let's talk '21

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: let's talk '21

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah, I have zero interest in one-and-dones. I don't want the people around them, and I think having these players is bad for the game, bad for programs, and bad for universities. I feel like I've endured enough of them. If they're going to continue in college basketball, I'd rather see them elsewhere than Arizona.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:Yeah, I have zero interest in one-and-dones. I don't want the people around them, and I think having these players is bad for the game, bad for programs, and bad for universities. I feel like I've endured enough of them. If they're going to continue in college basketball, I'd rather see them elsewhere than Arizona.
Ditto!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

OADs in moderate consumption are good for your program i.e. to fill a hole on a very good team already (Gordon, Stanley, Lauri). Going heavy on them however...yeah.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

There is also two types of OADs.
Ayton type and Josh Green type.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

ChooChooCat wrote:OADs in moderate consumption are good for your program i.e. to fill a hole on a very good team already (Gordon, Stanley, Lauri). Going heavy on them however...yeah.
That's what I was thinking. It's okay to have them if you also have great players that stick around a couple years and can contribute at a high level. Those elite 8 teams a couple years ago had a good mix of oads and longer-tenured players like a Nick Johnson. When you're only relying on oads that's when it gets tricky
I said what I said and I mean it.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

OAD's who are actual OAD talents are worth it (Ayton, Lauri, Gordon). It is the OAD's who are not who I would consider a OAD talent but still only stay one year who are not worth it (Nico, Josh, Kobi, Stanley, Jerrett). The hard part is figuring out where the recruits fall, though I would argue Ayton and Lauri were pretty obvious.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Just because fans would love to see players stay in the Arizona uni for a longer period of time, doesn't mean Arizona should pass on awesome talent that only desires to play for one season. SMH
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:OADs in moderate consumption are good for your program i.e. to fill a hole on a very good team already (Gordon, Stanley, Lauri). Going heavy on them however...yeah.
Team fit has to be the priority in these cases. Both on and off the court. If either is not there then I think it is more detrimental to team success than helpful. Even if you have minutes for a OAD at a position, if they are not buying into team it may not really be a benefit for that year or following years.

Not commenting in any way on Banchero/Hardy/Brown etc in terms of off the court fit. In general looking at next years roster (assuming everyone is back), not sure Hardy fits as we are pretty deep in the backcourt. Banchero seems to have unique skills that would be a fit.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
Team fit has to be the priority in these cases. Both on and off the court. If either is not there then I think it is more detrimental to team success than helpful. Even if you have minutes for a OAD at a position, if they are not buying into team it may not really be a benefit for that year or following years.

Not commenting in any way on Banchero/Hardy/Brown etc in terms of off the court fit. In general looking at next years roster (assuming everyone is back), not sure Hardy fits as we are pretty deep in the backcourt. Banchero seems to have unique skills that would be a fit.
There's always guys you have to make room for. For instance we knew taking Ayton would lead to what happened with Comanche, but yeah you don't pass up a talent like that to hold on to what I think was a very solid talent in Comanche. It's all about fit and risk vs. reward for sure.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:

There's always guys you have to make room for. For instance we knew taking Ayton would lead to what happened with Comanche, but yeah you don't pass up a talent like that to hold on to what I think was a very solid talent in Comanche. It's all about fit and risk vs. reward for sure.
Agreed on Ayton. Additionally, from all accounts, he was a good fit off the court and as a teammate. WRT Comanche, my recollection was he was not so keen on the academic part of his tenure at Arizona. So he was probably unlikely to stay a year after Ayton, when he would have been the talent I think you (fore)saw.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:

Agreed on Ayton. Additionally, from all accounts, he was a good fit off the court and as a teammate. WRT Comanche, my recollection was he was not so keen on the academic part of his tenure at Arizona. So he was probably unlikely to stay a year after Ayton, when he would have been the talent I think you (fore)saw.
If we didn't have one of Ayton/Dusan, he would've returned. He wasn't big on school, but returning in a situation where he was very likely a starter was a much better alternative than leaving just cause he didn't like school. The fact that he wasn't going to be a starter as a junior was what led to his decision.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

So he chose to not play at all?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote:So he chose to not play at all?
He gets PT in the G league lol
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Postmaster wrote:So he chose to not play at all?
Exactly. He would not have been a starter, but he would have likely received significant minutes on a potentially great team. Very shortsighted decision.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Looks like Millers pursuit of international players is going to continue
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Looking forward, we would have 2 open scholarships for the class of ‘21. I am curious if the staff actually views it as 3 with the other Tubelis’ scholarship.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Lee
Brown
And possibly both Lithuanians?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

My guess is when it all shakes out there will be 3-4 spots available. Always a transfer or two or somebody leaving for the pros early.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Miller pursuing another Euro

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/A ... 147883567/" target="_blank
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I wonder how this foreign recruiting strategy by so many schools now might impact Gonzaga or a St Mary’s? Certainly they now have more competition
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:I wonder how this foreign recruiting strategy by so many schools now might impact Gonzaga or a St Mary’s? Certainly they now have more competition
About 3/4 of St. Mary's roster is from Australia/New Zealand, although they do land a euro or two here and there. As far as the Zags go there's plenty of Euros to go around.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm not sure what year this would be for... but I'm all for it
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I believe he's in the 2022 class.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is Elvis a OAD-type talent?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Is Elvis a OAD-type talent?
Not at the moment, but Zeke wasn't supposed to be either.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Good point. Well, Zeke was a heck of a player as a freshman and clearly had strong parenting/mentoring. Would love to have another Nnaji.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Good point. Well, Zeke was a heck of a player as a freshman and clearly had strong parenting/mentoring. Would love to have another Nnaji.
Elvis is more potential than anything at the moment, but Arizona Basketball isn't stupid like Arizona Football. If there's a legacy connection and the guy has the potential to pan out you don't jump into.the recruitment late.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... -fame-shaq" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote: https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... -fame-shaq" target="_blank

Not sure why he picked Josh Green of all people though.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Merkin wrote:
dmjcat wrote: https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... -fame-shaq" target="_blank

Not sure why he picked Josh Green of all people though.
Especially since another guy who wore #0 might have wound up a hall of famer if he hadn't tried to rush back from knee surgery.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Zaon Collins announces top 4 of Arizona, ASU, USC AND UNLV tonight. Top 40 PG. watched some highlights. Like his game. Who leads here?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:Zaon Collins announces top 4 of Arizona, ASU, USC AND UNLV tonight. Top 40 PG. watched some highlights. Like his game. Who leads here?
Not Arizona.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Arguably our top target for this class, Peyton Watson, is going to commit to UCLA tomorrow, so that sucks.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Arguably our top target for this class, Peyton Watson, is going to commit to UCLA tomorrow, so that sucks.
Meh. He's from SoCal. UCLA, SDSU and USC should get the best players from SoCal, with an occasional high level player leaving for an elite program out of state. Seems like we've been getting fewer SoCal players lately, no?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

We getting any 5 stars in 2021 class?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

luteformayor2 wrote:We getting any 5 stars in 2021 class?
Not likely.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Arguably our top target for this class, Peyton Watson, is going to commit to UCLA tomorrow, so that sucks.
Meh. He's from SoCal. UCLA, SDSU and USC should get the best players from SoCal, with an occasional high level player leaving for an elite program out of state. Seems like we've been getting fewer SoCal players lately, no?
SDSU? No. USC? Still no.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
SDSU? No. USC? Still no.
Say what you want about SDSU, but that program's been strong for a while now. And yeah, USC never seems to advance beyond their lower tier, but recruiting-wise, they always do well.

Historically, AZ's done well recruiting SoCal, but losing some high level guys to SoCal schools shouldn't be too disturbing. Losing AZ guys to other programs bothers me more.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote:
No doubt about it. Yes, SoCal players stay in CA and also head east, but AZ historically has consistently snagged a handful of good players from the region. Not sure what the relative dry spell is a result of, whether it is AAU politics, residual effects from the FBI/ESPN situation, or something else, but AZ does not seem to be a serious consideration for a number of SoCal elite players at the present time. Miller overcame it last year by loading up with highly ranked foreign players, but it is somewhat alarming he doesn't have one elite player from '21 prepared to commit to the program.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
SDSU? No. USC? Still no.
Say what you want about SDSU, but that program's been strong for a while now. And yeah, USC never seems to advance beyond their lower tier, but recruiting-wise, they always do well.

Historically, AZ's done well recruiting SoCal, but losing some high level guys to SoCal schools shouldn't be too disturbing. Losing AZ guys to other programs bothers me more.
Who are you referring to? Puff Johnson?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
SDSU? No. USC? Still no.

SDSU doesn't beat Arizona for players even in SoCal.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
SDSU? No. USC? Still no.

SDSU doesn't beat Arizona for players even in SoCal.
Don't think I said that and didn't mean to imply it either. I'm just recognizing that SDSU has emerged as another strong hoops program in our region of the country, and many of their players are from SoCal. No idea if AZ recruited Franklin or Trey Kell or any of their current SoCal guys.

Gonzaga is pretty much indisputably atop the West pecking order right now. I'd say Oregon is next, followed by Arizona and a cluster of Pac teams.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

KJ Simpson deciding tomorrow
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Kenneth Simpson Jr is commiting tomorrow, 4 star kid. We gave him a virtual tour a couple months back. Any shot we land him?
I said what I said and I mean it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote:Kenneth Simpson Jr is commiting tomorrow, 4 star kid. We gave him a virtual tour a couple months back. Any shot we land him?
I’d feel good about it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
BeardownZonaZona wrote:Kenneth Simpson Jr is commiting tomorrow, 4 star kid. We gave him a virtual tour a couple months back. Any shot we land him?
I’d feel good about it.

Committed per Scheer!