let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '20

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:UNC picked up a commitment from RJ Davis, who is a 3 point dominant guard like Kerwin Walton, so that may take them out for his services.
Gotta think their class at this point is just missing a wing...think they're gonna continue to go hard on Zaire and Puff, but hoping we can at least get one of those two.
Word is Ziaire likely ain't leaving the west coast. Going to be an all out war for Puff.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:UNC picked up a commitment from RJ Davis, who is a 3 point dominant guard like Kerwin Walton, so that may take them out for his services.
Gotta think their class at this point is just missing a wing...think they're gonna continue to go hard on Zaire and Puff, but hoping we can at least get one of those two.
Word is Ziaire likely ain't leaving the west coast. Going to be an all out war for Puff.
He's Cam Johnson's brother, right? That has to make it tough with UNC.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Cam was coming to Arizona until we had clarity with Rawle and Zo both returning. Cam is in Phoenix now, Miller and Cam/Puff's dad are very very close still from their Pitt days together. Both teams have an ace in the hole, but Arizona has more working for it than UNC does barring a Suns trade of Cam to the Hornets lol.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Cam was coming to Arizona until we had clarity with Rawle and Zo both returning. Cam is in Phoenix now, Miller and Cam/Puff's dad are very very close still from their Pitt days together. Both teams have an ace in the hole, but Arizona has more working for it than UNC does barring a Suns trade of Cam to the Hornets lol.
Have you seen MJ as a GM? He loves him some UNC players, so even odds he trades 3 future firsts for Cam.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Have you seen MJ as a GM? He loves him some UNC players, so even odds he trades 3 future firsts for Cam.
Yep, just gotta make sure that trade doesn't happen until Puff is already on campus.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Does that make USC the main competition for Ziaire? Would Ziaire come if Puff was in the fold...ie...

DD
Puff
Terry
Ziaire

on the wing.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Does that make USC the main competition for Ziaire? Would Ziaire come if Puff was in the fold...ie...

DD
Puff
Terry
Ziaire

on the wing.
I honestly don't know which way Ziaire is leaning, just the word is it'll be hard to pull him from the west coast. I'm sure if he wants to go to a school where no one cares about basketball and he wants to receive the worst coaching he possibly could get then USC would be very high on his list.

My best guess for Arizona next year on the wing would be:

DD
Puff
Kerwin Walton/Another new body
Terry
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Two impactful blurbs in this tweet about Kerwin Walton.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Am I off base being weirdly optimistic we might land Adam Miller? I just feel like ASU is a no-go since they didn't hire his high school coach (I believe), and Illinois is now getting Curbelo. Seems to me like we will have a huge hole at the PG spot (even though Miller is more of a combo), tons of minutes available, and have the Witch on our side...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:Am I off base being weirdly optimistic we might land Adam Miller? I just feel like ASU is a no-go since they didn't hire his high school coach (I believe), and Illinois is now getting Curbelo. Seems to me like we will have a huge hole at the PG spot (even though Miller is more of a combo), tons of minutes available, and have the Witch on our side...
Curbelo and Miller could and would easily play together. Miller is much better off at the 2 anyways quite frankly. I think we got a shot, but I'm certainly not counting on it. Illinois is certainly infinitely more threatening now than ASU is.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:Am I off base being weirdly optimistic we might land Adam Miller? I just feel like ASU is a no-go since they didn't hire his high school coach (I believe), and Illinois is now getting Curbelo. Seems to me like we will have a huge hole at the PG spot (even though Miller is more of a combo), tons of minutes available, and have the Witch on our side...
Curbelo and Miller could and would easily play together. Miller is much better off at the 2 anyways quite frankly. I think we got a shot, but I'm certainly not counting on it. Illinois is certainly infinitely more threatening now than ASU is.
Got it, makes sense. Thought Miller was more of a shoot-first PG but seems like he's more of a true 2. Just feels like the kind of recruitment that Miller can fight his way into for some reason.

And if we do land Miller, I would think our PG by committee approach that we discussed on the boards (i.e. having Miller, Baker, DD, Terry share the ball handling duties) would make sense in that case.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Got it, makes sense. Thought Miller was more of a shoot-first PG but seems like he's more of a true 2. Just feels like the kind of recruitment that Miller can fight his way into for some reason.

And if we do land Miller, I would think our PG by committee approach that we discussed on the boards (i.e. having Miller, Baker, DD, Terry share the ball handling duties) would make sense in that case.
Don't hold me to this, but if we land Miller my guess is we're going to promise him some major time at the 1. In a perfect world he and BWill would split duties.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Don't hold me to this, but if we land Miller my guess is we're going to promise him some major time at the 1. In a perfect world he and BWill would split duties.
Holy shit completely forgot about Bwill...let's hope that comes true next year.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 455515001/" target="_blank

Crystal ball has Arkansas as the favorite.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 455515001/

We are not and have never recruited him. Way too risky to get involved for a school in our position.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:

We are not and have never recruited him. Way too risky to get involved for a school in our position.
does his family want a ton of $? or academics not legit?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

A1RZONA wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I wish I still had the post, but he was the guy who was tied to a ton of Adidas money and access at ASU. Someone had a fantastic post that laid out how Walker's commit corresponded exactly with the money.

The FBI thing is still hanging out there, so a recruit tied to Adidas and $ is the last thing we need to be in on.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
A1RZONA wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I wish I still had the post, but he was the guy who was tied to a ton of Adidas money and access at ASU. Someone had a fantastic post that laid out how Walker's commit corresponded exactly with the money.

The FBI thing is still hanging out there, so a recruit tied to Adidas and $ is the last thing we need to be in on.
would love to see it if you ever find it. definitely agree its not worth pursuing given the situation.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

A1RZONA wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
A1RZONA wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

would love to see it if you ever find it. definitely agree its not worth pursuing given the situation.
520in480 did it. I'll link and copy text. All credit to him/her.

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... start=1150" target="_blank

"I have been reading the posts in this forum for years. Love the insight and intelligent debate (most of the time). I have never felt compelled to participate, until today. 

I have been both depressed and fascinated by this scandal. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that ASU hired an Adidas guy as an assistant basketball coach recently. This jogged some memories and after just a couple of minutes, I found the following information about ASU, Adidas, and top 2020 recruit, Kyree Walker. These are just dots. I don't know if they connect or not. But given what's been shared on this board regarding the nature of recruiting and the influence shoe companies have in the recruiting process, this seems to fit the script.

July 2015 – ASU officially switches from Nike to Adidas

May 2016 – ASU basketball hires Adidas marketing rep, Anthony Coleman, as an assistant coach. From HouseOfSparky.com, "Coleman will play a critical role in recruiting as his Adidas ties will allow ASU to tap into that portion of the AAU circuit." 

April 2017 – Adidas and ASU create international sports center, creating a new faculty position in the process. From BizJournal.com, "Kenneth L. Shropshire, director of the Wharton Sports Business Initiative at the University of Pennsylvania, will become the first Adidas Distinguished Professor of Global Sport at ASU, a brand-new position at the university. Adidas contributed to the position at an undisclosed cost."

June 30, 2017 – Kyree Walker commits to ASU … Announced that Kyree will be attending Hillcrest Prep and his father will be coaching there.

July 2017 – Kyree Walker leaves Nike-sponsored Oakland Soldiers for Adidas-sponsored Dream Vision

Sep. 2017 – Hillcrest Prep announces a partnership with Adidas

Just thought I would share because I was stunned at how easy I found this after I knew what to look for based on the info that's been shared on this site."
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

thanks for finding that spiff! seems like a clear "avoid at all costs" guy. been weird to see him get crystal ball picks for us given he doesnt even have an offer from us (pretty sure that is true).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

A1RZONA wrote:thanks for finding that spiff! seems like a clear "avoid at all costs" guy. been weird to see him get crystal ball picks for us given he doesnt even have an offer from us (pretty sure that is true).
Yeah, being linked to a high risk Adidas recruitment with heavy AAU ties...that is a big risk for us after Book.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

According to Jake Weingarten, Frank Ansalem is on campus for an official visit right now...seems somewhat out of the blue? Have heard he is likely reclassifying. Not able to find a ton of highlights of him, but we will likely need a big in the 2020 class if Zeke is one-and-done.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

goslingswagg wrote:According to Jake Weingarten, Frank Ansalem is on campus for an official visit right now...seems somewhat out of the blue? Have heard he is likely reclassifying. Not able to find a ton of highlights of him, but we will likely need a big in the 2020 class if Zeke is one-and-done.
Some more info...

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/10/15/ari ... k-anselem/" target="_blank

“Sean Miller is looking for a mobile, athletic big that can run, switch out on defense and move, rebound, defend, and be a presence inside,” Doherty said. “Frank fills a lot of the above boxes.”

Looks like Jordan Brown 2.0 (like, literally looks like him but also similar build and game - mobile, athletic, nice touch - and also a Prolific Prep player). Has a reported 7'4" wingspan though, besting Brown's more limited 7'0" span.

KU, LSU, USC, Oregon, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee all in on him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:According to Jake Weingarten, Frank Ansalem is on campus for an official visit right now...seems somewhat out of the blue? Have heard he is likely reclassifying. Not able to find a ton of highlights of him, but we will likely need a big in the 2020 class if Zeke is one-and-done.
Don't know much about his game, but obviously we have a relationship with Prolific Prep, he would fit a major size need, but he's going to have tons of suitors. Big deal to get him on campus. I think he'll head to ASU afterwards though *jerk off motion*.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ziaire Williams is visiting this weekend.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Ziaire Williams is visiting this weekend.
gotta think we have a legit chance here...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
Oregon visit on deck afterwards. He's staying west coast, but it's just a matter of where. Furd has put A LOT of work into this recruitment, but will it pay off?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Oregon visit on deck afterwards. He's staying west coast, but it's just a matter of where. Furd has put A LOT of work into this recruitment, but will it pay off?
Yeah I get that, I'm just not sure why Stanford would keep Haase next year at this point. And also in my opinion, surefire one-and-done kids shouldn't choose a school based on academics, just seems useless. I'm getting the vibe he likes living in LA and will go to USC but that's just reading in-between-the-lines with his interviews.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Hoping he watches JG this year and wants to follow right behind him into the lottery.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

JG!
billk78

Post by billk78 »

97cats wrote:JG!
Arizona is right where is wants to be with _____?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

97cats wrote:JG!
can't wait to see JG...
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Seeing lots of confidence on the UNC 24/7 boards re: Puff after his official visit has finished...still am really hoping he is the next one to pop for us but feel less confident in getting him now.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Carolinas class if filling up quick. Great sign having Puff leave without a commitment. I think he’s ours!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:Seeing lots of confidence on the UNC 24/7 boards re: Puff after his official visit has finished...still am really hoping he is the next one to pop for us but feel less confident in getting him now.
Roy cried to the family that it would hurt his feelings if he doesn't come to UNC. We'll see if hurting ol crying Roy's feelings is too much to bear for the Johnsons.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

NickyBCats wrote:Carolinas class if filling up quick. Great sign having Puff leave without a commitment. I think he’s ours!

I made my comment than Gershon goes and changes his crystal ball for Puff. Lol
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:
NickyBCats wrote:Carolinas class if filling up quick. Great sign having Puff leave without a commitment. I think he’s ours!

Scheer did too.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NickyBCats wrote:

Scheer did too.

Welp
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NickyBCats wrote:

Scheer did too.
jerry meyer just picked unc this morning...wtf is happening
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

A1RZONA wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
NickyBCats wrote:

Scheer did too.
Roy's crying is all powerful.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:
A1RZONA wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
NickyBCats wrote:

Scheer did too.
Roy's crying is all powerful.
unreal
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Wouldn't get your hopes up.
It's also happening tonight not tomorrow.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He gone
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

This one will certainly chap Miller's ass more than most.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Unreal it’s ending so quickly after the visit when many thought we were in the drivers seat for such a long time.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

His big bro became a lottery pick playing for Roy. Easy to understand his decision.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

They must pay better
az91

Post by az91 »

Carolina is building a monster class.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:They must pay better
Roy Williams just cries a hell of a lot better.