The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:03 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:26 am Which teams are you guys impressed by so far? Zaga looks ridiculous. So do Baylor and Iowa. UCLA looked pretty good in their last game. I haven't seen Oregon, Nova or Michigan State yet.

It's a bummer we're not gonna have some better OOC matchups this season, but it's understandable. Coach K said yesterday he's not even sure the season should continue.
Coach K is probably saying that because his team got smacked around by MSU and Illinois in back to back games at home.

Garza from Iowa has been ridiculous so far. Gonzaga looks the strongest, but this year would be the most random, IMO. Kansas seems like they should be impressive but has beaten Creighton by 1 and NDSU by 4.

Who knows this year? If there was ever a year it's like blindfolded darts, it's this year.
It also feels like the Cinderella factor could be even more intense, provided we actually have a full-size NCAA tourney. Maybe we can snag a bid and surprise people. Sean's overdue!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:26 am Which teams are you guys impressed by so far? Zaga looks ridiculous. So do Baylor and Iowa. UCLA looked pretty good in their last game. I haven't seen Oregon, Nova or Michigan State yet.

It's a bummer we're not gonna have some better OOC matchups this season, but it's understandable. Coach K said yesterday he's not even sure the season should continue.
On cue with Coach K, 3 hours ago:

Dick Vitale @DickieV

I really believe that everyone connected with the game we love college basketball would be better off if the @NCAA pushed the season back . The mental frustration for coaches, players , TV ppl , media is out of control
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Holy fuck! How does Dick still have platform?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I fucking hate him. Just STFU Vitale
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TheCatInTheHat

Duke & Vitale

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

What's the translation? If Kryzew$%#ki's team's a little down this year and he's a little skittish about playing, shut down the whole sport, I guess, because that seems like about the only time Vitale's got a gig. I think if you took a vote across the county, everybody would be fine if Duke unilaterally decided to sit out the season while everybody else plays. On the other hand, I love the idea of them getting their brains beat in all year. Meanwhile, it's funny. IIRC, Vitale coached at the U of Detroit. He was no great shakes there, but when the Pistons fired their latest failed coach, I guess it was a publicity stunt to hire the loudmouthed local guy and hope for some box office bump from his buffoonish comments. A great and unfortunately somewhat forgotten Wildcat guard, Eric Money, had to play for Vitale in Detroit. Soon after his inevitable firing, ESPN made its debut on cable in 1980 and they soon had Big Monday as a showcase for the Big East. And there was Dick the Clown at the right place and time. That was over 35 years ago and after a failed career as a coach. He's a weird broken down old man whose one-trick pony schtick wore out its welcome decades ago. Nobody cares what he thinks, but he's got to rant and rave and occasionally toss out something controversial to pretend he's relevant. Just go back to the home, Dick: it's over.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

TucsonClip wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:34 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:35 pm
TatetheGreat wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:17 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:12 pm
TatetheGreat wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:07 pm Terry wants to be a one-and-done, so I'm guessing that's where the extra scholarship comes from.
I like Terry's game, but he's not getting drafted at this point. He's not a particularly explosive athlete, so he needs to be able to shoot it much better than he has to date in order to get drafted.
I don't know about that. It's early, but not many guys with his size and skill set.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... iting-2020
I don't mean to be disrespectful to Terry, but I'd disagree with that. His length and passing ability are definite assets.

What limits him is that he's not an explosive athlete. At the NBA level, he's going to be one of your less athletic wings right now. Add in that his jumper really isn't there right now, and it's just length and passing.

Heck, I think Mathurin's closer to being drafted. Mathurin is definitely more explosive and you can see his physical tools fitting immediately.

The most prominent example of a wing who projected to less than average athleticism would be Kyle Anderson, and he showed much more in college than Terry so far. Guys like Comanche and Randolph show anyone can leave, though.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

I mean, a guy like Dosunmu is a second rounder. Terry is very similar in type of player and hasn't shown as much development as Dosunmu. Not being a shooter or plus athlete is tough in the draft.
Agree with Spiff and his takes above. I love Terry, but hes more in the Solomon Hill category of wings with a better body. A breakout season next year would mean goodbye, but his jumper needs to come around and I think it will soon.
Terry is a totally different player than Solo. I highly doubt he stays for two years after publicly saying he wants to be OAD. We just had three freshmen get drafted who lacked a reliable jump shot.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

TatetheGreat wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:08 pm
Terry is a totally different player than Solo. I highly doubt he stays for two years after publicly saying he wants to be OAD. We just had three freshmen get drafted who lacked a reliable jump shot.
I obviously dont think he is the second coming of Solo, but he reminds me of him in many ways. Terry has the super high BBall IQ, which you saw from day one with both players. They know where to position themselves, making the right pass, taking what the defense gives to them, the ability to create for others off the dribble, hitting guys in the pocket on passes and not throwing them at their feet. Terry's jumper is much further along at the same stage.

Defensively, Terry is much better, but again, they both utilize their court awareness and understand where they need to be. That is quite impressive for a freshman wing in Miller's system. Obviously, as I mentioned earlier, Terry has the better body, his length, anticipation, lateral movement. Going along with that, he leads the team in steals, tied for the lead in blocks, second in assists and I guarantee you he leads in deflections by quite a bit (seems like 3 per half).

My point being, Terry is in the Hill category of wings and not the uber athletic Iguodala types. When you factor in Terry's length and ability to add strength, that will vault him up a level from Solo, who was the 23rd pick in the draft.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I know we haven’t played anyone of note yet, but I really like this team.

It’s nice to have an Alpha in Akinjo on the floor
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:02 pm
TatetheGreat wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:08 pm
I obviously dont think he is the second coming of Solo, but he reminds me of him in many ways. Terry has the super high BBall IQ, which you saw from day one with both players. They know where to position themselves, making the right pass, taking what the defense gives to them, the ability to create for others off the dribble, hitting guys in the pocket on passes and not throwing them at their feet. Terry's jumper is much further along at the same stage.

Defensively, Terry is much better, but again, they both utilize their court awareness and understand where they need to be. That is quite impressive for a freshman wing in Miller's system. Obviously, as I mentioned earlier, Terry has the better body, his length, anticipation, lateral movement. Going along with that, he leads the team in steals, tied for the lead in blocks, second in assists and I guarantee you he leads in deflections by quite a bit (seems like 3 per half).

My point being, Terry is in the Hill category of wings and not the uber athletic Iguodala types. When you factor in Terry's length and ability to add strength, that will vault him up a level from Solo, who was the 23rd pick in the draft.
I mean, you can always leave to be a UDFA.

Josh Green is a good comparison. Same length, position and iffy J. The difference is Green has a much stronger frame and is a much more explosive athlete.

Right now Terry is a productive defender, but on the NBA level, his strength and athleticism are below average to maybe average. Green didn't get drafted due to production, he got drafted bc he has ideal frame, length and athleticism for a wing.

No disrespect to Terry, but his length is the only thing that he is ideal on for the NBA physically. He is a good rebounder and passer for his position, but not an explosive slasher. That's why he needs the J to really solidify as a prospect. His offense is more dependent on shooting to open the floor vs Josh being a bouncy slasher.

I agree with Clip. Terry needs to fill out and show that his J will be sufficient to enable his offense in a way his slashing can't.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:13 pm I know we haven’t played anyone of note yet, but I really like this team.

It’s nice to have an Alpha in Akinjo on the floor
We have a lot of interesting pieces. Thinking about everyone but T. Brown and Ira returning gets me so excited.
prh

Post by prh »

All this "Terry wants to be OAD" talk...do we remember how that quote came out? It wasn't him saying he plans on it, he was discussing wanting to have a successful year as a player and team and how of course he wants to grow that much as a player. Great comments and completely different than our past OADs
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

He said something like his two goals were to become a oad and to win a national championship. I'd think that'd be the goals of many freshman
I said what I said and I mean it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:52 pm All this "Terry wants to be OAD" talk...do we remember how that quote came out? It wasn't him saying he plans on it, he was discussing wanting to have a successful year as a player and team and how of course he wants to grow that much as a player. Great comments and completely different than our past OADs
That's how I read it, and by that measure, everyone wants to be one and done. If Matt Weyand could have been a OAD lottery pick, I'm sure he'd have been ready for it.

Hell, I'd put my name in the upcoming draft if I thought the NBA was looking for a 39 year old desk jockey with a JD who can still grab rim. I'm not sure that's the sort of profile that would make me a first rounder, though.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

TucsonClip wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:02 pm I obviously dont think he is the second coming of Solo, but he reminds me of him in many ways. Terry has the super high BBall IQ, which you saw from day one with both players. They know where to position themselves, making the right pass, taking what the defense gives to them, the ability to create for others off the dribble, hitting guys in the pocket on passes and not throwing them at their feet. Terry's jumper is much further along at the same stage.

You are right on the money. He will continue filling out and his length allows him to guard 1-4. He moves his feet very well. Not explosive like Green or ISO_ZO but a fluid athlete with the IQ to be effective on both ends. His stroke looks pretty good to me. Has the makings of a solid glue guy who provides 3&D and secondary playmaking.
blaw01

Post by blaw01 »

Pleasantly surprised by this team. The ball movement was really good last night and should get better as the team plays more together. Very interesting mixture of different types of players that seem to fit together well. No superstars but everyone in the rotation adds value.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This team just appears to be very coachable and no one seems to be interested in chucking up bad shots in order to possibly add to their stat sheets. I love the trajectory of this team over the next few years.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

prh wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:52 pm All this "Terry wants to be OAD" talk...do we remember how that quote came out? It wasn't him saying he plans on it, he was discussing wanting to have a successful year as a player and team and how of course he wants to grow that much as a player. Great comments and completely different than our past OADs
I hear he has people in his ear that want him to be a OAD. Also has people in his ear saying the right things. He's an NBA player and will have a long career if he is in college for at least 2-3 years. I love his IQ and his potential.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

blaw01 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:17 am Pleasantly surprised by this team. The ball movement was really good last night and should get better as the team plays more together. Very interesting mixture of different types of players that seem to fit together well. No superstars but everyone in the rotation adds value.
That's the answer. Superstars can come with superegos. That talent often takes a toll on team cohesiveness. And the goals of 5-star players are usually different. The closer it comes to tourney time the more selfish many of them play. They want to show off.

The Cats are hustling and playing defense. They are blocking shots. The team is very quick and enjoys playing up-tempo basketball. Not superstars but basketball players with a high BB IQ. Of course the Cats haven't played any competition yet that will put them to the test.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

My unpopular opinion:

Mathurin is significantly more likely to be drafted as a OAD than Terry is if they both jumped in the pool.

Right now, if our whole team entered next year's draft, I think Mathurin would go first, Akinjo second, then some order of Terry/Koloko/J. Brown/Tubelis.

Of course, my real hope is all those guys are back in Tucson next season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So what's up with Jordan Brown? Talk about hot and cold...

Grambling - 19pts, 15rbs
EWU - 6pts, 3rbs
NAU - 17pts, 11rbs
CSUB - 3pts, 0rbs

I haven't watched last night's game but it didn't appear that he was in foul trouble and I haven't heard any reports that he was hurt. So what's up with the disappearing act?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:12 am So what's up with Jordan Brown? Talk about hot and cold...

Grambling - 19pts, 15rbs
EWU - 6pts, 3rbs
NAU - 17pts, 11rbs
CSUB - 3pts, 0rbs

I haven't watched last night's game but it didn't appear that he was in foul trouble and I haven't heard any reports that he was hurt. So what's up with the disappearing act?
He picked up 2 early fouls.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:20 am
Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:12 am So what's up with Jordan Brown? Talk about hot and cold...

Grambling - 19pts, 15rbs
EWU - 6pts, 3rbs
NAU - 17pts, 11rbs
CSUB - 3pts, 0rbs

One of the concerns I have about this team is that every big guy has a high foul and TO rate. Koloko has a TO% over 25% which is astronomical for his usage.

Ira's is a comical 39%, although his minutes are limited enough it's just 6 total TO's. Brown is at 21% and Tubelis at 15%. They all need to come down significantly.

None of them are really playmakers and we're not running a low post centric offense, so their turnover and foul numbers should not be nearly as high as they are. Some of the reffing inside has been fairly frustrating, but still.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I wonder how far back we'd have to go to find a starting five, for our first game of the season, comprised of only upperclassmen.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:47 am I wonder how far back we'd have to go to find a starting five, for our first game of the season, comprised of only upperclassmen.
2015-16. We started York (SR), Kadeem (JR), Tollefsen (SR), Anderson (SR) and Zeus (SR) for our first game and about half the year. Trier broke into starting for a bit, but the above lineup was probably our most consistent.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Grambling - 19pts, 15rbs
EWU - 6pts, 3rbs
NAU - 17pts, 11rbs
CSUB - 3pts, 0rbs

But only ended up with 3 total.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:18 am

Grambling - 19pts, 15rbs
EWU - 6pts, 3rbs
NAU - 17pts, 11rbs
CSUB - 3pts, 0rbs

But only ended up with 3 total.
True. He played 16 minutes. I’m not too worried yet. The guards rebounded well last night to fill in.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:54 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:47 am I wonder how far back we'd have to go to find a starting five, for our first game of the season, comprised of only upperclassmen.
2015-16. We started York (SR), Kadeem (JR), Tollefsen (SR), Anderson (SR) and Zeus (SR) for our first game and about half the year. Trier broke into starting for a bit, but the above lineup was probably our most consistent.
Nice, Spiff -- thank you!

I'm actually surprised it was so recently. And if memory serves, that team was pretty average. Much better the next year when the freshmen cavalry arrived.

Still, though, I think programs aspire to have this many upperclassmen getting big minutes each year. Nova and Zaga, in particular, are programs that have managed to maintain roster continuity without having the constant turnover we've had. I think there's a middle ground, which may be what Sean is after at the moment. You wanna have upperclassmen leaders who can establish tone and be the foundation of the program, but it's hard to go very far without at least one or two fresh/soph stars.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Ah yes, the team with no PG, just some 2Gs. Allen did well for the most part, but York dribbling the ball off his foot in end of game situations drove me batty.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:39 pm
Nice, Spiff -- thank you!

I'm actually surprised it was so recently. And if memory serves, that team was pretty average. Much better the next year when the freshmen cavalry arrived.

Still, though, I think programs aspire to have this many upperclassmen getting big minutes each year. Nova and Zaga, in particular, are programs that have managed to maintain roster continuity without having the constant turnover we've had. I think there's a middle ground, which may be what Sean is after at the moment. You wanna have upperclassmen leaders who can establish tone and be the foundation of the program, but it's hard to go very far without at least one or two fresh/soph stars.
I'll say, for a lot of upperclassmen, it was sort of a misleading roster. Anderson and Tollefsen were in their first and only year playing at Arizona and Kadeem was in his first year playing of two.

So, basically 60% of our starters were upperclassmen in their first year in an Arizona uniform.

I do think that Miller has very much switched recruiting philosophies into more of a building approach. Long term, I like it. I drool at how this core wpuld look next year.

The downside is this year is one where we just won't out talent people. In the short term, it's going to lead to some performances this year that aren't what we want to see.

Long term, I hope it builds toughness and cohesiveness. If we return our 8 non-seniors, they'll have had to gut out a few with D and effort. Hopefully they'll add skill and talent to that and then we'll really have something.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:43 pm
Ah yes, the team with no PG, just some 2Gs. Allen did well for the most part, but York dribbling the ball off his foot in end of game situations drove me batty.
I grew to miss Kadeem so much on...well, every team since he's been gone. 17-18 needed a tough glue guy so much. 18-19, the same. Josh Green did a bit of that, but with nowhere near the experience and consistency Kadeem had.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Kadeem is one of the better transfers Miller's found over the years. He made a huge impact on the program in the short time he was there.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:23 pm Kadeem is one of the better transfers Miller's found over the years. He made a huge impact on the program in the short time he was there.
And the biggest surprise to me actually getting NBA minutes in 3 different seasons. One tough man.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:23 pm Kadeem is one of the better transfers Miller's found over the years. He made a huge impact on the program in the short time he was there.
He was actually here 3 years. Part of me wonders whether we might have gone further in 2014-15 if he hadn't sat that year.

Kadeem, Rondae, Stanley and TJ would have been one hell of a perimeter D rotation. For the record, Gabe York and PJC are noted but not included in that statement.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

43rd yesterday morning on KenPom, now 38th. I expect us to get some top 25 votes before Christmas
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

He had to sit that year, didn’t he?
Being a transfer.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:57 pm He had to sit that year, didn’t he?
Being a transfer.
Nah, he was from juco and could have been immediately eligible. He redshirted.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Furthering our draft talk, none of our players are listed in ESPN's top 100 prospects for next year. This isn't bad news for me, as I hope it means everyone returns.

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavai ... sition/ovr
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:39 am Furthering our draft talk, none of our players are listed in ESPN's top 100 prospects for next year. This isn't bad news for me, as I hope it means everyone returns.

That hasn't stopped some of our players in the past though....
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:46 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:39 am Furthering our draft talk, none of our players are listed in ESPN's top 100 prospects for next year. This isn't bad news for me, as I hope it means everyone returns.

That hasn't stopped some of our players in the past though....
True. Anyone can be Chance Comanche. I just mean it in the vein that we don't have anyone who has the draft stock to merit leaving at this point, which will hopefully build roster continuity.

Guys who just want to leave, it's always possible.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

It's nutty to be talking draft four games into the season. Nico was a lottery pick at this point last season and might have gone undrafted if not for Kerr coaching Golden State.

I brought up Terry's comments in relation to available scholarships. Some guys have an agenda coming in, and that is to put enough on tape to get to the NBA. College is better than overseas and G League when it comes to exposure. It's not about development for them.

We have many guys with pro potential and a few on the NBA radar. I hope they all stick around but it's not something I expect anymore.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TatetheGreat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:45 pm

It's nutty to be talking draft four games into the season. Nico was a lottery pick at this point last season and might have gone undrafted if not for Kerr coaching Golden State.

I brought up Terry's comments in relation to available scholarships. Some guys have an agenda coming in, and that is to put enough on tape to get to the NBA. College is better than overseas and G League when it comes to exposure. It's not about development for them.

We have many guys with pro potential and a few on the NBA radar. I hope they all stick around but it's not something I expect anymore.
I'm not trying to fight or be disrespectful to your posts. I think Terry has pro potential, even if we may disagree on how close he is to realizing it.

I'm not sure I 100% agree it's too early for the draft. Wiseman played 3 total games at Memphis and went #2 overall. A lot of the NBA is physical potential and that's pretty well set.

Cheick Diallo played 7.5 mpg his freshman year. Skal Labissiere 15.8 mpg. They still went #33 and #28 respectively. They were physical potential picks and that's about it.

I think Nico's experience is relevant to Terry. Nico's similar in that he was not an elite explosiveness type. When he struggled with the J freshman year, he fell.

Again, no disrespect, just my 2 cents. I don't think Terry has the explosiveness for his draft stock to overcome his J struggles. If he can show a consistent J, he'll see his name rise a lot. As for what his intentions are, his comments seemed more aspirational to me, but I don't have any insider info or know the kid. No real clue there.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:22 pm
TatetheGreat wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:45 pm

I'm not trying to fight or be disrespectful to your posts. I think Terry has pro potential, even if we may disagree on how close he is to realizing it.

I'm not sure I 100% agree it's too early for the draft. Wiseman played 3 total games at Memphis and went #2 overall. A lot of the NBA is physical potential and that's pretty well set.

Cheick Diallo played 7.5 mpg his freshman year. Skal Labissiere 15.8 mpg. They still went #33 and #28 respectively. They were physical potential picks and that's about it.

I think Nico's experience is relevant to Terry. Nico's similar in that he was not an elite explosiveness type. When he struggled with the J freshman year, he fell.

Again, no disrespect, just my 2 cents. I don't think Terry has the explosiveness for his draft stock to overcome his J struggles. If he can show a consistent J, he'll see his name rise a lot. As for what his intentions are, his comments seemed more aspirational to me, but I don't have any insider info or know the kid. No real clue there.
Same, no disrespect intended. I think it is too early to rule out any of our guys getting picked in this upcoming draft, but agree to disagree. I'm sure Choo will keep us abreast of everyone's intentions.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

5-0, gg UTEP

Thankfully I was prepared for this one to be a lot closer than the analytics.

Wondering when we'll start to see more out of Azuolas... there were plenty of times we could have gotten it to him in the high post and we just chose not to.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

YoDeFoe wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:56 pm 5-0, gg UTEP

Thankfully I was prepared for this one to be a lot closer than the analytics.

Wondering when we'll start to see more out of Azuolas... there were plenty of times we could have gotten it to him in the high post and we just chose not to.
Reminded me a lot of Luke Walton getting the pass in the high post and passing out of it.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I’m just rooting for him to become Ivan Radenovic for his upperclassman years ....

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:39 am
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:12 am Anyone think Tibet Gorener can carve out a role for himself eventually, probably not this year but maybe down the road? I really liked what I saw from the tapes he had out and kid can shoot. If he could bulk up does anyone see him being a contributor down the road?
He can move and shoot for a 6'8-9 guy. If he gets bigger and figures the game out, he can be a solid role player down the road.

His stroke looked good last night. There were times on offense and defense that he looked confused and sort of going in circles.

If he's here for four years, I could see him becoming a solid rotation player as a junior/senior. I don't really see him as a wing so much as a stretch 4 if he gets stronger.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Just curious? Did Mannion ever win a gold practice jersey last year?

(I don’t recall him winning one off the top of my head.)

And if he didn’t, through 5 games this year I think I know why.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So, I watched Cal Baptist take SC to overtime. They've been decent this year. This is a game where their overall ranking is a little misleading and I could see them testing us.

SC obviously had far more athleticism and length, but Cal Baptist spread them out and scored pretty consistently against them. In a weird year, this is a trap game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We got 5 votes in the latest AP Poll. Puts us at 37th I believe.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:52 am We got 5 votes in the latest AP Poll. Puts us at 37th I believe.