The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:36 am The way TBrown has played I would take him over any of those incoming freshman. His assist to TO ratio is amazing and he has shot it pretty well with good shot selection
I love how Terrell has played, but I don't think the program can or should sacrifice 3-4 years of Kriisa, Simpson or Dezonie for one more year of Terrell.

I certainly hope Akinjo and Baker return, meaning we're talking about a bench guard role. I think you want and need it to be the multiyear developmental guys.

I don't think it's unfair to Terrell, either. We recruited him for a single year, and both sides have gotten what they wanted from that. I hope he's created a real pro future for himself by showing he can be a high efficiency guy at a P5 school. Heck, even his outside shooting has improved. That's his future and it's best for both him and us.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

It’s a nice problem to have imo.

Love when we field teams with depth and experience all around. And we know CSM does too.😬
97cats

Post by 97cats »

33 makes out of 106 total attempts by Washington - that number includes 11 free throws, they made 7.

31.1% :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:38 pm 33 makes out of 106 total attempts by Washington - that number includes 11 free throws, they made 7.

31.1% :lol:
Both teams played solid free throw defense.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:53 pm
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:45 pm I agree. If those two could stick around for another year or two they could be a scary duo on the perimeter. Throw in the possibility of Akinjo and Brown sticking around next year and we could be a defensive juggernaut. Let's pray man
My list of guys I really want back next year (and it's complicated by in theory everyone being able to return) would go:

Akinjo
Kriisa
Terry
Mathurin
J. Brown
Tubelis
Koloko

The remainder of the rotation, I'm not particularly wedded to. Baker, I worry he's irrelevant next to our 3 incoming freshmen. Goerner, haven't seen him play, no idea. Ira and Terrell could return, but I'm not sure I see the benefit on either side.
In the spirit of the new year, can I call out this guy for how poorly the bolded part has aged?

I know it came after Baker started 5-18 overall and 2-9 from three, but jeez, talk about a take that wound up looking bad in hindsight.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Loving the roster breakdowns, guys. And I am starting to LOVE this team! It's crazy that we haven't even added Kriisa yet.

I think this group wants that reg season Pac title pretty badly, and it looks like they'll be among the 3 or 4 teams with a shot at it.

Let's keep it going vs. WSU! Interesting bit of trivia about this WSU team: they haven't lost yet! This has to be the best start to a season in ages for the Cougs.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:04 pm Loving the roster breakdowns, guys. And I am starting to LOVE this team! It's crazy that we haven't even added Kriisa yet.

I think this group wants that reg season Pac title pretty badly, and it looks like they'll be among the 3 or 4 teams with a shot at it.

Let's keep it going vs. WSU! Interesting bit of trivia about this WSU team: they haven't lost yet! This has to be the best start to a season in ages for the Cougs.
WSU is a microcosm of how weird this year is. They're undefeated. They're also #132 in KenPom, right behind 4-3 Wofford.

KenPom has them 9 spots lower than the 1-7 UW team we just beat, and 28 spots lower than Yale, and their entire season was cancelled. But, they're undefeated!

Such a strange year.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:03 pm
I share that sentiment. I've long thought we should do the following things and hopefully they understand.

1. Acknowledge we deserve some punishment for Book's federal conviction. This is not an area I feel we can or should push back on. He did that shit.
2. Point out the remaining allegations lack any degree of corroboration. If I claim I'm the queen of England, that does not make it true. Same with Book's words.
3. Point out the ways in which the NCAA has simply overextended their facts. Dinging us for not controlling the actions of ex-employees is one area. Lumping in swimming/diving is another example of something they haven't done with anyone else.
4. Point to the tourney ban as a reasonable punishment. Compare to OSU and Alabama. We're comparable to OSU and dropped worse on ourselves than Bama did.
5. Request they punish us based on actual facts. The recruits we're alleged to have done stuff with were all cleared by the NCAA. How do you punish us for stuff the NCAA cleared the players of.
6. This leaves us where we started. Book did something that warrants punishment, but that's it.
That is why it was essential that Arizona go the IARP route. The NCAA appears to have an agenda against Arizona, it isn't just fulfilling its duty to police NCAA violations. It has created a narrative and has made a number of allegations that are not necessarily verifiable, or even legitimate. The arbitrator is an independent third-party, not an extension of the NCAA. If the arbitrator thinks the NCAA has gone too far, is overreaching, etc., it will rule accordingly.

With respect to lumping in swimming and diving infractions into the basketball case is really quite disturbing. The most disturbing aspect is that ESPN, one of the most highly read sports websites, continues to report the total number of infractions as being against the basketball program to further their own narrative, rather than engaging in proper journalism and reporting the actual number of infractions against the basketball program. They know exactly what they are doing, they are continuing to defame the program with every single report.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:30 pm
I share that sentiment. I've long thought we should do the following things and hopefully they understand.

1. Acknowledge we deserve some punishment for Book's federal conviction. This is not an area I feel we can or should push back on. He did that shit.
2. Point out the remaining allegations lack any degree of corroboration. If I claim I'm the queen of England, that does not make it true. Same with Book's words.
3. Point out the ways in which the NCAA has simply overextended their facts. Dinging us for not controlling the actions of ex-employees is one area. Lumping in swimming/diving is another example of something they haven't done with anyone else.
4. Point to the tourney ban as a reasonable punishment. Compare to OSU and Alabama. We're comparable to OSU and dropped worse on ourselves than Bama did.
5. Request they punish us based on actual facts. The recruits we're alleged to have done stuff with were all cleared by the NCAA. How do you punish us for stuff the NCAA cleared the players of.
6. This leaves us where we started. Book did something that warrants punishment, but that's it.
That is why it was essential that Arizona go the IARP route. The NCAA appears to have an agenda against Arizona, it isn't just fulfilling its duty to police NCAA violations. It has created a narrative and has made a number of allegations that are not necessarily verifiable, or even legitimate. The arbitrator is an independent third-party, not an extension of the NCAA. If the arbitrator thinks the NCAA has gone too far, is overreaching, etc., it will rule accordingly.

With respect to lumping in swimming and diving infractions into the basketball case is really quite disturbing. The most disturbing aspect is that ESPN, one of the most highly read sports websites, continues to report the total number of infractions as being against the basketball program to further their own narrative, rather than engaging in proper journalism and reporting the actual number of infractions against the basketball program. They know exactly what they are doing, they are continuing to defame the program with every single report.
I would hope the IARP would listen to the bolded part, as I think you can make a direct argument to that point from completely objective evidence.

1. The NCAA alleged that we should receive aggravated treatment due to Book/Phelps not speaking to the NCAA...despite the fact this was after they were employed by Arizona and we had no control over them. Leveling this against us instead of say, asking for a show cause penalty vs Book/Phelps is pushing the envelope.
2. The NCAA added swimming/diving. I'm not aware of any other program involved getting blended treatment like that.
3. Allegations of refusal to cooperate vs Arizona. Compare us to Auburn. Pearl refused to cooperate with their internal investigation and suffered no consequences.
4. Immediate leaks of our NOA and NOA response. Auburn got a NOA a year ago and no leaks. Yet, non-Arizona sources leak our NOA and NOA response in days. Wonder who did that?

Taken together, I think the record supports that the NCAA has pushed harder on us than similarly situated programs, and intentionally crafted a process that seems designed for PR use against us. I would 100% argue to the IARP that this should not be rewarded.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Catintheheat wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:31 pm
dmjcat wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:18 pm
Catintheheat wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:13 pm Looking at the Cats lineup. I believe this would have been a sweet-16 or better team. Best team since 16-17. The guards are better because of how unselfish they are. Plus, I don't see chuckers on the team. They play smart. Defensively, I'd like to see them take more chances in stripping the ball, and jumping into passing lanes. Their quickness is a strength and the team out to be tailored to this. They play excellent transition basketball but play a good half-court game too, thanks to the decision-making, and not just the guards.

Thinking how good this team is now and their incredible potential If we return the team, and I believe it is possible, this team could be the best team since 14-15 and a National Championship wouldn't be out to the question. Definitely Final Four good. This is the most fun team to watch since 14-15,

One last point. This reminds me more of a Lute Olson team than Sean Miller teams.
Personally I am just enjoying this team now, in the present. This isn't the Lute Olson era anymore. The players have the NBA, the NBA G league, and Overseas leagues to play in. Frankly, I will be surprised if the team returns intact for next season.
I wouldn't be surprised. For one. I doubt any of these players will be first round picks, let alone lottery. Still, we could lose a couple with bad advice in their ears. Having a chance at a National Championship is a once in a lifetime opportunity. And I love the chemistry of this team. Sean Miller has a knack of sending players to the NBA and staying there if they stay long enough. Lately, it hasn't mattered.

I differ with others here. I believe CSM is a good teacher. It's more about players not staying long enough to learn. I am glad he isn't recruiting OAD players as much now. It allows players to stay and allows CSM to teach. I believe Sean Miller's biggest mistake was recruiting all the highest rated players he could get, because he could. Maybe he has learned his lesson and now recruits high quality basketball players who understand the game already (to a degree). I think the obsession of recruiting the highest ranked players has been a major contributor of Arizona's miseries during the last few years. And I believe he is now finding players who fit into the system without as many stars in their eyes. Find good players who want to learn instead of ones who are looking for a pitstop.
"I doubt any of these players will be first round picks, let alone lottery"

You are kidding, right???

Have you ever heard of;

Chance Comanche?
Nick Johnson?
Chase Budinger?
Kobi Simmons?
Grant Jarrett?
Nico Mannion??

None were 1st round draft picks but it didn't stop them from leaving.

I certainly hope you are right and everyone returns but I would not bet on it.

Another variable is the IARP. We have no idea when they will hear the UA case, or decide it. Should they decide the UA case before next season (and drop multi-year sanctions on us) I could easily see a mass exodus from the program.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:45 pm
midnightx wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:30 pm

I would hope the IARP would listen to the bolded part, as I think you can make a direct argument to that point from completely objective evidence.

1. The NCAA alleged that we should receive aggravated treatment due to Book/Phelps not speaking to the NCAA...despite the fact this was after they were employed by Arizona and we had no control over them. Leveling this against us instead of say, asking for a show cause penalty vs Book/Phelps is pushing the envelope.
2. The NCAA added swimming/diving. I'm not aware of any other program involved getting blended treatment like that.
3. Allegations of refusal to cooperate vs Arizona. Compare us to Auburn. Pearl refused to cooperate with their internal investigation and suffered no consequences.
4. Immediate leaks of our NOA and NOA response. Auburn got a NOA a year ago and no leaks. Yet, non-Arizona sources leak our NOA and NOA response in days. Wonder who did that?

Taken together, I think the record supports that the NCAA has pushed harder on us than similarly situated programs, and intentionally crafted a process that seems designed for PR use against us. I would 100% argue to the IARP that this should not be rewarded.
I think all of the IARP talk is just speculation until we find out what the NCAA has charged us with.........and more importantly what evidence they may have. Remember, the UA has not released the NOA from the NCAA. We have no idea what we have been formally charged with nor what evidence the NCAA may have dug up. If, for example, the NCAA has evidence that a UA coach (Book) paid to have Rawles transcripts altered then we are totally F*cked. Multi year sanctions would most assuredly follow.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:52 pm "I doubt any of these players will be first round picks, let alone lottery"

Have you ever heard of;

Chance Comanche?--By far the weirdest exit.
Nick Johnson?--Smart, he wouldn't have benefitted from another year.
Chase Budinger?--See Nick Johnson.
Kobi Simmons?--OAD from Day 1.
Grant Jarrett?--Preferred being a 2nd rounder to sitting behind BAsh and Zeus.
Nico Mannion??--OAD from Day 1.

Another variable is the IARP. We have no idea when they will hear the UA case, or decide it. Should they decide the UA case before next season (and drop multi-year sanctions on us) I could easily see a mass exodus from the program.
There's zero chance the IARP decides before next year. NC State started their IARP in the beginning of April and no movement.

NCSU has a single allegation from Dennis Smith Jr.'s recruitment. If they can't get through in 8 months, we aren't making it through by October.

My thoughts on your exits are annotated. I don't think any of our current guys has a NJ/Budinger reason to go, and none is a Nico/Kobi guaranteed OAD. Frankly, none of our guys is getting drafted instead of sitting like Jerrett, either.

So, that leaves WTF exits like Comanche. They can happen, but trying to understand the logic behind an illogical decision ahead of time is pointless.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:58 pm I think all of the IARP talk is just speculation until we find out what the NCAA has charged us with.........and more importantly what evidence they may have. Remember, the UA has not released the NOA from the NCAA. We have no idea what we have been formally charged with nor what evidence the NCAA may have dug up. If, for example, the NCAA has evidence that a UA coach (Book) paid to have Rawles transcripts altered then we are totally F*cked. Multi year sanctions would most assuredly follow.
Uh, aren't you the same guy also arguing we should have self-sanctioned in 2018?

2018...before the NOA came out. 2018, before the Rawle allegation even emerged.

We do have an idea what the NCAA has alleged. Also, Arizona does, and you have to believe self-sanctioning at this point is explicitly calculated to be what they think is likely to satisfy the IARP.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:15 pm
dmjcat wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:52 pm "I doubt any of these players will be first round picks, let alone lottery"

Have you ever heard of;

Chance Comanche?--By far the weirdest exit.
Nick Johnson?--Smart, he wouldn't have benefitted from another year.
Chase Budinger?--See Nick Johnson.
Kobi Simmons?--OAD from Day 1.
Grant Jarrett?--Preferred being a 2nd rounder to sitting behind BAsh and Zeus.
Nico Mannion??--OAD from Day 1.

There's zero chance the IARP decides before next year. NC State started their IARP in the beginning of April and no movement.

NCSU has a single allegation from Dennis Smith Jr.'s recruitment. If they can't get through in 8 months, we aren't making it through by October.

My thoughts on your exits are annotated. I don't think any of our current guys has a NJ/Budinger reason to go, and none is a Nico/Kobi guaranteed OAD. Frankly, none of our guys is getting drafted instead of sitting like Jerrett, either.

So, that leaves WTF exits like Comanche. They can happen, but trying to understand the logic behind an illogical decision ahead of time is pointless.
You have ZERO knowledge of what the players intend to do after the season. Hell, Dalen Terry has already publicly stated (at least once) that he wants to be a one and done.'

https://arizonavarsity.rivals.com/news/ ... alen-terry

What are you trying to accomplish in college?

"In college I want to win a National Championship and become a one-and-done prospect."

Miller has already over-recruited the scholarship limit by one for next season so even he doesn't expect them all to return.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I think brown and Ira would both like a shot at March Madness.

Probably announcer speak but didn’t PJ say he spoke to Miller and then said something like “those guys could be back”?
mofo

Post by mofo »

Are Auburn’s & OK St’s cases done? If not, are they going through IARP too? Just curious because if they’re not being handled by IARP, then we can claim our case is as similar or different to someone else’s to justify punishment as we want but the IARP may not have the details of those cases to make that conclusion.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I just want to make sure I understand this extra year if eligibility rule.

Akinjo, for example, even though he is considered in a junior this year. He still has 2 years of eligibility after this year. And if he and Arizona chose, could still play through the 22-23 season.

And Kriisa, even though he will play the last 8 games, still has 4 years of eligibility left beginning next year.

Is this correct? Thanks.
prh

Post by prh »

Frybry02 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:28 pm I just want to make sure I understand this extra year if eligibility rule.

Akinjo, for example, even though he is considered in a junior this year. He still has 2 years of eligibility after this year. And if he and Arizona chose, could still play through the 22-23 season.

And Kriisa, even though he will play the last 8 games, still has 4 years of eligibility left beginning next year.

Is this correct? Thanks.
This year is a completely free year for fall and winter sports
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Fuck you if you don’t enjoy this team. Fuck you
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
prh

Post by prh »

I do not feel like last year's team would have had the will to survive last night. This team is going to have some rough nights like that, but I sure like thinking about the future potential we have here.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

What was up with the wsu coach kyle smith? Dude lost his mind multiple times. Particularly thinking of the when he went on the court before the inbound play to holler at terrell brown jr.
I said what I said and I mean it.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I love the fact we can count on a variety of players that can step up and have a big game. Mathurin was clearly our best player last night with 24/11 so that offset Baker’s head scratching 1-14.

Good thing we were 25-32 on free throws otherwise we don’t come close to winning that game.

And thank you Wazzu for hitting just 50% of their free throws. That sort of helped as well. Lol.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I couldn’t watch last night, but man, nice to pull out a tough road win! Against a team that hadn’t lost yet.

What the heck was up with Baker? This is what makes me nervous about the reliance on 3 pt shooting. When it’s good, we roll. But when those long shots aren’t falling, it can kill you.

Nice to see Mathurin have a big game.

Really looking forward to the L.A. schools. I’d said going 3-2 over this current 5 game stretch would be great, and they’ve already done that.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I just listened to the game on radio... but it sounded like this team played hard... just could not buy a bucket. Sounded like the shots were good... just couldn't hit anything.

The fact that we won this game is a very good sign ofd things to come with this group of players
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I don't know what Ben's body metrics are but I think Ben could become a OAD. He is really good and was the best player on the court last night. I wish they would have addressed why Jordon got benched down the stretch last night
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:31 am I couldn’t watch last night, but man, nice to pull out a tough road win! Against a team that hadn’t lost yet.

What the heck was up with Baker? This is what makes me nervous about the reliance on 3 pt shooting. When it’s good, we roll. But when those long shots aren’t falling, it can kill you.

Nice to see Mathurin have a big game.

Really looking forward to the L.A. schools. I’d said going 3-2 over this current 5 game stretch would be great, and they’ve already done that.
Baker tweaked his ankle early in the game.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:58 am Baker tweaked his ankle early in the game.
I could not believe he was out there after he injured it. Ended up with 39 minutes. Besides not being able to shoot (1-14), he was unable to defend at all, which he isn't good at anyway.

I do understand the "walk it off" mentality in sports, where if you stop playing, your ankle may swell up even worse.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Nice to win when you have two key guys play as poorly as Baker and JBrown did.

Daley Terry has not played well in awhile while Mathurin has really progressed. Not sure what’s up with Terry but he seems tentative while Mathurin’s confidence has never waivered. He is always aggressive. Might be time to maximize our lineup and have him start over Terry
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Was Jordan the one that WSU coach was jawing with?
It was still going on after game
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So I’m going to assume there’s a legit chance we don’t have Baker this week. Would be a little surprising to rush that injury recovery.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UCLA week means all hands on deck. Hopefully he can rehab well and rest it and play some minutes
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

The road to a Pac title goes through Eugene, again. But yeah, UCLA has been better lately. They just lost Smith for the season, so there’s that. Should be a good game.
prh

Post by prh »

The way Baker looked during the game, he really should take some time off.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

This is such a fun team to watch. They had an off night yesterday but still pulled it out. WSU is much improved this year. I love the consistent scoring we get and we don't have to rely on 1-2 guys to score 15+ or we lose. As someone else mentioned, Brown and Baker both had off nights (and Akinjo wasn;t great) and we still won....in large part thanks to Mathurin. On any given night someone else can step up and be the guy, I think one of the announcers mentioned Arizona really does have 5-6 guys who could score 20+ any game. It could be even more because I could see Terry getting there.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

billk78 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:55 pm This is such a fun team to watch. They had an off night yesterday but still pulled it out. WSU is much improved this year. I love the consistent scoring we get and we don't have to rely on 1-2 guys to score 15+ or we lose. As someone else mentioned, Brown and Baker both had off nights (and Akinjo wasn;t great) and we still won....in large part thanks to Mathurin. On any given night someone else can step up and be the guy, I think one of the announcers mentioned Arizona really does have 5-6 guys who could score 20+ any game. It could be even more because I could see Terry getting there.
And...we don’t even have Kriisa yet.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This year's team makes me really excited for next year. If feels like we're watching something be built that could go on to have a great run next year. Gonna be sad when the season ends because this is just a fun group to watch.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I'm assuming Dookie V will stay far away from Tucson.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

billk78 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:55 pm This is such a fun team to watch. They had an off night yesterday but still pulled it out. WSU is much improved this year. I love the consistent scoring we get and we don't have to rely on 1-2 guys to score 15+ or we lose. As someone else mentioned, Brown and Baker both had off nights (and Akinjo wasn;t great) and we still won....in large part thanks to Mathurin. On any given night someone else can step up and be the guy, I think one of the announcers mentioned Arizona really does have 5-6 guys who could score 20+ any game. It could be even more because I could see Terry getting there.
This year is clearly all about development now, and in light of that, I sort of like having to fight through some adversity on the road.

It helps that we had to have guys like Mathurin step up, Tubelis play more of a role due to foul trouble, and everyone not panic when we got behind in the 1st OT. We won't get tourney experience, but those sort of games can substitute.

Grinding on D and the boards to fight through poor shooting and foul trouble is a good skill to learn. It also makes me happy that, after the tourney ban got announced, we still fought to get a W when we easily could have folded. That's a good sign for character.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Bingo Spiff.

This team seems to be developing a personality for lack of a better term. Go back to all of our "fun" teams to watch and they all had a personality/quality/character/trait that we could hang our hat on even through adversity.

That's the difference with this team that Miller has fielded this year compared to the last several years.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:28 pm This year's team makes me really excited for next year. If feels like we're watching something be built that could go on to have a great run next year. Gonna be sad when the season ends because this is just a fun group to watch.
The "one-and-dones" have cooled a bit on Arizona lately because of the FBI/NCAA issues, but Miller also has started transitioning his recruiting philosophy, and perhaps this is an intended result, with the idea being less roster turnover, and an experienced group returning for next year. It is also a reason why the self-sanction tournament ban makes sense -- try to avoid having this team be penalized next year when it may have a legitimate chance of going on a deep run.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

IMO the self sanctioning did no good at all unless Arizona’s lawyers are amazingly stellar in their arguments against additional post season bans.

I have enjoyed this team and am still in on Miller as a coach because I don’t agree with those that think he cannot coach.

I thought last year was his “proof in the pudding” year but covid changed all that and Sumlin imploding the FB program has solidified Miller in Tucson from what I see.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

I thought we would jump into the ap top 25 after this week. I guess not
I said what I said and I mean it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:16 am IMO the self sanctioning did no good at all unless Arizona’s lawyers are amazingly stellar in their arguments against additional post season bans.

I have enjoyed this team and am still in on Miller as a coach because I don’t agree with those that think he cannot coach.

I thought last year was his “proof in the pudding” year but covid changed all that and Sumlin imploding the FB program has solidified Miller in Tucson from what I see.
I'm not part of the process, but multiple tourney bans is not some common thing. The press hypes it because the press hypes it, but I can only find one instance in relatively modern times in NCAA basketball.

That is 1989 Kentucky. The NCAA's sanctions specifically found that KY would have been eligible for the death penalty (2 year shutdown) and that the facts would support the death penalty. Then, they gave KY mercy in a 2 year tourney ban.

1988 Kansas also was death penalty eligible, and they only got one year.

I look at that and it's hard for me to square that a multiyear ban is particularly possible. Again, this is press hype and sanctimony notwithstanding.

OSU got one year ban for similar offenses and Alabama got zero years. Based on past history, there's little basis for concluding multiple years is reasonable or likely.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:31 am I thought we would jump into the ap top 25 after this week. I guess not
The fact that we are #31 shows that the Pac12 is an afterthought. Meanwhile it seems like every B1G team is ranked even with multiple losses.

Thanks Larry Scott.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:31 am I thought we would jump into the ap top 25 after this week. I guess not
I know it isn't supposed to matter, but now that we got the tourney ban, I feel like it will take a lot to get us in the top 25.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

As of today:
RPI-44
BPI-36
AP- 31
Coaches- NR (48 teams receiving votes)
NET- 21
KenPom-28
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:45 am
I know it isn't supposed to matter, but now that we got the tourney ban, I feel like it will take a lot to get us in the top 25.
We have 2 winnable games on ESPN and ESPN2 this week that should give us the visibility though
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:58 am As of today:
RPI-44
BPI-36
AP- 31
NET- 21
KenPom-28
Seeing us creep up the metric based lists is nice. This is such a weird year, I trust stats much more than the eye test.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:58 am As of today:
RPI-44
BPI-36
AP- 31
NET- 21
KenPom-28
The rankings are good for conversation, but I just feel like these metrics matter a whole lot less in a year without a postseason. We're playing for a Pac title, period. Two games at McKale this week. Winning them both puts us in the driver's seat for a Pac title.