The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:45 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:28 am
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:25 am What are your guy's thoughts on Kaiden Rice or Jamison Battle? Both are good shooters and could play the stretch 4 for us. I would still take Eason over both but these two aren't bad
Not big into Rice. His offensive game is very 3 point centric in a way I don't think will translate well (10.6 threes shot per game, WTF?). Battle is more balanced offensively, but Eason dwarfs both on D.

We have more than enough firepower. I'd want a better defender than Rice/Battle, and Eason fits that bill with a developing offensive game.
Good explain, I'd have to agree. We're going to have a lot of great offensive players next year. Defense is going to be the key to our success. If we can play decent defense as a team we're going to be very good. Our defense this year was really poor
Yeah, a big part of it is we need D more than O. Eason is an athletic guy who can defend multiple positions, protect the rim and block shots. Getting that package would immediately give us a tool we lack. Rice/Battle just sort of give us another skillset we already have.

I like Eason because I think he'll develop a lot on O. What stuck out to me on tape is he would touch the ball and immediately attack instead of being patient. This corresponds with a high (24%) turnover percentage. If he's more patient, his assist % suggests he can pass, he's a good, athletic finisher at the rim and the mechanics on his jumper look good.

It also intuitively makes sense a freshman might be playing too fast. He just looked too sped up. If he can slow down and get his J to fall, no reason he can't be dropping 12-14 per game pretty quickly.

I'm worried about the competition because to me, he stands out vs the rest. I liked Bramah more than Rice and Battle, but Eason has tools and upside that dwarf other transfers.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:52 am Any news on Tyty Washington? Maybe this transfer could be because it's looking good for us getting Washington? Tyty honestly looks like a really solid player and could be huge for this team
First we kind of need roster movement. We're one over before any transfer at the moment. To be in the game for Tyty and a transfer, we'd need to shed 3 scholarships.

I'm thinking Baker's one. If I had my dreams fulfilled, any additional drops would be from Batcho, Goerner or little Tubelis (assuming that does not cost us big Tubelis).

Don't know about the red flags 97 mentioned on Tyty, but he is talented. Good physical profile and skillset for a guard.

Edit: Oh, and having a (expletive) coach get an extension would go a long ass way in getting any positive news.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So, we formally reached out to Eason and Myreon Jones from Penn State.

I still love Eason. Jones...well, he's mostly a shooter, and a decent one, but I don't see a whole lot else to be excited about. He seems like Jemarl Baker without experience in our system.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Jones looks like a more complete player then Baker. Jones looks to have better defensive skills and a more complete offensive game. I'd be happy with Jones. What do we think a good comparison is with Tari Eason. Having trouble thinking of a guy uofa has had like him
I said what I said and I mean it.
BeardownZonaZona

And John Brogan on Mike Luke's podcast yesterday stated that it's looking like Arizona is where Eason ends up by the way
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:07 pm Jones looks like a more complete player then Baker. Jones looks to have better defensive skills and a more complete offensive game. I'd be happy with Jones. What do we think a good comparison is with Tari Eason. Having trouble thinking of a guy uofa has had like him
This isn't the be all and end all, but Jones's defensive metrics are not super. That plus 50% of his shots being 3's...to me, very reminiscent of Baker.

I don't think Arizona's had a guy like Eason. He reminds me, defensively, at least, of Patrick Williams from FSU. About 6'8, athletic and versatile with a very high block rate for his size.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:12 pm And John Brogan on Mike Luke's podcast yesterday stated that it's looking like Arizona is where Eason ends up by the way
Please...don't get my hopes up. Resign Miller, bring in Archie and Eason, get a little guard depth and I am so ready for next year.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:12 pm And John Brogan on Mike Luke's podcast yesterday stated that it's looking like Arizona is where Eason ends up by the way
How is it possible that this many quality recruits are looking at Arizona with our coaching decision in limbo. Is it possible that a decision has been made but they're holding off making an announcement for some who the fuck knows reason?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:30 pm
How is it possible that this many quality recruits are looking at Arizona with our coaching decision in limbo. Is it possible that a decision has been made but they're holding off making an announcement for some who the fuck knows reason?
Miller can recruit. He's shown that again and again, even up against some serious shit.

I just wish Robbins would let him have an honest shot next year. Give him 3 years, minimal buyout, bring in Archie. If Miller produces, you've got your guy. If he falters, well, minimal buyout.

It's so flipping obvious, only a super dysfunctional organization could fudge it up. So...I feel like Robbins will fudge this up.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:40 pm
azgreg wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:30 pm
Miller can recruit. He's shown that again and again, even up against some serious shit.

I just wish Robbins would let him have an honest shot next year. Give him 3 years, minimal buyout, bring in Archie. If Miller produces, you've got your guy. If he falters, well, minimal buyout.

It's so flipping obvious, only a super dysfunctional organization could fudge it up. So...I feel like Robbins will fudge this up.
The only way I would come to Arizona is if I intend to be a one and done and I knew for a fact that Arizona was tourney eligible.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:54 pm The only way I would come to Arizona is if I intend to be a one and done and I knew for a fact that Arizona was tourney eligible.
Right now, none of our targets are OAD level unless they lack further eligibility.

I think Eason could get there, but a .486% EFG, 23.0% TO% and .241 3 point % hold him back. He's an NBA defender, but his offense needs to become more efficient before he's genuinely on an NBA radar.

Tyty Washington is the only other guy who has potential to leave early, and he'd have to play really, really well to have that chance after one year. The rest of the guys...no one's leaving before their eligibility is up.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Then it makes no sense that they're considering Arizona unless they know something we don't.
BeardownZonaZona

Tyty comes here he's a starter day one. He fits what we're trying to do very well and can play on or off ball. He takes pride in playing defense and can score. I really like him but I know he has off the court issues. He has OAD potential. I still doubt Tyty comes here although. He has been getting offers and calls from everyone. Duke, UCLA, you name it, they're interested. Going to be very hard to get him to Tucson, but he is a Phoenix kid so it's not too far from where he resides
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:24 pm Then it makes no sense that they're considering Arizona unless they know something we don't.
I'm not sure it's so nonsensical.

First, role probably matters more to a player than tourney. A good player on a non-tourney team will attract attention.

We don't have a player like Eason or Tyty. They both would be unique.

Next, I'd be selling something simple coaching wise. If next year is make or break for Miller, he's selling that if you come to Arizona, you make the team great.
BeardownZonaZona

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:47 pm
azgreg wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:24 pm Then it makes no sense that they're considering Arizona unless they know something we don't.

First, role probably matters more to a player than tourney. A good player on a non-tourney team will attract attention.

Next, I'd be selling something simple coaching wise. If next year is make or break for Miller, he's selling that if you come to Arizona, you make the team great.
Exactly. These two both really fit what Miller wants to do and next year is a year he needs to win in. Gotta go all out if you're Miller. We get both of them that's your starting 2 and 4. Having Kerr, Terry, and Simpson off the bench is a scary bunch off the bench.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:26 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:47 pm

Exactly. These two both really fit what Miller wants to do and next year is a year he needs to win in. Gotta go all out if you're Miller. We get both of them that's your starting 2 and 4. Having Kerr, Terry, and Simpson off the bench is a scary bunch off the bench.
I think Kerr would start over Tyty, but this lineup would make me drool.

Bigs: Jordan, Koloko, Tubelis, Eason.

Wings: Mathurin, Terry, Nowell.

Guards: Akinjo, Kerr, Tyty, Simpson.

That is oozing depth, talent and flexibility. I'm a little worried 97 said Tyty had red flags, but damn, that lineup is scarily loaded.
BeardownZonaZona

I've heard that Tyty has red flags, mostly being personality related. Likes to talk to shit from what I hear, which has caused issues with his teammates in the past. Don't forget Dezonie is another bigger guard/wing who is a defensive minded guy too. Lot of different types of guys on that team if we somehow pull it off. By far that'd be the best rotation we've had in a couple years. Talent left and right. I'd say Koloko would probably be the weakest link there but by no means is he a weak player. If Benn can play to his potential and give us around 15 a night, holy crap that'd a squad. You'd think Akinjo would have a similar year to this past year, around 15 a night with about 5 assists. Tubelis should be good for around 15 and 10. That's a damn good big 3. Throw in a guy like Tyty who has OAD potential and a guys like Kerr, Eason, J. Brown, and that's a wild group. This squad would have high expectations from day one. Media members already saying they're a preseason top 25 squad, throw Eason and Tyty in and that's a preseason favorite to win the PAC and a top 15 team. Wouldn't mind having Jones or Baker instead of Tyty either. They're not as good options due to their defense but they're still capable scorers. That would be a team that if Sean Miller doesn't win with he'd be canned
BeardownZonaZona

Tari Eason to have a virtual meeting with us this week
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:25 pm Tari Eason to have a virtual meeting with us this week
Things are obviously wonky right now, but I'd expect this guy to be a Wildcat.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think the guard duo of Kerr and Akinjo is a liability because of size on the defensive end. They get abused by bigger guards and that is what they are going to face with teams in the PAC like UCLA and Oregon. I think Kerr is a hustler and will draw charges but both these guys get abused down low.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I concur.
BeardownZonaZona

Any chance we try to enter the Nimari Burnett sweepstakes?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:27 pm Any chance we try to enter the Nimari Burnett sweepstakes?
He’s more likely to end up closer to home in the Midwest.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:31 am
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:25 pm Tari Eason to have a virtual meeting with us this week
Things are obviously wonky right now, but I'd expect this guy to be a Wildcat.
That's a huge plus.
BeardownZonaZona

Thanks Choo!
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Hearing TyTy Washington is leaning Arizona. Any traction there?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

NickyBCats wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:06 am Hearing TyTy Washington is leaning Arizona. Any traction there?
I am not sure I am a fan of that if true. Not sure how him and Akinjo can co-exist and I would prefer Akinjo.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:00 pm
NickyBCats wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:06 am Hearing TyTy Washington is leaning Arizona. Any traction there?
I am not sure I am a fan of that if true. Not sure how him and Akinjo can co-exist and I would prefer Akinjo.
Any particular reason? Tyty looks like a combo to me and even if he isn't, Miller's recent push has been a two PG lineup.

Akinjo isn't a true pass first PG, so I don't think you lose much. I'd think Tyty is a primary bench guard to replace Akinjo/Kriisa as needed. The guy(s) he would cut heavily into is KJ Simpson, plus Shane Dezonie.
BeardownZonaZona

What makes Tyty special is that he's very good playing on or off ball. He also really takes pride in playing defense, something our guards struggled with this season. I think really fits with what CSM wants to do and our system. Him as a sixth man or a 2 guard beside Akinjo would be very big for us. Tyty could be a big difference maker
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:00 pm What makes Tyty special is that he's very good playing on or off ball. He also really takes pride in playing defense, something our guards struggled with this season. I think really fits with what CSM wants to do and our system. Him as a sixth man or a 2 guard beside Akinjo would be very big for us. Tyty could be a big difference maker
I really like Kriisa, so that, plus experience, makes me think he and Akinjo would start.

That said, first guard off the bench is a nice slot if Tyty came here. I agree with you he'd be well suited because he appears capable of complementing either Akinjo or Kriisa as needed.

Eason is my white whale left out there, but Tyty is intriguing. If we wound up with a perimeter bench rotation of Terry, Nowell, Tyty and KJ, I think we would be stacked almost to the point of some redundancy.

The upside of that would also be that in 2022-23, we likely would return Kriisa, Tyty and KJ all ready to contribute at the guard spots with Terry and Nowell at the 3. That's the sort of multiyear upside I like.
BeardownZonaZona

Couldn't agree more. Our backcourt is already looking really nice but adding Tyty would just make our backcourt so good. He's someone who can make their own shots which isn't something we got too much of. I would think we'd have the deepest backcourt in the conference
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:20 pm
gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:00 pm
Any particular reason? Tyty looks like a combo to me and even if he isn't, Miller's recent push has been a two PG lineup.

Akinjo isn't a true pass first PG, so I don't think you lose much. I'd think Tyty is a primary bench guard to replace Akinjo/Kriisa as needed. The guy(s) he would cut heavily into is KJ Simpson, plus Shane Dezonie.
Tyty from the videos I have seen seems to be a guy who likes the ball in his hands and has a me attitude (see Alonzo Verge, Chris Rodgers) that I feel could hurt our chemistry and not mesh with Akinjo. I could be entirely wrong and he could be a big addition, he clearly has talent. My biggest concern continues to be perimeter defense and if he can help there and can buy in I am all for it.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:24 pm
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:00 pm What makes Tyty special is that he's very good playing on or off ball. He also really takes pride in playing defense, something our guards struggled with this season. I think really fits with what CSM wants to do and our system. Him as a sixth man or a 2 guard beside Akinjo would be very big for us. Tyty could be a big difference maker
I really like Kriisa, so that, plus experience, makes me think he and Akinjo would start.

That said, first guard off the bench is a nice slot if Tyty came here. I agree with you he'd be well suited because he appears capable of complementing either Akinjo or Kriisa as needed.

Eason is my white whale left out there, but Tyty is intriguing. If we wound up with a perimeter bench rotation of Terry, Nowell, Tyty and KJ, I think we would be stacked almost to the point of some redundancy.

The upside of that would also be that in 2022-23, we likely would return Kriisa, Tyty and KJ all ready to contribute at the guard spots with Terry and Nowell at the 3. That's the sort of multiyear upside I like.
Your comments here lead me to believe Benn may not be long for the program which really sucks if it is the case, but makes the addition to Tyty make more sense. Eason is a no brainer for me and we should be all in on him.
BeardownZonaZona

I don't expect Mathurin to be here after next year. He plays up to his potential next year, assuming he does in fact come back, he's a first round pick. No question. Was almost one this year
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I get these kids get drafted on potential and BM has that and more but man, he is not close to providing a consistent effort and great game awareness
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
BeardownZonaZona

That's why I think next year is huge for him. He plays up to his potential, he's going to be a first rounder guaranteed. Bet he could possibly go second round now as a player who gets stashed in the G league to develop
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:47 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:24 pm

Your comments here lead me to believe Benn may not be long for the program which really sucks if it is the case, but makes the addition to Tyty make more sense. Eason is a no brainer for me and we should be all in on him.
I don't think we'll see him as a junior. I would think returning as a soph benefits him, but you never know.

If I had to predict now, I think he maybe tests the waters this year, but leaves to be a 1st rounder after his soph year.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I will quote the great Lute Olson. It isn't whether you are good enough to get drafted, it is if you can get the second contract.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

TheCat wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:27 pm I will quote the great Lute Olson. It isn't whether you are good enough to get drafted, it is if you can get the second contract.
That view went away from this program when Lute Olson left.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:46 pm
TheCat wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:27 pm I will quote the great Lute Olson. It isn't whether you are good enough to get drafted, it is if you can get the second contract.
A rookie contract is life changing.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:47 pm

Maybe first round, if you have a good financial advisor. Not second round or UDFA.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Gil was the only one who I think benefited from being in the 2nd round. 1st rounders get guaranteed 3 year contracts, 2nd rounders do not, so Gil was able to make his 2nd contract a huge one and ahead of anyone else who was drafted that year in the 1st round.

Ndudi of course sat on the bench for 3 years being drafted in the first round. One of Kevin McHale's many bonehead moves as GM.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azgreg wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:47 pm
A second contract is life changing for generations.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Things have changed since then. The guarantee of two years has let players be more aggressive in getting their clock started.

Also, the G League...the NBA will invest in players like they didn't back in the day.

If you're a 1st rounder, the veteran minimum once your 1st contract is over is 1.737 million per year.
BeardownZonaZona

Just read an article for 247 about Tyty Washington. They were saying that Kansas is the frontrunner for Tyty
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Sounds like it is between Kansas and Arizona.
BeardownZonaZona

Probably going to come down to playing time then. Both us and Kansas have a point guard that may or may not be returning. I'm assuming if any of the two guards decide to leave college, that's where he'll go
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:43 am Probably going to come down to playing time then. Both us and Kansas have a point guard that may or may not be returning. I'm assuming if any of the two guards decide to leave college, that's where he'll go
I'm less cranked up about Tyty vs Eason. Eason is a unique guy and great defender.

I think Tyty is better than KJ, but feel fine if we have Terry, Mathurin, Nowell, Dezonie, KJ, Akinjo and Kriisa. That's already crowded, and KJ, Dezonie and Nowell should all be solid players, just a question of how fast.
BeardownZonaZona

You're right. We really don't need him. Only way we really do is if Akinjo leaves. And even then, we still wouldn't as we have enough guards.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:51 am You're right. We really don't need him. Only way we really do is if Akinjo leaves. And even then, we still wouldn't as we have enough guards.
I'd be ok getting him, it's just more he could be a better version of what we already have where Eason is something I feel we lack.

Frankly, a 6'8 guy with agility and high level rim protection is something most teams lack.