Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
Dosia wrote:Damn this place is quiet after a win.
HAHA yea some of those fans are still hanging out over the abyss...besides it rained tonite and fair-weather fans don't show up if its raining in Tucson, thats the equivalent of -30 windchill anywhere else.
Not to rain on anyones parade but if you subtract Hazzards 24 points the Utes outscored the rest of the UA by 8. If Max had his normal shooting night we might all be in mourning right now.
You didn’t rain on anyone’s parade because this take is stupid and you’re a known troll.
Says the biggest troll on the board :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ahh, the “I know you are but what am I” defense. A classic, only eclipsed by the “I’m rubber, you’re glue” taunt made famous by Roosevelt Elementary’s own Timmy McCallister in 1983 when he actually squirted glue in Bobby Hemerich’s eye as he said it.

Thank you for not hitting me with a taunt about how my mother is so dumb she invented a screen door for a submarine. My fragile psyche wouldn’t be able to survive a burn so deep...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

:lol:
TucsonClip

Utah Observations

Post by TucsonClip »

That first half was about as good of one as you will ever see in college hoops. Great defense, good communication, rotations on point, decent job on the glass. The real key being getting stops and those leading to transition opportunities, which is where we thrive. So, lets start there...

The Formula

Without a doubt, the formula to our success with this team is easy to see. We need to get stops (which also includes a defensive rebound), push in transition, get the defense on their heels and create easy scoring chances. This is what we have been missing during our recent offensive struggles, and something I have brought up multiple times this season. We need to create easy looks in transition, as our half court offense hasnt been great.

Additionally, if you noticed, we did the majority of our first half damage without Nico on the floor. He wasnt playing well in the first half, and even played the 5th most minutes. However, this shows you the power of the transition opportunity, as it freed up Josh (whom is great in the open floor), Zeke was able to get good position and seals, and most importantly, Hazzard.

Max Hazzard's Revival

Hazzard, as I also mentioned previously (not sure here or not), excels by getting up transition threes. Well, he had four transition based threes alone in the first half (two in the open floor, two on ball reversals off a push, and also had a push ahead pump fake from three, drive and baseline fade away two). Hes a rhythm shooter who can get in a groove quickly, but he needs space. His release is so quick it helps make up for his lack of size, but he needs space regardless, just less than the majority of 5'11" dudes.

Something else I noticed, at least tonight, is that Miller would not insert Hazard unless we were able to play good defense for a stretch. As we all know, that is going to be Miller's primary focus, but it was an interesting trend. Miller was willing to let Hazard gun because we were playing good defense, but also because he knows his best looks are going to come in the open floor.

People wondering why we dont see more of Hazzard should look to our defense as the culprit.

Defensive Wrinkles

Again, I thought we played pretty well defensively overall. However, that was masked by the performance in the first half. The second half was average. Too many miscommunications, not closing out on shooters, screwing up switches and coverages.

But speaking of coverages, we did see a bit of what I was hoping: ICE against empty corner ball screens (at least on occasions).

So were all on the same page, let me break down what I mean by ICE coverage and what the empty corner ball screen is.

Ice Coverage - The premise is to keep the ball on one side of the floor, forcing the ball back towards the sideline. Think of a normal pick and roll, but coming off the wing. Ice would require the guard (on ball) to position himself on the screener's (big) top side (nearest to half court) leg. This essentially denies the screen, as the guard can easily get over. The big defending the screener, will drop to the elbow. This allows them to corral a drive by the guard (since the defending guard is out of position to cover this) and also a dive by the big. This means the defense is defending the ball screen action two on two. Our typically hard hedge would require a lot of moving pieces. The bid hedges, the weak side defender has to sink into the lane to tag the roller, the guard has to get over the screen, the big has to recover hands up to close down the passing lane, the weak side defender can then recover to their man.

Empty Corner Ball Screen - Pretty self explanatory... When the only two offensive players on one side of the floor are in the screen action together. This is an issue in our typical coverage, because there is nobody on the back side of the action (the corner that is empty) to tag (body and cover until the big recovers) the roll man. We would always tag using the person left on defense where the actions is moving away from. Since that location in vacated, this is where you get my "PJC rotation," where the help comes from the opposite wing, ALL the way across the paint to the action-side block to cover the roll man.

This coverage was something I mentioned I didnt understand why we didnt run more of, especially as the more savvy coaches in the Pac-12 (K is one) would try to manipulate us into the empty corner ball screen. Well, we saw it a handful of times tonight, and it especially worked in the first half.

The next wrinkle is something I think we can all agree we were happy to see, as teams ***** with us like this all the time. Miller went zone at least twice (that I recall) out of time outs or stoppages, not dead balls. Teams have been doing this to us for years. I loved this change by Miller, because he knows K will likely come out of a stoppage with a set designed, as a good NBA player would.

It might not be much, but its something. Its an adjustment. Lets look for more on Saturday.

Nico's Offensive Production

12 minutes in the first half was definitely a shocker. However, it was warranted. He wasnt playing great, shooting was still off (footwork), defense was ok, but we were actually thriving even with him on the bench.

The second half was much better. Yes, hes was able to knock down some threes, including the three he hit at the 15:31 mark where I literally noted, "FOOTWORK, FEET SET, FINALLY!" However, it was more than just the threes. Our offense was ugly in the first four minutes, poor shots, bad drives, not getting the ball to Zeke. Nico came back after his first break and settled down the offense. THIS is where you see the value of a real freaking point guard. He controlled the pace a bit more, get us into our sets, and began to dictate how the game would finish. Thats what we need to see more of, and, of course, more on-balanced threes with good footwork and balance.

Establishing Zeke

Hard to complain with his touches in the first half. He was getting good touches, giving Utah fits on the offensive glass, I believe he even got a good look from three and nailed it (maybe that was the 2H?). The second half wasnt as great, but the game was essentially over, and he was still doing work on the glass.

However, we are going to need to come out on Saturday and feed Zeke. We need to be able to establish him inside, because the CU defense is MUCH better than Utah. Keep an eye on this Saturday, as I think it is a key to a W.

I also have to say, Zeke was pretty solid on defense tonight too, and that feeds into establishing him. Our defense is better when he is active and aware. I thought he did a great job rotating, including some of those big double screens that OSU was able to take advantage of him on. One big (typically Zeke) would hard hedge these, while the other would sit under the screen at the FT line. However, Zeke was getting caught watching or trailing his man on dives. Not tonight.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Great stuff Clip as always. If there has been one disappointment for me with Nico it’s his work at the point. He may not always be hitting his shot but I have felt when he wants he can get his team a good shot but that hasn’t always been the case. His defense in two of the last three games has been better.

Now a big test tomorrow. Can’t decide if I hate Oregon or CU most. I know I want to beat them bad, especially after the PAC channel with Earl Watson pocked then to sweep the AZ schools. I want to see Tad cry
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I appreciate that, TC. I don't know how you do it. Even if I were smart enough, I'd have to hit rewind so many times, it would take a month to watch a game.

I'll try to work on recognizing ice.

This is truly golden:
People wondering why we dont see more of Hazzard should look to our defense as the culprit.
CatFanOneMil

Re: Utah Observations

Post by CatFanOneMil »

TucsonClip wrote:That first half was about as good of one as you will ever see in college hoops. Great defense, good communication, rotations on point, decent job on the glass. The real key being getting stops and those leading to transition opportunities, which is where we thrive. So, lets start there...

The Formula

Without a doubt, the formula to our success with this team is easy to see. We need to get stops (which also includes a defensive rebound), push in transition, get the defense on their heels and create easy scoring chances. This is what we have been missing during our recent offensive struggles, and something I have brought up multiple times this season. We need to create easy looks in transition, as our half court offense hasnt been great.

Additionally, if you noticed, we did the majority of our first half damage without Nico on the floor. He wasnt playing well in the first half, and even played the 5th most minutes. However, this shows you the power of the transition opportunity, as it freed up Josh (whom is great in the open floor), Zeke was able to get good position and seals, and most importantly, Hazzard.

Max Hazzard's Revival

Hazzard, as I also mentioned previously (not sure here or not), excels by getting up transition threes. Well, he had four transition based threes alone in the first half (two in the open floor, two on ball reversals off a push, and also had a push ahead pump fake from three, drive and baseline fade away two). Hes a rhythm shooter who can get in a groove quickly, but he needs space. His release is so quick it helps make up for his lack of size, but he needs space regardless, just less than the majority of 5'11" dudes.

Something else I noticed, at least tonight, is that Miller would not insert Hazard unless we were able to play good defense for a stretch. As we all know, that is going to be Miller's primary focus, but it was an interesting trend. Miller was willing to let Hazard gun because we were playing good defense, but also because he knows his best looks are going to come in the open floor.

Defensive Wrinkles

Again, I thought we played pretty well defensively overall. However, that was masked by the performance in the first half. The second half was average. Too many miscommunications, not closing out on shooters, screwing up switches and coverages.

But speaking of coverages, we did see a bit of what I was hoping: ICE against empty corner ball screens (at least on occasions).

So were all on the same page, let me break down what I mean by ICE coverage and what the empty corner ball screen is.

Ice Coverage - The premise is to keep the ball on one side of the floor, forcing the ball back towards the sideline. Think of a normal pick and roll, but coming off the wing. Ice would require the guard (on ball) to position himself on the screener's (big) top side (nearest to half court) leg. This essentially denies the screen, as the guard can easily get over. The big defending the screener, will drop to the elbow. This allows them to corral a drive by the guard (since the defending guard is out of position to cover this) and also a dive by the big. This means the defense is defending the ball screen action two on two. Our typically hard hedge would require a lot of moving pieces. The bid hedges, the weak side defender has to sink into the lane to tag the roller, the guard has to get over the screen, the big has to recover hands up to close down the passing lane, the weak side defender can then recover to their man.

Empty Corner Ball Screen - Pretty self explanatory... When the only two offensive players on one side of the floor are in the screen action together. This is an issue in our typical coverage, because there is nobody on the back side of the action (the corner that is empty) to tag (body and cover until the big recovers) the roll man. We would always tag using the person left on defense where the actions is moving away from. Since that location in vacated, this is where you get my "PJC rotation," where the help comes from the opposite wing, ALL the way across the paint to the action-side block to cover the roll man.

This coverage was something I mentioned I didnt understand why we didnt run more of, especially as the more savvy coaches in the Pac-12 (K is one) would try to manipulate us into the empty corner ball screen. Well, we saw it a handful of times tonight, and it especially worked in the first half.

The next wrinkle is something I think we can all agree we were happy to see, as teams ***** with us like this all the time. Miller went zone at least twice (that I recall) out of time outs or stoppages, not dead balls. Teams have been doing this to us for years. I loved this change by Miller, because he knows K will likely come out of a stoppage with a set designed, as a good NBA player would.

It might not be much, but its something. Its an adjustment. Lets look for more on Saturday.

Nico's Offensive Production

12 minutes in the first half was definitely a shocker. However, it was warranted. He wasnt playing great, shooting was still off (footwork), defense was ok, but we were actually thriving even with him on the bench.

The second half was much better. Yes, hes was able to knock down some threes, including the three he hit at the 15:31 mark where I literally noted, "FOOTWORK, FEET SET, FINALLY!" However, it was more than just the threes. Our offense was ugly in the first four minutes, poor shots, bad drives, not getting the ball to Zeke. Nico came back after his first break and settled down the offense. THIS is where you see the value of a real freaking point guard. He controlled the pace a bit more, get us into our sets, and began to dictate how the game would finish. Thats what we need to see more of, and, of course, more on-balanced threes with good footwork and balance.

Establishing Zeke

Hard to complain with his touches in the first half. He was getting good touches, giving Utah fits on the offensive glass, I believe he even got a good look from three and nailed it (maybe that was the 2H?). The second half wasnt as great, but the game was essentially over, and he was still doing work on the glass.

However, we are going to need to come out on Saturday and feed Zeke. We need to be able to establish him inside, because the CU defense is MUCH better than Utah. Keep an eye on this Saturday, as I think it is a key to a W.

I also have to say, Zeke was pretty solid on defense tonight too, and that feeds into establishing him. Our defense is better when he is active and aware. I thought he did a great job rotating, including some of those big double screens that OSU was able to take advantage of him on. One big (typically Zeke) would hard hedge these, while the other would sit under the screen at the FT line. However, Zeke was getting caught watching or trailing his man on dives. Not tonight.
Outstanding observations, this poster is on a completely different level than most of us...

I had to go youtube ICE defense and learned a ton in 5 minutes (one vid has lots of Pac 12 examples/and Texas Tech as why more teams are going this way and also demonstrating how we have been the victim of ICE defense)...

I felt like last night we were not getting Zeke the ball and it seems that especially when the opposing team throws zone at us we get stagnant offensively rather quickly...sometimes it feels like our big is coming to far up inside the zone and there are to many hands to get them the ball...not sure how we adjust for that but we are going to see a lot of it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Was on a plane last night and couldn’t see the game, but it sounds like they had a nice bounce back game at McKale. No idea if Utah’s really that bad, or if we made them look bad.

So here we are again with another chance for a quality win this weekend. Not too many of these chances left. I’d be pretty surprised and disappointed to see us lose at McKale to the Buffs. They’re good, but they’re certainly beatable.

What a game from Hazzard and Zeke last night! Are we about to start seeing the Hazzard that stormed last year’s tourney and made national headlines? Hope so!

Bear down and beat the Buffs!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

You know what is scary? I have just realized that as Dylan Smith go’s, so go’s this team. Let that sink in
Last edited by azcat49 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

azcat49 wrote:Great stuff Clip as always. If there has been one disappointment for me with Nico it’s his work at the point. He may not always be hitting his shot but I have felt when he wants he can get his team a good shot but that hasn’t always been the case. His defense in two of the last three games has been better.

Now a big test tomorrow. Can’t decide if I hate Oregon or CU most. I know I want to beat them bad, especially after the PAC channel with Earl Watson pocked then to sweep the AZ schools. I want to see Tad cry
Hes settled for too many bad looks, when he can get a better look, or at least draw the defense, based on his skill level. Hes coming around as an actual point guard, but hitting from the perimeter would open up his entire game. Hes just pressing too much, and not getting on balance to shoot his jumpers.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Longhorned wrote: I'll try to work on recognizing ice.

This is truly golden:
If you watch a Suns game, or the NBA in general, I would start there. You can likely hear the call on the floor, and the spacing will allow you to recognize it quicker, plus they run it as a typical coverage.

-Shane Battier
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We gotta beat Colorado, guys. Must-win game, imo. We’re giving the selection committee way too many reasons to put us on the bubble.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:We gotta beat Colorado, guys. Must-win game, imo. We’re giving the selection committee way too many reasons to put us on the bubble.
FOR FUCK SAKE THE CATS ARE NOT ON THE BUBBLE
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:We gotta beat Colorado, guys. Must-win game, imo. We’re giving the selection committee way too many reasons to put us on the bubble.
Does a loss tomorrow change that? Or is it cool if we lose to every ranked team we play?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Not at the moment but the conference season is still young. If one projects the likely outcomes for the rest of the season we could easily end up there. If we lose to Colorado tomorrow (which is a critical game) we would already have 3 conference losses. At best I think we will split the remaining road games (losses at SC/UW/Stanford) and beat asu. That would equate to 4-3 in the remaining road games which is generous given how crappy we have played on the road. I think its likely we lose one more at home (Oregon/UW/SC). That would give us an 11-7 conference record and an overall record of 21-10. For comparison asu finished at 23-11 last year (with a quality win over Kansas that we don't have) and ended up an 11 seed. So we could easily be flirting with the bubble unless we start taking care of business.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I can’t argue with your logic but is their any joy in your life? You are the saddest sack I have ever seen. Find the joy dude
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote:I can’t argue with your logic but is their any joy in your life? You are the saddest sack I have ever seen. Find the joy dude

I enjoy every win :lol:

But I also do not wear rose-colored glasses. :D
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

colorado game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Our spacing and our defense is so much better without Jeter on the court.

What is Miller going to do when Jeter is "healthy"?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Alieberman wrote:Our spacing and our defense is so much better without Jeter on the court.

Bring him off the bench for 8 - 10 minutes a game
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:What is Miller going to do when Jeter is "healthy"?
Tanya Harding is available.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Finally looking like a tourney team today.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Are we having fun again?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

84Cat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Our spacing and our defense is so much better without Jeter on the court.

Bring him off the bench for 8 - 10 minutes a game
That's what I think we should do, but will Miller actually do it?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

He'd better. We need to keep this momentum going. Jeter can just be hurt the rest of the year.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
97cats

Post by 97cats »

that was an important home stand - even in conf so far heading to ASU and the Pacific Northwest for what are three winnable road games to get on the plus side.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

These last two games reminded my of Miller's Xavier teams. With all the new players is it possible it just took them longer to understand what he wants them to do?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote:These last two games reminded my of Miller's Xavier teams. With all the new players is it possible it just took them longer to understand what he wants them to do?
Playing well at home and playing well on the road are 2 completely different things... especially for freshmen.

This was a good week but we still lots to prove.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Arizona is an infinitely better team with Zeke at the 5 and Jeter not.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:Finally looking like a tourney team today.
For fuck sake
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Great win today. The road trips still worry me, but I will not let it sour today's victory. The team looks better all around with Jeter out.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

WildcatStunner wrote:Great win today. The road trips still worry me, but I will not let it sour today's victory. The team looks better all around with Jeter out.
We have 3 easily winnable road games coming up. If we do worse than 2-1 burn the whole thing to the ground.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I just listened to Miller's post game and he was talking about Stone needing time to adjust to being the starter. Pretty much implied Jeter isn't going to be starting any time soon...
TucsonClip

Colorado Game Thoughts

Post by TucsonClip »

Lets get right to it:

MVP

All due respect to Zeke, and ill briefly get to him later, but Ira was the key to the game. Ill get into the coverage next, but when Ira came in for Stone, the defense was unbelievable and largely due to him. Ira did an amazing job switching ball screens and single-handedly destroyed the CU’s actions.

Later in the first half, things were going so well, Miller adjusted to allow Ira to even switch Wright ball screens. He was quick, chest up, arms wide, and aware. He did an amazing job, undoubtedly some of the best ball screen defense ive seen from anyone under Miller.

All this without even mentioning his impact on the glass, especially the offensive glass, where he was dunking on fools all second half.

Major props to Ira, he deserves ALL the praise today.

Ball Screen Coverages

You wanted adjustments? You got them. And I mean a 180 on coverages.

First, we opened the game switching all non-Wright ball screens that didn’t include Zeke. There were still a few hard hedges off the side with Zeke, but they began to change, so im not sure when Miller made the switch (it was early), and if Zeke was executing properly. That said, this was something I had hoped for, because CU has nobody who can win off the dribble sans Wright.

Second, Miller began showing side and middle ball screens with our bigs, mainly whomever what playing center or defending Wright ball screens.

Third, Miller went to a coverage many here have been calling for. We began switching everything outside whomever was playing the 5. This adjustment destroyed CUs offense, and paved the way for our massive run the last nine minutes of the first half.

Keep in mind, all of the above was in the first half alone.

After halftime, we expected to see more of the same switching scheme. I even thought Miller might start Ira because of how well he was defending. They key to the second half would be how CU was going to be able to adjust to our switching coverage. Well… We adjusted and outflanked Boyle.

Nearly the entire second half we showed/sagged all ball screen. Be it side, middle, Wright, it didn’t matter. This show more of a conservative coverage, as the big defending the screen action is supposed to come up level of the screen and slide until the guard recovers. The sag is even more conservative, as the big adjusts back a few steps off the screen and slides until the guard recovers.

CU had no answer. Wright was stymied, and scored six points in the second half.

All of these coverage adjustments were warranted based on.. wait for it… MATCHUP! CU had nobody else who could attack off the bounce, and Ira not only destroyed their ball screen attacks in the first, but allowed Miller to adjust after the half to screw with Boyle even more.

Zeke

Wow, what a game on the glass. He ripped CUs hearts out of the offensive glass. Nobody had any chance, including the “Pac-12’s best rebounder,” in Bey. Did I mention Bey had four rebounds?

I would have loved to see Zeke get more touches, but Cu did a good job crowding the paint, playing an aggressive ¾ to help deny, and the help was there back side, especially on our sets.

Dylan Smith

Best two game stretch of his career?

For all of us asking him not to dribble, he did so with a giant middle finger out today, as he blew past his man twice, got to the rim, draw Zeke’s defender, and went up and dropped off two bounce pass dimes for Zeke.

Transition Offense

What have I been saying about getting easy looks to propel our offense, especially for Hazzard? 13 fast break points in the first half essentially closed the door on the Buffs today, including two transitions threes for Hazzard.

A Glimpse of Nico’s NBA Potential

12:12 (2H):Here youll see Nico's NBA potential. Comes off the middle ball screen going right, draws the coverage, slows his attack with a hang dribble, weak side defender slides to help, and right handed skip over the top for a wide open Hazzard three.

Spain PNR

I believe we finally busted out a Spain PNR, if I saw it correctly. (was jotting down some notes, so take a look for me)

With 1:20 left in the 1H, you will see the first Spain PNR I recall us running this year. Nico ends up setting the back screen for Zeke, as Nico comes back up top of the key to get the ball. I don’t think we scored though.

For those wondering, a Spain PNR is a set made popular by the Spanish national team, which was then adopted by every team in the NBA. The gist of it is, instead of a regular ball screen, a guard/wing (in this case Nico) steps in from the wing to set a back screen for the big after the initial middle ball screen action. This allows the big to dive to the block and get great position off a back screen, or for the screener to then come off a hand off with the guard running the screen action for an open three, top of the key.

-Shane Battier
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Non-existent rep to you!

Let’s hope Ira can remain in the rotation. He has abilities nobody else on the team possesses.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Fun game and a good win! Lets keep it going
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think it’s clear that this team has it in them to win big games. Even in the losses, we’ve been within striking distance. We just let things snowball vs. St. John’s, Gonzaga and OSU. This team is learning what it takes to win, and Coach Miller is learning which sub patterns and lineups give us the best chance to win. Hopefully we’ll look back at this last weekend as the turning point when Miller’s best postseason team made its FF run.
prh

Post by prh »

Clip, that doesn't fit with the ad nauseam narrative of DWWD...
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

prh wrote:Clip, that doesn't fit with the ad nauseam narrative of DWWD...
It’s our god given right in this country to stick our head in the sand as long as we want. If that’s what we want to do, we can do it.

The rest of us will call out problems when we see them.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

5 of the next 7 on the road.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If we are focused and "on" I'm confident that we can compete with any team this year.

What I'm not confident about is that if we are in a tight game, we have what it takes to make a last second shot. It's been a long time since I've felt good about a Cats team having that in them.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:If we are focused and "on" I'm confident that we can compete with any team this year.

What I'm not confident about is that if we are in a tight game, we have what it takes to make a last second shot. It's been a long time since I've felt good about a Cats team having that in them.
Hazzard.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Good game by the Cats yesterday. The only downer was not getting to see Tad hit with a technical.

Good to see Hazzard continue his hot streak......lets hope this isn't a one-off weekend.

Utah missed a ton of wide open 3's which helped.

We need to beat the scum and split the Washington road trip.

The return trip up to Mesa was ugly (5 hours). There was a multi-fatality multi-vehicle collision around Pinal Air Park road. The debris field was 100 yards long. I'm amazed anyone walked out of that alive.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:If we are focused and "on" I'm confident that we can compete with any team this year.

I feel the same way. You could point to Doutrive’s put-back last year, or Nico’s weird running bounce off the high corner of the backboard in Anaheim, but you’re talking about 1) executing a play on a final possession against a set defense, 2) getting off the shot we want, and 3) the shot going in. If we haven’t seen that, then how can we believe it? It’s like I’m hoping we won’t have a timeout available because I’d rather not let the defense get coached while we put together something we can’t execute anyway. In which case, yes, Nico running in the open floor with Green on his wing and Hazzard running toward the stripe and Neke up ahead. But inbounding from the sideline or walking the ball up the court after a made field goal or free throw? Good grief.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

:( :( Great post Clip. Please keep them coming. I need them because we must be watching different games. I didn't see any of the things you saw in the game I watched. ;>)
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Longhorned wrote:

I feel the same way. You could point to Doutrive’s put-back last year, or Nico’s weird running bounce off the high corner of the backboard in Anaheim, but you’re talking about 1) executing a play on a final possession against a set defense, 2) getting off the shot we want, and 3) the shot going in. If we haven’t seen that, then how can we believe it? It’s like I’m hoping we won’t have a timeout available because I’d rather not let the defense get coached while we put together something we can’t execute anyway. In which case, yes, Nico running in the open floor with Green on his wing and Hazzard running toward the stripe and Neke up ahead. But inbounding from the sideline or walking the ball up the court after a made field goal or free throw? Good grief.
I thought we ran a great last second play at Oregon with Zeke getting a great look from the elbow and was fouled.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

zonagrad wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

I thought we ran a great last second play at Oregon with Zeke getting a great look from the elbow and was fouled.
And Horne put up a great shot against UConn. If the foul on Zeke had been called, that would cure me.

But it’s like being in the wrong place at the wrong time and Neil Diamond’s “America” is playing. Short of chasing that immediately with Matthew Wilder’s “Break My Stride”, you can talk about what ifs all you want, but nothing is going to stop “everywheh around de woild” from blasting repeatedly against the walls of your own brain for the next three weeks.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

And Horne put up a great shot against UConn.

That was after Derrick William's miss and a scramble for the rebound left Horne wide open - not a designed play.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Still, we’re long overdue for another ending like Salim’s shot against the Cowboys, and Hassan’s celebration after it.

“Every time that flag’s unfurled,....”
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

prh wrote:Clip, that doesn't fit with the ad nauseam narrative of DWWD...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:Are we having fun yet?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?