Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

phenom5

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by phenom5 »

Irish27 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:02 am I just don't get why so many people want Lloyd hired. The guy has never been a head coach, just an assistant. What makes him the best candidate? I think Gonzaga's success is mostly due to Few.
There are head coaches out there that are more qualified than Lloyd. I am not going to panic like many here are doing. Honestly, I would rather have Damon over Lloyd. At least Damon has been named COY, which so happens to be in the same conference as Gonzaga.
Whoever is named the new head coach, I will support.
Who?
I am not saying you are wrong, but I am interested in who these more qualified coaches are that are out there. Damon, I guess. Seems like just as much as a gamble as Lloyd. Mark Pope? Meh. Wes Miller? JFC we fired Sean Miller for him? Beilein as a stop gap? Maybe, if you can hire him right now. Seems to fall off the cliff after that.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

azgreg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:35 am Here's a post from some dude over at the GU board:
I just got off the phone with my contact and he said it is "less than 50/50 to happen" and "unlikely" that Tommy leaves for Arizona. I asked if this was on the Arizona side or Tommy's side, and he said a combination. I didn't press for more details, but for what it's worth, I think this entire fiasco has maybe given Tommy pause. This is all second hand information, so take it for what its worth, but my guy is typically accurate on what he tells me. I think this was nearly a done deal the end of last week and then the UA president got involved
"and then the UA president got involved" :lol:
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

>>I think this was nearly a done deal the end of last week and then the UA president got involved

The best thing he can do if that's the case is to say it out loud. If the media narrative is the UA President is incompetent maybe we'll get that fixed and then we'll get a new coach hired by a new AD selected by a competent president.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azpatnca wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:43 am >>I think this was nearly a done deal the end of last week and then the UA president got involved

The best thing he can do if that's the case is to say it out loud. If the media narrative is the UA President is incompetent maybe we'll get that fixed and then we'll get a new coach hired by a new AD selected by a competent president.
You’re talking about getting a new coach to replace whoever Robbins hires, right?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:35 am Here's a post from some dude over at the GU board:
I just got off the phone with my contact and he said it is "less than 50/50 to happen" and "unlikely" that Tommy leaves for Arizona. I asked if this was on the Arizona side or Tommy's side, and he said a combination. I didn't press for more details, but for what it's worth, I think this entire fiasco has maybe given Tommy pause. This is all second hand information, so take it for what its worth, but my guy is typically accurate on what he tells me. I think this was nearly a done deal the end of last week and then the UA president got involved
Well, when he added that last part, that post got to sounding a whole lot more legit.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I think they should just hire Pastner. He can recruit and if he could get a solid assistant to help him, I think he would do fine.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:02 pm I think they should just hire Pastner. He can recruit and if he could get a solid assistant to help him, I think he would do fine.
This isn't to flame you personally, but "Josh Pastner doesn't seem so bad anymore" is a circle of hell in a coaching search.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Irish27 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:02 pm I think they should just hire Pastner. He can recruit and if he could get a solid assistant to help him, I think he would do fine.
Just so many old time fans resent his smugness and he just being a douchebag in general turns so many people off.

I'd take Damon over Pastner in a heartbeat, and Damon is very low on my list, just above Miles, Matt and JeT.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Because he's been so stellar at Georgia Tech?

Hard pass.

Hard. Pass.
eoe

Post by eoe »

Merkin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:06 pm
Just so many old time fans resent his smugness and he just being a douchebag in general turns so many people off.

I'd take Damon over Pastner in a heartbeat, and Damon is very low on my list, just above Miles, Matt and JeT.

Pastner is a cheater. Pastner is a terrible coach. Pastner has consistently done more with less. Pastner is not fit to be our head coach. Folks, we have 5 major infractions levied at us by the NCAA, we CANNOT hire cheaters like Pastner and Pitino :idea:

Hiring a Beilein is a terrible path too. Short-term hires are not conducive to program building.

Edit: Beilein also essentially quit college basketball because of our "scandal" and was worn out from the politicking and rear-kissing with recruiting. No thank you.
Last edited by eoe on Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Chicat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:59 am
azpatnca wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:43 am >>I think this was nearly a done deal the end of last week and then the UA president got involved

You’re talking about getting a new coach to replace whoever Robbins hires, right?
Yeah that or assuming we keep the interim until after we get a new President and then a new AD. I'm thinking it'll get worse before it gets better so just start on the fire the president campaign and go from there.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

eoe wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:12 pm
Merkin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:06 pm

Pastner is a cheater. Pastner is a terrible coach. Pastner has consistently done more with less. Pastner is not fit to be our head coach. Folks, we have 5 major infractions levied at us by the NCAA, we CANNOT hire cheaters like Pastner and Pitino :idea:

Hiring a Beilein is a terrible path too. Short-term hires are not conducive to program building.
Beilein would be solid given the options. Yeah, he's not at all a long term solution, but he'd be fine in the immediate future and not leave us a dumpster fire a la Sumlin.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Cool, since I am 50/50 right now on whether to jump off a cliff.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

I'd take Damon with JET on staff over Pastner in a heartbeat. And I think Damon is a lousy hire.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

FWIW, our man Chief thinks it's still Lloyd. He's pretty pumped too. Said the other day he's gonna get tickets and be a basketball fan now. Today he again said it's still Lloyd. Do we actually believe this clown or no? :roll:
I said what I said and I mean it.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I know this is a difficult period of time, but the Pastner talk is borderline insane. I would rather go through a interm year with Jack and Terry.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Yeah, I'd stick with Murph over Pastner. Dude just grates on every level for me...if he were a world-beater coach maybe, but he aint.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

phenom5 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:23 pm
I'd take Damon with JET on staff over Pastner in a heartbeat. And I think Damon is a lousy hire.
I mean, Damon is better than Pastner by default. Pastner...

Arizona fan--"Josh, people thought Sean Miller underachieved with his talent."

Pastner--"Hold my beer."
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Remember that time when Robbins single handedly saved Arizona basketball from becoming too successful and instead made it a laughing stock of NCAA Basketball world?

Good times.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

All the best head coaches started as an assistant somewhere. But just because one was a great assistant, doesn't mean he/she will be a great head coach. Giving someone their first head coaching job is a risk. When that job is Arizona Men's Basketball, it's even more difficult, because of the added pressure cooker that is Arizona Basketball. Hire someone who isn't ready or right for a head coach job like Arizona, and the results can be devastating. See UCLA plus Lavin, Steve. Lavin knows the game of basketball, and is one of the best studio guys in the game. Why that didn't translate from coach to the court for Lavin? Who knows, but I think Lavin got a big job way too soon, and just couldn't respond to the pressure. Effected him his entire career.

I see Pastner with a similar trajectory as Lavin. Should have gone to Kentucky with Cal as lead assistant, but got the Memphis head gig before Pastner was truly ready. Got the G-Tech job before he was fired at Memphis, and if you look at Pastner's overall results, very Lavin like. Throw in NCAA issues and Pastner is someone that we shouldn't even be talking to right now.

Lloyd is a gamble, but it looks like Robbins stuck his nose in again, and understandably, Lloyd wants no part of our shit show. That probably leaves Damon as our best option. Think about this. Arizona Basketball, and the best we can do is a guy with a .480 winning percentage at Pacific? But at least Damon has been a head coach for five years, and been a coach for over a decade now. Plus side, Damon took over for a coach that had a .400 winning percentage at Pacific, and first four years, had Pacific on the right trajectory. Stumbled a bit this year, but had a number of games COVID canceled, which can effect continuity. I'm willing to give Damon a pass for this year.

Realistically, I'd rather see Damon get a job at a lower P5 Basketball school before coming back to Tucson. Kind of like Musselman, who made Nevada competitive, then took Arkansas to the Elite 8. That's the kind of resume Arizona should be hiring, but Robbins messed this one up too. But we may have no other real options at this point. Damon is better than Pastner, Simon, JET, and Brase, who I can't believe is even being considered.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

I'd take Mark Pope over any Arizona alum at this point
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:33 pm FWIW, our man Chief thinks it's still Lloyd. He's pretty pumped too. Said the other day he's gonna get tickets and be a basketball fan now. Today he again said it's still Lloyd. Do we actually believe this clown or no? :roll:
I keep a shortlist of people who, when they predict something or are excited about something, I think the opposite is likely true.
ekat

Post by ekat »

I stole this from someone on 247 but..... Jason Gardner. I mean, Muss had a DUI too, and it’s been waaaaaay longer than sevun years.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:33 pm FWIW, our man Chief thinks it's still Lloyd. He's pretty pumped too. Said the other day he's gonna get tickets and be a basketball fan now. Today he again said it's still Lloyd. Do we actually believe this clown or no? :roll:
Chief has never known shit about anything.... unfollow that idiot
BeardownZonaZona

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 pm
I keep a shortlist of people who, when they predict something or are excited about something, I think the opposite is likely true.
Agreed. That guy is something else. Or should I call him Tatanka?
BeardownZonaZona

Alieberman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:41 pm
Chief has never known shit about anything.... unfollow that idiot
He's just funny to laugh at. I enjoy when he has his Twitter breakdowns and fires off like 10 tweets in an hour rambling about Doyle
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Lol at the UofA President getting involved. Literally everything he gets involved with turns up shit. Must have a crony in need of a job. Maybe he hires Johnny Dawkins. They probably crossed paths when he was at Stanford. Hell maybe Robbins discovered the Fountain of Youth and brings Mike Montgomery out of retirement.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Dan Marjle is available?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I feel like "and then the UA president got involved" has potential as a euphemism for when the wheels came off of any particular process.

I.e., the Falcons jumped out to a 28-3 lead over the Patriots in the Super Bowl, and then the UA president got involved.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I feel like such a sucker for sending people interviews with Lloyd. Over the weekend, I'd pretty much taken for granted that he was the guy.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Would JET stay on staff with Damon? He from what I have seen is a better communicator with players and a million times better recruiter. I wouldn't stay on if I was him with someone I feel I am a better option at coach than.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:54 pm I feel like "and then the UA president got involved" has potential as a euphemism for when the wheels came off of any particular process.

I.e., the Falcons jumped out to a 28-3 lead over the Patriots in the Super Bowl, and then the UA president got involved.
The Seahawks had the ball and Marshawn Lynch on the 1 yard line, and then the UA President got involved.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If that's where we are this is a disaster of epic proportions. In a normal world Pastner wouldn't even be a top 15 candidate
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:06 pm
This isn't to flame you personally, but "Josh Pastner doesn't seem so bad anymore" is a circle of hell in a coaching search.
Sorry but Josh is just a glad hander and a self promoter. If you even watch the celebration after winning the national championship he gets his mug right up front. I would be livid if he got hired. Glad he won the ACC tourney but he needs to fade out of Arizona's consideration FAST.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:56 pm
Would JET stay on staff with Damon? He from what I have seen is a better communicator with players and a million times better recruiter. I wouldn't stay on if I was him with someone I feel I am a better option at coach than.
Certainly not a given, but something I have seen hinted at. Would make sense if offered. JET may well end up better, but he's so green right now, what he needs is time in the chair. From my perspective it makes sense to offer, to help with roster continuity and a quick turn around.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ekat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 pm I stole this from someone on 247 but..... Jason Gardner. I mean, Muss had a DUI too, and it’s been waaaaaay longer than sevun years.
DUI? Damon has multiple arrests for pot including one when first arrested was a felony (doubt it ended up as one). Granted pot is mostly legal and I never considered it a big deal but try telling that to a dad or mom that has a history of damning drug issues in their family. I don't know how that is not disqualifying as unfair has that might be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

TheCat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:50 am
Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:08 am
TheCat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:34 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:32 pm If you are a good coach, you will outlast administrations.

Arizona is a good job, even with Robbins hiring.
Ask Sean Miller his thoughts on your statement.
He was on his 3rd administration. But go on.
Guess he didn't outlast this administration as your statement above suggests.
He was hired by livengood. Then Byrne, then Heeke.

I remember Likins, hart and bow Robbins.

Do the math, genius.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

This was the betting line at one point for the Indiana job opening.

It's a different school, but it's still a pretty good neighborhood comp, imo.

Pastner wasn't considered for Indiana. I know he's a UA alumn, but I don't know if that is enough.

I'm okay with his name on the list. I just would expect the conversation to be "I like Pastner, but not at much as [top tier candidate]" much like it was when we said we liked Pastner but not as much as Sean Miller. Normally I'd be the sentimental one trying to argue for Pastner, but knowing cooler heads will pick the Sean Miller of this year's coaches. Instead, Pastner is looking like the best we can do, and I'm not sure it's because he's one of the top coaches in America. If he was, he'd have been on Indiana's list. That's the reason for the comp, to check myself. Maybe I am biased against Pastner to try to not be biased for him. But when I don't see him listed for IU I don't know. To his credit, GT fans don't want to lose him. So that's something.

Beilein +300
S. Drew +350
C. Beard +500
Alford +700
Altman +900
T. Matta +1200
D. Fife +1400
E. Musselman +1500
P. Moser +1700
N. Oats +2000
M. Pope +2500
Rick Pitino +3000
M. Few +4000
Brad Stevens +5000
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

GFY with this shit
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Rick Pitino = cheater
Josh Pastner = cheater
Bruce Pearl = cheater
Bill Self = cheater
John Calipari = cheater
Mike Krzyzewski = cheater
Will Wade = cheater
Chris Beard = cheater
Larry Krystkowiak = cheater
Shaka Smart = cheater
Billy Donovan = cheater
Thad Matta = cheater
Bobby Hurley = cheater
Sean Miller = cheater

university doesnt want a cheater
dont hire one
Last edited by 97cats on Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azpatnca wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:59 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:54 pm I feel like "and then the UA president got involved" has potential as a euphemism for when the wheels came off of any particular process.

The Seahawks had the ball and Marshawn Lynch on the 1 yard line, and then the UA President got involved.
The 2020 US Presidential election was normal and noncontroversial, and then the UA president got involved.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Pastner is/was a cheater as well. A very poor one, but one nonetheless
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:12 pm Rick Pitino = cheater
Josh Pastner = cheater
Bruce Pearl = cheater
Bill Self = cheater
John Calipari = cheater
Mike Krzyzewski = cheater
Will Wade = cheater
Chris Beard = cheater
Larry Krystkowiak = cheater
Shaka Smart = cheater
Billy Donovan = cheater
Thad Matta = cheater
Bobby Hurley = cheater
Sean Miller = cheater

university doesnt want a cheater
dont hire one
Isn't it shorter to say:

(Winning college basketball coach) = cheater

No one does it clean these days...if they ever did.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:14 pm Isn't it shorter to say:

yes and more accurate - all top 50 college basketball programs cheat on some level.

every

single

one
ekat

Post by ekat »

TheCat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:08 pm
ekat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 pm I stole this from someone on 247 but..... Jason Gardner. I mean, Muss had a DUI too, and it’s been waaaaaay longer than sevun years.
DUI? Damon has multiple arrests for pot including one when first arrested was a felony (doubt it ended up as one). Granted pot is mostly legal and I never considered it a big deal but try telling that to a dad or mom that has a history of damning drug issues in their family. I don't know how that is not disqualifying as unfair has that might be.
It was a joke going back to when Jason Gardner’s uncle(?) cursed Wildcat nation for sevun years. (And he’s currently coaching high school, so right up Robbins’ alley.)

Personally I could care less about his DUI or Damon’s idiocy, especially when there’s headlines like this out in the world today:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... udent.html
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

How does Damon compare to Murphy?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

What criteria do you use to classify as cheating?
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Did he ever specify that those sevun years had to be consecutive?

Also, memory lane and former players as coaches and all that, what's Mustafa up to?!

Or better yet, someone check the rec center for Chris Rogers.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:15 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:14 pm Isn't it shorter to say:

yes and more accurate - all top 50 college basketball programs cheat on some level.

every

single

one
Except for Duke. If that ESPN docuseries taught me anything, it's only the brotherhood people come to Duke for.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:12 pm
azpatnca wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:59 pm

The 2020 US Presidential election was normal and noncontroversial, and then the UA president got involved.
Oh, and the maiden voyage of the Titanic was going perfectly, and then the UA president got involved.