The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Other than ticket sales, what good can come of Thursday's game against SJSU? What are we hoping for? PT for our bench?

How about 25 minutes of Baker, Hazzard, Green, Gettings, and Koloko?
It's a warmup for New Mexico State, which honestly will be our toughest game to date. Work more on defense and rotation and quite possibly work another guy into the rotation.
I sure hope that possibility happens.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I can't tell you how much I am excited about this team. We have the potential to be the national champion. We are already a final four caliber team with a lot of potential. What I like is the unselfish, team first attitude. They won't need to worry about winning or the score as much as honoring the process. Keep working on improving as a team and everything will fall in place.

I actually purchased DVR service for the first time in years because I don't want to miss a game. This is the most fun team to watch in the CSM era. IMO, the last time the Cats had a team this good was the 2000-2001 season. And that says a lot. The entire bench, who is on scholarship, could start for a lot of teams. And we haven't even seen Doutrive play yet. The team is so fun to watch because of their pace, hustle, and team IQ. Plus, a PG who is very comfortable playing this pace. We have had a lot of exceptional PGs, but I can't recall one as good as Mannion, at least when he is in a zone. What amazes me about Mannion is his composure, even at a fast pace. He rarely makes mistakes.

One last point, our entire scholarship players deserve PT. And every one of them could be in a starting lineup for another team. I would love to see if this team could play a full-court press for an entire game.

Free Koloko.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Catintheheat wrote:I can't tell you how much I am excited about this team. We have the potential to be the national champion.
So much of that potential hinges on team defense, transition defense, and rebounding. Two of those three were much better realized in the second half against Illinois. With Miller as the coach, I like this team's chances for realizing its potential for all three.

But it all comes down to Nico. The offense sputtered whenever he was on the bench this last game. It's a different team when he's on the floor. And his importance is so central that, believe it or not, the home crowd is different when he's on the floor. The cohesion and ballsy-ness spreads throughout McKale, and it deflates a bit when he sits. So imagine how important he's going to be to his teammates in hostile and neutral arenas. I haven't seen anything like it in a while.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:I can't tell you how much I am excited about this team. We have the potential to be the national champion.
So much of that potential hinges on team defense, transition defense, and rebounding. Two of those three were much better realized in the second half against Illinois. With Miller as the coach, I like this team's chances for realizing its potential for all three.

But it all comes down to Nico. The offense sputtered whenever he was on the bench this last game. It's a different team when he's on the floor. And his importance is so central that, believe it or not, the home crowd is different when he's on the floor. The cohesion and ballsy-ness spreads throughout McKale, and it deflates a bit when he sits. So imagine how important he's going to be to his teammates in hostile and neutral arenas. I haven't seen anything like it in a while.
Zeke and Chase play well together, but would it bolster our backup squad and serve to ameliorate our Nico dependency to shift Jeter from the starting lineup to a later entry? I could see a trial of it when playing soft OOC teams, then reverting to form with stiffer competition to see if it helps.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The defense on this team needs to improve a lot. There were several layups and drives by Illinois that showed the vulnerability. I’d be willing to bet that Illinois team will end up 4th or so in the BIG this year, but probably 6 or 7th in the PAC.

If people are talking about a run this year after 2 games, I can’t fault them except to point out how well the Illini shot in the first half and how poorly they handled the ball. If Nico hadn’t been on fire in the first 10 or so minutes, that game coulda gone much differently.

Defense always travels and can keep you in ugly games where shots won’t fall or unfortunate circumstances (#PAC12refs) appear. Arizona hovering around 30th on defense isn’t a recipe for a natty.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Miller confirmed that Doutrive could be back for Thursday's game. Unless DD does something historically stupid I'd expect him to play.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Zeke and Chase play well together, but would it bolster our backup squad and serve to ameliorate our Nico dependency to shift Jeter from the starting lineup to a later entry? I could see a trial of it when playing soft OOC teams, then reverting to form with stiffer competition to see if it helps.
We need Jeter's defense and IQ in the starting lineup, especially with Zeke and Nico still way behind on defense.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Miller confirmed that Doutrive could be back for Thursday's game. Unless DD does something historically stupid I'd expect him to play.
Now it's really time to ride on our enemies.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:The defense on this team needs to improve a lot. There were several layups and drives by Illinois that showed the vulnerability. I’d be willing to bet that Illinois team will end up 4th or so in the BIG this year, but probably 6 or 7th in the PAC.

If people are talking about a run this year after 2 games, I can’t fault them except to point out how well the Illini shot in the first half and how poorly they handled the ball. If Nico hadn’t been on fire in the first 10 or so minutes, that game coulda gone much differently.

Defense always travels and can keep you in ugly games where shots won’t fall or unfortunate circumstances (#PAC12refs) appear. Arizona hovering around 30th on defense isn’t a recipe for a natty.
Part of the optimism is that everyone looks motivated and coachable on D. The packline is complicated enough that it can take time.

I think it's less about where we are now and more about how we project down the line when our new guys have a few months under their belts. On the upside, we do not have anyone who brings physical limitations a la PJC or Dusan unless you count Hazzard in a limited role.

Green is easily our best on ball defender, IMO. Getting him, Nico and Nnaji up to speed on weakside help and rotations is a major goal that could make us a much better team.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Just a reminder that there will be games that our freshmen play like freshmen.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote:Just a reminder that there will be games that our freshmen play like freshmen.
Which is why the defense needs improvement.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Talk to me on December 15th and then I’ll give you a tourney prediction for this team. We will learn a lot going to Baylor and welcoming in Gonzaga in an 8 day stretch.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Just a reminder that there will be games that our freshmen play like freshmen.
And why it's good we have an experienced guy to take over for each one of the freshmen.

Nnaji can give way to Jeter, Gettings and Lee if Zeke's off.

Green's minutes can go to Doutrive, Smith and Hazzard.

Baker can take over for Nico.

Stuff happens, but we have experienced depth to cover for freshmen moments and/or foul trouble. I sort of like it like that, where we sub depth and experience when youth and talent struggles.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
And why it's good we have an experienced guy to take over for each one of the freshmen.

Stuff happens, but we have experienced depth to cover for freshmen moments and/or foul trouble. I sort of like it like that, where we sub depth and experience when youth and talent struggles.

I get it, we are 2 games into the season and I'm fine where the team is at.

With that said, there are some issues that need addressing. It's games like this Thursday where hopefully some younger guys and guys who aren't high anymore, can get some run and flow as a team.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Defense of the three will be THE major issue for this team...last game Ill hit three 3's in the first 4 minutes...after that they shot 12 more and only hit 2...so...adjustment...pack line's achilles heel is the three and weak side slacking cover that leads to fouls...which this team demonstrated...BUT they are young and these next two games are mostly about these issues AND learning what a foul is in college (as well as Pac 12 which is a different beast as well)...
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I also want to see how this team handles a road game in a hostile environment. I'm as excited as everyone else but we are just 2 games into the season so we are WIP until we check off a few more boxes.

But have to admit I'm a touch giddy to think what this team will become come March.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

EastCoastCat wrote:I also want to see how this team handles a road game in a hostile environment. I'm as excited as everyone else but we are just 2 games into the season so we are WIP until we check off a few more boxes.

But have to admit I'm a touch giddy to think what this team will become come March.

This team has a different feel for sure. The whole season has a different feel. Maybe that will last or maybe not, cause of course this is Arizona basketball.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Olsondogg wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:I also want to see how this team handles a road game in a hostile environment. I'm as excited as everyone else but we are just 2 games into the season so we are WIP until we check off a few more boxes.

This team has a different feel for sure. The whole season has a different feel. Maybe that will last or maybe not, cause of course this is Arizona basketball.
Agreed, and it's about time good fortune befalls this program and CSM.

We sure fucking deserve it imo.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Nico has the open court style of Luke Ridnour, but seems to see the floor even better.

As team defense improves, I’m curious to see Koloko get an opportunity. I bet he sees significant minutes against SJSU.

We’re going to be a much better team in January than we are now.

Just stay healthy!!!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Olsondogg wrote:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

I get it, we are 2 games into the season and I'm fine where the team is at.

With that said, there are some issues that need addressing. It's games like this Thursday where hopefully some younger guys and guys who aren't high anymore, can get some run and flow as a team.
I agree. That's a reason why one the things that makes me optimistic is that the vibe seems to be working hard, being unselfish and being open to learning.

I feel like none of our issues are incurable. How well we work to cure them...you never know that part.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I don't know that anyone in the country has put together a more convincing win than we delivered against Illinois. The first half was tight, but in total we thoroughly controlled both sides of the ball holding the Illini to 0.90ppp while we put up 1.17ppp. Rebounds, free throws, assists, steals, blocks, scoring... it all went our way against a quality / top 50 opponent.

There are teams with tougher wins, but they were ugly wins - Duke and Kentucky got some good W's in the first week but they looked sloppy as all hell. UNC looks deeply flawed with Cole Anthony taking 24 shots a game. Washington beat Baylor in game where neither team looked even decent on offense. Ohio St the same over Cincy. Texas beat Purdue but gave up 17 offensive boards and allowed Purdue to shoot 50% from deep. Florida State beat a Florida team that just looked bad.

I'd take our performance over every other team in the country. Louisville's win at Miami was the closet in all around excellence. I like what Oregon is doing though they haven't played a threatening team yet (let's see how they do tonight against Memphis).

It's early, but this is a team that was supposed to need time to figure it out. Right now we're playing better basketball than the majority of the Final Four favorites.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PAC-12 Arizona is replaying the Illinois game tonight at 6.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

azgreg wrote:PAC-12 Arizona is replaying the Illinois game tonight at 6.
5:30 - 7:00pm is what I'm seeing
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

YoDeFoe wrote:
azgreg wrote:PAC-12 Arizona is replaying the Illinois game tonight at 6.
5:30 - 7:00pm is what I'm seeing
You're right. My mistake.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Rewatching this... (thank you azgreg)

You know what stands out to me? Dylan Smith taking questionable shots and making poor passes. Doutrive absorbing some of those minutes should be a plus for us (...let me tell you something you don't know).

The three point and penetration defensive struggles from the first half are completely forgivable to me - the Illinois guards are truly elite in those two areas. We should have been prepared for it but it's okay to struggle against it and adjust.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

YoDeFoe wrote:Rewatching this... (thank you azgreg)

You know what stands out to me? Dylan Smith taking questionable shots and making poor passes. Doutrive absorbing some of those minutes should be a plus for us (...let me tell you something you don't know).

The three point and penetration defensive struggles from the first half are completely forgivable to me - the Illinois guards are truly elite in those two areas. We should have been prepared for it but it's okay to struggle against it and adjust.
Yep, but to his credit Smith really harassed Ayo Dosunmu and I noticed Miller put him in to curb any momentum they might get from him...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Kentucky was damn near the unanimous number one and they just lost a game they were favored in by 25 points to Evansville. We look like fucking roses compared to the top ten right now and I'm going to blame Larry Scott and the Pac-12 for no one knowing about it. The broadcast crew were raving about how much credit Arizona should get and that Illinois still looks like a tournament team despite the loss... and the media response is "but how are we to know if Arizona is good or if Illinois is bad?" Hint: watch the game.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

YoDeFoe wrote:Kentucky was damn near the unanimous number one and they just lost a game they were favored in by 25 points to Evansville. We look like fucking roses compared to the top ten right now and I'm going to blame Larry Scott and the Pac-12 for no one knowing about it. The broadcast crew were raving about how much credit Arizona should get and that Illinois still looks like a tournament team despite the loss... and the media response is "but how are we to know if Arizona is good or if Illinois is bad?" Hint: watch the game.
Bilas and whassisface just gave us and the Pac in general some credit. Let’s see if we can not stub our own toes during the non-conf season.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Kentucky was damn near the unanimous number one and they just lost a game they were favored in by 25 points to Evansville. We look like fucking roses compared to the top ten right now and I'm going to blame Larry Scott and the Pac-12 for no one knowing about it. The broadcast crew were raving about how much credit Arizona should get and that Illinois still looks like a tournament team despite the loss... and the media response is "but how are we to know if Arizona is good or if Illinois is bad?" Hint: watch the game.
Bilas and whassisface just gave us and the Pac in general some credit. Let’s see if we can not stub our own toes during the non-conf season.
Nope. Didn't happen. Fake News.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
He just gave Zeke Nnaji credit, and didn't even pronounce his name correctly.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ya Bilas said he was blown away at how good Nnaji was - let’s see how Oregon responds here.

Wiseman will be a factor in the second half.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Glad Oregon won, bummer that New Mexico State just lost.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Pac is back. AZ, Oregon and UW will all be in contention for protected seeds this year.

Loving this.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Colorado and USC are pretty good too - Oregon State isn’t too shabby either
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:Colorado and USC are pretty good too - Oregon State isn’t too shabby either
It's exciting. Don't wanna get too optimistic too quickly, but barring a surprise, I'm looking for the Pac to get at least five bids this year. At least.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

97cats wrote:Colorado and USC are pretty good too - Oregon State isn’t too shabby either
The Tinkle family going to put out some hits this years on opposing players that have the potential to ruin this season for the conference. Such a dirty family.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UofAlum05 wrote:
The Tinkle family going to put out some hits this years on opposing players that have the potential to ruin this season for the conference. Such a dirty family.
Rumor has it that their last name is actually “Urinate” but that they changed it to the less-technical sounding “Tinkle” to make it easier to remember and to spare the family embarrassment.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:
Rumor has it that their last name is actually “Urinate” but that they changed it to the less-technical sounding “Tinkle” to make it easier to remember and to spare the family embarrassment.
Being named Tres Tinkle makes him a French Tinkler, right?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

san jose st game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Wiseman dropped the lawsuit and now Memphis is holding him out of games. If the NCAA has any issues with this won't they have to forfeit this season for playing an ineligible player?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

per Scheer - Devonaire will play tonight.

per me - 101-40
prh

Post by prh »

Jefe wrote:Wiseman dropped the lawsuit and now Memphis is holding him out of games. If the NCAA has any issues with this won't they have to forfeit this season for playing an ineligible player?
Only the games he played in
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

The genius Seth has us as a 2nd weekend team! And that’s a big surprise. And Washington is a final four team. :?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chase Jeter is tied with Ira Lee for lowest usage rate on the team and I did not see that happening coming into the season
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Any nationally televised games for Arizona this year?
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

enfuego wrote:Any nationally televised games for Arizona this year?
Are they still putting the Final Four on National tv?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Do you really want to talk about nationally televised games
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yeah what’s up with jeter

Shrinking from the spotlight
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Is this what your smack talk has been reduced to?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.