let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

goslingswagg

Re: let's talk '20

Post by goslingswagg »

Mathurin is a really solid pickup, happy to have a high upside and improving wing like him. I've seen a few sources online thinking he is the #1 Canadian recruit in the 2020 class.

My only hope is that he was sold as being a 3 year type player and not a OnD.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:Mathurin is a really solid pickup, happy to have a high upside and improving wing like him. I've seen a few sources online thinking he is the #1 Canadian recruit in the 2020 class.

My only hope is that he was sold as being a 3 year type player and not a OnD.
Every guy would love to be a one and done, but he's absolutely not married to the idea of being in school only one year. Realistically the only one and done we would have in the 2020 class would be Ziaire.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Akinjo
Terry
Mathurin
Brown
Koloko

already excited about this lineup

Mathurin speak English?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

And Williams possibly, but have very little expectations of that.

dmjcat wrote:
Candadian ? Is that part of the former USSR?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:And Williams possibly, but have very little expectations of that
You shouldn't.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
You shouldn't.
Brandon or Ziaire or both?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
You shouldn't.
Oops was he referring to Brandon? I was referring to Ziaire. As far as BWill goes I sure wouldn't count on it. Not a dead deal yet, but yeah.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
You shouldn't.
Oops was he referring to Brandon? I was referring to Ziaire. As far as BWill goes I sure wouldn't count on it. Not a dead deal yet, but yeah.
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I thought we had a good shot for Ziaire? Does Mathurin change that?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
You shouldn't.
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I thought we had a good shot for Ziaire? Does Mathurin change that?
You're misunderstanding.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Man I hope BWill can do it. Dude fucking deserves it and hopefully whatever basketball god that controls injuries can smile kindly on our school for once. Need some good news one fucking time after Ashley in 13-14 and Ray.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Don’t forget Kevin Parrom, whose career was derailed from a gun shot wound. That’s a lot of players to lose to injury in ten years. We’ve had some shitty luck.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

At the moment it's between us and USC and we're out front. Oregon will get a visit though.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Does his decision have anything to do with what Zeke my decide? I am assuming Zeke is gone but maybe he comes back to be a top 10 pick next year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Does his decision have anything to do with what Zeke my decide? I am assuming Zeke is gone but maybe he comes back to be a top 10 pick next year
They play two different positions, Zeke would have zero impact in the negative sense if for some reason he decides to return.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Why would an elite player choose to play in a morgue like the Galen Center over the fan fest that is McKale??
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I was going to ask the same thing. Doesn't make sense why someone would pick USC over us. How is this still a competition?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If you'd all just stop seeing the world through red-and-blue-colored lenses, you'd realize USC offers a private school education, sticky buns, and ice sculptures of naked flamingos. Or something. It's got to be something better than McKale on game day.
prh

Post by prh »

That question logically turns into why would any elite player go anywhere except for maybe 10 schools across the country. Oregon's crowd doesn't stand or make noise until the last 30 seconds, but they're still pulling 5 star kids.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

For recruits, Arizona has something called the Experience Room, which you walk into to experience the energy of a game in any particular sport through a video and audio assault on the senses. The basketball presentation is amazing. Other schools have copied it in the last few years, but it must be odd to go from the simulation to the real thing when the real thing is such a quiet void by comparison. And at least for basketball, the tour of the Arizona facilities is pretty mind blowing. You can really see why recruiting at Arizona is about the curatorial challenge of assembling the right time, and less about getting enough high-rated players to say yes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Zeke isn’t coming back. Not a chance. Enjoy Nico, Josh and Zeke for about 2 more months.

Akinjo
Baker
Terry/Lee
Brown
Koloko

If you add Ziaire and/or BW to this lineup, it’s looking like a top 20ish team.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well lots of talk of Zaire going pro overseas so have to wonder if he ever plays for us
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote:Well lots of talk of Zaire going pro overseas so have to wonder if he ever plays for us
Haven't seen that anywhere. Source?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Well lots of talk of Zaire going pro overseas so have to wonder if he ever plays for us
He's considering it, but I hear he's going to college.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Right. I've read the same. Thanks, Choo.

Choo, what level of player is Ziaire? Like, is getting a commitment from him tantamount to landing Aaron Gordon? Stan Johnson? I've watched footage. Just curious about your assessment of his potential.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Choo, what level of player is Ziaire? Like, is getting a commitment from him tantamount to landing Aaron Gordon? Stan Johnson? I've watched footage. Just curious about your assessment of his potential.
More Stan Johnson impact than AG IMO. He'd start immediately and would obviously be very important to our success. AG was a total difference maker that no other one and done has ever been here sans Ayton of course.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

More Stan Johnson impact than AG IMO. He'd start immediately and would obviously be very important to our success. AG was a total difference maker that no other one and done has ever been here sans Ayton of course.
Thanks. So he’d be among the best recruiting “gets” of the Miller era. Pretty exciting. Hope he chooses us!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Last question on Ziaire: any idea when he may make his choice?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Last question on Ziaire: any idea when he may make his choice?
Sometime in the Spring, no exact time written in stone.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Zeke isn’t coming back. Not a chance. Enjoy Nico, Josh and Zeke for about 2 more months.

Akinjo
Baker
Terry/Lee
Brown
Koloko

What is interesting is we could theoretically have 4/5's of our starting lineup in place for 2 years. I realize that is not a likely scenario, but feels more likely than rosters in the past to hold some consistency.

akinjo/baker/plug in 5 star wing/brown/koloko
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

baycat93 wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Zeke isn’t coming back. Not a chance. Enjoy Nico, Josh and Zeke for about 2 more months.

Akinjo
Baker
Terry/Lee
Brown
Koloko

What is interesting is we could theoretically have 4/5's of our starting lineup in place for 2 years. I realize that is not a likely scenario, but feels more likely than rosters in the past to hold some consistency.

akinjo/baker/plug in 5 star wing/brown/koloko
It's impressive that Miller has kept the recruiting pipeline flowing even amid the (pseudo-) scandal and disappointing season last year. Think we should all be convinced now that we'll have very strong rosters as long as Miller is in Tucson. If there's a coaching change, no idea what the other side of that looks like.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

I would argue Lauri was close. But when factoring in defense you’d have to give the edge to AG on overall impact.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PennZona20 wrote:
I would argue Lauri was close. But when factoring in defense you’d have to give the edge to AG on overall impact.
Lauri would certainly be 3rd on my one and done hierarchy. There is a pretty big gap between him and Stan though IMO. I'd have Ziaire in Stan's area. If he was any better I'd be surprised.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:
Lauri would certainly be 3rd on my one and done hierarchy. There is a pretty big gap between him and Stan though IMO. I'd have Ziaire in Stan's area. If he was any better I'd be surprised.
So, Choo, if you had to rank Miller recruits in terms of impact, it would go:

AG
Ayton
Lauri
Stan/Ziaire (provided we actually get ZW)

What about Nico, Josh, Zeke, Nick Johnson, Trier, RHJ, Ashley...?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PennZona20 wrote:
So, Choo, if you had to rank Miller recruits in terms of impact, it would go:

AG
Ayton
Lauri
Stan/Ziaire (provided we actually get ZW)

What about Nico, Josh, Zeke, Nick Johnson, Trier, RHJ, Ashley...?
Nico, Josh, and Zeke are still TBD. The others weren't one and dones.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Assuming JG is 1AD, his numbers feel pretty similar to Stan's, just a tich under.

Is Ziaire a better propsect than JG? Can/Would Ziaire play some 4?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:Assuming JG is 1AD, his numbers feel pretty similar to Stan's, just a tich under.

Yes and Yes, although I wouldn't expect him to play the 4 much (probably the same as Josh does now).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If we land Ziaire, would that be the final member of our '20 class? Terry, Mathurin, Williams, and ??

Also, we definitely lose Nico, Josh, Zeke, Chase, Stone, Max and Dylan. That's seven players! Are there whispers of any other transfers, early departures, etc.?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:If we land Ziaire, would that be the final member of our '20 class? Terry, Mathurin, Williams, and ??

Also, we definitely lose Nico, Josh, Zeke, Chase, Stone, Max and Dylan. That's seven players! Are there whispers of any other transfers, early departures, etc.?
Kerwin Walton is still in the mix and you bet your sweet ass Miller won't stand for only having Koloko, Brown, and Lee as big options next year. He'll find a guy to fill that depth.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Beachcat97 wrote:If we land Ziaire, would that be the final member of our '20 class? Terry, Mathurin, Williams, and ??

Walton is the more obvious one. Akinjo took Doutive's scholarship right? So that would leave 3 more spots to fill even with that class.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:

Walton is the more obvious one. Akinjo took Doutive's scholarship right? So that would leave 3 more spots to fill even with that class.
Akinjo
Williams (on scholarship until he medically retires)
Baker
Mathurin
Terry
Williams (if he commits)
Walton (if he commits)
Lee
Brown
Koloko

Fill the holes with sit out transfers/grad transfers.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:Assuming JG is 1AD, his numbers feel pretty similar to Stan's, just a tich under.

Yes and Yes, although I wouldn't expect him to play the 4 much (probably the same as Josh does now).
That is pretty exciting as I am pretty big fan of JG.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

McDonald's All American Rosters are out, only guy of consequence for us that made the team was Ziaire.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:

Akinjo
Baker
Mathurin
Terry
Williams (if he commits)
Walton (if he commits)
Lee
Brown
Koloko

Feels like we might need 2 more players in the front court unless Ziaire is getting some meaningful minutes at the 4. I don't see any of Lee/Brown/Koloko being effective at more than 20+ minute per game. Caveat being hard to know how much Brown has matured this year.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:

Akinjo
Baker
Mathurin
Terry
Williams (if he commits)
Walton (if he commits)
Lee
Brown
Koloko

Feels like we might need 2 more players in the front court unless Ziaire is getting some meaningful minutes at the 4. I don't see any of Lee/Brown/Koloko being effective at more than 20+ minute per game. Caveat being hard to know how much Brown has matured this year.
also was going to say I think we need a second PG if Williams is likely unavailable...
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:

Akinjo
Baker
Mathurin
Terry
Williams (if he commits)
Walton (if he commits)
Lee
Brown
Koloko

So we have room for Nico, Josh and Zeke to return! Can't Wait!!!
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

goslingswagg wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:

Akinjo
Baker
Mathurin
Terry
Williams (if he commits)
Walton (if he commits)
Lee
Brown
Koloko

also was going to say I think we need a second PG if Williams is likely unavailable...
Imo, can't have enough pg's but between akinjo, baker and terry there is a lot of playmaking minutes.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Just my opinion but I think people expecting Terry to be a primary ball handler at any point next year are going to be disappointed...and I don't think Baker should be handling many PG minutes either, he's much more of a 2-guard imo.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

How has Brown been in practice? Dominating Jeter?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Jefe wrote:How has Brown been in practice? Dominating Jeter?
Let’s hope so.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:How has Brown been in practice? Dominating Jeter?
Dominating Jeter isn't exactly reason for celebration.