let's talk '21

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '21

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:Top 30 guard Bryce McGowans decomitted from FSU. Borzello reporting we’ve reached out. There any connection there?
JT has ATL connections.

I don’t see this recruitment going anywhere honestly, but we’ll see.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

So Ira Lee and Terrell Brown get an extra year of eligibility. What is the likelihood these guys stat and how does that effect our '21 class?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gronk4heisman wrote:So Ira Lee and Terrell Brown get an extra year of eligibility. What is the likelihood these guys stat and how does that effect our '21 class?
Wait...what?! Lee and Brown get this year PLUS 2021-22?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:So Ira Lee and Terrell Brown get an extra year of eligibility. What is the likelihood these guys stat and how does that effect our '21 class?
Wait...what?! Lee and Brown get this year PLUS 2021-22?
It seems like it. Frankly, we're in a decent spot not having a ton of guys to whom this applies.

I'd suspect our answer also involves whether we retain 100% of our non-seniors as well. As much as I'd like to think we do, that isn't usually the case.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Still only one ball and 200 minutes per game with another year's recruits coming in. Can't imagine that will work out well for the marginal players and since all schools will have this issue won't be a lot of those entering the transfer portal. Just a couple more disgruntled players on the edge of the bench.

Maybe go 4 12 minute quarters like the NBA does.

Did the NBA drop the one and done rule? Let high school players go straight into the G league if they want.
prh

Post by prh »

All fall and winter sports are receiving a free year of eligibility.

@Merkin high school guys can go straight into the G League right now, there's a special development program now for those guys. OAD rule still applies though, they can't get into the NBA that year and go into the next draft
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Still only one ball and 200 minutes per game with another year's recruits coming in. Can't imagine that will work out well for the marginal players and since all schools will have this issue won't be a lot of those entering the transfer portal. Just a couple more disgruntled players on the edge of the bench.

Maybe go 4 12 minute quarters like the NBA does.

Did the NBA drop the one and done rule? Let high school players go straight into the G league if they want.
The minute distribution this year will probably sort out the availability of roster spots.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I highly doubt those two are back at Arizona next year. We’re taking at least 3 in this class. This changes nothing for Arizona.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So grad transfers can play another year, transfer again and play right away?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:So grad transfers can play another year, transfer again and play right away?
Not sure how it'll work for them since "technically" they're transferring for grad school purposes. If they switch their grad degree then maybe? Either way this entire year is a mulligan eligibility-wise. If you're asking specifically about Terrell Brown and if he wanted to play one more year somewhere else all he'd have to say is that Arizona didn't have the scholarship available and he would get approved easily.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

New Offer
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Fitting name
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Fitting name
It's going to hurt extra if Dezonie deserts the desert.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I’d pay very close attention to this one.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:I’d pay very close attention to this one.
Do you know who the lead recruiter is for Dezonie?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I’d pay very close attention to this one.
Do you know who the lead recruiter is for Dezonie?
Not 100%, but I’m pretty sure it’s Murph.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Didn't we recruit someone from Brewster Academy before?

My memory sucks.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

EastCoastCat wrote:Didn't we recruit someone from Brewster Academy before?

My memory sucks.
Justin Simon I believe?
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Sounds like this is getting serious quick since the offer. Commitment soon? Nowell soon after?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EastCoastCat wrote:Didn't we recruit someone from Brewster Academy before?

My memory sucks.
Justin Simon went there, but we already had him committed before he ever step foot at Brewster. Emmanuel Negedu once upon a time before he decommitted went there.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:Sounds like this is getting serious quick since the offer. Commitment soon? Nowell soon after?
Literally both could pop at any time. It’s whenever the hell they want to at this point.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NickyBCats wrote:Sounds like this is getting serious quick since the offer. Commitment soon? Nowell soon after?
Literally both could pop at any time. It’s whenever the hell they want to at this point.
how should we feel about Dezonie? In the limited video I've seen on youtube/twitter, seems like a solid all around wing, jack of all trades but master of none type of player. Should be around for multiple years and be pretty solid by the time he's an upperclassmen. What do you think?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
how should we feel about Dezonie? In the limited video I've seen on youtube/twitter, seems like a solid all around wing, jack of all trades but master of none type of player. Should be around for multiple years and be pretty solid by the time he's an upperclassmen. What do you think?
I've probably watched the same videos and it seems like that to me. Dezonie, Simpson and Nowell are all the same sort of profile: solid tools and physical abilities, but nothing that leaps off the page as an immediate dominator like a Stanley Johnson or Aaron Gordon.

Add in Kriisa, Terry, Mathurin, etc., we have a lot of guys who will be in college 3-4 years. I hope most or all stay, and it's notable how much our recruiting focus seems to have shifted at a time a lot of programs (Duke, MSU) are going the other way.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Those are my thoughts exactly. He’s strong, athletic enough, and certain jack of all trades master of none. Honestly Nowell falls in the same category. Both are great passers for their position. You’re certainly playing the long game with these guys.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Good stuff. I like what I see from the two of them. High motors and a high chance to develop into a multi year player. Every program needs those types. Veterans you can lean on because of their experience. My question is on DaRon Holmes. I saw that he's likely to commit somewhere before the early signing period is concluded. That deadline is coming up. What are the odds we add him to his class? I saw his top four had us, Marquette, Cal, and Dayton. He'd be a great addition to this class as he seems like a really good player and it's always nice to keep Arizona kids in state.
I said what I said and I mean it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote:Good stuff. I like what I see from the two of them. High motors and a high chance to develop into a multi year player. Every program needs those types. Veterans you can lean on because of their experience. My question is on DaRon Holmes. I saw that he's likely to commit somewhere before the early signing period is concluded. That deadline is coming up. What are the odds we add him to his class? I saw his top four had us, Marquette, Cal, and Dayton. He'd be a great addition to this class as he seems like a really good player and it's always nice to keep Arizona kids in state.
It's going to come down to us and Marquette. Nobody knows for sure which way he's leaning. We've been in there a long time.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Thanks Choo!
I said what I said and I mean it.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Boom
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Olsondogg wrote:Boom
Boom what?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

2 crystal ball predictions for Dezonie. Scheer and Snow. He uses the glass very well.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Daron Holmes announcing this weekend. Any word Choo?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

NickyBCats wrote:Daron Holmes announcing this weekend. Any word Choo?
3 crystal balls today for Marquette...doesn’t seem likely for us. It is what it is, don’t think he’s the type of recruit to get upset over. I’ll take a Tubelis or even Batcho type Euro big in the 2021 class and would be ok with that outcome.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Not Arizona from what I understand. I’ll defer to those that may know better like Scheer who put in a CB pick for Marquette.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
3 crystal balls today for Marquette...doesn’t seem likely for us. It is what it is, don’t think he’s the type of recruit to get upset over. I’ll take a Tubelis or even Batcho type Euro big in the 2021 class and would be ok with that outcome.
I’d fully expect to go the Euro route here.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Sounds like Holmes is going to Dayton.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Another crystal ball for Dezonie
billk78

Post by billk78 »

This thread has me excited about Tubelis. With people saying he could be similar to Nnaji....is he seen as a one and done?
I'm just trying to look into the future, and if you think about it, we probably get almost everyone back again next year. Ira is a senior and T. Brown grad transfer. Other than those two it's probably likrly all the rest are back barring any transfers or surprises?
So while I'm not sure how good they will be this year (I think a 3rd-4th place Pac finish and sneaking into the tournament would be my early prediction), it's kind of refreshing knowing that this group could possibly grow together over the next few years. It's something Arizona hasn't had in a while.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Tubelis has the talent to be one and done. I don't think he has the profile with the NBA that means he definitely will be. Nico and Green had that profile. Zeke played himself into it. Tubelis would have to play himself in. He can, but will he?

Nbadraft.net has Mathurin at #30 in the 2021 draft and Akinjo at #47. Those are the only Cats mentioned in 2021, and I'd be surprised if Mathurin stays there.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Holmes to Dayton is official.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ChooChooCat wrote:Holmes to Dayton is official.
There was a time, essentially for 3 decades, when AZ never would have lost a recruiting battle to Dayton. Times have changed.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

midnightx wrote:
There was a time, essentially for 3 decades, when AZ never would have lost a recruiting battle to Dayton. Times have changed.
Changed indeed.

Anyone who believes the NCAA mess hasn't had (and is having) a negative impact on our recruiting is living in an alternate reality.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

midnightx wrote:
He’s a 4/5 who wanted immediate playing time at the 3. He wasn’t going to get that at Arizona. Guy had offers from Kansas and other major schools. This wasn’t an Arizona FBI issue.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

There's a possibility to keep your eyes open today.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Eyes are open!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:This wasn’t an Arizona FBI issue.
Maybe not this particular recruitment, but midnight and dmj are absolutely right about the impact on our recruiting. Things aren’t like they were 5 years ago.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:This wasn’t an Arizona FBI issue.
Maybe not this particular recruitment, but midnight and dmj are absolutely right about the impact on our recruiting. Things aren’t like they were 5 years ago.
Well yeah. We're still landing quality players though. It just matters if you're clamoring for one and dones or not I guess.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Per the Athletic 5 level 1 violations not all on men’s bball
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Miller got hit with lack of control as well as the swimming and diving coach. University got hit for lack of institutional control
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Kansas basketball alone got 5 Level 1 violations. They currently have a top 50 and a top 75 guy committed, both committed after the announcement of their NOA.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Anyways is it 3pm Tucson time yet?