The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote:You’re all anti-Smith just because you yell every time he start dribbling, and then keeps dribbling, and then kind of wobbles and turns the ball over.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

While our defense got Buffalo'd, our half court offense was garbage tonight. A lot of standing around and no penetration.

Doesn't help that Smith doesn't give any spacing to Green who both aren't floor spacers because of the lack of shooting. You can't play both of these guys together imo, they should always be playing the 3 and never the 2.

This team is obviously better in open space, so it's going to be interesting what they'll do when forced to play half court vs better competition.

Oh and we suck rebounding
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Miler says in the post presser that he's pissed at the turnovers and is going to look at making at change to the starting line. Please let that mean Smith sits.
prh

Post by prh »

YoDeFoe wrote:Miler says in the post presser that he's pissed at the turnovers and is going to look at making at change to the starting line. Please let that mean Smith sits.
Would seem reasonable that he's been waiting for an easy moment to swap Smith for DD, and that was provided tonight
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Nico Mannion in the wild

(Irish feel free to run with this :D )
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

My thoughts.

1. I'm ok with last night. Sometimes you need games like that to show you the ways forward. SDSU was a solid team that played with effort and aggression and exposed flaws. That's good.

2. We have an issue getting bodies on people when a shot goes up. We were getting drilled on the glass for a bit, and it was all because when a shot went up, SDSU players had free run. You need to body someone so that longer rebounds aren't in a scrum. We were getting inside position, but then not expanding to body up on them.

3. Our defensive execution is lagging. You saw it most notably in giving up the two straight out of bounds dunks. Zeke picked up bad fouls by blowing the traps on the side pick and roll. He trapped too high (too far to midcourt) and let the ballhandler split the trap. They got a minimum of 2 fouls and 2 easy baskets (including one lob dunk) out of Zeke being too high.

4. Our seniors haven't been seniors so far. Smith is Smith, but Jeter disappointed with another pedestrian night last night. You want your seniors driving the energy and intensity to meet a challenge like last night, not just running around out there like some randos.

5. Turnovers. You just cannot have 12 turnovers in a first half. They weren't because SDSU was playing high pressure. We just looked like we showed up not mentally or physically ready.

6. We won. In a rough night, you always want to see that. The next test is how we work on issues.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Really disappointed we got dominated in second chance points. They simply were just playing harder than we were
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:Really disappointed we got dominated in second chance points. They simply were just playing harder than we were
Actually, I was ok with it after the lethargic start. We were down 15-8 on the glass at one point and wound up winning on the glass 32-30.

Once we pulled it together a bit, we had a 24-15 advantage, which is fine. It was just coming out super flat, and we saw the fallout in just about all the areas of the game.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

prh wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Miler says in the post presser that he's pissed at the turnovers and is going to look at making at change to the starting line. Please let that mean Smith sits.
Would seem reasonable that he's been waiting for an easy moment to swap Smith for DD, and that was provided tonight
I may be crazy, but I didn’t have any with most of Smiths shot selection last night. I mean he only shot 5 times. Green on the other hand, he lead the team in attempts and most of them were bad. Baker pops out as well.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So you have to wonder how this teams handles Miller’s comments. They have been free wheeling mostly through the first 5 games and 4 of them were great.

Do they start hesitating on open 3’s and looking at the bench when they miss or start forcing the ball inside and turnovers grow larger?

I thought we hurried done shots and there was some hero ball in that I will make this three but overall I was more disappointed with being out hustled.

I hope we keep the tempo high and just move the ball better from side to side
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:So you have to wonder how this teams handles Miller’s comments. They have been free wheeling mostly through the first 5 games and 4 of them were great.

Do they start hesitating on open 3’s and looking at the bench when they miss or start forcing the ball inside and turnovers grow larger?

I thought we hurried done shots and there was some hero ball in that I will make this three but overall I was more disappointed with being out hustled.

We had 12 turnovers in the first half. That's an awful showing, and I think Miller is correct that anything leading to that has to stop.

The crazy part was we shot 14 threes too. We weren't penetrating, and were still turning it over at an insane pace. In the second half, both the 3's and turnovers tailed off a lot.

I think Miller's comments are more about how the team has to think. Aggressive offense isn't firing a 3 the first chance you get. It's attacking to get a good shot.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hope you are right Spiff and Miller doesn’t make our Thoroughbreds into plow horses. I want to see the spurt of death and the second half Kansas team and that NCAA game vs Duke team
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:Hope you are right Spiff and Miller doesn’t make our Thoroughbreds into plow horses. I want to see the spurt of death and the second half Kansas team and that NCAA game vs Duke team
When we corrected things a bit, we scored 42 points in the second vs 29 in the first. I think that's what you strive for.

If you have 12 to's in a half, the only death spurts you see are the opponent killing you. I really do think it had nothing to do with pace. Fast or slow, you have to play smart, and we weren't.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
azcat49 wrote:So you have to wonder how this teams handles Miller’s comments. They have been free wheeling mostly through the first 5 games and 4 of them were great.

We had 12 turnovers in the first half. That's an awful showing, and I think Miller is correct that anything leading to that has to stop.

The crazy part was we shot 14 threes too. We weren't penetrating, and were still turning it over at an insane pace. In the second half, both the 3's and turnovers tailed off a lot.

I think Miller's comments are more about how the team has to think. Aggressive offense isn't firing a 3 the first chance you get. It's attacking to get a good shot.
Re: Attacking... Miller commented that he wants Nico to be aggressive and noted that the dunk was an example of that. So yeah I think we should expect Miller to demand us to be more penetrating and physical rather than taking early shouts after a couple passes around the perimeter.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Re: Attacking... Miller commented that he wants Nico to be aggressive and noted that the dunk was an example of that. So yeah I think we should expect Miller to demand us to be more penetrating and physical rather than taking early shouts after a couple passes around the perimeter.
Yeah. Good aggression is attacking the defense. Bad aggression is jacking up the first shot you can find.

If you're on and nailing shots, maybe you are more aggressive pulling the trigger. That was clearly not the case in the first half. If you just keep pulling and hoping they begin to fall...that's not much of a plan.

Also, there just really wasn't much correlation between our shot selection or pace and the turnovers. The turnovers were really just a lot of unforced bad decisionmaking.

You saw an effective modification out of Green in the second half. He took a single attack dribble and knocked down midrange J's because the 3 wasn't falling. That's how you want to adjust. Get into the D without just going out of control into a crowd.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Interesting looking at the minutes last night:
Nico 34
Green 31
Nnaji 21
Chase 21
Smith 20
DD 19
Gettings 16
Baker 15
Ira 13
Hazzard 10

Surprised Smith and DD played as much as they did when they both seemed to be struggling. We were a better team clearly when baker was on the floor. Hazzard also. I guess with DD gone now those minutes go to Baker and Hazzard...maybe not a terrible thing?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

billk78 wrote:Interesting looking at the minutes last night:
Nico 34
Green 31
Nnaji 21
Chase 21
Smith 20
DD 19
Gettings 16
Baker 15
Ira 13
Hazzard 10

Surprised Smith and DD played as much as they did when they both seemed to be struggling. We were a better team clearly when baker was on the floor. Hazzard also. I guess with DD gone now those minutes go to Baker and Hazzard...maybe not a terrible thing?

I think we all hoped that Doutrive would be the player who would get right between the ears and eventually take Smith's minutes. He certainly has more physical talent. But the mental aspect is often overlooked. And Doutrive simply doesn't understand the concept. Unfortunately, that means Smith is less likely to have reduced minutes. I'm hoping Baker moves into that role at the #2 position.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Ideally Baker gets fully healthy and looks more like
Nico 30+
Green 30+
Nnaji 30+
Baker 20+
Chase 20
Gettings 15
Lee 15
Hazzard 10-15
Smith 10-15
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Devonaire is better with the ball in his hands but Miller isn't going to trust him to with the rock yet. He's too wild and out of control like Smith.

His game really isn't really suited to be off ball

At this point start Baker and have Smith and Hazzard come off the bench. When Nico is out, Baker is running the team.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Devonaire is better with the ball in his hands but Miller isn't going to trust him to with the rock yet. He's too wild and out of control like Smith.

His game really isn't really suited to be off ball

At this point start Baker and have Smith and Hazzard come off the bench. When Nico is out, Baker is running the team.
When both Smith and DD were on the floor it was very sloppy. Both were too out of control.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

baycat93 wrote:Ideally Baker gets fully healthy and looks more like
Nico 30+
Green 30+
Nnaji 30+
Baker 20+
Chase 20
Gettings 15
Lee 15
Hazzard 10-15
Smith 10-15
I didnt take into account that the lesser minutes for Baker were probably from him still coming back from injury. I think you're likely right about that.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

This is going to sound like the most revisionist history, like the common "we didn't want him" mumble after a recruiting loss, and it was not a safe space to say these things before...

so...

I have never been that enamored by Doutrive. Damn straight he was fun to watch. But the talk of his lack of team game and frustrating teammates always clouded the occasional moment of brilliance. I felt like he became deified by our fanbase because he hinted of skills we lacked last year and he was the first post-FBI signee.

I am also not that much of a Dylan Smith hater. Yes, I cringe when he tries to drive or pass the ball. But at the Illinois game, I was surrounded by a group of 4 (2 behind, 2 next to me) dumbass "duuude"s who, in between high pitched, stoned cackling and repeating of their super-hot takes (as well as one guy shouting "Oh My Fucking God" before saying anything), wrecked my ears with boos and "he sucks, bro" shouts (followed by high pitched cackles) every time Dylan touched the ball. He shot well, made a great baseline one handed pass, and was, for a bit, the only perimeter player playing defense, yet on they went. I want him to do well, and I do think having a point guard goes a long way for him. He can catch and shoot, defend, and if late rotation allows for it, drive a bit or pass if the man recovering leaves someone wide open. He has not been a hot mess this year. His defense has justified his placement on the floor beside a team that can score without him.

(it feels good to finally say all that)
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EVCat wrote:This is going to sound like the most revisionist history, like the common "we didn't want him" mumble after a recruiting loss, and it was not a safe space to say these things before...

so...

I have never been that enamored by Doutrive. Damn straight he was fun to watch. But the talk of his lack of team game and frustrating teammates always clouded the occasional moment of brilliance. I felt like he became deified by our fanbase because he hinted of skills we lacked last year and he was the first post-FBI signee.

I am also not that much of a Dylan Smith hater. Yes, I cringe when he tries to drive or pass the ball. But at the Illinois game, I was surrounded by a group of 4 (2 behind, 2 next to me) dumbass "duuude"s who, in between high pitched, stoned cackling and repeating of their super-hot takes (as well as one guy shouting "Oh My Fucking God" before saying anything), wrecked my ears with boos and "he sucks, bro" shouts (followed by high pitched cackles) every time Dylan touched the ball. He shot well, made a great baseline one handed pass, and was, for a bit, the only perimeter player playing defense, yet on they went. I want him to do well, and I do think having a point guard goes a long way for him. He can catch and shoot, defend, and if late rotation allows for it, drive a bit or pass if the man recovering leaves someone wide open. He has not been a hot mess this year. His defense has justified his placement on the floor beside a team that can score without him.

This is awesome - I appreciate the candor.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

EVCat wrote:This is going to sound like the most revisionist history, like the common "we didn't want him" mumble after a recruiting loss, and it was not a safe space to say these things before...

so...

Miller is using Smith because he's a reliable defender (he should be, he's a senior). That's leverage against younger players who have far more talent but are learning to play D. As the season moves forward and the younger players learn to play defense, Smith's minutes are likely going to be reduced. Smith can expedite that by making poor offensive decisions and taking quick shots. I think Miller alluded to that in his post-game presser.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

so...

I get where you're coming from with DD. If he truly has trouble meshing, the remainder of his game is decent, but not so much so that you'll stomach issues that come with it.

He has a knack for offensive rebounds, but I'm not certain I see a lot of other things that stand out with his games. He has defensive potential, but that hasn't manifested itself yet. Offensively, his J is still a bit suspect and his dribble-drive game has too much turnover potential.

So I feel like it's on him to buy in. If he does, awesome. If he doesn't, we move on with Smith, Baker and Hazzard. Baker's waiver gave us flexibility we didn't have before.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

so...

I get where you're coming from with DD. If he truly has trouble meshing, the remainder of his game is decent, but not so much so that you'll stomach issues that come with it.

He has a knack for offensive rebounds, but I'm not certain I see a lot of other things that stand out with his games. He has defensive potential, but that hasn't manifested itself yet. Offensively, his J is still a bit suspect and his dribble-drive game has too much turnover potential.

So I feel like it's on him to buy in. If he does, awesome. If he doesn't, we move on with Smith, Baker and Hazzard. Baker's waiver gave us flexibility we didn't have before.
Hard to buy in when he's already been kicked off the team for not buying in lol
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, so long DD. Enough of your drama already. Let's move forward with Baker and Smith at the 2.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

zonagrad wrote: I think Miller alluded to that in his post-game presser.
See...I thought Miller was shooting straight at DD and Josh with that comment.

But I totally agree that would be Smith's path to the bench early.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I just a personal behind-the-scenes tour of the facilities, just for me alone. With the Doutrive thing, the players don't seem phased in the slightest.

On the court at McKale, they lowered the baskets and let me hang on the rims. I fondled the nets.

Is it okay that I typed that out loud?

I also got to go inside the "Experience Room" they use to recruit the players. It's a panoramic wall of video and sound, and a visceral display of all things Arizona Basketball.

I also got to run around on the football field.

They all thought I was weird. Someone in the know had to explain to one of the interns that I'm always like this.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Moving past DD...

Re: Smith, I think he's best suited at the SF position where he's expected to do less ball handling. He simply doesn't have the offensive BBIQ to be a reliable secondary ball handler. He has surprised me a few times so far this season, and I'm rooting for him, but I'm not putting my hopes in the Dylan Smith basket. Additionally I wonder if Smith feels like he has more of a greenlight on offense because of his starting SG spot. Get him into a more limited and focused 3&D role.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: I get where you're coming from with DD. If he truly has trouble meshing, the remainder of his game is decent, but not so much so that you'll stomach issues that come with it.
Exactly. I see this as Miller having zero willingness to fuck with the excellent chemistry of this team for the 8th/9th man. Baker's emergence and improving health and Hazzard's experience make that totally unnecessary.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

EVCat wrote:

Possibly. I think Miller stated something along the lines of, "changing the starting lineup." I can't see Josh being the guy who's benched despite his o-fer from 3. He still recovered to have a decent game. And DD doesn't start -- even though he took bad shots. That leaves Smith. The lone three he made was at the outset of the game and was NBA range -- and frankly it was not a good shot to take even though it went down because it was early in the shot clock.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

so...

Hard to buy in when he's already been kicked off the team for not buying in lol
I've been working for a bit and missed that. Damn.

Oh well, I guess question answered there. We move on with Baker, Smith and Hazzard. If Doutrive couldn't last longer than 5 games, it wasn't in the cards.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:

See, Josh brings so much energy and activity on D, I can't see him dropping out of the rotation. I'm in love with him as a defender.

A lot of our second half keyed on him making plays on D and being smarter on O. As long as Josh is that good on D and semi-coachable on O, just coach him. He is easily our best defender.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:

See, Josh brings so much energy and activity on D, I can't see him dropping out of the rotation. I'm in love with him as a defender.

A lot of our second half keyed on him making plays on D and being smarter on O. As long as Josh is that good on D and semi-coachable on O, just coach him. He is easily our best defender.
Also Josh plays so well with Nico and also we really need Josh to do well this year to reach our ceiling and LASTLY we want Josh to blow up and head to the NBA as another example of what Arizona can do for star recruits.

Josh won't sit. Question now is if Smith sits for Baker.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Also Josh plays so well with Nico and also we really need Josh to do well this year to reach our ceiling and LASTLY we want Josh to blow up and head to the NBA as another example of what Arizona can do for star recruits.

I mean, maybe he took some shots that he should have held off of, but he also had 3 steals and 2 turnovers.

In a game turnovers were killing us, that's no small thing. Miller wants D, and I don't think it's close in terms of who our best defender is, even when is still learning.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
EVCat wrote:

I mean, maybe he took some shots that he should have held off of, but he also had 3 steals and 2 turnovers.

In a game turnovers were killing us, that's no small thing. Miller wants D, and I don't think it's close in terms of who our best defender is, even when is still learning.
Shooting 3s early in the shot clock is definitely something Josh needs to work on. He needs to understand the flow of a game, and that getting everyone involved helps the entire team. Once he understands the balance of a well oiled offense his game will become a game of beauty. Josh is really good already and it is scary that there is a lot of room for improvement.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Nico Mannion in the wild

(Irish feel free to run with this :D )
Here you go - hopefully this works:

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I love you Irish

(And I appreciate that extra drizzle on MS at the end)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That is the content I’m here for.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh man, that is great Irish. Well done
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fantastic! That embedded image didn't work for me, but this one does if anyone is having the same issue:

https://imgur.com/gm42KB5" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Wow.

Just Wow.

That makes me about as happy as I imagine I'll be when we finally break through the to FF.

Well Done Irish!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Fantastic! That embedded image didn't work for me, but this one does if anyone is having the same issue:

https://imgur.com/gm42KB5" target="_blank
Thank you for the link Merk. It's fantastic indeed.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wished the cat would have dropped a butt nugget on MS as he flew over him
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Wished the cat would have dropped a butt nugget on MS as he flew over him
Irish?
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Wished the cat would have dropped a butt nugget on MS as he flew over him
Irish?
I will see if I can make that happen. hahahaha
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Penn beat Providence 81-75, they've also lost to Northwestern a really bad team.

There goes any possibility of a quality win at the Wooden Legacy

Winning the tournament won't help us at all but any loss will really hurt

This tournament is trash, should never go back
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Longhorned wrote:I just a personal behind-the-scenes tour of the facilities, just for me alone. With the Doutrive thing, the players don't seem phased in the slightest.

On the court at McKale, they lowered the baskets and let me hang on the rims. I fondled the nets.

Is it okay that I typed that out loud?

I also got to go inside the "Experience Room" they use to recruit the players. It's a panoramic wall of video and sound, and a visceral display of all things Arizona Basketball.

I also got to run around on the football field.

They all thought I was weird. Someone in the know had to explain to one of the interns that I'm always like this.
I love this post. I don't know how much you got to see and/or hear....but do you get the impression the chemistry is real good with this team off the court?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Penn beat Providence 81-75, they've also lost to Northwestern a really bad team.

There goes any possibility of a quality win at the Wooden Legacy

Winning the tournament won't help us at all but any loss will really hurt

This tournament is trash, should never go back
Just win, baby!!!

Bear Down!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman