The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by Longhorned »

billk78 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I just a personal behind-the-scenes tour of the facilities, just for me alone. With the Doutrive thing, the players don't seem phased in the slightest.

On the court at McKale, they lowered the baskets and let me hang on the rims. I fondled the nets.

Is it okay that I typed that out loud?

I also got to go inside the "Experience Room" they use to recruit the players. It's a panoramic wall of video and sound, and a visceral display of all things Arizona Basketball.

I also got to run around on the football field.

They all thought I was weird. Someone in the know had to explain to one of the interns that I'm always like this.
I love this post. I don't know how much you got to see and/or hear....but do you get the impression the chemistry is real good with this team off the court?
Going back to last year, Justin Coleman, Brandon Williams, Ira, Jeter, and Smith are awesome. I mean, just stand-out people. So was Luther by the way. You take them and add Zeke, who is this really nice guy who hangs out with the team managers and student assistants. Green and Koloko are quiet, but in a really relaxed way, and definitely with the group and not at all aloof. I’ve seen Doutrive quite a bit, but he’s always been alone. Outside of McKale, I’ve never seen Nico, Baker, Gettings, or any of the others.

I don’t know if this means anything, but the Athletics staff and interns LOVE these guys. They’re the ones behind the scenes all the time, so yeah, it’s a good sign.

And just my impression, but Smith is exceptional. Really funny, too. People here wouldn’t be so exasperated by his dribbling if they talked to him off the court. I imagine that in practice and in the locker room, he’s as fully bought in as they come.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

lbsu game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

billk78

Post by billk78 »

Longhorned wrote:
billk78 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I just a personal behind-the-scenes tour of the facilities, just for me alone. With the Doutrive thing, the players don't seem phased in the slightest.

On the court at McKale, they lowered the baskets and let me hang on the rims. I fondled the nets.

Is it okay that I typed that out loud?

I also got to go inside the "Experience Room" they use to recruit the players. It's a panoramic wall of video and sound, and a visceral display of all things Arizona Basketball.

I also got to run around on the football field.

They all thought I was weird. Someone in the know had to explain to one of the interns that I'm always like this.
I love this post. I don't know how much you got to see and/or hear....but do you get the impression the chemistry is real good with this team off the court?
Going back to last year, Justin Coleman, Brandon Williams, Ira, Jeter, and Smith are awesome. I mean, just stand-out people. So was Luther by the way. You take them and add Zeke, who is this really nice guy who hangs out with the team managers and student assistants. Green and Koloko are quiet, but in a really relaxed way, and definitely with the group and not at all aloof. I’ve seen Doutrive quite a bit, but he’s always been alone. Outside of McKale, I’ve never seen Nico, Baker, Gettings, or any of the others.

I don’t know if this means anything, but the Athletics staff and interns LOVE these guys. They’re the ones behind the scenes all the time, so yeah, it’s a good sign.

And just my impression, but Smith is exceptional. Really funny, too. People here wouldn’t be so exasperated by his dribbling if they talked to him off the court. I imagine that in practice and in the locker room, he’s as fully bought in as they come.
That's so cool to hear about thank you. Im in New Jersey so unfortunately I don't get down to many games and don't get that same experience. Must be awesome.
I'm not too surprised to hear about Smith being a good dude. Watching interviews with some of the younger players they've all mentioned him as being so helpful with them getting adjusted.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:Seen Baker play. He won't get off the bench.
22 assists
1 turnover
0 bench blisters
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Nice 2nd half after looking rusty the first half and the SDSU game.

My concern from this team after 6 games is and has been rebounding, with free throw shooting second.

For that reason the @ Baylor game to me seems way tougher because they're going to kill us on the boards. Way more worried about that game right now than Gonzaga.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Chicat wrote:
enfuego wrote:Seen Baker play. He won't get off the bench.
22 assists
1 turnover
0 bench blisters
We need some more fuego prognostication. It does a team good.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That was exactly the game we were wanting to see after the SDSU game.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Love the quality depth this year. I'd like to see a little improvement in our rebounding but everything else looks great. It's really fun to watch this team.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Nice 2nd half after looking rusty the first half and the SDSU game.

My concern from this team after 6 games is and has been rebounding, with free throw shooting second.

For that reason the @ Baylor game to me seems way tougher because they're going to kill us on the boards. Way more worried about that game right now than Gonzaga.
Worried about our defense as well.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Nice 2nd half after looking rusty the first half and the SDSU game.

At times both of those can be porous but it seems we do a better job as the game lengthens. Example was they out rebounded us in the first half but we ended up out rebounding them. We also held another team to a sub 70 point night
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

At times both of those can be porous but it seems we do a better job as the game lengthens. Example was they out rebounded us in the first half but we ended up out rebounding them. We also held another team to a sub 70 point night
Our depth helps us there. Our second halves have to do with a deep rotation.

That said, rebounding needs to be better. Zeke is #1 in terms of who I'd like to see stepping up. For his size and mobility, he shouldn't be satisfied with 5 or 6 a game.

The past two games, it feels like we've come out without high level energy and intensity from the tip. Baylor and Gonzaga will punish that.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

There's no way this team is ready to play top-25 opponents with their current rebounding.

I wish I understood what this means in terms of improvement. As a player against similarly skilled competition, I've always been committed to boxing out, and nobody every gave more focus and effort to rebounding than me. And yet I could never grab a rebound.

Can this team turn it around?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

We moved up to #13 in KenPom with #21 in adjO and # 20 in adjD
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Arizona is still #14 in the latest AP poll
84Cat wrote:We moved up to #13 in KenPom with #21 in adjO and # 20 in adjD
We've actually moved down in Kenpom the last two games.

After NMSU Arizona was #11 in Kenpom, #12 in offense and #20 in defense.

The raw numbers show why. Arizona's Kenpom offense was 109.3 after NMSU, currently it's 109.1. Not much difference

The Kenpom defense after NMSU 87.8, currently it's 88.3.

So pretty much others teams have gotten better offensively and have passed Arizona in offensive efficiency, the defense has gotten worse but others teams have also dropped and Arizona has stayed at #20
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

In terms of energy level from the outset of games I thought it was much improved last night vs. NDSU. The problem was we were maybe too amped up and forcing a lot of shots inside instead of kicking it out like we saw in the second half. I give them a pass considering how CSM got on their ass for not getting the ball inside.

I agree the rebounding effort needs to be more consistent. But I did have a chuckle at one point in the second half when 3 of our guys went up together with nobody around and basically knocked the ball to the opposing player for a non-contested dunk.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Are we too used to seeing the ball go in the bucket? We have a 59% eFG for the season so far...

Too focused on transition defense?

We're one of the tallest teams in the country but we're middle of the road when it comes to rebounding.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

YoDeFoe wrote:Are we too used to seeing the ball go in the bucket? We have a 59% eFG for the season so far...
please tell me why this is the case?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

YoDeFoe wrote:Are we too used to seeing the ball go in the bucket? We have a 59% eFG for the season so far...
Like we used to say in 2013-14, making shots is for teams that aren't good enough to grab offensive rebounds.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

We're one of the tallest teams in the country but we're middle of the road when it comes to rebounding.
Off Rebound% 31.8% (#68 in nation)
Def Rebound% 75.1% (#129 in nation)

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... cats/stats" target="_blank

Maybe too focused on fast break pts

Also #23 in steals per game
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote:

Off Rebound% 31.8% (#68 in nation)
Def Rebound% 75.1% (#129 in nation)

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... cats/stats" target="_blank

Maybe too focused on fast break pts

Also #23 in steals per game
The defensive percentage is what's concerning. We aren't playing teams noted for being great on the offensive glass.

One of the things is playing Zeke over Chase. Chase's Dreb % is 26.7. Zeke is 14.3. Zeke is obviously better on offense, but he gives up something on the glass, especially the defensive glass.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Zeke averages 25 minutes per game, 10 more than Ira. It amounts to one more board averaged per game than Ira.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Isn't it really a matter of the west coast refs knowing which big on Arizona is so good that it's unfair, and then making it their goal from the outset to take that big out of the game as quickly as possible?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone seen a team play yet you don’t think we could beat in March? Because I haven’t.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:Anyone seen a team play yet you don’t think we could beat in March? Because I haven’t.
I'm not sold on our physicality. Zeke is not as nearly as strong as we may need him to be against bigger and talented front lines. And can Jeter hold up and take a pounding inside?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Anyone seen a team play yet you don’t think we could beat in March? Because I haven’t.
Could or would?

Like ZG says, I'm not sold we're good enough on the defensive glass or consistent enough on D to say would. We could beat a lot of teams.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Looking at how flawed some of the teams in the top ten are right now and the rankings are kind of a joke. Michigan State, Kentucky, and UNC in particular are not top ten teams despite preseason projections. Virginia is suspect (no offensive consistency). Kansas is suspect (key players struggling). Gonzaga's depth is questionable.

Louisville and Ohio State look real right now. Maryland might be legit (great depth, nice senior PG leadership). Texas Tech might be. Duke might be (unfortunately). Auburn might be if they keep everyone eligible (Daniel Purfoiy's mom is selling t-shirts with him in an Auburn jersey on them).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:
I'm not sold on our physicality. Zeke is not as nearly as strong as we may need him to be against bigger and talented front lines. And can Jeter hold up and take a pounding inside?
I get this. But in March, you only gotta beat the team in front of you. How many teams are there out there who would clearly put us at a disadvantage physically? Not many.

Also, no team looks clearly ahead of the rest at this point. There is a cluster of solid tier-1 teams, and I think AZ is either in that group or knocking on the door.

We have a lot of the ingredients of a team built for tourney success: excellent guard play, bench depth, ability to play fast or slow, veteran leaders, pro-level talent...I mean, the defense is obviously a work in progress, and maybe that'll be our Achilles heel. But I'm gonna give Sean the benefit of the doubt on this one. He expects his guys to defend like a mofo, so this will be a season-long project for our team. We've got some special players on this team. Just sorta feels like we're due to break through in March.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Ok - here is the revamped version:

(if you can't see this try using this link - https://imgur.com/a/cG0fWlB )

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

OMG so great Irish. What could be more perfect than shitting on our main antagonists
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I could watch this all day.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

An artist among us
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Looks like the game at Baylor is at the exact time and date as the Big 12 championship game Baylor is playing in

I wonder how many show up

Or if the crowd is more or less into it
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
I get this. But in March, you only gotta beat the team in front of you. How many teams are there out there who would clearly put us at a disadvantage physically? Not many.

Also, no team looks clearly ahead of the rest at this point. There is a cluster of solid tier-1 teams, and I think AZ is either in that group or knocking on the door.

We have a lot of the ingredients of a team built for tourney success: excellent guard play, bench depth, ability to play fast or slow, veteran leaders, pro-level talent...I mean, the defense is obviously a work in progress, and maybe that'll be our Achilles heel. But I'm gonna give Sean the benefit of the doubt on this one. He expects his guys to defend like a mofo, so this will be a season-long project for our team. We've got some special players on this team. Just sorta feels like we're due to break through in March.
My worry is that a physical team, say Sparty, can neutralize our advantage with 2nd chance points. I’d feel much more comfortable if we were winning the rebounding battle on the defensive end by a decisive margin.
Dave

Post by Dave »

We have barely out rebounded every team we have played (some concern). Maybe our transition game is reducing the rebounding numbers. Our guards and wings are definitely looking more to get out into transition instead of going to the glass. I love it!
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Looks like the game at Baylor is at the exact time and date as the Big 12 championship game Baylor is playing in

I wonder how many show up

Or if the crowd is more or less into it
Kind of an important story that won't get a ton of play. Big for us.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Miller noted in his presser that he expects better rebounding out of Zeke. Let’s see if we get more from him on the boards, though I love him running the floor for the easy bucket.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

66 points in a half
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Boom got the satellite radio hooked up in the tractor so I can listen to the cats while moving snow in my driveway/laydown area. My fanaticism has hit an apex. 2 feet of snow coming tomorrow. I'm almost ready for it. Go cats go!!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Boom got the satellite radio hooked up in the tractor so I can listen to the cats while moving snow in my driveway/laydown area. My fanaticism has hit an apex. 2 feet of snow coming tomorrow. I'm almost ready for it. Go cats go!!!!
I've got a 12:45 tee time tomorrow.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Boom got the satellite radio hooked up in the tractor so I can listen to the cats while moving snow in my driveway/laydown area. My fanaticism has hit an apex. 2 feet of snow coming tomorrow. I'm almost ready for it. Go cats go!!!!
You are one brutal mofo, G.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Personal attack. Someone report this post.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
prh

Post by prh »

Oh hey great idea guys. We should get a Tucson golf crew going
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
I'm tellin' ya, Greg could tame White House press briefings while hungover and watching a Wildcats game on his phone. "Good morning everyone, hold on, cracking one...."

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
You know what they say, move snow while you're young, move to Tucson when your joints can't handle it anymore.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:
Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
You know what they say, move snow while you're young, move to Tucson when your joints can't handle it anymore.

Boy am I an idiot. I'm moving to Denver in January.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Power lines down everywhere, took the day off from delivering fuel, will spend the whole day opening roads and playing traffic cop. I love it here!!!
-Norlander.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

prh wrote:Oh hey great idea guys. We should get a Tucson golf crew going
I just met the Club Manager at Stone Canyon and wants me to come out and play. Bucket list :shock:
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Jefe wrote:
That is one crazy top 25
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I don't hate it. Though I'd drop UNC from the top 10 and move Texas Tech and Auburn and Dayton up some. Oregon shouldn't get the 1 though - that's UL or tOSU right now.