let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCat

Re: let's talk '20

Post by TheCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Hopefully a rocking crowd vs the Zags locks this up. But he also gets to see Gonzaga and how they play
Here is Jim B. thoughts on the potential transfer. https://sports.yahoo.com/jim-boeheim-do ... 58654.html" target="_blank
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Really, really odd for a hall of fame coach to attack a 19/20 year old kid like that. Did he think he was off the record?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RaisingArizona wrote:Really, really odd for a hall of fame coach to attack a 19/20 year old kid like that. Did he think he was off the record?
Boeheim's a jackass and always has been.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Leadership 101: compliments are made in public, criticisms are made in private
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

UA pursuing another Ivy-League grad transfer

https://zonazealots.com/2019/12/13/ariz ... rick-tape/" target="_blank
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

any insight on how the akinjo visit went? im sure he was impressed with the atmosphere (early at least lol).
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

A1RZONA wrote:any insight on how the akinjo visit went? im sure he was impressed with the atmosphere (early at least lol).
Hard to imagine the game made much of an impression, unless he is considering Gonzaga.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

midnightx wrote:
A1RZONA wrote:any insight on how the akinjo visit went? im sure he was impressed with the atmosphere (early at least lol).
Hard to imagine the game made much of an impression, unless he is considering Gonzaga.
Which he is.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Which he is.
Have a feeling that, since he left town without a commitment, he's going to be tough to pull away from Gonzaga.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Which he is.
Have a feeling that, since he left town without a commitment, he's going to be tough to pull away from Gonzaga.
Based on what I've read, there was zero chance he would commit this past weekend. He wants to do his visits and then decide. I like AZ's chances but won't be too surprised if he chooses another school.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

Beachcat97 wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Which he is.
Based on what I've read, there was zero chance he would commit this past weekend. He wants to do his visits and then decide. I like AZ's chances but won't be too surprised if he chooses another school.
he'll probably get more mins at gonzaga next year anyways ya? unless bwill is a no go.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Timme, Ballo, Woolridge, next Akinjo. Zags have a better program. And no impending sanctions. Lean year ahead.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:Timme, Ballo, Woolridge, next Akinjo. Zags have a better program. And no impending sanctions. Lean year ahead.
Lol settle down.
AzWdCatFan

Post by AzWdCatFan »

ChooChooCat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Timme, Ballo, Woolridge, next Akinjo. Zags have a better program. And no impending sanctions. Lean year ahead.
Lol settle down.
Boy, no freaking kidding... good Lord!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I like our chances to get Akinjo.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

We need him. Baker is a SG, Terry is as raw as it gets, and who knows about BWill.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Zaire? Chances of landing him?
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Choo. Is the mystery PG still in play? And also can you say if he’s a international kid, a grad transfer or a high school reclass?
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Pretty much. Akinjo will end up at Gonzaga especially after witnessing us get boatraced at home by them. I don't see BWill returning; another Ray Smith. Too much uncertainty with the program pending the severity of NCAA sanctions. I've said it before; it isn't going to end well for us. The future doesn't look promising.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:Zaire? Chances of landing him?
At this moment we're the favorite, but plenty can happen between now and whenever he decides to announce.
NickyBCats wrote:Choo. Is the mystery PG still in play? And also can you say if he’s a international kid, a grad transfer or a high school reclass?
As far I'm aware, yes, but I haven't asked in weeks and I don't intend to during the holidays.
Captain Obvious wrote:
Pretty much. Akinjo will end up at Gonzaga especially after witnessing us get boatraced at home by them. I don't see BWill returning; another Ray Smith. Too much uncertainty with the program pending the severity of NCAA sanctions. I've said it before; it isn't going to end well for us. The future doesn't look promising.
Dude it's way too early for any of this, calm down.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NickyBCats wrote:Choo. Is the mystery PG still in play? And also can you say if he’s a international kid, a grad transfer or a high school reclass?
He's the ghost from this movie.

loomer

Post by loomer »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Happy New Year!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Captain Obvious wrote:
Pretty much. Akinjo will end up at Gonzaga especially after witnessing us get boatraced at home by them.

These posts aged well.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
Pretty much. Akinjo will end up at Gonzaga especially after witnessing us get boatraced at home by them.

These posts aged well.
No kidding.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Beachcat97 wrote:I like our chances to get Akinjo.
This post aged well too.

I'm excited about Akinjo. He fills a role that will be wide open with up to four guards leaving after this season (Smith, Hazzard, Mannion, Green). If we land Ziaire, we'll be on track for another top 15-20 range team next season.

Possible starters:

Akinjo
Baker
Z Williams
Brown
Koloko

Bench: Lee, Terry

And then who knows what the future holds for Brandon Williams?
Captain Obvious

UAEebs86 wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

These posts aged well.
Meh, I was wrong. Rarely happens but I'm glad Akinjo made the right decision. To be honest I think at least one of our star freshman may return next year. I guess we'll see. Happy New Year to everyone.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Captain Obvious wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

These posts aged well.
Meh, I was wrong. Rarely happens
8-)
Captain Obvious wrote:but I'm glad Akinjo made the right decision.
The right decision?

But you agreed that the Zags have the better program, no impending sanctions, and aren’t looking at a lean year ahead. Sounds obvious you think he just made the wrong decision.

Happy New Year Corporal Duplicity
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Captain Obvious wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

These posts aged well.
Meh, I was wrong. Rarely happens but I'm glad Akinjo made the right decision. To be honest I think at least one of our star freshman may return next year. I guess we'll see. Happy New Year to everyone.
These self-aggrandizing posts are incredibly tedious in their obviously wrong stupidity and, worse, tired refusal to reflect on the poor decision-making that brought this consequence.

Not even enfuego comes right out and says, "I was wrong. Rarely happens," even though that is fundamentally his entire posting style and he is the reigning Prince of Fools on this board for it.

Ace Thakore from PGU also salutes your approach, as it reaped similar dividends with his sociopathic ass.

Choose a real future in forum posting. Choose humility.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

And welcome to Arizona, Mr. Akinjo!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

loomer wrote:
Happy New Year's to us. I could see him and Baker being a dual combo backcourt who can play off each other.
Captain Obvious

catgrad97 wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

These posts aged well.
These self-aggrandizing posts are incredibly tedious in their obviously wrong stupidity and, worse, tired refusal to reflect on the poor decision-making that brought this consequence.

Not even enfuego comes right out and says, "I was wrong. Rarely happens," even though that is fundamentally his entire posting style and he is the reigning Prince of Fools on this board for it.

Ace Thakore from PGU also salutes your approach, as it reaped similar dividends with his sociopathic ass.

Choose a real future in forum posting. Choose humility.
Yawn.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

These posts aged well.
I would be worried about your post aging well.

If & When the NCAA drops the enforcement hammer on us both Dalen Terry and Akinjo could disappear faster than the hors d'oeuvres at a Richard Simmons sweating to the oldies reunion

Akinjo is a great pickup, assuming BW can't go next year, but personally I'm not counting any chickens until all of the recruits actually show up on campus this coming August.
Last edited by dmjcat on Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well anyways that likely ends the romanticizing with the European PG we were after. Waiting on a decision from Ben Mathurin, which could come at any second, and just playing the waiting game with Ziaire and Kerwin Walton. I imagine we'll pursue another big for depth purposes as well unless Nnaji struggles and returns, but I just don't know what avenue we'll take to fill that hole if it comes to that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

These posts aged well.

If & When the NCAA drops the enforcement hammer on us both Dalen Terry and Akinjo could disappear faster than the hors d'oeuvres at a Richard Simmons sweating to the oldies reunion

Akinjo is a great pickup, assuming BW can't go next year, but personally I'm not counting any chickens until all of the recruits actually show up on campus this coming August.
Too bad we didn't self impose the death penalty two years ago, right?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

These posts aged well.

Too bad we didn't self impose the death penalty two years ago, right?
Wrong. Now you are just being silly. What I proposed was self sanctions (1 year NCAA tournament ban + the usual loss of scholarships/training/recruiting restrictions).......Not a "Death Penalty".

BTW, If the NCAA doesn't touch us I will be more than happy to eat crow and admit I was wrong. If, however, the NCAA clobbers us and we end up missing 1 or more tournaments and our recruiting is slaughtered will YOU admit you were wrong??
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:I imagine we'll pursue another big for depth purposes as well unless Nnaji struggles and returns, but I just don't know what avenue we'll take to fill that hole if it comes to that.
So is the expectation that Manion, Green and Nnaji are all going pro after this year?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I imagine we'll pursue another big for depth purposes as well unless Nnaji struggles and returns, but I just don't know what avenue we'll take to fill that hole if it comes to that.
So is the expectation that Manion, Green and Nnaji are all going pro after this year?
Yes. There's a very very SLIGHT chance Nnaji could return, but the better he plays the less likely that is even remotely on the table.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
SCCats wrote:
Yes. There's a very very SLIGHT chance Nnaji could return, but the better he plays the less likely that is even remotely on the table.
:lol:

I don’t know what to say. “Bring on the next freshmen who can’t be relied on to win any big games in OOC and grabs us a third place PAC finish!!”
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

These posts aged well.

Akinjo is literally going to be enrolled at Arizona this week as a mid year transfer genius. I'll let every one else address your other garbage.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
SCCats wrote:

I don’t know what to say. “Bring on the next freshmen who can’t be relied on to win any big games in OOC and grabs us a third place PAC finish!!”
I feel ya, we're going to be very heavily reliant on some transfers and freshmen next year.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
Captain Obvious wrote:

These posts aged well.

Akinjo is literally going to be enrolled at Arizona this week schmuck. I'll let every one else address your other garbage.
And if the NCAA hammers us he could transfer again (and claim hardship to the NCAA) in a cold second......schmuck.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote: And if the NCAA hammers us he could transfer again (and claim hardship to the NCAA) in a cold second......schmuck.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Thoughts on Akinjo.

His soph season is a tiny sample size, so take it with a grain of salt.

His offensive efficiency will hopefully improve. He shot 37% on 2's as a frosh and 39% from 3. In the small soph season, his shooting from 2 improved and his % from 3 fell off. He needs to keep improving from 2 and shoot 3's like he did as a freshman.

Boeheim criticized him for being ball dominant. The numbers support that a bit. His usage rate was about 25%, which is about exactly what Nico is at. Compared to a low usage PG like PJC (in the 13-14 range) it's towards the higher end. However, his turnovers fell as a soph, which is a positive sign for him increasing overall efficiency. If he maintains 25%, he needs to do it at a higher efficiency. Or, drop to around 20%.

His D was slightly better as a soph, but that's another growth area.

I think he would benefit from being one of two PG types on the floor because he's a better scorer than pure PG at this point. Being one of two scoring PG's would fit his skillset better than being the primary distributor.

He has time to grow with the time off. If he does, he's a solid starter for a good team.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
SCCats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
SCCats wrote:

I feel ya, we're going to be very heavily reliant on some transfers and freshmen next year.
I really feel like I’m losing the script; there’s a disconnect in my mind about our expectations as fans and who we are/how we are trying to achieve those expectations.

And I have this nagging feeling we’re just going to be having these same conversations next year.

And the year after that.

And the year after that.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Thoughts on Akinjo.

His soph season is a tiny sample size, so take it with a grain of salt.

His offensive efficiency will hopefully improve. He shot 37% on 2's as a frosh and 39% from 3. In the small soph season, his shooting from 2 improved and his % from 3 fell off. He needs to keep improving from 2 and shoot 3's like he did as a freshman.

Boeheim criticized him for being ball dominant. The numbers support that a bit. His usage rate was about 25%, which is about exactly what Nico is at. Compared to a low usage PG like PJC (in the 13-14 range) it's towards the higher end. However, his turnovers fell as a soph, which is a positive sign for him increasing overall efficiency. If he maintains 25%, he needs to do it at a higher efficiency. Or, drop to around 20%.

His D was slightly better as a soph, but that's another growth area.

I think he would benefit from being one of two PG types on the floor because he's a better scorer than pure PG at this point. Being one of two scoring PG's would fit his skillset better than being the primary distributor.

He has time to grow with the time off. If he does, he's a solid starter for a good team.
He's also prone to taking jumpers just inside the 3 point line, which is my biggest pet peeve in basketball.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:
I really feel like I’m losing the script; there’s a disconnect in my mind about our expectations as fans and who we are/how we are trying to achieve those expectations.

And I have this nagging feeling we’re just going to be having these same conversations next year.

And the year after that.

And the year after that.
I feel the same exact way. Until there's some consistency with this roster and time to develop and master the systems all expectations need to be tempered. Maybe that comes in two years...I dunno.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

We passed on Akinjo last time, Zags this time. He's not a monster get. We just need someone to fill minutes.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SCCats wrote:

And the year after that.

And the year after that.
Can I please say it, pretty pretty please? (I feel this way too, hell I’ve felt this way since 2016)

Ah fuck it... DO WHAT WE DO!!!!!!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Sounds like another Trier.

Hope Akinjo has a better attitude.