Nico Mannion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Nico Mannion

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
EVCat wrote:On the other side of that footwork, he has one of the greatest weapons a PG can have...a legit hesitation dribble. He can change speeds and keeps control by not just going full blast on every drive. Some guards have standing and balls out as their only two speeds, and over-penetrate and charge. Nico can gear up, or go at a controlled speed to set up midrange or passing lanes. That is a big part of being a good passing guard as well...being able to extend the window for passing lanes by moving the defense while under control..
The above describes Ayo Desonmu, the PG at Illinois - guy is a killer a full speed but he has no change of pace or change of direction. He doesn't flutter the gas pedal, he hits the NOS button.

It really is wild to see a PG of Nico's age that can get his defender on his hip with his hesitation dribble. Kid just does it at will.
I remember describing Nico's game as "mature" when I was first posting about him here. What you're describing is why.

He uses different speeds well. He makes good decisions about when to penetrate and when not to. He knows when to shoot and when to pass.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

As pumped as I am that Nico's in a Wildcat uniform, it's tempered by the knowledge that we get him for one year. Reminds me of the Ayton situation or Gordon. There's so much riding on a single season. Gotta do something special when you have these players.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Bunch of scrubs on that cousey watch list, glad Nico isn't being associated with them.

Addition:
Mark Titus is a huuuuuuuge Nico fan, he better get his crap in a trap and make a respectable podcast twice a week for "the year of The Nico".
I hath dubbed this year, " The year of the Nico" from whence it shall be ever known.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Looking forward to a fast start by Nico. Mike Bibby had a great first game against North Carolina and he was off and running. Nico won’t have a first game as tough as that one was but He is a guy who can shoulder the expectations
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

azcat49 wrote:Looking forward to a fast start by Nico. Mike Bibby had a great first game against North Carolina and he was off and running. Nico won’t have a first game as tough as that one was but He is a guy who can shoulder the expectations
That second game against Illinois is going to be a trial - their PG Ayo Dosunmu is getting All American buzz and they should be a tournament team. Sadly a Pac-12 network broadcast, but it's a big opportunity for Nico to make a statement.

"This guy Ayo is on the Cosey list, you're not. This guy is getting All American buzz, you're not. This team thinks they're walking out of McKale with a W - they're not. Let's create some Sportcenter highlights and send these bums packing."
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

YoDeFoe wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Looking forward to a fast start by Nico. Mike Bibby had a great first game against North Carolina and he was off and running. Nico won’t have a first game as tough as that one was but He is a guy who can shoulder the expectations
That second game against Illinois is going to be a trial - their PG Ayo Dosunmu is getting All American buzz and they should be a tournament team. Sadly a Pac-12 network broadcast, but it's a big opportunity for Nico to make a statement.

"This guy Ayo is on the Cosey list, you're not. This guy is getting All American buzz, you're not. This team thinks they're walking out of McKale with a W - they're not. Let's create some Sportcenter highlights and send these bums packing."
If Illinois walks out of McKale with a W, then I'll walk out of McKale with a piranha in my shorts because nothing matters anymore.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

No way we're losing to Illinois at McKale. That's crazy talk.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well just my thoughts that this team will be as good as Nico plays. Lots of other guys need to step up but if our straw isn’t stirring, we will struggle
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Just passing the time...
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Heard this season’s basketball weather forecast is calling for a El Nico weather pattern to arrive. Which means the PAC 12 jet stream will run through Tucson leaving the rest of the PAC dry and arid.

Just saying...
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

these first few weeks are a big spoon feeding - he has some tough matchups right out the gate

my unknown with a first year player is always fitness - I will be paying close attention to how he holds up over the course of the season.

if he gets stronger as the season grows longer his IQ will serve him well.

if he breaks down that could be trouble

fun season ahead

Go Cats!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:these first few weeks are a big spoon feeding - he has some tough matchups right out the gate

my unknown with a first year player is always fitness - I will be paying close attention to how he holds up over the course of the season.

fun season ahead

Go Cats!
That's one reason why I'm not fully against Miller working a few cupcakes into our schedule and spending most of our time in McKale. With modern rosters, you need a little less travel and wear and tear bc so many players are stepping up to a new level.

Back in the day when you had more returners, I think you could jump into the deep end a little more.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

97cats wrote:these first few weeks are a big spoon feeding - he has some tough matchups right out the gate

fun season ahead

Go Cats!
I've got good confidence in Nico's physical conditioning. Born to and raised by two pro athletes, starred for the Italian national team, worked out separate from his team workouts with trainer Vaughn Compton. I remember him talking last fall in an interview about needing to be prepared for the rigors of NCAA ball, needing to add strength and weight. If the Arizona roster listing is to be believed, he's added 15 pounds since that interview.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

fun season ahead

Go Cats!
Post more brother.

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

YoDeFoe wrote:I remember him talking last fall in an interview about needing to be prepared for the rigors of NCAA ball, needing to add strength and weight. If the Arizona roster listing is to be believed, he's added 15 pounds since that interview.
In that SLAM video from July, his trainer wanted him at 185. We have him listed at 190. He's been killing it
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

https://zonazealots.com/2019/10/23/ariz ... nions-mom/" target="_blank

Thought this was a good read from Nico’s Mom
97cats

Post by 97cats »

practice update for Al:

"Nico has been solid/good so far but not great"
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

97cats wrote:practice update for Al:

posted this in the 24/7 forum, but I'm hoping this is similar to his performance in McD AA game practices, where he struggled at the onset and improved slowly as the practices went on when he got used to the size/speed/athleticism. I think Nico should be one of those freshmen that steadily improves throughout the year, but I've never thought he'd be a killer from day one, so this makes sense to me.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

goslingswagg wrote:

posted this in the 24/7 forum, but I'm hoping this is similar to his performance in McD AA game practices, where he struggled at the onset and improved slowly as the practices went on when he got used to the size/speed/athleticism. I think Nico should be one of those freshmen that steadily improves throughout the year, but I've never thought he'd be a killer from day one, so this makes sense to me.
Agreed and had the same thoughts re: McD's and Nico's process of learning / developing within his new team before ramping up his production.

Appreciate the insight, 97
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not sure what to do with this information.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:

There is nothing to do with it.

How many players have you heard were "just killing it" in the preseason that flopped? How many "best shooters we have ever had" stories have come out of practices?

It's not because coaches and people who are seeing practice are lying...it's sometimes simply that some players practice better. Some are focusing on details, some are looking to win. And at PG, there is a significant jump in expectation.

His talent is there. His work is there. He has shined on the big stage, and against great players. But some players just need a second or two to get their bearings, and some will never be "holy shit!" practice players.

I don't think there really is anything to do with this information right now except go "OK...he hasn't been blowing up at practice. Let's see what happens next." If he is still OK but not great in February, start preparing to see Nico in year 2. But I don't think those who provided this information were trying to prognosticate Nico's future...just saying he might not be LordAndSavior on day 1. And don't expect that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:

I'm thinking some of it is two things. First, Nico is probably compared to his rep and expectations. More was expected from him than anyone else. I have a hard time believing that does not influence people's perspectives of his play.

Next, I'm also pretty sure Miller pushes him harder than most and expects more than with others. Being a point guard, having potential...Nico and others have spoken about how Miller pushes his best players the hardest.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

I'm thinking some of it is two things. First, Nico is probably compared to his rep and expectations. More was expected from him than anyone else. I have a hard time believing that does not influence people's perspectives of his play.

Next, I'm also pretty sure Miller pushes him harder than most and expects more than with others. Being a point guard, having potential...Nico and others have spoken about how Miller pushes his best players the hardest.
The test of professionalism in every category of commerce is in how well and quickly problems are fixed. Since more is being asked of Nico than any other player on the court it's only reasonable to expect that more of his energy and talent will be expended at this point in time to meeting the demand.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Is it 100% that Nico is 1 and done?

I would love 2 years of Nico if it meant a good freshman year and an awesome sophomore year!
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Being solid / good, for a freshman who hasn't even played a single college game yet, makes me happy. I wouldn't have expected him to be college-level-great right out of the gate.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

The test of professionalism in every category of commerce is in how well and quickly problems are fixed. Since more is being asked of Nico than any other player on the court it's only reasonable to expect that more of his energy and talent will be expended at this point in time to meeting the demand.
Well put. Nico is the youngest player on the team, playing the most demanding position, and is expected to be our best player. Ramping up to that level takes tremendous effort and focus... keeping his head above water is a win right now.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Good article on Mannion by Pascoe (unrelated to 97's insights discussed above).

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... ae507.html" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Hate to rip off good journalism but figured I'd give non-subscribers a glimpse behind the paywall here:

https://theathletic.com/1314770/2019/10 ... ona-debut/" target="_blank
‘God-given talent’: How Nico Mannion’s trainer helped set the stage for prodigy’s Arizona debut
By C.J. Holmes Oct 29, 2019

Nico Mannion, his parents and closest friends invoke a saying to remind them that nothing great can be accomplished alone: “It takes a village.”

Mannion’s inner circle, his village, is small. But it’s filled with people who have influenced his growth over the years. In one way or another, these individuals have helped him on his path to becoming an elite point guard prospect. This season, Mannion will be the face of Arizona basketball.

Some members of that village made the trip to Tucson to support Mannion in this year’s Red-Blue Game on Sept. 27, when the five-star freshman guard made his Wildcats debut. Mannion’s parents, Pace and Gaia, were there with his cousin Ludovica. Also in attendance was Mannion’s longtime trainer and friend, Vaughn Compton, who had worked closely with Mannion since he was 13 years old.

When player introductions began ahead of the scrimmage, Compton says he got a little emotional as Mannion jogged out of the McKale Center tunnel for the first time in his cardinal red Arizona uniform. Five years of meticulous training, and sacrifice, had led to this special moment. His “little brother” was finally on the big stage.

“I honestly started to get teary-eyed and I was like, ‘Wow. Here he is,’” Compton said. “What was once a vision is actually happening now. The visions are starting to become reality.”

Compton, 31, once had hoop dreams of his own. He was a 6-foot-2, 175-pound guard at Mountain View High in Mesa, where he won back-to-back state championships in 2005 and 2006, and was expecting to play college basketball at a Division II school after graduation. However, at an open gym following his senior year, he tore his ACL.

After surgery and a lengthy rehabilitation period, Compton continued to chase his dream of playing college basketball, but luck wasn’t on his side. Compton suffered two more ACL tears. Unable to return to full strength, he ended his playing career and enrolled at Arizona State, where he hoped to find direction.

With the emergence of social media, Compton constantly found himself on Instagram watching famous basketball trainers such as Micah Lancaster and Ganon Baker, and began to carefully study their craft. No longer able to play competitively, he fell in love with the concept of player development and started to train aspiring hoopers while coaching AAU basketball on the side.

In 2013, Compton, and former Wildcats guard Brendon Lavender founded the Ventura Basketball Academy in Scottsdale. Ever since, he’s worked with elite high school players in the Phoenix area, college players and professionals at every level. Today, he’s built a reputation as one of the better basketball trainers in the West.

Compton had been training and coaching at his academy for two years before he encountered Mannion. They first connected when Compton’s and Mannion’s AAU teams had a conjoined practice. Both teams spent a segment of the joint workout doing skill work under Compton’s instruction. And when the session concluded, Compton was approached by Pace Mannion, who asked if he’d be interested in training his son personally.

Pace Mannion was an NBA talent back in the day, while Gaia Mannion used to compete with the Italian national volleyball team. Compton says that Mannion didn’t look the part of a high-major player at 13 years old, but his fluidity and athleticism stood out. Mannion didn’t pass the eye test, but on the court, he was a natural.

“Nico was a skinny, short little redhead kid,” Compton said. “But when you see him start to move, he had a smooth quickness. He had some swagger to his game. It kind of pops out at you. I didn’t think kids like him were supposed to move like that. But he had that swagger to his game and he kind of moved differently. He was really smart with what he did, so you could tell he had God-given talent.”

Compton and Mannion began working out together two to five times a week, taking breaks only if Mannion was injured or needed a few weeks of rest following the season. Compton said he was impressed by Mannion’s work ethic, adding that it was hard to keep him out of the gym even when injured. In one specific instance, Mannion showed up to a workout with a broken hand incurred at Team USA camp.

“He had his cast on, so we just did conditioning drills, agility ladders and stationary ballhandling stuff,” Compton said.

In the beginning, most of Compton’s workouts with Mannion consisted of guard play basics: heavy ballhandling, changing speeds off the dribble, finishing creatively around the rim and using ball screens effectively. Then, as Mannion started playing at Pinnacle High, and with the West Coast Elite on the AAU circuit, Compton began to focus more on his weaknesses, and making sure he could consistently make the right reads in game-like scenarios.

When Mannion played in AAU tournaments, typically on weekends, his dad would communicate with Compton about weaknesses that showed up during those games. Compton and Mannion would get in the gym the following week and address them.

As a trainer, Compton is big on valuing each rep, with an extra emphasis on technique and muscle memory. And as a basketball player, the only way to develop good habits and improve your game is to practice with proper technique at game speed in game-like situations.

This is how Mannion trained for years. The results, of course, speak for themselves: consensus five-star recruit; two-time state champion; Gatorade 2019 Arizona Player of the Year; McDonald’s 2019 All-American.

“You combine Nico’s God-given talent with detailed instruction, working on changing speeds, changing direction, getting to specific places on the court with different moves and different setups, and over the years, that consistent work ethic just started to snowball,” Compton said. “It wasn’t until once he hit physical maturity, once he hit puberty, when he started getting the strength and the bounce and the explosiveness. The stars aligned. That’s when he really started to emerge on the AAU scene and people really started to take notice.

“A lot of players want to conquer everything in a short amount of time. They get impatient with the process. You have to have a plan in place to improve a little bit each day, each workout. That pattern over the course of months and years, that’s the recipe for success.”

Mannion added: “I really think Vaughn brings the best out of me just because he always has energy. And he’s working out with me. He’s not out there just rebounding and telling me what to do. All the stuff that I can do, he can do, too. He knows exactly how to do it, right down to all the little details.”

Compton and Mannion have developed a special bond that extends well beyond the hardwood. The Mannions view Compton as family. And in Compton’s eyes, Nico is more than a trainee.

“He’s like a little brother,” Compton said. “Of course we typically talk some basketball, but we talk about social life. We talk about movies. We talk about relationships. I mean, just everything. We’ve really built up this trust with each other where we can talk about any aspect of life and be comfortable with that.

“It’s pretty amazing how things worked out. But, in life, and in the basketball world, when you do things the right way — out of passion — good things tend to work themselves out, and good people come together.”

And according to Mannion, the feeling is mutual.

“Vaughn is more like a big brother to me than anything,” he said. “He’ll call me after games and we’ll talk about basketball, but the next day, we’ll get lunch and just talk about life. It’s just like, more of a brotherly thing. When I work out, I don’t even look at it like, ‘Oh, I have to go work out.’ It’s fun to me that I get to go see Vaughn and we get to work out together. He’s in there sweating with me, so I know it’s real.

“… He’s been through so much. He knows the answers to a lot of things. That’s obviously a big key, but the fact that he’s one of the best trainers on the West Coast is also a big key. I wouldn’t have met him if he wasn’t a trainer, if I didn’t play basketball. There’s so many things that just kind of lined us up. Our relationship is unbreakable. It’s more than basketball with us.”

This past summer, Compton spent hours in the gym with Mannion preparing him for his freshman season at Arizona. They focused heavily on shooting consistency off the catch, off the dribble, off ball screens and extending his range to adapt to the new college 3-point line. Compton is a film junkie, so they spent a lot of time watching video clips of the college game, too. In addition, Mannion also put in extra work in the weight room.

“I was trying to get in the weight room as much as I could because when I finished high school, I was about 170,” Mannion said. “I got up to around 185 this summer so that’s been good for me. Getting in the weight room was the biggest thing for me. And obviously the basketball stuff, staying in shape because you’re not playing any games. For those two months, I was pretty much in the gym every day with Vaughn and he did a great job. He kept me in shape, kept me crisp.”

Compton added: “Nico kind of had to start from scratch where he’s got to learn all of the defensive concepts and strategies, and everybody moves quicker at the college level. In high school, you could take a couple plays off and still be OK. But now in college, you take a couple of plays off and that’s an eight-point run for the opponent and the momentum completely changes. He’s just having to adjust and adapt to the college game, to the size and all that. But the thing I know about Nico is, he’s not just a talent. He adapts. He adjusts and it’s not a matter of if he will, it’s a matter of when.”

Compton recently drove down to Tucson from Phoenix to work out with Mannion. Per NCAA rules, he wasn’t allowed to train him on campus as a non-staff member, so he rented a court at the Sporting Chance Center off Curtis Road. Sean Miller is aware of Compton, and when he’s in town to work out with Mannion, he and his staff communicate details they’ve been focusing on with him in practice, so everyone’s on the same page.

“I had a 30-minute conversation with Coach Miller on what they’re working on with Nico,” Compton said. “The coaching staff is very cool about communicating that. And a coach could just be like, ‘Whatever, man. You’re his trainer. Just let us do our job.’ But that’s not the case. They’re being very cool about the open communication regarding Nico’s development and share their vision for him.”

And when Compton can’t make it down to Tucson for workouts, he knows that Mannion is in good hands. Miller has even allowed Compton to sit in on a few practices.

“It’s comforting,” he said. “I mean, Coach Miller runs a phenomenal practice. Coach Murphy, Coach Peters, Coach Gainey — they’re all just excellent at what they do. And then the grad assistant, Justin Coleman, who played at Arizona last year, he does a phenomenal job working with Nico. Nico loves his workouts. It’s comforting knowing that he has such great basketball minds and guys who are just focused on making him better.

“The coaching staff is super detail-oriented, so they’re holding him accountable for everything. They’re telling him the same things I’m telling him: be aggressive on ball screens, look to create, and that’s offensively. Defensively, just getting through screens, being in the right spots, communicating, all those things. They don’t let him get away with anything, man. And that’s the way I am in training, where I’m holding him accountable for all the details. They match that detail-oriented, kind of strive for perfection.”

As one of the top high school players in the country a year ago, Mannion enters his freshman season in Tucson with insanely high expectations.

“Nico is a spring-loaded Bobby Hurley,” college basketball analyst and former coach Fran Fraschilla said. “He has Hurley’s toughness and skills that Bobby displayed as a college All-American and may be a better athlete. … Nico is in the perfect spot at Arizona. There is a need for him to contribute immediately and he will get the benefit of playing for a hard-nosed coach in Sean Miller. It should be a great marriage.”

Some looked at Mannion’s nine-point performance on 2-of-7 shooting in the Red-Blue game and immediately feared the worst. Compton encourages Arizona fans to be patient. He also understands that doubters always come with the territory.

“Nico and his team had one official practice prior to that,” Compton said. “It was the first time for most of those guys playing at McKale in that environment, so it’s kind of expected. Just like any college freshman, it’s going to take him a little while to adapt. It’s way too early to start judging, but Nico is used to people being critical of everything he does. If you’re going to be a high-profile player, and play on the big stage, there’s going to be a lot of people pointing fingers and hating and pointing out any flaw they can come up with.”

Now, Compton will sit back and watch Mannion continue to grow up. He’s proud of the role he’s played in Mannion’s life, but will never boast about it.

After all, Mannion is the one who put in the work. Compton is just thankful to be a part of his journey, and as Mannion’s “big brother,” he knows he’s done his part.

“You can parent him, you can mentor him, but it’s Nico that makes the decisions,” Compton said. “It’s Nico that makes choices and listens to the right voices. I know he’s very humble, so he’s never going to say, ‘I did this.’ He’s going to give credit to everyone who helped him along the way. But at the end of the day, he’s the one who went out there and played. He’s the one who drove to the gym to work out. He’s the one to go and study game film. He’s done a great job. I couldn’t be more proud of him.”
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I think this quote speaks to the feedback that we heard from 97:

Compton added: “Nico kind of had to start from scratch where he’s got to learn all of the defensive concepts and strategies, and everybody moves quicker at the college level. In high school, you could take a couple plays off and still be OK. But now in college, you take a couple of plays off and that’s an eight-point run for the opponent and the momentum completely changes. He’s just having to adjust and adapt to the college game, to the size and all that. But the thing I know about Nico is, he’s not just a talent. He adapts. He adjusts and it’s not a matter of if he will, it’s a matter of when.”

Mannion has a lot to learn and a lot of responsibility, but he'll get there.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:I think this quote speaks to the feedback that we heard from 97:

Mannion has a lot to learn and a lot of responsibility, but he'll get there.
I firmly believe D is the biggest transition for really good high schoolers. Guys like Nico are used to being the best athlete out there and not being tested every time down. In college, everyone can score on you and they'll go at you if you take a play off.

It's bigger at Arizona because packline emphasizes off ball rotations more than some other schemes. So you have to be ready to bust ass off ball as well.

Finally, in HS, a lot of coaches will minimize their star's effort on D to save him for offense. I laugh at the idea Miller would ever consider that.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Baker’s steady play and perimeter defense should be a big lift for Mannion as he scales up. Nice safety net to have Baker and Green to Nico’s left and right.

I feel a lot better about those early tough PG matchups that I listed here previously.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Baker’s steady play and perimeter defense should be a big lift for Mannion as he scales up. Nice safety net to have Baker and Green to Nico’s left and right.

I feel a lot better about those early tough PG matchups that I listed here previously.
It definitely helps us. Baker is a contender for some of the backup PG minutes and his D can also help reduce Nico's wear and tear a lot.

With Hazzard or Doutrive, I didn't feel like they could interchange on D with Nico. Smith is a better defender, but he isn't well suited for smaller PG's.

Baker can cover the same players Nico can.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

didn’t watch - someone be so kind and give me a Mannion take or two.

thx
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:didn’t watch - someone be so kind and give me a Mannion take or two.

thx
He was decent but was trigger-prone while having an awful shooting night. I don't even want to see his free throw stats. If not for those two fixable issues, he looked solid.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:
97cats wrote:didn’t watch - someone be so kind and give me a Mannion take or two.

thx
He was decent but was trigger-prone while having an awful shooting night. I don't even want to see his free throw stats. If not for those two fixable issues, he looked solid.
Yeah. Make shots and he was fine. He was way off shooting, but the rest was solid.
prh

Post by prh »

thx
Poor shooting like others said. Struggled a bit with turnovers, but more chalked up as getting acclimated to college game. Potential is easy to see. Played very under control otherwise, can definitely see him having a lot more freedom (or at least exercising it) than previous Miller PGs.

Lines up with what we've heard from you previously. If he just hit some shots, he would have appeared much better to the average fan.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

thx
Better than PJC

Not up to TJM standard.... yet
97cats

Post by 97cats »

“decent - solid - struggled a bit but mostly under control - better than PJC”

thank you
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He had one play after the ten minute mark of the second half where he hit another gear to get past his defender and then finished with a nice layup at the rim where I thought, “Oh yeah, that’s what I came to see.”

You can tell he‘ll have more of those moments. It just won’t be consistent at first.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I’m never worried about the number of pg turnovers while a new team tries to get a feel for each other in a pre-season exhibition. I’d be worried if the turnovers looked bad, and to me they didn’t.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:I’m never worried about the number of pg turnovers while a new team tries to get a feel for each other in a pre-season exhibition. I’d be worried if the turnovers looked bad, and to me they didn’t.
What does a good turnover look like?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Alieberman wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I’m never worried about the number of pg turnovers while a new team tries to get a feel for each other in a pre-season exhibition. I’d be worried if the turnovers looked bad, and to me they didn’t.
Alright. Let’s keep this civil and move it to the “What’s for Lunch” thread.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I thought Mannion did very well...consider this is his first real College game in front of fans...its a bit hard to compare to TJC, but I seriously doubt Timothy had a better virgin game his freshman introduction...seriously...as good as these guys are they are still basically teenagers...I think Miller is more aware of this than anyone else...which is why he's the coach.

Same the same applies for DD...he will get the message...what shows up for me most is how well have these guys been raised? Are they entitled or are they teachable...I have faith that Miller does his best to eliminate unteachables before they are even recruited.

Raw talent is only slightly valuable in team sports...undeveloped raw talent even moreso.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:
A good turnover is when you keep stepping down on the baseline over and over and over again. That’s a move I hope he develops.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:
A good turnover is when you keep stepping down on the baseline over and over and over again. That’s a move I hope he develops.
for me this is second only behind dribbling off your foot out of bounds - now that’s a good turnover
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
for me this is second only behind dribbling off your foot out of bounds - now that’s a good turnover
Listen... it takes years to develop that type of move.... let's not put that kind of pressure on Nico.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:
97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Listen... it takes years to develop that type of move.... let's not put that kind of pressure on Nico.
But it's best when the pressure is on: the final possession, with York at the point, and all of us feeling confident.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
But it's best when the pressure is on: the final possession, with York at the point, and all of us feeling confident.
Y'all need to slow down and learn to savor the natural development of things. You're in such a hurry to be disappointed. Now! Now! I want it Now! Why seek instantaneous dissatisfaction when you can wait for the ripening of true heartbreak? You kids may never learn.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Someone (not me) posted this on FB on University.

This should be shown to every cold weather recruit!