Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

phxcat23

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by phxcat23 »

The sad part is Miller was still trying to put the best product he could on the court even with all this happening behind the scenes with these clowns. The only way they could really stop him was by firing him. He continued to be relentless until the end, and that I will admire about CSM.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

phxcat23 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:19 am The sad part is Miller was still trying to put the best product he could on the court even with all this happening behind the scenes with these clowns. The only way they could really stop him was by firing him. He continued to be relentless until the end, and that I will admire about CSM.
This 1000 percent.
Just angers me to no end these 2 boneheads screwed up our entire program in a spineless, weasel-esque way in addition to not having a fucking plan in place.
Amateur hour for sure.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Maybe Robbins lucks into a worthwhile coach but at this point I really doubt it. Pretty much prepared for the worst.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:04 pm
So today seems like a really important day.

If Lloyd isn't announced today, we are probably fucked
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Yep, agreed. Preparing for the worst but maybe a miracle can happen despite the bungling by our douchebag Pres & AD.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:50 am Although we are all frustrated to no end this quote made me feel better that the word is out on how bad tweedle dee and tweedle dum are:

Arizona made the decision to fire Sean Miller a few days after the Oregon game and waited over a month to do it only when Miller started to shake the tree a bit. Instead of moving quickly, the coaching search is another example of one of the worst run athletic departments in the country.

Dave Heeke is an athletic director in name only and Arizona has a school president that wants to be the athletic director in addition to running a university. It's an awful combination that continues to hurt Arizona and is once again on display with how they are handling this coaching search.

Where is that quote from?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Today is a big day. I have a feeling that if it isn't Lloyd by tonight it's not Lloyd ever
I said what I said and I mean it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:06 am Sheer's article.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/A ... 164082558/
Unfortunately Scheer is only really talking to an audience that already knows these guys are buffoons.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Now what?

Sources indicate that Arizona will re-evaluate its options on Tuesday. That could mean it will offer a candidate, but we have heard there is also a possibility that the administration basically starts over and reaches out to a few others.

If the latter happens, it means that Lloyd did not blow Arizona away in his interview. If he did, you have to figure that he would have been the head coach already or at least get hired on Tuesday since Musselman is officially out of the equation.

Tuesday seems like the biggest day of this search yet because Arizona has
Sheesh :roll:
ekat

Post by ekat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:25 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:06 am Sheer's article.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/A ... 164082558/
Unfortunately Scheer is only really talking to an audience that already knows these guys are buffoons.
FWIW, Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander called out Heeke as powerless, and said that everyone in coaching circles knows it’s all Robbins in their podcast on Eye On The Ball last Friday, and that it made no sense to fire Miller when they did. They also said we’d have a new coach by yesterday though. (Of course Parrish had to add in comments about cheating and stuff but that’s never going away at this point.)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:54 am
Now what?

Sources indicate that Arizona will re-evaluate its options on Tuesday. That could mean it will offer a candidate, but we have heard there is also a possibility that the administration basically starts over and reaches out to a few others.

If the latter happens, it means that Lloyd did not blow Arizona away in his interview. If he did, you have to figure that he would have been the head coach already or at least get hired on Tuesday since Musselman is officially out of the equation.

Tuesday seems like the biggest day of this search yet because Arizona has
Sheesh :roll:
Tuesday is the biggest day...until Wednesday.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

I'm at the dealer, actually paying for services I don't (really) need, and it's painless compared to how I'm being fucked as a Wildcat fan. So I'm grateful for the perspective, I suppose.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I also need to do something to make myself feel better.... I think I may go pull out 1 of my teeth
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

It's also a possibility that as the process has unfolded, Lloyd has had time to evaluate Arizona and the administration. This is a two-way street. He may be signaling that he's not entirely sold on taking the job -- especially after Robbins decided to hit the pause button and see if he could make a run at Musselman.

Robbins has painted himself into a corner and it's clear he didn't have much of a contingency plan.

The Arizona basketball program would be on much stronger ground if Miller had been an extended by a few years to see how next season unfolded. But alas, egos are involved and Robbins is just too in love with himself as self-appointed king of the UA.

It's a shame that the local media's hate for Sean Miller is stronger than their ability to accurately evaluate the shit-show that Robbins and Heeke have created. Is there one honest journalist in Arizona that can call a spade a spade? I doubt it because they were so invested in Miller getting fired that they're blinded by the absolute disaster the administration has created.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:46 am I also need to do something to make myself feel better.... I think I may go pull out 1 of my teeth
I have already done that...got upper and lower full arch implants to keep me from doing it again...I have now moved on the the finger and toenails. :P
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I just don't get why so many people want Lloyd hired. The guy has never been a head coach, just an assistant. What makes him the best candidate? I think Gonzaga's success is mostly due to Few.
There are head coaches out there that are more qualified than Lloyd. I am not going to panic like many here are doing. Honestly, I would rather have Damon over Lloyd. At least Damon has been named COY, which so happens to be in the same conference as Gonzaga.
Whoever is named the new head coach, I will support.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status ... 03971?s=21

Musselman is finalizing a new contract. He says thanks AZ for the letter of recommendation.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

TheCat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:34 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:32 pm If you are a good coach, you will outlast administrations.

Arizona is a good job, even with Robbins hiring.
Ask Sean Miller his thoughts on your statement.
He was on his 3rd administration. But go on.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:49 am It's also a possibility that as the process has unfolded, Lloyd has had time to evaluate Arizona and the administration. This is a two-way street. He may be signaling that he's not entirely sold on taking the job -- especially after Robbins decided to hit the pause button and see if he could make a run at Musselman.

It's a shame that the local media's hate for Sean Miller is stronger than their ability to accurately evaluate the shit-show that Robbins and Heeke have created. Is there one honest journalist in Arizona that can call a spade a spade? I doubt it because they were so invested in Miller getting fired that they're blinded by the absolute disaster the administration has created.
A lot of truth here.

I genuinely wonder the same, whether Lloyd really should have been interested to begin with. He'd be working for a guy who makes you kiss his ring every time you see him. That guy and the AD might be gone in a year. Half the fanbase doesn't want you because they support the previous coach. You sort of have to win immediately or the pressure will build fast.

Or just stay in a low pressure, winning situation and wait.

The media's response has been very disappointing. Guys like Alexander, openly celebrating just based on personal dislike of Miller.

If you want to be regarded as journalists seeking truth, you have to act like it. There hasn't been much of that. It's comical watching local news in Tucson act like hotshots a coach should cater too as well. You're a sports guy in Tucson.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Irish27 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:02 am I just don't get why so many people want Lloyd hired. The guy has never been a head coach, just an assistant. What makes him the best candidate? I think Gonzaga's success is mostly due to Few.
There are head coaches out there that are more qualified than Lloyd. I am not going to panic like many here are doing. Honestly, I would rather have Damon over Lloyd. At least Damon has been named COY, which so happens to be in the same conference as Gonzaga.
To me it's about having a plan... good or bad.... that plan appeared to be Lloyd.

Now it appears there was no plan.

That should make everyone freaked out and pissed off.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:02 am I just don't get why so many people want Lloyd hired. The guy has never been a head coach, just an assistant. What makes him the best candidate? I think Gonzaga's success is mostly due to Few.
With Lloyd, at least you can sell upside based on him allegedly being a rising prospect. This is just what people think.

Damon, he's had one good season and 4 mediocre to bad seasons. Not hating, but he's not a top 15 mid-low major coach and would have no business getting this job if he wasn't an alum.

My opinion is simple. Robbins f***ed up, and any new hire will be a downgrade, where success is contingent on the hire massively outperforming their resume.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:10 am
To me it's about having a plan... good or bad.... that plan appeared to be Lloyd.

Now it appears there was no plan.

That should make everyone freaked out and pissed off.
Yep. I didn't want Lloyd. Still don't really, although I would be willing to take a flyer on him as opposed to some others who have been bandied about.

What I wanted was for there to be a well-thought out plan or to not fire Miller until there was one. The fact that Lloyd's name has been all over the place shows that the preliminary plan was the go for the hottest assistant in the West, before ever having vetted him or worked out if there was a fit. The fact that Lloyd hasn't already been hired means that plan has likely gone to shit.

That's not how coaching searches for top tier P5 teams are supposed to go. But we don't have a top tier P5 administration. Instead we've got one guy with his thumb up his ass and the other guy playing some adult LARPer strategy game against himself ... and losing.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

I want neither of them. You are correct. Few is responsible for the success GU has experienced. Lloyd may have had a hand in achieving that success but it wasn't significant enough to warrant him being credited with it.

As for Damon and any of the other former Wildcat players. none of them are qualified to take over the program in my opinion. I have said it before on here and I will say it again, they do not have what it takes, from a coaching perspective, to achieve the success expected of an Arizona Wildcat head coach. They are still running with training wheels on. Coach O had 14 years as a college level head coach before he came to Arizona. Damon has had 5 years as a head coach and even though he has had the same amount of time as CSM (calling the shots) his record is nowhere near that of what CSM had accomplished.

Sorry to say it. I love all our former players. I really do. I just don't think they are ready for "prime time" yet.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:16 am
With Lloyd, at least you can sell upside based on him allegedly being a rising prospect. This is just what people think.

Damon, he's had one good season and 4 mediocre to bad seasons. Not hating, but he's not a top 15 mid-low major coach and would have no business getting this job if he wasn't an alum.

My opinion is simple. Robbins f***ed up, and any new hire will be a downgrade, where success is contingent on the hire massively outperforming their resume.
Lloyd keeps the current roster together and is able to add a few immediate additions.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

UofAlum05 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:24 am

Lloyd keeps the current roster together and is able to add a few immediate additions.
Which is why this decision needed to be made yesterday.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Robbins clearly doesnt care about the current roster otherwise he would have kept Miller.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Yeah, but as a first note, Miller would easily have done that. With support, he would have kept our top 7 and we'd added Aiken already. At best, Lloyd might come close to equaling Miller here.

The bottom line for me is also a new coach is about the long term direction and formation of the program. Who really has any clue what that is with Lloyd?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dosia wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:29 am Robbins clearly doesnt care about the current roster otherwise he would have kept Miller.
And exactly why the ABOR should fire Robbins, for purposely destroying the UA basketball program as a personal vendetta against Miller.

The firing happened at the worst possible time. Now the Cats are losing players, and can't get a good coach to lead the program.

Now that Cats are going to get the shitty times since no one wants to see them play.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Basketcats wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:21 am

As for Damon and any of the other former Wildcat players. none of them are qualified to take over the program in my opinion. I have said it before on here and I will say it again, they do not have what it takes, from a coaching perspective, to achieve the success expected of an Arizona Wildcat head coach. They are still running with training wheels on. Coach O had 14 years as a college level head coach before he came to Arizona. Damon has had 5 years as a head coach and even though he has had the same amount of time as CSM (calling the shots) his record is nowhere near that of what CSM had accomplished.

Sorry to say it. I love all our former players. I really do. I just don't think they are ready for "prime time" yet.
It would be great to have a former player as our coach but the 2 qualified, as of right now, are not taking the job.

Of course If any former player gets hired I will root like hell for him, but my biggest fear is that they will not be up for the job and I just can't imagine what it would feel like to have to fire someone like Damon, who is an all time great at AZ
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Didn't we decide it's stupid that a coaching position shouldn't be influenced by a player that won't be here as long as the coach, a la Khalil Tate & Ken N?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

PieceOfMeat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:58 pm Scheer finally just says it
"FUCK PLAN B! It's time to do something even if it's wrong!

That's what everyone wants to hear in cardio-thoracic surgery; why not apply it to college basketball?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I will say this-

I know RJ has zero coaching experience..... but he would be awesome to have around every day
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:08 am
Olsondogg wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:32 pm If you are a good coach, you will outlast administrations.

Guess he didn't outlast this administration as your statement above suggests.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheCat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:50 am
Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:08 am

Guess he didn't outlast this administration as your statement above suggests.
He didn't say this administration, he said administrations.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:38 am I will say this-

I know RJ has zero coaching experience..... but he would be awesome to have around every day
RJ was clearly a Miller fan, I wonder if we didn't squander some of his support over this fiasco too.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Hire Luke Walton and he hires RJ and Gil as #1 and #2. We might not win, but we'd be relevant and entertaining.

I only say Luke as HC because he's got HC experience. For max entertainment make Gil the HC, obviously.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

I'm sorry Gilbert. Tour opinion was just flat out wrong
I said what I said and I mean it.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Gil clearly has the mindset of someone who has never coached and probably never listened to a coach since Lute.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azpatnca wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:01 am

Hire Luke Walton and he hires RJ and Gil as #1 and #2. We might not win, but we'd be relevant and entertaining.

I only say Luke as HC because he's got HC experience. For max entertainment make Gil the HC, obviously.
Gil as head coach is an experiment I'd love to see! That would be fun... not good... but so much fun
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

After Kerr, Luke is the only alum I'd even consider.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:59 am

RJ was clearly a Miller fan, I wonder if we didn't squander some of his support over this fiasco too.
Cool, we pissed off the one former player that actually puts his money where his mouth is to placate the like of AJ Bramlett and Gil. Wonderful.

Fuckin Robbins.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I agree 100% with this.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:11 am Gil clearly has the mindset of someone who has never coached and probably never listened to a coach since Lute.
Who said he listened to Lute?

:lol:
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:22 am
gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:11 am Gil clearly has the mindset of someone who has never coached and probably never listened to a coach since Lute.

Gil mentioned that Lute said that Gil had the highest BB IQ of anyone he coached. I've had never heard that before
ekat

Post by ekat »

84Cat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:24 am

Gil mentioned that Lute said that Gil had the highest BB IQ of anyone he coached. I've had never heard that before
Well, he also did say that he’d rather be called a liar than a felon. He’s hilarious. And crazy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:24 am

That is proof positive that basketball IQ is different from other aspects of life such as mental stability and maturity, both of which Gil's been shaky in.

One of the highest basketball IQ guys I played with, I remember trying to explain basic algebra to him at one point. Like 5 + X = 13 type algebra. 45 minutes and he absolutely could not grasp it. On the court, got all concepts immediately. I couldn't understand it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here's a post from some dude over at the GU board:
I just got off the phone with my contact and he said it is "less than 50/50 to happen" and "unlikely" that Tommy leaves for Arizona. I asked if this was on the Arizona side or Tommy's side, and he said a combination. I didn't press for more details, but for what it's worth, I think this entire fiasco has maybe given Tommy pause. This is all second hand information, so take it for what its worth, but my guy is typically accurate on what he tells me. I think this was nearly a done deal the end of last week and then the UA president got involved
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

So are we any closer to having a head coach?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update: