – 273
4. Arizona (2) – 263
5. USC (1) – 198
6. Arizona State – 187
7. Oregon State – 161
8. UCLA – 148
9. Utah – 131
10. Stanford – 84
11. Washington State – 47
12. California -35
Yeah...that's cute.

Probably the least accurate prognostication since no preseason polls had 1987-88 Arizona higher than 17th nationally.

The dropout of respect for the Pac-12's signature basketball program among its beat writers is as irrevocable as it is inexplicable.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hopefully G it just adds another chip on our shoulder
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UCLA at 8th is wild.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chicat wrote:UCLA at 8th is wild.
What player on UCLA would start for Arizona, Oregon, or Washington?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

If you put a gun to their head or made them bet their own money those writers wouldn’t pick Arizona lower than 2nd. It’s going to be funny when they start writing articles about how Arizona is the surprise of the PAC this season. They’re all part of the echo chamber that ESPN has orchestrated the last three years.

This season is gonna play out like the climatic scene in The Godfather where Sean Miller settles all family business. Is it wrong to envision Dick Vitale laying on a massage table like Mo Green?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
I’m not saying it’s wild because they are underrated. I’m talking about how far they’ve fallen.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Why? I couldn't even tell you their best player. Do they have a "best player"?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
I’m not saying it’s wild because they are underrated. I’m talking about how far they’ve fallen.
Sorry, didn't see your follow up, Chi.

Agreed: they're pretty down at the moment. Cronin's got three years to get caught up.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

zonagrad wrote:If you put a gun to their head or made them bet their own money those writers wouldn’t pick Arizona lower than 2nd. It’s going to be funny when they start writing articles about how Arizona is the surprise of the PAC this season. They’re all part of the echo chamber that ESPN has orchestrated the last three years.

This season is gonna play out like the climatic scene in The Godfather where Sean Miller settles all family business. Is it wrong to envision Dick Vitale laying on a massage table like Mo Green?
I was thinking more in the line of Banjo Boy talking to Vitale. "Boy you sure have a purdy mouth"
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

3 things:

1. Can we change the title to this thread? 2019/2020 is this year, not next
2. Losing Bwill was a big hit and so the writers are showing respect to Bwill that he was a big piece to lose.
3. We haven't exactly lived up to expectations for several seasons now so we will need to prove ourselves again. I'm OK with that because hopefully it will get the guys to play with a chip on their shoulders. Remember, toughness is required. Have we seen any toughness since KP left? Hopefully some of the young guys are ballers. I think Nick & Josh will play with fire which hopefully rubs off on the rest of the guys
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Longhorned wrote:There's going to be no food in McKale Center this coming season? So weird. I hope they let us bring food in, then. My wife and I don't have enough of a time window to go out to dinner before games.
I had a churro at the Red Blue game. All the vendors were serving just like normal. Beer line was 30 mins long

I did see that you cannot bring old cups in and get $3 refills on soda like always. Same charge as buying a new large cup which is $7. At least at football games. Corey Williams was pissed about it
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

84Cat wrote:3. We haven't exactly lived up to expectations for several seasons now so we will need to prove ourselves again.
We won the conference two of the last three seasons.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
84Cat wrote:3. We haven't exactly lived up to expectations for several seasons now so we will need to prove ourselves again.
I'm with you on that one, YDF, but I'm not sure reg season conference titles are given much consideration within national punditry. It's basically: what do you do in the tourney recently? Oh, you got knocked out by Buffalo in the first round in '18? And you weren't even *in* the tourney last year? You're in a down cycle, then.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Good point and that speaks to the absurdity of that poll but I am speaking to the perception that we have under achieved in the NCAA tournament.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jefe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:There's going to be no food in McKale Center this coming season? So weird. I hope they let us bring food in, then. My wife and I don't have enough of a time window to go out to dinner before games.
I had a churro at the Red Blue game. All the vendors were serving just like normal. Beer line was 30 mins long

I did see that you cannot bring old cups in and get $3 refills on soda like always. Same charge as buying a new large cup which is $7. At least at football games. Corey Williams was pissed about it
Thank you! Too bad about the beer line, but that's a relief.