let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: let's talk '20

Post by zonagrad »

CalStateTempe wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Well I hope you guys warm up to the idea of transfers, because of this new rule of making guys eligible immediately upon transferring, wooooooo we're going to lose plenty and add plenty.
It will conceivably make roster stability that much more complicated. AZ is already losing players prematurely at an alarming rate, just image when these guys can transfer without any penalty?
Yup.

Are they having fun?

You’re at Arizona; you compete daily against the best, you should be having fun.

I suspect DWWD isn’t a lot of “fun”

Especially when your talent is limited in a midmajor style of play.
And yet recruits continue to sign up for what you call DWWD. Maybe you should ask them why. You seem so much more well informed on the inner workings of Sean Miller and his style than the recruits and their families. How so?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dude,

It’s clear from my posting I know shit about the inner workings. That said, a fair question is “are thy having fun” after practicing and playing Miller ball for a season.

Our attrition is abysmal when many of these players could be very good 3-4 year players AND have a legit shot at league.

Take Nico, he’s not ready for the league, but we all know he’s gonna bail. The team always looks so tight in the games/moments where it matters the most.

Outcomes are a reflection of leadership and the system in place. I think is a fair subjective question to ask if the players are having fun? They sure as hell don’t play like they are.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CalStateTempe wrote:Dude,

It’s clear from my posting I know shit about the inner workings. That said, a fair question is “are thy having fun” after practicing and playing Miller ball for a season.

Our attrition is abysmal when many of these players could be very good 3-4 year players AND have a legit shot at league.

Take Nico, he’s not ready for the league, but we all know he’s gonna bail. The team always looks so tight in the games/moments where it matters the most.

Outcomes are a reflection of leadership and the system in place. It think is a fair subjective question to ask if the players are having fun? They sure as hell don’t play like they are.
The ONLY reason Nico is here is because he HAD to wait a year to go league.

Nowadays, few players go league based upon reasonable planning - they go league because they can make a choice, on their own - and, they’ll have some cash in their pocket with lots of free time to spend it.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Dude,

Outcomes are a reflection of leadership and the system in place. It think is a fair subjective question to ask if the players are having fun? They sure as hell don’t play like they are.
The ONLY reason Nico is here is because he HAD to wait a year to go league.

Nowadays, few players go league based upon reasonable planning - they go league because they can make a choice, on their own - and, they’ll have some cash in their pocket with lots of free time to spend it.
Arizona needs to start recruiting players that actually care about Arizona.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote: Take Nico, he’s not ready for the league, but we all know he’s gonna bail. The team always looks so tight in the games/moments where it matters the most.

Outcomes are a reflection of leadership and the system in place. I think is a fair subjective question to ask if the players are having fun? They sure as hell don’t play like they are.
I think this is wholly accurate, and if you’re seeing it differently, I must be smoking some potent product. But I haven’t smoked in years, you see.

Nico looked like a deer in headlights *before* the game even started. Like, he was about to have a miserable time over the next couple hours. Compare that to Pritchard who was dancing, smiling, and knocking down 30 footers. Granted, Pritchard is older, sure. But Nico’s the one projected as a lotto pick. Nico’s the one whose arrival in Tucson has been heralded for the past 18 months.

It’s not just Nico, of course. The joylessness of this team spreads right on down the bench. And guys, it starts with Miller. He looks like a damn mess during the game. He’s not loose or poised. He always looks like his eyes are about to burst out of his head and roll out to midcourt.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Any word on how Akinjo and Jordon Brown are playing in practice and competing?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:Any word on how Akinjo and Jordon Brown are playing in practice and competing?
I mean they're both starters next year, so that says something I guess.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote: Take Nico, he’s not ready for the league, but we all know he’s gonna bail. The team always looks so tight in the games/moments where it matters the most.

I think this is wholly accurate, and if you’re seeing it differently, I must be smoking some potent product. But I haven’t smoked in years, you see.

Nico looked like a deer in headlights *before* the game even started. Like, he was about to have a miserable time over the next couple hours. Compare that to Pritchard who was dancing, smiling, and knocking down 30 footers. Granted, Pritchard is older, sure. But Nico’s the one projected as a lotto pick. Nico’s the one whose arrival in Tucson has been heralded for the past 18 months.

It’s not just Nico, of course. The joylessness of this team spreads right on down the bench. And guys, it starts with Miller. He looks like a damn mess during the game. He’s not loose or poised. He always looks like his eyes are about to burst out of his head and roll out to midcourt.
So one of the reason one of our best recruits came here is because he said the intensity that Miller coaches with and the desire to win and the fact that other players felt that same way when they lost (during his official visit) was important to him.. Nico is leaving for one reason....the league is telling him he is ready and will make him a millionaire to leave and reach his dream. Mannion outplayed Prichard by far in the first game. Look at the box score. Why would Mannion be afraid and look like a deer in the headlights? Is Miller intense during games....you bet....that is important to me. Losses matter and they should bother you and your team should care. If that changes he is gone and all booster will back that. I think the way to judge whether there is affection between a coach and players is their support and relationship after they leave. Ask TJ what his thoughts are.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

TheCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

So one of the reason one of our best recruits came here is because he said the intensity that Miller coaches with and the desire to win and the fact that other players felt that same way when they lost (during his official visit) was important to him.. Nico is leaving for one reason....the league is telling him he is ready and will make him a millionaire to leave and reach his dream. Mannion outplayed Prichard by far in the first game. Look at the box score. Why would Mannion be afraid and look like a deer in the headlights? Is Miller intense during games....you bet....that is important to me. Losses matter and they should bother you and your team should care. If that changes he is gone and all booster will back that. I think the way to judge whether there is affection between a coach and players is their support and relationship after they leave. Ask TJ what his thoughts are.
20 points (9-17 fg), 3 reb, 3 ast, 1 stl, 6 turnovers, team lost
18 points (6-21 fg), 7 reb, 6 ast, 3 stl, 4 turnovers, team won

by far, eh?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Jefe wrote:Heard his parents want him to stay for 1 more and this guy wouldn't say it if it wasn't true
If Zeke stays do we have a better shot at getting Walton too?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
Jefe wrote:Heard his parents want him to stay for 1 more and this guy wouldn't say it if it wasn't true
We're probably going to land Walton regardless.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:
We're probably going to land Walton regardless.
Nice. Hopefully he can actually shoot well. Unlike some guys we have now that are streaky at best. Thanks for the insight.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Soooo lineup of

G- Akinjo
G- ?
SF- Terry
PF- Brown
C - Koloko
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Brandon Williams?
eoe

Post by eoe »

azgreg wrote:Brandon Williams?

Not going to project unknowns at this point like Ziaire Williams and Walton
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg wrote:Brandon Williams?
Possibly Baker or a grad transfer
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If he's an undersized shooting guard whose defense Miller can't afford to take off the bench, he should fit right in.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:If he's an undersized shooting guard whose defense Miller can't afford to take off the bench, he should fit right in.
I mean if it ain't broke don't fix it right?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:If he's an undersized shooting guard whose defense Miller can't afford to take off the bench, he should fit right in.
ugh wtf...volume scorers as grad transfers just never work imo, doesn't matter what school they go to.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He is listed at 5'11", so probably 5'6" when his hair is flattened.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
ugh wtf...volume scorers as grad transfers just never work imo, doesn't matter what school they go to.
I honestly don't know wtf he is. The dude was literally the entire team. He took 37 shots in a game to score 38 in a 2 OT game though, so that's awesome.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I honestly don't know wtf he is. The dude was literally the entire team. He took 37 shots in a game to score 38 in a 2 OT game though, so that's awesome.
yeah, I'm basing my assessment just off of his stats, so I would like to see some tape/highlights, but just doesn't seem like a fit for what we need (basically a 3 and D type of guard imo).
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Looks like he can play right away. 20pt’s a game last year and has over 1k points for a career. Seems like a solid add.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Will be competing with Baker for minutes.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote:Will be competing with Baker for minutes.
Jemarl needed competition, and good insurance for Akinjo missing first semester as Choo and others have discussed. Seems like we may play a decent amount of time with two of Akinjo, Terrell Brown, and Jemarl on the floor together as somewhat of a two-PG lineup...should be interesting.

I had sort of been assuming Mathurin was going to come in and make the 2-guard spot his...maybe he'll do that at the 3 over Terry.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

FWIW this is probably not the only combo guard we are taking if things go right.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:FWIW this is probably not the only combo guard we are taking if things go right.
Interesting...is it time to let the Ziaire hopes die, or could he still end up in Tucson?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:FWIW this is probably not the only combo guard we are taking if things go right.
Wow...then we most definitely will be playing a system with two PGs/combo guards at once. Very interesting. International? I don't think I've seen us seriously connected with any more combo guard transfers.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Do you consider Walton a combo guard?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
No I do not. He's a 2-3.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Interesting...is it time to let the Ziaire hopes die, or could he still end up in Tucson?
He could still end up in Tucson. No one knows what's going on in this one though including the schools.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
No I do not. He's a 2-3.
CG a transfer or one of the international's we are chasing?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
No I do not. He's a 2-3.
International.

Either way keywords are 'if things go right.'
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
No I do not. He's a 2-3.
International.

Either way keywords are 'if things go right.'
I take that intimates there are other factors outside of just this international making the decision to come to the states and choose AZ.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:
This would be crazy. How about a Koloko, Haarms, Brown frontcourt?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
I mean, that would be great and all, but if transfers and freshmen can’t grasp Sean’s system with a full offseason, how shitty are we going to look with a Covid19-induced abbreviated offseason?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
I mean, that would be great and all, but if transfers and freshmen can’t grasp Sean’s system with a full offseason, how shitty are we going to look with a Covid19-induced abbreviated offseason?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is there any AZ/Haarms connection, or are we entering this recruitment without any edge whatsoever?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Is there any AZ/Haarms connection, or are we entering this recruitment without any edge whatsoever?
He had 5 blocks against us in Atlantis. Outside of that? No.

It's far more likely Arizona addresses its post depth via the international route than it does via Haarms.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

CCC, is the international big a post or stretch type player? 4 or 5?

We need more of stretch as none of our current bigs are shooters. Brown may have more of a shot, but lee and koloko are dunkers.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:CCC, is the international big a post or stretch type player? 4 or 5?

We need more of stretch as none of our current bigs are shooters. Brown may have more of a shot, but lee and koloko are dunkers.
Truthfully I don't know who the post is. I have an idea who he may be, but I'm far from certain. I just know whoever he is is an option.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Call me crazy, but I love the idea of pairing Koloko and Haarms on the defensive end. Wow.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Call me crazy, but I love the idea of pairing Koloko and Haarms on the defensive end. Wow.
That molasses slow rotation and help D would be disastrous. Haarms would be a great get, much more polished offensively, have him playing 25 min and Koloko 15 min.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

I'm pretty concerned we're going to lose Walton now that UNC has a scholarship for him....
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

goslingswagg wrote:I'm pretty concerned we're going to lose Walton now that UNC has a scholarship for him....
Only their 6th transfer in 17 years, I think we have that many in the last 5 years. Additionally, rarely do you see the Brandon Randolph's, Chance Comanche's, Kobi Simmon's of the world leaving before they should be. Maybe we should start giving these HS players those multi year contracts UNC must be giving them.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Roy Williams is absolutely buttfucking Sean Miller in this recruiting class.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

gronk4heisman wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:I'm pretty concerned we're going to lose Walton now that UNC has a scholarship for him....
Only their 6th transfer in 17 years, I think we have that many in the last 5 years. Additionally, rarely do you see the Brandon Randolph's, Chance Comanche's, Kobi Simmon's of the world leaving before they should be. Maybe we should start giving these HS players those multi year contracts UNC must be giving them.
Or maybe they don’t play for a stodgy, non fun, inflexible, glorified, mid major of a coach, who consistently has failed to deliver over the past 5 years.