let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: let's talk '20

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote:
97cats wrote:Haarms has played in a lot of big battle tested game and would give Arizona size (he’s a legit 7’3) athleticism, and shot blocking paired with Koloko that few teams could match - add in a 6’11 Brown and Miller is a few pieces away from scrapping it together again.
Except college ball is still all about the guards, no?

I was thinking the same thing, something Lute learned after the Tucson Skyline.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Haarms gives Miller a better chance to put 20 wins on the board - at this point ive got to believe thats his realistic goal if he was forced to answer.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

97cats wrote:Haarms gives Miller a better chance to put 20 wins on the board - at this point ive got to believe thats his realistic goal if he was forced to answer.
....yiiiiiiiiikes
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Sure feels like any recruiting momentum or mojo Miller once had is just about gone.
If he lands one or both of the Euros it'll significantly improve next year's team IMO. I really really like the post player if we can get him.
So is Arizona chasing 3 euros?

Scheer has kinda hinted at chasing two international kids who play similar positions.

I doubt Arizona would be chasing 2 bigs, unless the other one is a 3/4 combo? Which makes me think it's two guards/wings players
There's 2 Euros and they play completely different positions.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:Haarms gives Miller a better chance to put 20 wins on the board - at this point ive got to believe thats his realistic goal if he was forced to answer.
I think it's conceivable if Akinjo can play day 1 and he lands the Euro guard he can get 22-24ish wins. Maybe not likely, but it's certainly conceivable.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I think it's conceivable if Akinjo can play day 1 and he lands the Euro guard he can get 22-24ish wins. Maybe not likely, but it's certainly conceivable.
Is it the same Euro guard you mentioned months ago?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
i would agree with this and thus continue your nightmare :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go cats!!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
i would agree with this and thus continue your nightmare :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go cats!!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Isn’t Terry a combo forward?
No.
So here's more of a straight 3, then? Which AZ player would you compare him to?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
No.
He's a wing. His game most resembles a more athletic Luke Walton.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
No.
A more athletic Walton? That's very high praise. Isn't Solomon Hill a more athletic Walton?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
No.
A more athletic Walton? That's very high praise. Isn't Solomon Hill a more athletic Walton?
Was he though?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
No.
:lol:

I assume he means a more athletic Walton as a freshman, not a more athletic Walton as a fifth year senior.

And if you say ‘I don’t remember much about Walton early in his career’ that’d be you and me both.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:
:lol:

I assume he means a more athletic Walton as a freshman, not a more athletic Walton as a fifth year senior.

And if you say ‘I don’t remember much about Walton early in his career’ that’d be you and me both.
He's a wing known more for his passing that is a capable shooter here and there.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Choo any timetable for when these dudes may decide? Gershon and Scheer won’t say names but said today Arizona leads for both international guys.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Choo any timetable for when these dudes may decide? Gershon and Scheer won’t say names but said today Arizona leads for both international guys.
I have no idea what the hold up is with the guard, could be today, could be tomorrow, could be another month or 3. As far as the post guy goes I barely learned his identity, so I'm not sure on his ultimate status.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

And Haarms? I can't see why he'd be in a rush unless he's already got his mind made up.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Are these international guys prepping in the states or overseas?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

On paper, next year's team should be competitive, but it doesn't seem like what has been on paper has translated to the floor in recent years, either because the players are overrated or the coaching is substandard. Could be a bit of both. Either way, shooting for 20 wins is depressing when the bar used to be set much higher.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

30+ wines = Final Four Category
28+ wins = ELITE plus
25+ wins = Conf Champ
21+ wins = NCAA Tournament Team
20+ wins = Plus Conf Team

*my scale opinion only
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

97cats wrote:30+ wines = Final Four Category
30+ wines = The weekend

:D
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:Are these international guys prepping in the states or overseas?
They're overseas and have been playing professionally, but not being paid.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

That is so Miller and Arizona LOL
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

azcat49 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Isn’t this what Gonzaga does so well?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ASU got the #10 player in the country if it makes anyone feel better
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

zonagrad wrote:
azcat49 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Isn’t this what Gonzaga does so well?

Trust me, I am very pro Miller. I just thought that sounded like the current non AZ fan narrative(paying players) and yes, Gonzaga has done this really better than anyone
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:ASU got the #10 player in the country if it makes anyone feel better
Well they did give his clubbed foot brother a scholarship after all.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:ASU got the #10 player in the country if it makes anyone feel better
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Lol once an Arizona target FFS Bruce.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Pascoe throwing shit against the wall and hoping it ends up looking like the Mona Lisa.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

A lot of people on here complaining about the recruiting class are the same ones complaining about OnD players. Do you guys want them or not? You seem to want the long term 3-4 star guys, but when we miss out on 5* guys, and end up with what you’ve been asking for...”Miller has lost his touch.” But hey, as long as it fits your narrative.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:A lot of people on here complaining about the recruiting class are the same ones complaining about OnD players. Do you guys want them or not? You seem to want the long term 3-4 star guys, but when we miss out on 5* guys, and end up with what you’ve been asking for...”Miller has lost his touch.” But hey, as long as it fits your narrative.
I've seen a lot of this type of "you guys don't know what you want" posts lately and it's pretty disingenuous.

It's real easy to boil down what most people want. People want to be competitive right now, while at the same time building for a brighter future. In other words they want their cake and eat it too. So we're building for out future with at the moment Dalen Terry and Bennedict Mathurin, but most don't see us being competitive right away, which is why Ziaire Williams was important. He would help us be competitive right away.

It's really not all that complicated. We don't want a bunch of one and dones at one time like this past year, but with how we've painted ourselves into a corner we could really use one right now for next season. It is what it is.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
It's really not all that complicated. We don't want a bunch of one and dones at one time like this past year, but with how we've painted ourselves into a corner we could really use one right now for next season. It is what it is.
Perfectly said.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:A lot of people on here complaining about the recruiting class are the same ones complaining about OnD players. Do you guys want them or not? You seem to want the long term 3-4 star guys, but when we miss out on 5* guys, and end up with what you’ve been asking for...”Miller has lost his touch.” But hey, as long as it fits your narrative.
I've seen a lot of this type of "you guys don't know what you want" posts lately and it's pretty disingenuous.

It's real easy to boil down what most people want. People want to be competitive right now, while at the same time building for a brighter future. In other words they want their cake and eat it too. So we're building for out future with at the moment Dalen Terry and Bennedict Mathurin, but most don't see us being competitive right away, which is why Ziaire Williams was important. He would help us be competitive right away.

Retweet.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I’m not saying most people. I’m saying Ive seen/heard (not limited to this board) people who don’t want one and domes at all complain when Miller doesn’t lNd them. I fully grasp and relish the idea of mixing one elite player and 2-4 4* players and transfers in each class. I too dislike having to restock half of our players every year for one reason or another. I just wish some of these kids were humble and could understand the long game, instead of getting antsy and transferring/going pro too early if they can’t be a star immediately. (GJ, Kobe, Comanche, Akot)
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Not sure your point since we did not end up with One and Done players or long term 3-4 star guys this year. We had, what 7 openings? And we are bringing in two High School guys who could be here long term (I don't think Dalen is planning being here more than 2 years similar to others around his ranking) and zero one and done guys. We missed out and under recruited a bunch of players in the 50 -150 area that should be our primary recruiting area. If we don't land Walton, which sounds likely, the short term and long term does not look very bright to me.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

The insanity of Miller's recruiting strategy is that he's always bringing In a 5-6 man class every single year. Such big classes just don't generally work out (unless it's like John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins class).

One and dones/grad transfers contribute to that because you'll always need to replace them with the same type of players who'll play over the 2-4 year guys who'll take longer to develop. So then they transfer.

It's the huge downside of being in win now mode all the time. No one would care if we only got 1 or 2 of a 1nD/GT to complete a team. ASU getting Christopher with likely White/Martin back isnhow you do it right.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:... ASU getting Christopher with likely White/Martin back isnhow you do it right.
...go back to Phoenix!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

It's likely Martin and White return? I dunno about that. Maybe White.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
Not sure your point since we did not end up with One and Done players or long term 3-4 star guys this year. We had, what 7 openings? And we are bringing in two High School guys who could be here long term (I don't think Dalen is planning being here more than 2 years similar to others around his ranking) and zero one and done guys. We missed out and under recruited a bunch of players in the 50 -150 area that should be our primary recruiting area. If we don't land Walton, which sounds likely, the short term and long term does not look very bright to me.
If we land the two Euros they'd be rated in the 50-100 range if not a bit higher.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
If we land the two Euros they'd be rated in the 50-100 range if not a bit higher.
That would be a good end to this class in that case, IMO. That would give you a solid core of guys who could stay for a few years. Hopefully Miller and/or our next coach can actually develop and retain these guys.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
Gershon said they're also not one and done caliber. So realistically could have every position filled for the next couple of years.

PG: Akinjo/Euro kid
SG: ___/Walton(?)/Euro Kid who can play dual PGs/Mathurin
SF: Terry/Mathurin
PF: Brown/euro big
C: Koloko/euro big

Of course that's if Miller gets both Euros and if that's the case idk how Miller recruits. Jay Wright after getting his core will get recruiting classes of only 1-2 players. Of course he would have to recruit for depth but hopefully he takes the time to let them play and develop.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

We also have Baker for two more years and if a miracle happens and Brandon Williams can come back, he would have three years of eligibility remaining.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

gronk4heisman wrote:We also have Baker for two more years and if a miracle happens and Brandon Williams can come back, he would have three years of eligibility remaining.
Completely forgot Baker. He should be a good role player and backup for PG/SG.

Williams, I'm not counting on at all. I think he becomes another Ray Smith. Even if he does play we don't know how much skill, athleticism, explosiveness he loses or if he's more timid because of his injuries and how that affects how he plays.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Gershon also said both euros are well seasoned and would be ready for big roles immediately. If we land both my lineup looks like this.

Akinjo
Euro
Mathurin
Euro
Koloko/JBrown

I gave the nod to Mathurin at the 3 because his body is college ready, he’s a freak athlete and can score at all 3 levels. His length and athleticism give him great potential as a defender. I think he’s much better than his ranking.

At the 4 I went with the euro. Highly skilled guy. If JBrown is starting there than that’s a great sign for us.

Off the bench we have good depth at each position. Brown, Baker, Terry, Koloko/Brown, Ira Lee and whatever Bwill can give us is a bonus. Sounds like he’ll give it a go. I love the makeup of that roster and potential of that team. Excited to see how the roster shapes up.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Let’s get these two euro guys and Haarms and shock the world!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Gershon said they're also not one and done caliber. So realistically could have every position filled for the next couple of years.

Of course that's if Miller gets both Euros and if that's the case idk how Miller recruits. Jay Wright after getting his core will get recruiting classes of only 1-2 players. Of course he would have to recruit for depth but hopefully he takes the time to let them play and develop.
That actually looks like a decent depth chart to me. It's not national contender level, but it is what it is. I'd really like to see Walton and Haarms commit. Would be a nice boost.

Fwiw, the best Pac rosters heading into next season are Oregon (provided they keep everyone), ASU, USC, Stanford and UCLA.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:

That actually looks like a decent depth chart to me. It's not national contender level, but it is what it is. I'd really like to see Walton and Haarms commit. Would be a nice boost.

Fwiw, the best Pac rosters heading into next season are Oregon (provided they keep everyone), ASU, USC, Stanford and UCLA.
That depth chart is missing Jemarl Baker, Terrell Brown, and Ira Lee as well. I think a lot is riding on these next couple additions...if we get Kriisa and the euro big/Haarms, I believe we'd be looking at a back-end top 25 team next year. Big ifs, however.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

goslingswagg wrote:
That depth chart is missing Jemarl Baker, Terrell Brown, and Ira Lee as well. I think a lot is riding on these next couple additions...if we get Kriisa and the euro big/Haarms, I believe we'd be looking at a back-end top 25 team next year. Big ifs, however.
Definitely some big ifs. But if Miller is as good a coach as many here think he is, he should be in a decent position with this roster. No OADs, decent number of guys returning from last year, and some good additions to the roster. Let's see what Miller can do.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:

You have to be assuming Martin and White return for ASSU because past that their roster really isn’t that good that I can see. They need those guards for their dribble drive attack to work