Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

AzCatFan2

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I wonder if the NOA will be announced this afternoon during a Friday data dump. That's often when news you want to bury gets released. If this is the case, it leaves open the speculation why the NCAA would want to bury the Arizona NOA story? It's possible that it's a huge story and the allegations will be harsh, and the NCAA doesn't want the spotlight. But it's more likely, in my opinion, that the NOA will allege the known Book issues is a Level 1 violation, but that's all the NOA really contains.

If the latter is true, then I expect we'll accept the allegations without appeal and plea for leniency from the NCAA because we already self-corrected and have had a clean record for at least 5 years prior to Book getting caught, which is the time window the NCAA normally uses. Never know how the NCAA will react in regards to penalties, but at worst, it will be like OK St. with a 1-year post season ban and a few scholarship losses. Personally, I don't see the ban, but I do see a few scholarships we'll lose over the next two or three years.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I don’t know if U of A got the NOA or not, but just because they got it doesn’t mean we’ll hear the details of it any time soon. Without a doubt they will absolutely appeal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:I don’t know if U of A got the NOA or not, but just because they got it doesn’t mean we’ll hear the details of it any time soon. Without a doubt they will absolutely appeal.
If we got it, I don't know why we'd announce it. That's just going to touch off a round of stories from the ESPN folks waiting for our head.

We don't have to announce it and it serves us no benefit to make it public. Lord knows, making any actual allegation public will not help.

Then, assuming we're doing the independent review discipline process, if leaks come out, use that to attack the NCAA investigators in that review process. Or if no leaks come out, argue our position.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If that one eyed trouser trout has any information about the allegations before they are given to Arizona the whole process is suspect. How does ESPN or anyone else know anything about the violations being leveled before Arizona does. He is probably just blowing smoke as he has done on many occasions to seem self important but someone needs to run the trap line on this to see if the NCAA was preloading ESPN.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I don’t know if U of A got the NOA or not, but just because they got it doesn’t mean we’ll hear the details of it any time soon. Without a doubt they will absolutely appeal.
If we got it, I don't know why we'd announce it. That's just going to touch off a round of stories from the ESPN folks waiting for our head.

We don't have to announce it and it serves us no benefit to make it public. Lord knows, making any actual allegation public will not help.

Then, assuming we're doing the independent review discipline process, if leaks come out, use that to attack the NCAA investigators in that review process. Or if no leaks come out, argue our position.
Are replies to the charges public (not the allegations)? Have read other school's replies. Open to the Freedom of information requests?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Are replies to the charges public (not the allegations)? Have read other school's replies. Open to the Freedom of information requests?
Yeah and you can bet Pat Forde, Bruce Pascoe, etc., have already put in their request. The university can drag its feet though in releasing it to them though.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

You’d announce it to control the narrative and nothing else. I’m not sure what strategy U of A takes and to be honest that strategy comes from their lawyers and nobody else.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I'd rather have them getting our reply than the NOA alone. The NOA alone, the media can run with the allegations like they're undisputed.

They get our reply, at least they have to acknowledge a dispute. Plus, it means there's only one story instead of two rounds of story.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Have to wonder if this might cost us DeRon Holmes. He is announcing this weekend and it is looking less likely he will be ours. Of course maybe Justin Gainey did a great job
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Have to wonder if this might cost us DeRon Holmes. He is announcing this weekend and it is looking less likely he will be ours. Of course maybe Justin Gainey did a great job
This has absolutely nothing to do with why we’re not going to land Holmes. We weren’t willing to lie to him about what position he truly is to land him. Good for the other school who did. We’re literally going to land two other recruits any day now regardless of this.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Have to wonder if this might cost us DeRon Holmes. He is announcing this weekend and it is looking less likely he will be ours. Of course maybe Justin Gainey did a great job
This has absolutely nothing to do with why we’re not going to land Holmes. We weren’t willing to lie to him about what position he truly is to land him. Good for the other school who did. We’re literally going to land two other recruits any day now regardless of this.
I take it he doesn't think he's a stretch 4 who needs to develop physically.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
He believes he’s a wing. Arizona said “cool deal bro,” and went and got a real wing instead.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
He believes he’s a wing. Arizona said “cool deal bro,” and went and got a real wing instead.
Yeah, if he is stuck on playing the wing, we're probably better off without him. I didn't see anything in his game that made me think he'd succeed as anything but a stretch 4.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

As always Choo, thx for that info. You
Mentioned we went out and got a true wing player. Have we announced that or have a good guess who that will be or should we just stay patient?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
As always Choo, thx for that info. You
Mentioned we went out and got a true wing player. Have we announced that or have a good guess who that will be or should we just stay patient?
Nowell and/or Dezonie both fit that description.

I would also take both of them 10/10x as wings vs Holmes.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Was listening to Doug Gottlieb on the radio last hour and he said he does not think Sean Miller will be the coach next year. He said Miller will coach this year, but not next year due to the severity of the infractions. He said Damon could be the head coach next year.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Irish27 wrote:Was listening to Doug Gottlieb on the radio last hour and he said he does not think Sean Miller will be the coach next year. He said Miller will coach this year, but not next year due to the severity of the infractions. He said Damon could be the head coach next year.
FFS. Arizona knew what was coming. This isn’t a surprise to anybody. If Sean Miller isn’t retained after this season it’ll be due to poor performance on the court and the fact he has only one year left on his contract. The mainstream sports media isn’t worth a scrape of dick cheese.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Can we assume the NOA mentions Rawle?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:Can we assume the NOA mentions Rawle?
Not sure, but I do know they looked hard into his transcripts. Also a question if Mark Phelps’s situation with Shareef O’Neal is on this as well.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Irish27 wrote:Was listening to Doug Gottlieb on the radio last hour and he said he does not think Sean Miller will be the coach next year. He said Miller will coach this year, but not next year due to the severity of the infractions. He said Damon could be the head coach next year.
FFS. Arizona knew what was coming. This isn’t a surprise to anybody. If Sean Miller isn’t retained after this season it’ll be due to poor performance on the court and the fact he has only one year left on his contract. The mainstream sports media isn’t worth a scrape of dick cheese.
He is at risk of losing ~$1mil bonus $$$ if he's found to have committed any significant NCAA infraction, correct?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Apparently there is a regents meeting Monday to discuss the allegations
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

84Cat wrote:Apparently there is a regents meeting Monday to discuss the allegations
Which does not a damn thing
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
He is at risk of losing ~$1mil bonus $$$ if he's found to have committed any significant NCAA infraction, correct?
If he personally has, yes. The world would know about that smoking gun if it already existed.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Irish27 wrote:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Sheer said the UofA was never going to release the information and they won't. He said in order to find out the charges, they will need to take them to court
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Jason said the only way the public will know what the report says is if someone leaks the information.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'd bet hard that a leak occurs at some point whether from the U of A or the NCAA.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That seems unlikely. I would put the likelihood of us getting a NOA and some kind of sanction up there with death and taxes as one of life's certainties.

Unless there's shocking evidence the NCAA gave us that our internal investigation didn't find, I doubt this changes a thing.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just some random thoughts:

1) could Vitale be anymore annoying
2) so we knew what was coming and we knew our first step which was to put a muzzle on the NOA. Would hope our strategy has been back tested
3) how do you evaluate Miller in this year?
4) just don’t think Damon would be ready to lead this program
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I’m shocked.

Floored actually.

That people listen to Gotleib and Vitale in 2020.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Irish27 wrote:Jason said the only way the public will know what the report says is if someone leaks the information.
84Cat wrote:Apparently there is a regents meeting Monday to discuss the allegations
Some ASU loving Regent will leak.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

It seems rather obvious to me that the release of, and initial response the the NOA is unfolding in predictable and unfortunate ways...

the U of A sez : "In order to protect the integrity of the ongoing enforcement process, the University is not releasing the NOA at this time."

Could anything sound more inauthentic??

Sure, hold it close until all relevant leaders (Admin, regents, lawyers, etc.) have an opportunity to consider the allegations - that alone would be reasonable, defensible and, still, transparent...

But the likelihood is that it’s gonna be leaked (when has one of these NOT been disclosed??), and only invites the worst kind of innuendo and speculation in the interim... That alone will be damaging.

And if/when it is leaked, the phoney excuse now being given will look foolish and suggest guilt and/or cover-up.

Yet this is the typical pattern that more often than not, seems to prevail is these cases. Does no one pay attention???
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote:It seems rather obvious to me that the release of, and initial response the the NOA is unfolding in predictable and unfortunate ways...

the U of A sez : "In order to protect the integrity of the ongoing enforcement process, the University is not releasing the NOA at this time."

Sure, hold it close until all relevant leaders (Admin, regents, lawyers, etc.) have an opportunity to consider the allegations - that alone would be reasonable, defensible and, still, transparent...

But the likelihood is that it’s gonna be leaked (when has one of these NOT been disclosed??), and only invites the worst kind of innuendo and speculation in the interim... That alone will be damaging.

And if/when it is leaked, the phoney excuse now being given will look foolish and suggest guilt and/or cover-up.

Yet this is the typical pattern that more often than not, seems to prevail is these cases. Does no one pay attention???
Take it up with the lawyers. They've been running the show for 3 years now.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

#pussyassbitch
-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pc in NM wrote:It seems rather obvious to me that the release of, and initial response the the NOA is unfolding in predictable and unfortunate ways...

We'll eventually be making a case vs the NCAA to an independent review body, most likely.

If an NCAA source leaks, that is a fact that can be used to point to the NCAA's bias.

I would heavily suspect things will be made public when we have a reply drafted and that the release of info is coordinated with that reply and factual issues we contest. That way, the first true release is timed with our response.

The only other option is release and let the allegations sit there for a bit without any response or without contesting them. During which time I'd bet you anything ESPN will run plenty of stories like the allegations are fact.

Also, I'd be shocked if we didn't get a Level 1. Everyone else has, and you just have to hope you're able to drive that down in the process. If people speculate...it doesn't get worse than Level 1.

Just my uneducated 2 cents.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

After it is released? They seem pretty sure they know what is on that NOA. Cocky SOB’s don’t you think
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:After it is released? They seem pretty sure they know what is on that NOA. Cocky SOB’s don’t you think
Scheer said Schlabach has agreed to it, but probably cancels if there's nothing about Miller paying Deandre Ayton on it.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

We'll eventually be making a case vs the NCAA to an independent review body, most likely.

If an NCAA source leaks, that is a fact that can be used to point to the NCAA's bias.

I would heavily suspect things will be made public when we have a reply drafted and that the release of info is coordinated with that reply and factual issues we contest. That way, the first true release is timed with our response.

The only other option is release and let the allegations sit there for a bit without any response or without contesting them. During which time I'd bet you anything ESPN will run plenty of stories like the allegations are fact.

Also, I'd be shocked if we didn't get a Level 1. Everyone else has, and you just have to hope you're able to drive that down in the process. If people speculate...it doesn't get worse than Level 1.

Just my uneducated 2 cents.
Thanks for that well-reasoned response...

Pure speculation, but based upon what is already known, I think a Level 1 vs. CSM could conceivably be levied on the concept the coach is responsible for staff's behaviors...

... anything new, however, would be staggering. Heretofore, I don't see how we could be in more jeopardy than KU already appears to be.

It's just the slow pace of the entire process that is unforgivable for a billion dollar corporation!

― Kinky Friedman
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:After it is released? They seem pretty sure they know what is on that NOA. Cocky SOB’s don’t you think
Scheer said Schlabach has agreed to it, but probably cancels if there's nothing about Miller paying Deandre Ayton on it.

That sounds like he is expecting vindication and knows/thinks there was some validity to his report backed up by the NOA
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

That sounds like he is expecting vindication and knows/thinks there was some validity to his report backed up by the NOA
He can think all he wants, it never happened. Hell even Christian Dawkins said it never fricken happened.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So Choo, does your gut tell you there was nothing that came in the NOA that was surprising to the athletic department and do they have anything that they could use to fight the allegations. Has a program ever been successful in appealing one of these things?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:So Choo, does your gut tell you there was nothing that came in the NOA that was surprising to the athletic department and do they have anything that they could use to fight the allegations. Has a program ever been successful in appealing one of these things?
No, every thing that they received they were very likely expecting, it's just a matter of how many Level 1s they wanted to levy at us. We're getting one for sure for Book (the second he plead guilty that was done), but the rest is up for debate and certainly up for appeal. The route that every school not named Okie State is taking here is different than done prior, so who knows how successful an appeal is going to go. Kansas's will be the most telling from what we should expect.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

It is almost certain the contents of the NOA will leak. Everything leaks in this day and age. If top secret intelligence agencies and political cabinets can't keep things from leaking, certainly this information is bound to surface.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

https://theathletic.com/2158740" target="_blank

5 Level 1 Violations

"The University of Arizona was served with nine allegations of misconduct, five of which are classified as Level I violations, in the Notice of Allegations that the NCAA sent to the school on Oct. 21, The Athletic has learned. The Level I allegations, which fall in the most serious category, include a lack of institutional control and failure to monitor by the university; a lack of head coach control by men’s basketball coach Sean Miller; and a lack of head coach control by Augie Busch, the women’s swimming and diving coach."

So not all on the basketball program.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
"In a further indication of the contentiousness between Arizona and the NCAA, Kelly closes his referral by stating that the school wants “a neutral and unbiased tribunal to hear the evidence, consider the legal and factual arguments, and issue a decision that is fair and just.” Implied in that argument is an assertion that the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions would not be able to meet that standard of neutrality and fairness.

The NCAA also listed as an aggravating factor Arizona’s decision not to supply the final report produced by the law firm of Steptoe & Johnson, which Arizona hired to conduct a private inquiry shortly after Richardson’s arrest. Kelly asserts that because the NCAA’s enforcement staff was permitted to attend the interviews during that investigation and see the documents it produced, it was unreasonable for the NCAA to hammer the university for not turning over the final report because it would have contained information the NCAA already possessed. Kelly asserts that doing so would have violated attorney-client privilege and rendered a confidential document into the public sphere. Kelly uses this as further justification for the referral, writing that “significant legal issues such as this one would be more appropriately resolved by the IARP, given the background and expertise of panel members.”
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

NCAA is so pathetic and so is Seth Davis

Phelps did not alter transcripts. Dave Heeke admitted it under oath
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion