Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

midnightx

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by midnightx »

azcat49 wrote:I am beginning to wonder if this crusade against Miller and Wade is where he is trying to deflect The blame from the blue blood coaches. Now you might go Duh 49 but I was thinking all along he just wanted his employer to be right
In the real world, the biggest storyline for a major basketball figure/analyst in Vitale's position would be Kansas' dirty program, or Zion, the biggest star in college basketball in well over a decade, who attended Duke, has charges of having received improper benefits. But you are correct, ESPN has a lot invested in the blue bloods of college basketball, so if they can distract from the troubling realities of those programs and take down other top-tier programs with their scandal coverage, that is the route the network is going to take.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Has Miller been arrested yet?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Still waiting, I guess the Rona has backed things up.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Remember how I said that shoe companies usually handle these payments? Will Wade didn’t get that memo.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat wrote:Remember how I said that shoe companies usually handle these payments? Will Wade didn’t get that memo.
Sounds like full-on stupidity on his part. “When you want something done right...do it yourself.”

His new interview answer for biggest weakness is “I don’t delegate enough”
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Just sitting here waiting for our Dick Vitale Update...

...can’t wait.

:roll:
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

dmjcat wrote:
Can someone link the charges against us. It's September so I must have missed them.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Are Dick Vitale and Tucker Carlson related?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So LSU got its letter? I thought Dukie V was saying we both would be getting our soon?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2 ... er-dandies" target="_blank

9 months old... But...
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Alieberman wrote:
dmjcat wrote:
Can someone link the charges against us. It's September so I must have missed them.
Bump. Almost October...
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Oops, now it's October.
I'll say this for dickie v,

The passage of time feels different as you age and so he could be just having trouble adjusting.

He might be senile.

He might be a crochety old man who has nothing better to do than hold a grudge, or can't remember how to do anything else. Kind of like a record skip but on a cerebral level.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/coll ... story.html" target="_blank

Open Book: NYC hoops coach Emmanuel ‘Book’ Richardson is struggling to recover from FBI investigation fallout

snippets

Richardson didn’t know why he stood over the Harlem River contemplating suicide. “I went to church on 116th Street and I walked to the 145th Bridge and I got tired,” he tells the Daily News. “And I just said, 'This is it. And I said, ‘If I jump, I’m not sure this is high enough.’ And I wanted it to end.”

Everything since that 6 a.m. shock has felt like a downward spiral. Richardson lost his job. His freedom. His health deteriorated. His marriage to Erin, the love of Richardson’s life, ended because of his infidelity.

“I do [feel as if I was scapegoated],” Richardson says. “I do in the grand scheme of things. When they tell the world that you have our playbook, and you only get four Black assistant coaches and two of them go to jail. What playbook did you have? Was that the audible playbook? Was that the freshman playbook? The JV playbook? Which playbook did you have?'”

“I was helping kids when they got on my campus, yes, I was,” Richardson says. “And with that being said, if I was recruiting your son and they came on my campus and was hungry and needed something to eat, needed something to get someplace -- and they couldn’t get there? How would you look at me? And you know what they would tell the next parent (of a player I’m recruiting)? ‘That guys a liar. It’s just about him.’ Because I told you on your coach in your house, ‘I would do anything for your son."

His mother was 15 when she had Richardson. His aunt was murdered when thrown off an overpass in Queens. All four of Richardson’s uncles were incarcerated.

Richardson took his punishment and served his time, but the NCAA is still trying to extract information. Richardson already met with NCAA enforcement in December, leaving him with the impression “they didn’t just want to get Arizona, they wanted me to give up all of college basketball.”

In June, Richardson was contacted again by NCAA enforcement about scheduling an interview for a “notice of allegations.” He said there’s an order to “show cause,” but Richardson already served his prison time and believes any further conversations or punishments are akin to “beating a dead horse.” He isn’t interested in cooperating. There’s no job offer or incentive from the NCAA, and Richardson’s against snitching, regardless.

Richardson’s now living off the $2,000 per month stipend from Gauchos, in clear need of therapy but without health insurance. Due to poor eating habits, Richardson also developed Stage 3 kidney disease. It’s obvious his divorce in January was the most crushing blow to Richardson’s will.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Jefe wrote:https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/coll ... story.html

Open Book: NYC hoops coach Emmanuel ‘Book’ Richardson is struggling to recover from FBI investigation fallout

snippets

Richardson didn’t know why he stood over the Harlem River contemplating suicide. “I went to church on 116th Street and I walked to the 145th Bridge and I got tired,” he tells the Daily News. “And I just said, 'This is it. And I said, ‘If I jump, I’m not sure this is high enough.’ And I wanted it to end.”

Everything since that 6 a.m. shock has felt like a downward spiral. Richardson lost his job. His freedom. His health deteriorated. His marriage to Erin, the love of Richardson’s life, ended because of his infidelity.

“I do [feel as if I was scapegoated],” Richardson says. “I do in the grand scheme of things. When they tell the world that you have our playbook, and you only get four Black assistant coaches and two of them go to jail. What playbook did you have? Was that the audible playbook? Was that the freshman playbook? The JV playbook? Which playbook did you have?'”

“I was helping kids when they got on my campus, yes, I was,” Richardson says. “And with that being said, if I was recruiting your son and they came on my campus and was hungry and needed something to eat, needed something to get someplace -- and they couldn’t get there? How would you look at me? And you know what they would tell the next parent (of a player I’m recruiting)? ‘That guys a liar. It’s just about him.’ Because I told you on your coach in your house, ‘I would do anything for your son."

His mother was 15 when she had Richardson. His aunt was murdered when thrown off an overpass in Queens. All four of Richardson’s uncles were incarcerated.

Richardson took his punishment and served his time, but the NCAA is still trying to extract information. Richardson already met with NCAA enforcement in December, leaving him with the impression “they didn’t just want to get Arizona, they wanted me to give up all of college basketball.”

In June, Richardson was contacted again by NCAA enforcement about scheduling an interview for a “notice of allegations.” He said there’s an order to “show cause,” but Richardson already served his prison time and believes any further conversations or punishments are akin to “beating a dead horse.” He isn’t interested in cooperating. There’s no job offer or incentive from the NCAA, and Richardson’s against snitching, regardless.

Richardson’s now living off the $2,000 per month stipend from Gauchos, in clear need of therapy but without health insurance. Due to poor eating habits, Richardson also developed Stage 3 kidney disease. It’s obvious his divorce in January was the most crushing blow to Richardson’s will.
That is really sad. I can't help but to have sympathy for Book. He made mistakes, and paid his dues, but the vultures are circling. The NCAA wants to hurt Arizona so bad they don't mind completely ruining a life to the point the person wants to commit suicide. And Book cared about the students he recruited. I will now look at the NCAA as vultures. They are looking for university carcasses they can feast upon. Although UA is lawyered up. I really don't believe anything will stick. Is SM clean? No. But he is honest and cares about his players. This whole NCAA witch hunt is a fiasco. If I was any of the top college programs, I would leave the NCAA and start a club where high school talent can be rewarded for their hard work. This should be the case for basketball and football.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I went to church on 116th Street and I walked to the 145th Bridge and I got tired

Only around 2 miles, thought it was longer.

His marriage to Erin, the love of Richardson’s life, ended because of his infidelity.

Strange thing to do to the love of your life.

Tough upbringing, glad he broke himself out of it, at least for a while.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m honestly not inclined to feel sorry for Book. While I would never want anyone to be suicidal he made some truly terrible choices and looked to profit off those same kids he claims he only wanted to help.

Book wasn’t indicted and convicted of helping underprivileged kids. He was caught taking a bribe to help himself. I’m glad he did his time and I’m all about second chances but let’s not whitewash how much trouble he put himself, and the entire Arizona program (which employs a number of people who did things correctly and by the book), in.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Book is quoted:
That is vague, but the implications don’t look good to me.

1) That sounds like impermissible aid to players, and

2) The head coach bears responsibility.

He says he was in one interview with NCAA, and refused a second. Not good.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

pc in NM wrote:Book is quoted:

We should get rid of Miller for all sorts of reasons.

But this shit started over three years ago now.

You think they’re covertly (as it hasn’t come out in any of the myriad court cases) hanging on to super damning shit, just waiting to pounce?

Feels pretty doubtful.

Full disclosure: fire Miller for his fringe top 25 performance as the head of the 8th best program in the nation.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:

You think they’re covertly (as it hasn’t come out in any of the myriad court cases) hanging on to super damning shit, just waiting to pounce?

Feels pretty doubtful.

Full disclosure: fire Miller for his fringe top 25 performance as the head of the 8th best program in the nation.
I've been told for some time now the real hang up here is Rawle's transcripts. I'm not sure what the NCAA has or thinks it has or if it wants more on that, but that in specific was the supposed cherry on top of all the other stuff. I was told this months ago though, so who knows.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

I don't know why my transcripts would play into this scenario... I finished school well over a decade ago.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Feels pretty doubtful.

I've been told for some time now the real hang up here is Rawle's transcripts. I'm not sure what the NCAA has or thinks it has or if it wants more on that, but that in specific was the supposed cherry on top of all the other stuff. I was told this months ago though, so who knows.
This is just speculation based on NCAA operating procedures, but if they thought they had the good without whatever the hang up is with Rawle's transcripts, they'd have gone ahead.

The smoke swirling on the rest...if the NCAA had real proof of player payments, which is the most damning part of all of this, I can't imagine they'd wait.

Even with Rawle's transcripts, Book is on tape saying he did it. To wait this long, there has to be some issue in actually corroborating his words, because the tape is what it is.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Wow, finally an article about the Scandal and Arizona didn't get much talk until half way through the article, and even then it focused on the SEC corruption. Funny how they said Arizona still got the No. 9 recruiting class in 2019 and the No.10 in 2020 - Of course they don't mention that we replaced 2/3rds of the entire tire from this past year. May I say any team that adds 7-9 players in any given year with an average start rating of a 3-4 like we did better top ten in recruiting. Of course they didn't mention we got none of the 5 star recruits available. I think the SEC did though - Oh, and DUKE, KENTUCKY, and KANSAS...
Last edited by MountainCat on Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

True?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

DrWildcat wrote:True?

If true, then Pat Ford (and SI) has set up Arizona for the downfall by putting out the previous article from yesterday - saying how this whole scandal has been an injustice with only one team receiving a violations notice from the NCAA and at the same time making the SEC look like the bad guys, when in truth, TODAY, it's Arizona's fault, and miller should be fired....
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Anyone have any info on how bad this is going to be? Dukie V makes it sound like we are fucked
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Irish27 wrote:
Wow Dick. What would we do without you? Everything you have said must be true... ...I'm scared.

All I am going to say if Arizona is hit hard with Violations, both Duke and Kansas better pack their bags too as most of their latest issues all have come after the 2017 Scandal, and at a higher price (cost).
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

The question is will we be used as an example, or get a slap on the wrist. Oklahoma state was used as an example and got a one year tournament ban. I think both are equal in probability. Ncaa doesn't view us as a program like Duke or UNC, but also doesn't view us as a program like USC or Stanford. So I really don't know the serverity this will be
I said what I said and I mean it.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

DrWildcat wrote:True?
Finally this is over, has been hanging over the program, something awful.

Frankly I expect a equal but slightly worse punishment than Oklahoma State's punishment that was handed out.

Have the same situation with the assistant coaches, so there's precedent on what to expect for the same level 1 violations.
Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

My guess: one year tourney ban in ‘22, plus a scholarship reduction of some kind for the next three years.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m just happy DukieV won’t need Cialis to get a hard-on tonight. He’s probably going to beat that wrinkled thing like it stole something from him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Here we go
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I feel like the landscape relative to punishment will look substantially different by the time we get there.

Ok. St. took the internal NCAA discipline route, got more severe sanctions than they thought they should have and is now appealing. Every school since has sought the independent discipline process.

This doesn't mean I think things are better or worse than Ok. St., but I think they'll be different. Kansas's trip through the independent process will tell us a lot more about how that process functions, and what their standards are. I wouldn't choose the NCAA discipline process under any circumstances.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

MountainCat wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
Wow Dick. What would we do without you? Everything you have said must be true... ...I'm scared.

All I am going to say if Arizona is hit hard with Violations, both Duke and Kansas better pack their bags too as most of their latest issues all have come after the 2017 Scandal, and at a higher price (cost).
Hey Dicky:
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The thing that I’m worried about is Rawle’s transcripts.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MountainCat wrote:
Irish27 wrote:

I don't understand Dickie V invoking Level 1. Isn't everyone in the FBI investigation getting Level 1 allegations? It's just how many.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

ChooChooCat wrote:The thing that I’m worried about is Rawle’s transcripts.
What about the Phelps stuff?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What might be the concern here Choo? I thought the NCAA dug through this once before and cleared him?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Why is this not going away :cry:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We should get ahead of it and self sanction now.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAEebs86 wrote:We should get ahead of it and self sanction now.
We should actually self retro ban.

No Post Season for 2019-2020 season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:We should get ahead of it and self sanction now.
We should actually self retro ban.

No Post Season for 2019-2020 season.
I think we should retro ban for 3 years. First, we'll no longer have lost to effing Buffalo. I'm also willing to part with our 18-19 and 19-20 postseasons.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

So where is this NOA? Are they waiting after the presidential debate??
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Who knows if they make it public and if they do it could be tomorrow, next week or next month
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Isn't this at least a couple of times where "reports" have stated specific times we would hear our fate and then crickets?

Although I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories usually I'm starting to think people want to fuck with us...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »