let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '20

Post by ChooChooCat »

Just land Walton and losing Puff means nothing.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Just land Walton and losing Puff means nothing.
Yup. Walton seems like a good fit for Miller’s more recent MO - low ego, hard worker, multi-year, good shooter. Really hoping we can close on him.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Just land Walton and losing Puff means nothing.

Or a healthy Williams returns :D
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

2020 wing Jaylen Clark has reopened his recruiting after previously looking like a USC lean... Compton Magic kid, teammate of Dalen Terry. Maybe a back-up option if we miss on Miller and Walton?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm not sure if BW will return to 100%, but I do think we'll see him play more games for AZ.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

YoDeFoe wrote:2020 wing Jaylen Clark has reopened his recruiting after previously looking like a USC lean... Compton Magic kid, teammate of Dalen Terry. Maybe a back-up option if we miss on Miller and Walton?
Sounds a lot like Rawle with less of a jump shot.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:2020 wing Jaylen Clark has reopened his recruiting after previously looking like a USC lean... Compton Magic kid, teammate of Dalen Terry. Maybe a back-up option if we miss on Miller and Walton?
I fully expect Arizona to get involved depending what happens with Kerwin Walton.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Sounds a lot like Rawle with less of a jump shot.
A little less bulldog and a little more finesse in his offensive game, I think. He'd prefer to lay it up with a reverse than dunk through contact. Jumper is probably about the same level. But yeah good comp from my limited read - sturdy built, nice size and length, good not great athlete, tough two way player.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Who are we expecting next?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

84Cat wrote:Who are we expecting next?
Barring something completely out of left field we won't sign anybody else in the fall. You'll have to wait until April for the next signing.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Barring something completely out of left field we won't sign anybody else in the fall. You'll have to wait until April for the next signing.
No expectation of commitments before April? Rawle is the "latest" commitment I can remember and that was early March. Although I'm remembering now that Kansas built the key pieces of their 2019 class over this past summer. I know the NBA Draft withdrawal deadline is May 29th but I'd like to believe that we'll have clarity of who among the three freshmen is going pro before then.

Choo: is it that, waiting for the rest of the landscape to shake out (other school rosters), or being patient on an NOA (or something I'm missing)?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

The genius Seth has us as a 2nd weekend team! And Washington is a final four team. :?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
No expectation of commitments before April? Rawle is the "latest" commitment I can remember and that was early March. Although I'm remembering now that Kansas built the key pieces of their 2019 class over this past summer. I know the NBA Draft withdrawal deadline is May 29th but I'd like to believe that we'll have clarity of who among the three freshmen is going pro before then.

Choo: is it that, waiting for the rest of the landscape to shake out (other school rosters), or being patient on an NOA (or something I'm missing)?
Oh we'll get commitments before April, they just won't sign a NLI until April, because all our targets will make their commitments after the fall signing period is over.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

CJ Holmes just tweeted that he heard we may be the favorite for Adam Miller....
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:CJ Holmes just tweeted that he heard we may be the favorite for Adam Miller....
New guy on the beat trying to make his mark. We"ll see.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

To the extent you can tell from highlights, Miller appears to be an excellent prospect. He would add some much needed scoring punch from day one.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RaisingArizona wrote:To the extent you can tell from highlights, Miller appears to be an excellent prospect. He would add some much needed scoring punch from day one.
Super fluid, nose for scoring, nice length - has a great "fuck you" factor to his game. Seems to have good BBIQ and can pass well from it. Size and agility to be a switch defender on the perimeter. Hopefully (if we get him) he's a fit culturally; we're spoiled as can be with the chemistry this season.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I think even if he commits to Illinois tomorrow it won't be a done deal by any stretch.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:I think even if he commits to Illinois tomorrow it won't be a done deal by any stretch.
Illinois insiders seem to think he isn't going there unless Ayo Dosunmu leaves after this year, which....idk Ayo definitely doesn't look like a first round pick at this point in time.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Speaking of recruiting, should we take it seriously that 3 rivals guys picked Ziaire Williams to Arizona (including one USC to Arizona flip) about a week ago?

https://rivals.com/content/prospects/20 ... ams-208765" target="_blank

In this article it says "His most recent visit was to Arizona and from the latest behind the scenes talk, the Wildcats have really improved their chances."

https://rivals.com/news/early-signing-p ... le-seniors" target="_blank

One of those who picked Williams to Arizona also recently picked Arizona for someone named Kerwin Walton yesterday
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Speaking of recruiting, should we take it seriously that 3 rivals guys picked Ziaire Williams to Arizona (including one USC to Arizona flip) about a week ago?

In this article it says "His most recent visit was to Arizona and from the latest behind the scenes talk, the Wildcats have really improved their chances."

One of those who picked Williams to Arizona also recently picked Arizona for someone named Kerwin Walton yesterday

Borzello also picked Zaire to Arizona. With all this new movement is something going down soon? Choo?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Speaking of recruiting, should we take it seriously that 3 rivals guys picked Ziaire Williams to Arizona (including one USC to Arizona flip) about a week ago?

Walton is the 2 guard from Zeke's high school in MN (Hopkins) that replaces our need for Puff Johnson now that Johnson is set to UNC.

FWIW we have zero predictions in our favor for Zaire on the 247 crystal ball - though nothing has changed there in over a month (in contrast to the recent movement seen in the Rivals picks).

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution ... edictions/" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:

Borzello also picked Zaire to Arizona. With all this new movement is something going down soon? Choo?
Ziaire won't be announcing any time soon. No one knows exactly when he'll pull the trigger as the guy is simply in no rush, he's the type of dude that his main 4 schools (Arizona, USC, Furd, Oregon) would kick somebody off a scholarship for, but Arizona is in a VERY good spot at the moment.

As far as Kerwin Walton goes no one for sure knows, he's been very smart about his recruitment, but the feel is that Arizona is in the lead. Cal and Texas are putting in a lot of effort, so it's still very to be determined. He'll commit somewhere by the end of this month or early next month.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

If we land Terry, Walton, Williams and Miller then it is just more proof that Sean really is unparalleled in recruiting.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:If we land Terry, Walton, Williams and Miller then it is just more proof that Sean really is unparalleled in recruiting.
I think a class of Terry, Walton, Williams, and Frank Anselem is a very likely class at the moment (pending on sanctions). If BWill doesn't look realistic for next year then add a grad transfer PG.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:If we land Terry, Walton, Williams and Miller then it is just more proof that Sean really is unparalleled in recruiting.
I think a class of Terry, Walton, Williams, and Frank Anselem is a very likely class at the moment (pending on sanctions). If BWill doesn't look realistic for next year then add a grad transfer PG.
Crazy how much PT will open up after this season given how much turnover we've had the previous two seasons.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ben Mathurin, a Wing from Canada is visiting this weekend, he's legit.

https://247sports.com/player/ben-mathurin-46086272/" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The WAZZU coach using the St Mary’s model and going international. Finding value where you can
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:The WAZZU coach using the St Mary’s model and going international. Finding value where you can
Can't blame him, hell much like our Australia 2021 guys it's between us and Baylor.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

In this craziness that is college basketball recruiting I just can’t think of a coach I would rather have than Miller. Hoping he stays for another 10 years
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Here is to hoping the Witch strikes again tonight.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Ben Mathurin, a Wing from Canada is visiting this weekend, he's legit.

Btw this is per Evan Daniels. I never even knew this was in the works. Arizona and Baylor being real sneaky with this one.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Whats up with Mojave King? Isnt he supposed to be a top notch international prospect? We still on for him?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Ben Mathurin, a Wing from Canada is visiting this weekend, he's legit.

Btw this is per Evan Daniels. I never even knew this was in the works. Arizona and Baylor being real sneaky with this one.
Any guarantee that he's better than the Belgium kid?

BTW this article is possibly the only one that exists about this kid, from July of this year

https://247sports.com/college/basketbal ... 133671972/" target="_blank

"Ben Mathurin, SF, Canada:
The other breakout candidate for the event was Mathurin, primarily for his Sunday morning performance where he went 7-for-9 from three and scored 36 points. To go with the threes, Mathurin mixed in drives to the rim, made plays in transition and competed on both ends. Mathurin is also tremendous athlete with a lot of potential on the defensive end. While he didn’t score it at the same rate during the other event games, it was a sign of what Mathurin, a 6-foot-6 wing, is capable of."

And I'm assuming these are Australian kids you're talking about

"Mojave King, SG, Australia:
King has made it clear over the last year that he is one of the world’s top 2021 prospects and built on what has been an extremely impressive several month run this week in Atlanta. He has good size and length for a wing to go with matching athleticism and skill. King’s physical tools and motor make him a tough matchup in transition, while in the halfcourt he is a capable shooter from the perimeter or can use his size, strength and skill to attack the rim. King is one of Australia’s top prospects in the last several years."

"Joshua Giddey, SF, Australia:
Giddy has been evaluated by 247Sports in other settings, but this was his breakout performance. Coaches were salivating on the sideline about his feel for the game, versatility and his passing ability. He’s a crafty prospect that can play with the ball in his hands at nearly 6-foot-7. He’s effective off it, cutting to the rim, and has tremendous touch on his runners. The next step is developing his long-range shot. Giddy scored 58 points, grabbed 28 rebounds, tossed out 22 assists and recorded a dozen steals in six games."
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

I've actually seen more information on him if you use his full name, Bennedict Mathurin, when searching for him. His highlight tape on YouTube is very intriguing. From everything I've read, he looks to be really good. Seems to be one of the top, if not the top, Canadian kid in the class. Should be a top 50ish caliber player.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

azcat49 wrote:The WAZZU coach using the St Mary’s model and going international. Finding value where you can
The Wazzu coach - Kyle Smith - is a stud and we should expect Wazzu to come off the Pac-12 floor (or at the least, raise the floor substantially).

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/ ... ct-will-e/" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

goslingswagg wrote:I've actually seen more information on him if you use his full name, Bennedict Mathurin, when searching for him. His highlight tape on YouTube is very intriguing. From everything I've read, he looks to be really good. Seems to be one of the top, if not the top, Canadian kid in the class. Should be a top 50ish caliber player.
Looks very good indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODRwphSnCM4" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

luteformayor2 wrote:Whats up with Mojave King? Isnt he supposed to be a top notch international prospect? We still on for him?
Yes we are absolutely on him, but he's a 2021 kid.

As far as the difference between him and Thielemans, Mathurin has proven his game against major talent, Thielemans was the flyer of flyers for a desperate program. They're at two completely different levels.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:Whats up with Mojave King? Isnt he supposed to be a top notch international prospect? We still on for him?
Yes we are absolutely on him, but he's a 2021 kid.

As far as the difference between him and Thielemans, Mathurin has proven his game against major talent, Thielemans was the flyer of flyers for a desperate program. They're at two completely different levels.
Completely forgot about Omar... is he even on a roster this season? Checked Wright State and Milwaukee and he's not on either.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Google says this a month ago, cant login to view the article. I dont see him on their roster either

Evansville Courier & Press
Get to know the recruits Evansville basketball has recently ... Omar Thielemans: This might be the most eyebrow-raising. Thielemans, a 6-foot-7 Belgian prospect, originally signed to Arizona, but he left the program last ...

edit

https://www.purpleacesfans.com/viewtopi ... =13&t=1811" target="_blank

Omar Kojo Thielemans (@ThielemansO) tweeted at 7:59 PM on Wed, Sep 25, 2019:
Blessed to receive a new offer from the University of Evansville. #Slowgrind @UEAthletics_MBB

chad lindskog (@chadlindskog) tweeted at 10:26 AM on Thu, Sep 26, 2019:
The Aces have offered Omar Thielemans, a Belgian 6-7 college sophomore who originally signed to Arizona but left last fall before playing a game. He then transferred to Milwaukee at the semester break (didn't play) and is now in juco.

Omar was highly regarded when he signed with Arizona (4 Star). Not sure why he left there. From what I have read he has visions of playing professionally. Also not sure why he left Milwaukee...(perhaps grades???) He came to AZ with a reputation of being very athletic and a great passer, but needed to work on jump shot.

He didn’t make it to the Arizona roster as a charity case. He obviously has skills that I’m sure would fit well into the Evansville program.
Why did he leave Arizona? There could be a lot of reasons. However, one could revolve around the ncaa investigation into the basketball program. Coaches have been dismissed, players have left and ncaa sanctions have not been finalized. Just last week it was disclosed here that the investigation continues and it was reported that large sums of money was paid to the parents of a foreign student by a shoe company.
Why did he go to Milwaukee and leave so soon? Maybe he made a quick decision to transfer and didn’t do his due diligence being a young kid from Europe. Maybe there were other reasons.
Outside of a point guard, Walter is looking for players between 6-5 to 6-10 that have a multitude of athletic skills and can play all over the floor. They need to run the floor on both offense and defense. One thing I can tell you is that Arizona athletes can run the floor and play defense no matter what their size.

I didn’t see this guy play at Arizona, but if Walter offered I’m on board.

Watch #4 - very impressive.

https://youtu.be/E35YnQcf9G0" target="_blank

1. He left Arizona before the season started and transferred to Milwaukee.
2. Due to transfer, he was forced to sit out and used his redshirt to maintain 4 years of eligibility.
3. Decides to leave Milwaukee but would lose a year of eligibility if he transferred to a D1 school, so he goes Juno to play immediately.

He was a 2018 High School graduate. Signed with Arizona in spring of that year (right before high school ended), but didn’t stay long and transferred in October before official practices started.
He spent the 18-19 season redshirting at Milwaukee so no lost eligibility.
He is playing the 19-20 season at a Juco (1 year of eligibility used)
If he goes D1 after this Juco season, he still has 3 years of eligibility left to use in a 3 year period.

Omar's JUCO team has played four games and it looks like he played in the second one for only a few minutes and didn't record any stats. Not sure what's going on there.

http://www.spctexans.com/sports/mbkb/20 ... _omar_h9ot" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Way to follow that crazy trail to its end... here he is on the South Plains Texans roster... http://www.spctexans.com/sports/mbkb/20 ... _omar_h9ot" target="_blank

...not getting minutes for a JUCO team. Goddamn, what a tumble.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Frank Anselem is a name I haven't read before.

Probably our biggest need will be bigs if the recruiting class lines up like above and the likely returning player's.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

YoDeFoe wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:According to Jake Weingarten, Frank Ansalem is on campus for an official visit right now...seems somewhat out of the blue? Have heard he is likely reclassifying. Not able to find a ton of highlights of him, but we will likely need a big in the 2020 class if Zeke is one-and-done.
Some more info...

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/10/15/ari ... k-anselem/" target="_blank

“Sean Miller is looking for a mobile, athletic big that can run, switch out on defense and move, rebound, defend, and be a presence inside,” Doherty said. “Frank fills a lot of the above boxes.”

Looks like Jordan Brown 2.0 (like, literally looks like him but also similar build and game - mobile, athletic, nice touch - and also a Prolific Prep player). Has a reported 7'4" wingspan though, besting Brown's more limited 7'0" span.

KU, LSU, USC, Oregon, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee all in on him.
Previous comments on Frank Anselem here for reference.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I mean, that's a very good class that puts us in a position to succeed.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
You may have to add Ben Mathurin to the class if the visit goes well this weekend.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
You may have to add Ben Mathurin to the class if the visit goes well this weekend.
My god Miller...the man is an absolute witch....
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Well, you're the boss, so if I have to...
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Miller to Illinois
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Focus is on Mathurin at his position.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Frybry02 wrote:Miller to Illinois
Hey, let's stop with the coach Miller switching jobs rumor mill :D
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.