Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Post by 84Cat »

Looks like Kerr is going to play against Utah after all
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

They ought to let him wear jersey number 77. May bring us good luck...
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MountainCat wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:24 pm They ought to let him wear jersey number 77. May bring us good luck...
0 chance of that happening in college ball, at least this season.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

This week is dragging by. How is it not game day yet?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:38 am This week is dragging by. How is it not game day yet?
We got spoiled with 4 games over 10 days the last couple weeks.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

BC, I’m bored though!!! Haha
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:20 am BC, I’m bored though!!! Haha
If you think you're bored now, wait till March Madness (sighs).
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:52 am
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:20 am BC, I’m bored though!!! Haha
If you think you're bored now, wait till March Madness (sighs).
That will for sure be boring...so I think now is more anxious. Really excited to see Kerr play.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

yuk
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

All of our guards struggled to defend and keep their man in front. They were getting beat on the first step, attaching to their hip and either fouling, getting beat to the rim, or forcing a big to help (leaving someone unblocked for an easy rebound). Our bigs got out worked for rebounds, and Kerr was clearly adjusting to the officiating, and college game. Ugly overall game. Not much to like honestly. Akinjo seemed out of sorts,
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:00 am All of our guards struggled to defend and keep their man in front. They were getting beat on the first step, attaching to their hip and either fouling, getting beat to the rim, or forcing a big to help (leaving someone unblocked for an easy rebound). Our bigs got out worked for rebounds, and Kerr was clearly adjusting to the officiating, and college game. Ugly overall game. Not much to like honestly. Akinjo seemed out of sorts,
I have a different take. For a player who has practiced with the team all year he got no love from his fellow players. Kerr was the only one trying to defend until the last 5 minutes of the game... Fouls, he only had one on in in the closing minutes. Problem? No one wanted to pass him the ball. He would throw it inside or to one of the other guards, then get open, only to have that said player take a bad shot rather than pass back out. It's like no one wanted to lose minute to him by throwing back the ball...

Turbelas, and Lee where the only ones working with him when he was in and others mostly ignored him. I was hoping to see him take an early three pointer to see what he could do, but he only got two opportunities all night, both in the final minutes.

This team was asleep all night and didnt' start waking up until the last 7 minutes of the game.

Conspiracy Theory - The early 5 pm MST (4 pm PST) start hindered the game for us with players just not ready to go. Reminded me of an early round exit in the NCAA Tourney on a 12 Noon game.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:00 am All of our guards struggled to defend and keep their man in front. They were getting beat on the first step, attaching to their hip and either fouling, getting beat to the rim, or forcing a big to help (leaving someone unblocked for an easy rebound). Our bigs got out worked for rebounds, and Kerr was clearly adjusting to the officiating, and college game. Ugly overall game. Not much to like honestly. Akinjo seemed out of sorts,
Perimeter D has been a constant struggle this year. It's by far what concerns me the most.

There isn't a defensive scheme you can cook up for not being able to keep a man in front of you. It isn't very teachabale either. You sort of have to just get to where you can do it.

We showed some energy and played well early, then it really just seemed to peter out. Miller was pretty directly critical of Mathurin in this area. It's surprising, because Mathurin is usually one who seems to bring it all the time, but he was definitely not himself.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Best part of game last night was my friend texting me saying we are getting beat by dudes that look like they were part of Color me Badd.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chemistry was clearly an issue last night on offense and defense.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Trust the Process
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:01 am Chemistry was clearly an issue last night on offense and defense.
Sometimes this happens when new players come in mid season. I was a little surprised though considering Kerr has been practicing with the team all year. Hopefully the team can get back on track quickly especially Mathurin.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

SCCats wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:02 am Trust the Process
I'm at a point where I'm not entirely sure what that "process" is. Is it the same as it's always been? The coaching staff has changed considerably. Is the current "process" the same as it was in our Pac title years? Serious question.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:58 am
I'm at a point where I'm not entirely sure what that "process" is. Is it the same as it's always been? The coaching staff has changed considerably. Is the current "process" the same as it was in our Pac title years? Serious question.
The process is to get better.

And please note that everything SCCats posts on the basketball forum circles back to his abject hatred of everything and anything having to do with Sean Miller.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:30 am

And please note that everything SCCats posts on the basketball forum circles back to his abject hatred of everything and anything having to do with Sean Miller.
I don’t hate him.

I hate the results.

Two very different things. I’m sure Miller’s a great guy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's a different process for several reasons. First, we're not eligible for the tourney. The process is usually devoted to peaking in March, but not this year. We're looking to develop habits for 21-22.

Second, this team is notably without the OAD types that marked some of our best years. People may leave, but we're not looking at a situation like last year where all our top three guys are likely to need replacement.

Finally, Covid is just a challenge. It's not unique to us, but it clearly is challenging getting a rhythm when games are irregularly spaced and frequently cancelled.

I mean, ultimately, SCCats frequently drops in for critcism of Miller and the program. I'm not sure he means anything other than general disgruntlement.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:36 am

I don’t hate him.

I hate the results.

Hahaha ..... bullshit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:37 am
SCCats wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:36 am

I don’t hate him.

I hate the results.

Hahaha ..... bullshit.
/shrug
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:36 am I don’t hate him.

I hate the results.
I never really get that. Miller made 3 Elite Eights in the 2010's. Lute/Arizona has never made more than 3 Elite Eights in any decade.

It's a fair point that the FBI scandal damaged us. But if you hate the overall results of Miller's tenure, there's really not much point in supporting Arizona basketball because his Pac performance and NCAA tourney performance is very much in line with Lute's standards to date.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

So in a loss Miller decides to blame the players, notably Mathurin. Why am I not surprised? When will the UA finally realize Miller has overstayed his welcome? He never takes responsibility for anything including the FBI/NCAA kerfuffle. I don't blame ESPN for suing. Miller and the UA's evasiveness during the whole 'investigation' has been nothing short of catastrophic. An innocent man has nothing to hide. It's way past time to move on from Miler. I know you miller blowhards will question who could possibly be good enough to replace the great Sean Miller. For those of you who are stuck in that idiotic mindset just stop it. He's replaceable, VERY replaceable. Quit trying to convince yourself all is well. It's not, and it's a disturbing trend that is not going to change. We've turned into a mediocre conference team in an already weak conference. That's not my idea of progress.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Captain Obvious wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:09 pm So in a loss Miller decides to blame the players, notably Mathurin. Why am I not surprised? When will the UA finally realize Miller has overstayed his welcome? He never takes responsibility for anything including the FBI/NCAA kerfuffle. I don't blame ESPN for suing. Miller and the UA's evasiveness during the whole 'investigation' has been nothing short of catastrophic. An innocent man has nothing to hide. It's way past time to move on from Miler. I know you miller blowhards will question who could possibly be good enough to replace the great Sean Miller. For those of you who are stuck in that idiotic mindset just stop it. He's replaceable, VERY replaceable. Quit trying to convince yourself all is well. It's not, and it's a disturbing trend that is not going to change. We've turned into a mediocre conference team in an already weak conference. That's not my idea of progress.
Were you expecting a team loaded with mostly freshmen to compete for a Pac 12 title this year? I mean, seriously? Our most veteran player is out for the year with a broken wrist. We're starting a sophomore point guard who's honestly had a pretty good year, a true freshman 4-man from Europe. Our whole roster, save for Terrell Brown, is super young and inexperienced. If this was a veteran team with loads of game experience then it's understandable. Save your expectations for when this team is ranked in the top 20 next year and should be competing at the top of the Pac. Take a look at Duke, UK, North Carolina, etc... Hell, Oregon just lost at home to Washington State!!!! Colorado blew a 19 point lead at home to Utah!!!! Those teams have far more experience than Arizona's roster. Have some perspective before you post about this year's team.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That was pretty brutal regarding Mathurin, but Lute used to call out players by name all the time. Reporters too for that matter.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:59 am

I hate the results.
I never really get that. Miller made 3 Elite Eights in the 2010's. Lute/Arizona has never made more than 3 Elite Eights in any decade.
It's a long time ago now. Trajectory has been pretty clearly negative since what, 2015?

I loved 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. Since then, less. Lots less.

People want to give him time. The hire ups have decided this is the route. That's fine.

If I was the decision maker I wouldn't have gone in this route. But I'm not. So we await the results. /shrug
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Captain Obvious wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:09 pm So in a loss Miller decides to blame the players, notably Mathurin. Why am I not surprised? When will the UA finally realize Miller has overstayed his welcome? He never takes responsibility for anything including the FBI/NCAA kerfuffle. I don't blame ESPN for suing. Miller and the UA's evasiveness during the whole 'investigation' has been nothing short of catastrophic. An innocent man has nothing to hide. It's way past time to move on from Miler. I know you miller blowhards will question who could possibly be good enough to replace the great Sean Miller. For those of you who are stuck in that idiotic mindset just stop it. He's replaceable, VERY replaceable. Quit trying to convince yourself all is well. It's not, and it's a disturbing trend that is not going to change. We've turned into a mediocre conference team in an already weak conference. That's not my idea of progress.
He got asked why Mathurin didn't start in the second half. What answer would you have given? When someone doesn't start a second half, it's fairly obvious something negative is the reason.

His options were to duck the question or be direct about why. It's not blaming a guy to give a direct response to a question.

Saying we've turned into a mediocre conference team overlooks that we won conference titles in 4 of 5 years before the FBI investigation happened. For a guy named Captain Obvious, I would say it would befit your name to acknowledge the FBI investigation was going to be a blow to anyone and we'd been rolling before that point.

I've posted before, but we've actually done better than most of the programs implicated by the FBI. KU is struggling this year. Auburn is 10-9. Ok. St. is 7th in the Big 12 at 4-5. Miami is 7-10. NC State is 7-7. The FBI scandal has taken a toll on programs.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think Miller has done very well here, possibly even better than many expected (especially with his recruiting).

What's particularly galling is the 20 year lack of FFs. 20 years. Given the level we'd reached by the early 00s, I didn't think that could happen. Miller had us crushingly close twice, and it's not really fair to blame him for some of the tough breaks we had in '11 and '14.

In the years since, it's been uneven results. I still think the 2019-20 season was among the most disappointing of Miller's tenure at AZ. Nico was overrated, and generally speaking, we just underachieved. We had that freshmen trio for one season; there were no surprises. If we were going all in with the Kentucky/Duke recruiting strategy, it had to pay off. It didn't.

Is Miller replaceable? Sure. Would a new coach get better results? I have a hard time believing a new coach could win 5 Pac titles in under a decade. That's pretty stellar.

I'm pretty open-minded going forward. I wouldn't be opposed to extending Miller's contract, but I also would understand if he and the school decided to part ways.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SCCats wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:09 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:59 am

I hate the results.
It's a long time ago now. Trajectory has been pretty clearly negative since what, 2015?

I loved 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015. Since then, less. Lots less.

People want to give him time. The hire ups have decided this is the route. That's fine.

If I was the decision maker I wouldn't have gone in this route. But I'm not. So we await the results. /shrug
I'd disagree. 16-17 we were very good and basically in the Elite Eight with a real FF shot until a bad last 2 minutes vs Xavier. 17-18 was a super talented team that never jelled.

The FBI investigation was the obvious turning point, and, as I noted in my prior post, it's hit every program implicated.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Y’all still responding to the Captain Obvlivious troll?

:lol:
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

For being 6'3", Kerr looks tiny out there. Showed some moments and good shot mechanics but is he planning on wearing his first name on his jersey all season? Im gonna need at least 3 made threes a game if so
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:08 pm For being 6'3", Kerr looks tiny out there. Showed some moments and good shot mechanics but is he planning on wearing his first name on his jersey all season? Im gonna need at least 3 made threes a game if so
He was listed at 6'1 coming in and I think that's probably closer to accurate. He had two nice passes and ballhandling looked solid.

I wish we weren't just getting him at this point and he'd had a chance to acclimate already. I'm still excited to see what he can do, and getting 19 min right out of the gate is a good sign.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Our back court is small. Especially after losing Baker. Seems like that is causing problems on both ends of court.
Packline seems to be complex. Hopefully next year we will see a big jump in the D with having almost everyone back.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If you are wondering if the allegations have any affect I would say look at Kansas. A friend of mine went to Kansas and they are very worried about recruiting and punishment.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

They should be. In a just world Self & KU would be fucked.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Ben not starting. Hope everything is ok with him
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

No game thread?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

84Cat wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:04 pm Ben not starting. Hope everything is ok with him
Mentioned attitude was issue last game, probably a carry over
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Will we get to double digits in the 1st half? Buffs playing insane d so far
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Fuck it. Let Robbins hire the next HC. We're going to need a Jedd Fisch when all is said and done.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thank goodness we don't have a game thread for this game. We have forgotten how to play basketball.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:06 pm No game thread?
I think it shows how little people care about the team right now. I had to turn the game off, just embarrassing.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

It's all POM'S fault.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

DrWildcat wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:26 pm
Postmaster wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:06 pm No game thread?
I think it shows how little people care about the team right now. I had to turn the game off, just embarrassing.
I care and the team is showing some toughness finally
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

This group is weak, physically
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Batey playing football and the refs are fine with it
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Dave wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:25 pm Thank goodness we don't have a game thread for this game. We have forgotten how to play basketball.
Sorry, been sick today, got the thread up now so 2nd half can be done there if you guys want.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Krill is a really bad ref
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Really like to see Jordan be a factor again. Feels like we do better when he is scoring