Best/Worst analysts/commentators/announcers

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Postmaster

Re: Best/Worst analysts/commentators/announcers

Post by Postmaster »

pc in NM wrote:Let's give credit where credit is due...

... Joe Crispen (FYI, I never heard of this obscure uclan before Wednesday nite) noted how many times he lost to Lute Olson-coached teams!!
He also mentioned Hassan making him fall over and then dunking on him
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I hope I never hear that douchebag call our games again. "Stuff sounds good before it comes out of my mouth".
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

“Did that make sense?” - said at least four times

Hey gasbag, it’s literally your job to make sense. Try it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

My favorite idoit moment is when Roxy talked about the Indredicoaster at California adventure...

Douchebag asks "Is that based on the Incredibles?"

No, it's based on the film "Incredulous"
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

My 8-year-old daughter knows more about Anaheim than Jon Crispin.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Postmaster wrote:
pc in NM wrote:Let's give credit where credit is due...

... Joe Crispen (FYI, I never heard of this obscure uclan before Wednesday nite) noted how many times he lost to Lute Olson-coached teams!!
He also mentioned Hassan making him fall over and then dunking on him
That one was great!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I felt like he knew he was a gas bag.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Dave Pasch with Walton and Digger Phelps calling the UCLA/ND. Walton and Phelps keep talking over each other. Painful
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Bill just gave out Wooden's phone number, and Digger gave out Bill's in return.

Worth watching this just for that moment.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

AZCatGirl wrote:Bill just gave out Wooden's phone number, and Digger gave out Bill's in return.

Worth watching this just for that moment.
Bill also said Wooden would not answer it.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

dmjcat wrote:Walton was right........running the clock down was idiotic
I don't agree with walton much. usually just mute it when he's talking, but yeah, he was right.

simply idiotic
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

Walton is so annoying. How does he have a job? I guess some people must like his shtick.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

“Honey! Come film me doing this very spontaneous thing, but first let me take the bag out of the garbage can so this stuff doesn’t get messy and I’m going to move the can in front of the microwave because I like the angle on this shot better...”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I know this is b-ball thread but I’m adding Fowler and herbsrreit.
Talk too much. Contradict stuff they already said after it doesn’t happen.
Trying to talk Cajun.
Did I say they just talk too much?
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Am I allowed to add writers? If so, we drew the short straw with CJ Holmes and the Athletic.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

SabinoDrifter wrote:Am I allowed to add writers? If so, we drew the short straw with CJ Holmes and the Athletic.
I do appreciate he at least can provide some insight as to what is happening during the video breakdowns. However, as someone who did these for years, hes still a bit out of his element.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

TucsonClip wrote:
SabinoDrifter wrote:Am I allowed to add writers? If so, we drew the short straw with CJ Holmes and the Athletic.
I do appreciate he at least can provide some insight as to what is happening during the video breakdowns. However, as someone who did these for years, hes still a bit out of his element.
I agree, that isn't bad, but his Twitter feed and written content is pretty meh.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Postmaster wrote:I know this is b-ball thread but I’m adding Fowler and herbsrreit.
Talk too much. Contradict stuff they already said after it doesn’t happen.
Trying to talk Cajun.
Did I say they just talk too much?
Feels like some commentators have forgotten that TV is a visual medium.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Steve Lavin takes over as my LEAST favorite on call guy for Fox...he spent more time talking about how badly we lost at OSU than he did about anything else...he used every adverb to describe our loss there as he personally knows...he ALWAYS shits on Az while he calls them,, never really said anything negative about the Buffs, actually came prepared with knowledge about buffaloes...

Fuck him, he's on mute from now on.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

He felt like a bootleg Walton today. Not a good look.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Steve Lavin takes over as my LEAST favorite on call guy for Fox...he spent more time talking about how badly we lost at OSU than he did about anything else...he used every adverb to describe our loss there as he personally knows...he ALWAYS shits on Az while he calls them,, never really said anything negative about the Buffs, actually came prepared with knowledge about buffaloes...

I saw this comment before I watched the game and was listening for all of this...

He mentioned the OSU loss twice, once in passing for literally 4 seconds and the second time to complement how the Cats turned it around.

He was similarly complementary about Arizona through the whole game. Never did I hear him shit on us in any way. He had nice things to say about each player, Sean Miller, the fans, the atmosphere, and Lute’s legacy.

My only complaint about Lavin is the way he uses three words that mean the same thing to describe an action. A player will drive, enter, and slide into the lane. Pick one. It’s more efficient.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Chicat wrote:A player will drive, enter, and slide into the lane. Pick one. It’s more efficient.
Select, choose, isolate one. Just keep in your stance while you do it and never let em out of your ‘peripheal’ [sic] vision.
Last edited by ByJoveByJingle on Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Chicat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:Steve Lavin takes over as my LEAST favorite on call guy for Fox...he spent more time talking about how badly we lost at OSU than he did about anything else...he used every adverb to describe our loss there as he personally knows...he ALWAYS shits on Az while he calls them,, never really said anything negative about the Buffs, actually came prepared with knowledge about buffaloes...

I saw this comment before I watched the game and was listening for all of this...

He mentioned the OSU loss twice, once in passing for literally 4 seconds and the second time to complement how the Cats turned it around.

He was similarly complementary about Arizona through the whole game. Never did I hear him shit on us in any way. He had nice things to say about each player, Sean Miller, the fans, the atmosphere, and Lute’s legacy.

My only complaint about Lavin is the way he uses three words that mean the same thing to describe an action. A player will drive, enter, and slide into the lane. Pick one. It’s more efficient.
I'm going to disagree with you here, because you're wrong...go back and simply count the "favorable for each team and unfavorable for each team" comments Lavin makes...just in the first half alone he's almost 2-1 favorable for the Buffs and likewise almost 2-1 unfavorable on the Cats...

He used several adverbs to describe us "lolly-gagging/and at Corvallis we were "taken to the woodshed"

He talked about the "missed call on Dylan Smith holding" three different times...he accused Hazzard of acting like Denzel trying to sell a foul...that Green "at times is a bit in a hurry"

At the break after Wright hits the three he says "The three has been their best option", but when they come back from the break he reverses that and says that they need to go inside and NOT rely on the three...

The thing I noticed most is he would talk about Colorado in depth almost EVERY time they scored and remain silent when UofA scored...(which basically means he only talked about specifics 1/3 of the time) and when he did say positive things about UA it was almost with a backhand uncompliment as well...like:

"Arizona has clearly dominated this game, yet it's only a 13 point deficit"...

Here's the way he described Buffs:
"Silky Smooth"/"Perfectly defended by McKinley Wright" (even though Mannions three went in)/

"Colorado has been disjointed"...then the next time he talks about them he says "This Buffalo team will settle down, will find their poise..." then later he talks about how Colorado is either shooting to early or to late in the clock but they will find that middle ground that has allowed them to be so successful this year and then blames the issue on the "atmosphere here at McKale"...(barely mentions the Cats, its all about how the fans have made it hard for them)

He describes every point the Buffs make in the next five minutes (which is not very many) with words like "Perfect pass"...and then does not mention the Cats at all...most of this is just in the first half...and in the second half there's not much he can say because we dominated...

But when you are calling a game and every time the visiting team shoots you comment and then don't ever talk about the dominating team it is obvious that you carry a torch for anyone but the home team.

Lavin CANNOT demonstrate obvious bias he needs to get games to call...but he ALWAYS calls wildcat games like this...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Do you know what is hilarious? Every team in every sport thinks every national guy is biased against them
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Chicat wrote:

I'm going to disagree with you here, because you're wrong...go back and simply count the "favorable for each team and unfavorable for each team" comments Lavin makes...just in the first half alone he's almost 2-1 favorable for the Buffs and likewise almost 2-1 unfavorable on the Cats...

He used several adverbs to describe us "lolly-gagging/and at Corvallis we were "taken to the woodshed"

He talked about the "missed call on Dylan Smith holding" three different times...he accused Hazzard of acting like Denzel trying to sell a foul...that Green "at times is a bit in a hurry"

At the break after Wright hits the three he says "The three has been their best option", but when they come back from the break he reverses that and says that they need to go inside and NOT rely on the three...

The thing I noticed most is he would talk about Colorado in depth almost EVERY time they scored and remain silent when UofA scored...(which basically means he only talked about specifics 1/3 of the time) and when he did say positive things about UA it was almost with a backhand uncompliment as well...like:

"Arizona has clearly dominated this game, yet it's only a 13 point deficit"...

Here's the way he described Buffs:
"Silky Smooth"/"Perfectly defended by McKinley Wright" (even though Mannions three went in)/

"Colorado has been disjointed"...then the next time he talks about them he says "This Buffalo team will settle down, will find their poise..." then later he talks about how Colorado is either shooting to early or to late in the clock but they will find that middle ground that has allowed them to be so successful this year and then blames the issue on the "atmosphere here at McKale"...(barely mentions the Cats, its all about how the fans have made it hard for them)

He describes every point the Buffs make in the next five minutes (which is not very many) with words like "Perfect pass"...and then does not mention the Cats at all...most of this is just in the first half...and in the second half there's not much he can say because we dominated...

But when you are calling a game and every time the visiting team shoots you comment and then don't ever talk about the dominating team it is obvious that you carry a torch for anyone but the home team.

Lavin CANNOT demonstrate obvious bias he needs to get games to call...but he ALWAYS calls wildcat games like this...
So...was he wrong though?

We DID get taken to the woodshed at OSU.
Dylan DID blatantly grab Wrights jersey on a fast break.
Hazard DID try selling that foul when he barely got touched.
Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Who hurt you? Why are so sensitive about how a commentator talks about your team? Put your big boy pants on and grow up.

Also, if hear the phrase “tickle the twine” one more time I might vomit.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think folks don't understand is what he is doing is selling a chance at a comeback so causal viewers don't change channels in a blowout. I think he has been fair with Az when the game is in the balance....when it is not he keeps the hope factor alive.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I like Lavs.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:I like Lavs.
Me too.

Give me Lavin over Walton every day and twice on Sundays.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I like Lavin. Great guy, terrible coach.
loomer

Post by loomer »

Never minded Lavin at all, and the old Lavinburger team back in the 2000's on ESPN could be pretty entertaining. It does seem like he's gotten worse since that time though.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

loomer wrote:Never minded Lavin at all, and the old Lavinburger team back in the 2000's on ESPN could be pretty entertaining. It does seem like he's gotten worse since that time though.
Gotten worse, regressed, taken a step back, and devolved?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Lavin is a good guy. Watched him since he made the move from UCLA into the studio. Smartest CBB coach since Al McGuire.

Try getting through a game on ESPN listening to Vitale, Dan Dakich or that chicken-fried putz Jimmy Dykes, and you'll be on your knees willing to do literally ANYthing to hear Lavin on our games again.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
Who hurt you? Why are so sensitive about how a commentator talks about your team? Put your big boy pants on and grow up.

Maybe change out of your hello kitty panties and put on a pair of big boy underpants there...who hurt you? Does the word "twine" send you into spasms?

See how that works?

If I don't like the way an announcer calls our games, I am completely entitled to feel that way, same as you.

Lavine might have been a good coach (and frankly I liked him then), that does not mean he's a good announcer, I am tired of assuming that anyone who has been involved with the game should be allowed to call a game, the two are not the same thing.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Lavin is solid
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I just rewatched the first half with sound. I have no idea what CatFanOneMil is talking about with Lavin. Lavin called it very well.

CatFanOneMil=Bobby Hurley

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:

Maybe change out of your hello kitty panties and put on a pair of big boy underpants there...who hurt you? Does the word "twine" send you into spasms?

See how that works?

If I don't like the way an announcer calls our games, I am completely entitled to feel that way, same as you.

Lavine might have been a good coach (and frankly I liked him then), that does not mean he's a good announcer, I am tired of assuming that anyone who has been involved with the game should be allowed to call a game, the two are not the same thing.
You’re entitled to your opinion. And we are entitled to disagree with your opinion. And you’re entitled to disagree with our disagreement because if anything, this life is a wheel within a wheel and our universe is probably a cancerous cell floating along in a pimple on the ass of the giant space dog Tom Cruise worships.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I didn’t hear the CU lean and AZ HATE after watching the game a couple times. Lavin was not his usual gushing self concerning ya but for me, anyone other than Walton is a breath of fresh air.

When comes to announcers to each his own.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Yeah I heard absolutely no Arizona hate
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I like Lavs.
Me too.
me three
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Just wanted to chime in and say Lavs is great relative to the options out there. CatFan is crazy on this one, and whoever said he’s doing his best to sell a comeback so casual viewers don’t change channel is absolutely correct. Broadcasters are taught to never say things like “you can turn this one off because this game is over” w more than a minute or two left because ratings = ad revenue. Everyone should know this.

I actually think Lavs is a knowledgeable PAC guy and there’s only about 4-5 guys on the air I’d take over him.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

People wonder why Mark Jackson can't get a coaching job? Listen to him call games, including trying his best to ruin the call for everyone during Zions debut.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TucsonClip wrote:People wonder why Mark Jackson can't get a coaching job? Listen to him call games, including trying his best to ruin the call for everyone during Zions debut.
Mark Jackson is just a miserable bastard. I caught him on a Warriors game like 3 years after he was fired and it sounded like he had lost that job that morning.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

PennZona20 wrote:Just wanted to chime in and say Lavs is great relative to the options out there. CatFan is crazy on this one, and whoever said he’s doing his best to sell a comeback so casual viewers don’t change channel is absolutely correct. Broadcasters are taught to never say things like “you can turn this one off because this game is over” w more than a minute or two left because ratings = ad revenue. Everyone should know this.

I actually think Lavs is a knowledgeable PAC guy and there’s only about 4-5 guys on the air I’d take over him.
I could be wrong about Lav...I am just very suspicious of ALL commentators since they seem to carry a bit of "stained tone" when calling for Arizona...its like all of them have drunk the cool-aid that Miller is a closet cheater who just hasn't been caught...I don't find the hesitancy to praise Miller from commentators towards ANY other coach out there...hell half of them are on Bill Self's side and there are tapes...

I am at the point where I will not normalize someone simply NOT saying bad stuff about Az/Miller...since just about all of them will praise other coaches/teams...

Just because you don't say bad things like everyone else does not mean you are not biased...Upi don't have to be as blatant Dickie V or Jeff Goodman to be biased against Miller...just never praise him.

Maybe Lav is a decent guy just trying to do a job in spite of a pile of shit on the team he is covering...but someone needs to stand up and stop pretending like there is not a media broadcast bias against Miller...thats the reason Walton gets to cll so many games, he is polarizing and will say anything at all any time he wants...and frankly he's the ONLY broadcaster who hs gotten close to calling out ESPN's hit job on UA...he's dropped hints and allegations about the last two seasons...

I no longer accept "Not making up shit against Miller" as a normal standard for covering our games...say something good once in while its been 3 years of shitting on us by the majority of them.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but Lavin did praise Miller. He gave him all the credit for having the team ready to go after that terrible road trip and getting shellacked by OSU.

But all you heard was the part about how bad we played at OSU....
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ted Robinson: “Coming into tonight, Oregon State’s NET rating was 69...”

Richard Jefferson: “Nice”

:lol:
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

RJ is the kind of asshole that is really good at everything he does

I hate people like that
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Alieberman wrote:RJ is the kind of asshole that is really good at everything he does

I hate people like that
Best line of RJ to the media (a Phoenix TV reporter) during his UA career:

2000 loss to Wisconsin in 2nd round in Salt Lake immediately after the "cool down" period.

Phoenix reporter: Richard, what was the mood in the locker room?
RJ: Is was really great, fantastic. Lots of laughs. How do you think the mood was? What kind of question is that?

That was RJ his sophomore season. Even then he wasn't always going to be PC.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Richard Jefferson, sitting next to Jay Williams on the NBA pre-game show, when Rachel Nichols points out they played against each other in the 2001 NCAA championship game:

"I don't like him."

:lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

You can make a good case that the ongoing Cologuard Classic has a better leaderboard than the PGA Tour’s Honda Classic in Florida.

Answer this: Who would you rather watch in Sunday’s final round if selecting from the top 10 at each event?

In Tucson, the best of the top 10 includes Stricker, Couples, Jimenez, Langer and John Daly.

In Florida, the best of the top 10 includes Luke Donald, Lee Westwood, Tommy Fleetwood, Charl Schwartzel and, for Tucson purposes, former UA golfer Rory Sabbatini.

I’ll take the older guys.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion