Thoughts on who would be worth a try as new coach

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Thoughts on who would be worth a try as new coach

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:54 am I wish Luke had already been fired in Sacramento.

If he got a top notch recruiter I actually think he could learn to be a really good college coach.
He seems to be half decent as a player developer. I think he struggles more at ego control in the pros.

He did have that weird scandal and has never seemed to look at college, but I mean...compared to the other names out there right now, he looks a lot better.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

btfd16 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:18 am I was so heated someone defending Robbins I got too in the zone hahahaha
You never should have to apologize for attacking Robbins. Even when it's misdirected, it's the correct target in the end.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One thing we do know about Lloyd is that he is a recruiter who excels in Europe and knows a lot about the Euro style of play. Is he a good X/O guy? Some seems to think so.

Damon has a reputation as a below average recruiter going back to his UA assistant days. Looks like he has 5 spots open for 2021? https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/pacific

I don't care about Damon's marijuana arrests, but one was for 5 ounces, which is not personal use by law. Heck, I have had that much myself and them some, for personal use, but other fans may not think so. Opposing fans will certainly use that against the Cats. Look how much Mike Stoops was ripped for being a drunkard.

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

The speculation is just killing me so I'm taking an alternate universe approach to this - Thoughts on who would be worth a try as new coach from this board

I choose Chi - he has the most positive reps, would kill it at the presser, can relate and promote the Proud Tradition, hates Pac 12 commissioner and Pac 12 refs along with Duke/Kansas/Illinois/etc.., good leadership skills, also we can probably negotiate a pretty good salary with him right now.

Assistants - ALieberman, Choo and Spiff. Just because...

Special council/consigliere (new position) - 97Cats
Dave

Post by Dave »

Damon is one of my all time favorite players, but I am sorry I just can't get excited about him as our coach. Have you ever watched him in action coaching?
https://youtu.be/rbwV0rL1rhE
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:59 am The speculation is just killing me so I'm taking an alternate universe approach to this - Thoughts on who would be worth a try as new coach from this board

I choose Chi - he has the most positive reps, would kill it at the presser, can relate and promote the Proud Tradition, hates Pac 12 commissioner and Pac 12 refs along with Duke/Kansas/Illinois/etc.., good leadership skills, also we can probably negotiate a pretty good salary with him right now.

I appreciate the kudos, and I could use the job, but I definitely don't want to work for Robbins or Heeke. Those jackwagons can suck my dick.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:59 am The speculation is just killing me so I'm taking an alternate universe approach to this - Thoughts on who would be worth a try as new coach from this board

I'll just put this out there, I'm down to pay players, so I feel like I can recruit well in the modern world.

It does not offend me one bit that young black men get paid for being really talented. If I can get 400k a year, I'll pledge half that goes directly to the players. They deserve it, and I'd rather they get it from me than have it routed between shady handlers.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Calipari was also a shit coach in the NBA. It's a different beast entirely.

I have hoped for Luke hiring for years now as I've gotten Miller fatigue..for me it's my slam dunk hire and our best chance at a 20yr run of stability and elite status again just like Lute had. It might also be the one name that everyone in the UA ecosystem could rally behind as well..which given the state of things, seems to be as important now as ever.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:16 pm

I'll just put this out there, I'm down to pay players, so I feel like I can recruit well in the modern world.

It does not offend me one bit that young black men get paid for being really talented. If I can get 400k a year, I'll pledge half that goes directly to the players. They deserve it, and I'd rather they get it from me than have it routed between shady handlers.
It would be super interesting if we did this. Take the millions you'd pay a coach and hire a team of top tier lawyers. Then pay the players and sue the NCAA. Back a suit on behalf of the players, back another on behalf of the state, and of course the one on behalf of the university. Maybe campaign hard with former players to get star witnesses and financial contributions. Get Condi Rice on your side. Take it to the supreme court and bring it all crashing down.

I always thought it would be a GCU/Oral Roberts type of program to do this, but it would be fitting for Arizona to be the gunslingers.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azpatnca wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:21 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:16 pm

It would be super interesting if we did this. Take the millions you'd pay a coach and hire a team of top tier lawyers. Then pay the players and sue the NCAA. Back a suit on behalf of the players, back another on behalf of the state, and of course the one on behalf of the university. Maybe campaign hard with former players to get star witnesses and financial contributions. Get Condi Rice on your side. Take it to the supreme court and bring it all crashing down.

I always thought it would be a GCU/Oral Roberts type of program to do this, but it would be fitting for Arizona to be the gunslingers.
I'd love to see a major HC say it's not fair he gets 3.5 mil a year and players get 0, so he'll be taking 1 mil form his salary to distribute among players.

Let the NCAA explain why that isn't a reasonable, logical thing that helps student athletes.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Can we merge the two coaching threads and rename it "This Is Arizona"?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:43 pm Can we merge the two coaching threads and rename it "This Is Arizona"?
At a bare minimum , it should be "Unfortunately, this is Arizona."

The upside of two threads is one can be nuked from orbit after the fact.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Maybe he should send a bit over to Arizona for the help...
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

UW just hired a new assistant and so did Dana Altman, so it won't be whoever they hired.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

One thing we need to keep in mind is that Miller wasn’t removed so we could get a better coach.
He was removed so we could get a different coach.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Oh.....that's scary.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Meanwhile in Cincinnati:
That have interviewed or of interest? Because coaches of interest right now are Erik Martin, Wes Miller, Ryan Pedon, Dennis Gates, and Ronald Nored. Martin has interviewed twice. I think Pedon interviewed in person the other day and I think Miller was just in Cincinnati interviewing yesterday.
They seem to be leaning towards the other other Miller.

I hope he hires both Millers as assistants. This is coach miller. This is my assistant coach miller and this is my other assistant coach miller.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azpatnca wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:50 pm Meanwhile in Cincinnati:
That have interviewed or of interest? Because coaches of interest right now are Erik Martin, Wes Miller, Ryan Pedon, Dennis Gates, and Ronald Nored. Martin has interviewed twice. I think Pedon interviewed in person the other day and I think Miller was just in Cincinnati interviewing yesterday.
They seem to be leaning towards the other other Miller.

I hope he hires both Millers as assistants. This is coach miller. This is my assistant coach miller and this is my other assistant coach miller.
Cincinnati Bearcat Basketball: It's (all) Miller Time.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Postmaster wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:31 pm One thing we need to keep in mind is that Miller wasn’t removed so we could get a better coach.
He was removed so we could get a different coach.
Yep. And I don't think people realize that because so many haters were enamored with the idea of firing Miller. And now they're shocked to find out that it's not easy hiring a head coach -- even at Arizona.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

And so the downward spiral begins.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

You'd choose Chicat? Over Macho Grande?
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ProfessorFate wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:38 pm

You'd choose Chicat? Over Macho Grande?
Every day and twice on Sunday...
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:29 am I know Bobby Robbins;
So I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies. Some of you guys are very good at making it sound like you know what you are talking about.
But trust me.... You don't.
I think you just want to make yourself sound smart, when in reality you don't know what you are talking about.
This is how bad info gets passed around.
If you dont know about the topic....Dont make yourself sound like you do.
Cos some people believe anything they hear.

Blast from the past! I just spit out my drink. Well done.