Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EastCoastCat

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by EastCoastCat »

azpatnca wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:10 am Bill Walton says that offense wins championships. Given that I've heard good things about ACL's offense I'm optimistic. If there is anything limiting CSM's success on the court it was late game management, playing against a zone, and overall offensive philosophy.
First, I'd be very careful using Bill Walton to support any argument. ;)

I am also excited about what CTL's offense will look like with all of the current hype because I think we can all agree that's been the most inconsistent part of Arizona basketball over the Miller year's.

On the flip side, I loved Miller's passion and commitment around defense and rebounding and I have no idea what to expect from CTL's teams on those two key areas of the game. We just can't outscore teams in the Pac every night like you can in the WCC. That's a concern of mine.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:26 am I don't know (from the very little I've seen of him) that Lloyd is a guy who can get me to ride or die with him the way Sean Miller did.

There were just things about Sean Miller's personality, both in calm and exciting times, that made me love him. I'd run through a brick wall for the guy, and still would.

I just don't get the same vibe from Lloyd. Which is fine. Any investment I have will be in the on the court results and the individual players. And maybe that's the way it should be. Then when things turn to shit I won't be heartbroken because the guy I respected and idolized turns out to be a flawed human just like everyone else.
The video of Sean's presser interaction with that Ari guy is a perfect encapsulation of everything I loved about the guy and others hated. I mean, he is being a dick, no doubt...if you give a public clip like Ari ran, that's on you. But it was how cool and calm he was, almost mafia-like...never said anything rude or insulting, was charming to everyone else but his target, then flashed that anger in a single look when he said "next question." I know it was childish, but it was kinda badass. I loved his ability to almost take glee in saying the "right thing" while making it clear he meant something else, like after the totally justified time out vs UCLA. His more tender side showed in those segments he did breaking down players film with them (can't remember the name). I, like you, was all in with CSM, and though it was a huge shock to the system to become a "black hat" program, I started to kind of dig it. I remember joking we should make concert T's last season for Sean's "Fuck You" Revenge Tour 2019-20...I really thought we were going to blow the lid off that season, esp. after Illinois. I was down for it, and as long as he keeps his current "kill Arizona with kindness" demeanor and public response, which I think he will, I am going to be his fan wherever he goes. He was a burning cauldron, but he was also in control...he was no Stoops, and his few T's seemed calculated (when not ref scams). Ira Lee's walking back of CSM from ref danger at the half vs ASU (Ira became one of my favorite Cats of the Miller era) was a rare exception. Lots of words here to say I agree about Sean.

But I am OK with Lloyd's vibe. I think it might be what we need here right now. The negativity largely wasn't justified, but it was starting to wear on the program. I would have kept Sean 100/100 times, but with that ship sailed, Lloyd might be the perfect next captain.

As for all of our transfers (not in response to Chicat)...everyone is going to think about it. They just lost the guy they came to play for, and they can enter the portal with no penalty and be courted. What kid doesn't like grown men slobbering over themselves to tell them how great they are? But if they leave...IF...the portal works both ways, and that freebee year exists outside of Arizona, too. Lloyd has reach, has probably recruited a lot of good players at other schools who like that he has a HC job at a program that is nobodies step down, and the wave of positive press will not hurt. Players have not really shown much concern about NCAA sanctions, even when we knew something was coming before the self ban. With the change in coaching, self ban, other programs penalties with similar situations, and amount of time since the violation, additional postseason bans seem unlikely (while, of course, possible). I don't think it will be as big an issue in recruiting as some think...especially for the crowd that wants 4 star players with more of a chance to stay instead of the top guys. Those guys were still coming.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

UofAlum05 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:19 am
TheCat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:31 am
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:41 pm Look out for Oregon to snag some of our guys. Tampering already occurring. No question
Has been for awhile. Lets see what happens.
Doesn't help that Altman and Miller are besties apparently.
When I said "has been for awhile" I was not referring to Oregon. Don't know anything about them.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I can't blame any of our guys for leaving. This isn't what they signed up for.

So I also won't blame Coach Lloyd if his first roster looks nothing like our 2020-21 group. Just as we were patient with Miller, we'll need to give our new guy time to get his recruiting footing under him and build momentum.

But...as most would agree, AZ remains a very desirable program for today's preps and international players, almost regardless of who our coach is. The UofA is just a phenomenal place to be a student athlete, especially a basketball player. Lloyd needs to lean into the AZ brand and legacy, just like Sean did. If he can leverage our program's resources, fan support and culture in the right ways, he is going to do well.

I didn't want to see Sean go, but I'm also eager to see AZ re-emerge as a national contender every year. So I'm 1000% behind Coach Lloyd and can't wait to see what he can do.

Bear down!
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:36 am
1stNGrant Frys wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:01 am
Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:26 am I don't know (from the very little I've seen of him) that Lloyd is a guy who can get me to ride or die with him the way Sean Miller did.

There were just things about Sean Miller's personality, both in calm and exciting times, that made me love him. I'd run through a brick wall for the guy, and still would.

I just don't get the same vibe from Lloyd. Which is fine. Any investment I have will be in the on the court results and the individual players. And maybe that's the way it should be. Then when things turn to shit I won't be heartbroken because the guy I respected and idolized turns out to be a flawed human just like everyone else.
Are you a 14 y/o girl talking about a bad boy crush you'll never get over?
Hey everyone, look who’s back! Been about a year, right? Gosh, don’t be such a stranger.
1stNGrant Frys wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:01 am you've already put lloyd in your expectations box with 0 games played
I have?? You’ll have to point out what I said that leads you to believe I have any expectations whatsoever.
Ohhh it doesn't matter, c'mere you!
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I am clearly in the minority, but I would think that most of these players would be pretty excited to be playing for a less micro managing and more open flowing offensive coach. Obviously relationships are key, but I am hopeful that Lloyd can earn their trust and keep a solid roster together.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Robbins step by step.

1) scuttle post season
2) fire Miller
3) alienate alums
4) disband roster so we never know what could have been
5) get 5-10 players from the transfer portal and go from there

Works 65% of the time every time
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:32 am I am clearly in the minority, but I would think that most of these players would be pretty excited to be playing for a less micro managing and more open flowing offensive coach.
I'm not sure how they would know this. I mean, Heeke and Robbins could have told them as much if they had bothered to ever consider the student athletes they are supposed to be supporting, but we know they didn't since the players found out about Miller's firing and Lloyd's hiring on Twitter.

And as far as game tape or reputation as a head coach, obviously Lloyd has none. So we may believe that Lloyd will be a less micro-managing head coach who will allow a more open flow on the offensive end, there's certainly no evidence of this and it's not like anyone in charge in the UA AD bothered to inform them of such.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Can we all just get real for a second, stop all the bullshit and address the real issue this new coach brings?

Is no one brave enough to bring it up?

Fine... I’ll step up...

Tommy????? Not Tom.... not Thomas..... but Tommy?

Do we have a 5 year old coaching our team?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

This is a Tommy

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:51 am
gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:32 am I am clearly in the minority, but I would think that most of these players would be pretty excited to be playing for a less micro managing and more open flowing offensive coach.
I'm not sure how they would know this. I mean, Heeke and Robbins could have told them as much if they had bothered to ever consider the student athletes they are supposed to be supporting, but we know they didn't since the players found out about Miller's firing and Lloyd's hiring on Twitter.

And as far as game tape or reputation as a head coach, obviously Lloyd has none. So we may believe that Lloyd will be a less micro-managing head coach who will allow a more open flow on the offensive end, there's certainly no evidence of this and it's not like anyone in charge in the UA AD bothered to inform them of such.

I wonder of Akinjo would be willing to come back in such an offense? Especially if Lloyd keeps JeT.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:55 am Can we all just get real for a second, stop all the bullshit and address the real issue this new coach brings?

Fine... I’ll step up...

When one of my best friends Billy turned 40 I told him I was going to start calling him Bill. He told me not to because his dad was Bill. I responded, "Yeah, but at some point your dad went from being Billy to Bill." He had to admit that was a good point.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:31 pm What are we going to call him? CTL doesn't sound near as good as CSM.
TLC?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Today is Jackie Robinson day :lol:
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:55 am Can we all just get real for a second, stop all the bullshit and address the real issue this new coach brings?

Fine... I’ll step up...

I mean one good thing about adult Tommy's is they tend to lead to National Championship coaches replacing them (Tommy Tuberville - Chizik and Tommy Bowden - Dabo). One bad thing about Tommy's is they tend to be pivotal in insurrections.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Fine... I’ll step up...

I think it is a flow thing when you have a one syllable first name as a last name. Like Tommy John. Or Jimmy Dean. Or Billy Batts...well, Batts isn't a 1st name, but I am reading a book on the making of GoodFellas so...
Last edited by EVCat on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:02 am
azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:31 pm What are we going to call him? CTL doesn't sound near as good as CSM.
TLC?
I'm down as long as he recruits No Scrubs.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:00 am

Fine... I’ll step up...

When one of my best friends Billy turned 40 I told him I was going to start calling him Bill. He told me not to because his dad was Bill. I responded, "Yeah, but at some point your dad went from being Billy to Bill." He had to admit that was a good point.
My college buddy is Billy on his birth certificate.

I just call him dickhead now.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:32 am I am clearly in the minority, but I would think that most of these players would be pretty excited to be playing for a less micro managing and more open flowing offensive coach. Obviously relationships are key, but I am hopeful that Lloyd can earn their trust and keep a solid roster together.
I never understood this criticism of Miller. Two major actions he used were dribble handoffs and the high pick and roll. Both are very much designed to put the ball in the hands of the guard to make a play.

I might have moved away from post play more than SM did, but the flip side is that keeps your bigs involved and not drifting.

To the point about Gonzaga being very similar to Miller's Arizona teams, Gonzaga had 12 to's per game to our 11.9 per game last year.

They had an average of 5.4 more possessions per game, so a bit higher pace. I would think the fact we had an average of 2.5 more fouls in our games influenced that a bit (thank you, Pac refs).

But bluntly, the WCC is also much easier to push pace in. Mostly, I just have never bought this idea Miller's offense was particularly constricted. It was designed to put guards in a position to make plays. When we had bigs who could shoot it like Lauri and Ayton, you saw a nice flow.
ironj01

Post by ironj01 »

Fine... I’ll step up...

:D :D If he can get us two back to back titles like Billy Donovan, you can call me Shirley. :D :D
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:03 am

Fine... I’ll step up...

I mean one good thing about adult Tommy's is they tend to lead to National Championship coaches replacing them (Tommy Tuberville - Chizik and Tommy Bowden - Dabo). One bad thing about Tommy's is they tend to be pivotal in insurrections.
They also lead to terrible Rocky movies and then expose people to HIV in the boxing ring.

Part of me just wonders if Tommy can hear me, though.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is Tommy bringing the 3-series?

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’m not referring to this guy as “The Duke”.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:19 am Part of me just wonders if Tommy can hear me, though.

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Or Mr Roboto
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If he makes the tourney next year, I'll call him whatever the f he wants.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

That deaf, dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean B-Ball
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:35 am Or Mr Roboto
You're Fooling Yourself. (Dennis DeYoung sang Mr. Roboto)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azgreg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:11 am Interesting piece here.
https://madhoopsthebook.com/2021/04/14/ ... na-gamble/
I have to go watch this
I think back to the 2016 season, the year HBO imbedded its cameras into Few’s program with “Gonzaga: The March to Madness.” It was an unsteady, fits-and-starts season that had the look of the one that was going to end the program’s then-17-year run of NCAA-tournament appearances. The Zags had just lost a second straight game to Saint Mary’s and were about to take their final regular-season road trip.

The footage showed Lloyd losing it at practice, pouring out his emotion at a perceived lack of focus and an absence of urgency. It was the kind of thing head coaches do all the time. This was an assistant doing it
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Tommy Gunner
I said what I said and I mean it.
ironj01

Post by ironj01 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:23 am This really in-depth article from The Athletic paints a pretty good picture of Lloyd's rise and influence, especially in regards to personnel:

https://theathletic.com/2459932/2021/03 ... n-spokane/

The long and the short of it:

* Few put a young Lloyd in charge of European recruiting, which led to Lloyd watching a lot of European ball and advocating for a more Euro-style, ball screen oriented offense (rather than the flex offense they'd run previously). Euro-ball is especially applicable rather than NBA ball because it has similar defensive rules (no defensive three second).

* Lloyd recruited assistant coaches that were similarly curious and creative about basketball (Gentry and Jakus).

* Those two assistant coaches coincided with the five year run of postseason success at Gonzaga - in contrast to getting bounced in the first weekend 11 of the previous 13 years.

* Lloyd later helped those coaches land bigger jobs at Illinois and Baylor (respectively), where they brought their offensive mindset to those teams and evolved their offenses (those teams would all earn 1 seeds this past tournament).

“The style changed over the last decade, and a lot of that has to do with Tommy,” Morrison continues. “And I’m not just saying that to make him sound good in an article. They run pro-style, European-style stuff—space, movement, efficiency—and that’s Tommy Lloyd, the influence.”

BTW it's been reported that Lloyd wants to bring in a new young coach to the staff at Arizona: Rem Bakamus, former Gonzaga walk-on, current Baylor GA, and son of Lloyd's first mentor Bill Bakamus.

Great read, thanks for sharing this. Make me feel better about the hire...
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Hate to post from TOS but this has me all kinds of fired up.

Dave Heeke and Robbins not on the meeting because they presented Adia Barnes' contract to the ABOR

Lloyd told the alumni that the only place he would have left Gonzaga for was Arizona and wasn't sure he would get the opportunity. Won't try to make it another Gonzaga. Thinks Arizona has more potential.

Wants to get rid of the eras of Arizona basketball and make it one big family.

Told the guys the Gonzaga ship has sailed and going back should be of absolutely no concern

Knows he wasn't everybody's first choice and knows why former players had support. Will work to get that support and put a ton of effort into that.

International recruiting for him as taken on a life of its own. It was out of necessity. Had to think outside the box in order to get good players to Gonzaga. Not worried about recruiting. He has recruited well domestically. Will have a few international guys, but not going to be the whole roster

Style of play, big into teaching guys how to play, not run plays. Action and tempo more important than sets. Will push tempo. Ball never dominated by one guy. Ton of freedom, but responsibility to make good decisions. If makes a bad play and looks at bench, might as well take themselves out. Efficiency was key. Wants to be nasty, physical on defense.

Will never complain about the NCAA stuff. Wants to get a better feel for where it is though. For instance, if tournament next year likely, could look at grad transfers. If not, go get younger guys and develop them.

Practices will be more about reacting and playing five on five as opposed to drilling the heck out of them

Mentions they might push the Gonzaga game back. Loves playing big non-conference games. At Gonzaga front loaded scheduled because of strength of conference. Knows Arizona brand needs to be prominent. Needs to play some showcase games and will pursue them.

Lloyd asked about how former players could help. Thinks of a moment when they went to the title game and a ton of ex-players showed up and they honored them. Lloyd is crying thinking about how much it meant to him and wants to match that at Arizona
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:44 am
azgreg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:11 am Interesting piece here.
https://madhoopsthebook.com/2021/04/14/ ... na-gamble/
I have to go watch this
I think back to the 2016 season, the year HBO imbedded its cameras into Few’s program with “Gonzaga: The March to Madness.” It was an unsteady, fits-and-starts season that had the look of the one that was going to end the program’s then-17-year run of NCAA-tournament appearances. The Zags had just lost a second straight game to Saint Mary’s and were about to take their final regular-season road trip.

The footage showed Lloyd losing it at practice, pouring out his emotion at a perceived lack of focus and an absence of urgency. It was the kind of thing head coaches do all the time. This was an assistant doing it
That's a really well written article and I am scouring for that footage right now...
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:03 pm
Those are great qualities of an assistant coach Mr. Katz. Loyalty as you mentioned is what got Arizona in the FBI mess and breaking down video should not be the job of a head coach. I know Katz is trying to be supportive of Lloyd and I appreciate that but he has no clue and that is why he was fired from his old job.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:44 am
Postmaster wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:35 am Or Mr Roboto
You're Fooling Yourself. (Dennis DeYoung sang Mr. Roboto)
Well I’m an angry old man
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

TheCat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:06 am
Those are great qualities of an assistant coach Mr. Katz. Loyalty as you mentioned is what got Arizona in the FBI mess and breaking down video should not be the job of a head coach. I know Katz is trying to be supportive of Lloyd and I appreciate that but he has no clue and that is why he was fired from his old job.
Lmao. What a pathetic post. Let me know what Andy says when he gets back to you.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We will see soon enough. Hope he hires a staff that understands what he wants and hopefully the Jet fits that criteria.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:10 am
Lmao. What a pathetic post. Let me know what Andy says when he gets back to you.
Chill, man. He makes a fair point that Katz's praise is largely readable as that Lloyd is a good assistant, which most people think he is.

Whether being a good assistant transfers to being a good HC is another matter.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

NickyBCats wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:59 am

Style of play, big into teaching guys how to play, not run plays. Action and tempo more important than sets. Will push tempo. Ball never dominated by one guy. Ton of freedom, but responsibility to make good decisions. If makes a bad play and looks at bench, might as well take themselves out. Efficiency was key. Wants to be nasty, physical on defense.

Practices will be more about reacting and playing five on five as opposed to drilling the heck out of them

Knows Arizona brand needs to be prominent. Needs to play some showcase games and will pursue them.
Love love love these main points, especially the bolded.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:13 am
Chill, man. He makes a fair point that Katz's praise is largely readable as that Lloyd is a good assistant, which most people think he is.

So let’s criticize Katz for not writing a tweet praising the dude for a job he hasn’t done? Gtfo with that.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Hope Tommy isn't a one-hit wonder with the phone number 8675309.

Lloyd is saying the right things, as expected. But we'll don't know how good a head coach he'll be for several months now. And the view looks a lot different one seat over. Only the fans know the assistant coaches' names, but everyone knows who the head guy is. Especially Head Coach Men's Basketball at a school like Arizona. Lute and Miller had more name and face recognition in town than Mayors. Let's hope Tommy can live up to the pressure.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:41 pm Look out for Oregon to snag some of our guys. Tampering already occurring. No question
It's also not really tampering. Players jeopardize their financial aid when they enter the portal, so it makes sense on their end to not enter too fast.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:50 am
It's also not really tampering. Players jeopardize their financial aid when they enter the portal, so it makes sense on their end to not enter too fast.
The tampering is in reference to other coaches reaching out to players currently on a roster, which is shady as fuck but doubt there is any rule against it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:02 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:29 pm So what the fuck does Mark Few do at Gonzaga?
This is like the inverse of the 5 phases of grief. It’s the 5 phases of hiring a coach. After the coach has been hired, we unearth all the great things that have ever been said about him to reassure ourselves that it was a good hire. Not sure which phase that is, but it happens every time. Remember Brian Snow coming over (invited over) from the Xavier boards to instruct us on the intricacies of the pack-line and how wonderful it was?
I remember most of this board being convinced Kevin Sumlin was about to run roughshod over the P12S now that he was outside the SECW meat grinder.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or Debbie Downer, but the media doesn't write negative character pieces on CBB assistants. AD's don't release negative statements on assistants. Assistants get praised as unsung heroes or not mentioned at all. There's no middle ground.

Maybe I'm wrong, but find me a media piece on a CBB assistant being a mediocre X's and O's guy or a lackluster recruiter.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:53 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:50 am
The tampering is in reference to other coaches reaching out to players currently on a roster, which is shady as fuck but doubt there is any rule against it.
I just mean it's hard because it puts the players in a bad spot of having to jeopardize their scholarship to openly speak to other coaches. That's why it happens on the down low, not necessarily evil intent.

I'd wager anything 100% of our players considered a transfer after Miller left, even if some considered it and dismissed it. That's just how it is when a coach is fired.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:42 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:13 am

So let’s criticize Katz for not writing a tweet praising the dude for a job he hasn’t done? Gtfo with that.
Please tell us how praising his breaking down film reflects on his new job. I don't care if he was good at his old job I care about those qualities he is bringing forward to Arizona.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:32 am I am clearly in the minority, but I would think that most of these players would be pretty excited to be playing for a less micro managing and more open flowing offensive coach. Obviously relationships are key, but I am hopeful that Lloyd can earn their trust and keep a solid roster together.
I feel the same way.

When did Miller really take the reins off any of our players, except for DWIll and TJ, and just let them play and create.

End of game sets under Miller have been pretty maddening over the best several years. Don’t get me started on his “puckering up like a snare drum during a key tourney game” affect and it’s relation to how we would play, especially in the first 10 minutes.

Sad he’s gone, he got the bum rush from lessor men, but here’s where we are at and I’m cautiously optimistic about what Lloyd can bring to the table.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

All coaches break down film. Arizona posted videos on Twitter of Miller breaking down film with players a couple of years back.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

NickyBCats wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:59 am Hate to post from TOS but this has me all kinds of fired up.

Dave Heeke and Robbins not on the meeting because they presented Adia Barnes' contract to the ABOR

Lloyd told the alumni that the only place he would have left Gonzaga for was Arizona and wasn't sure he would get the opportunity. Won't try to make it another Gonzaga. Thinks Arizona has more potential.

Told the guys the Gonzaga ship has sailed and going back should be of absolutely no concern

Knows he wasn't everybody's first choice and knows why former players had support. Will work to get that support and put a ton of effort into that.

International recruiting for him as taken on a life of its own. It was out of necessity. Had to think outside the box in order to get good players to Gonzaga. Not worried about recruiting. He has recruited well domestically. Will have a few international guys, but not going to be the whole roster

Will never complain about the NCAA stuff. Wants to get a better feel for where it is though. For instance, if tournament next year likely, could look at grad transfers. If not, go get younger guys and develop them.

Mentions they might push the Gonzaga game back. Loves playing big non-conference games. At Gonzaga front loaded scheduled because of strength of conference. Knows Arizona brand needs to be prominent. Needs to play some showcase games and will pursue them.

Lloyd asked about how former players could help. Thinks of a moment when they went to the title game and a ton of ex-players showed up and they honored them. Lloyd is crying thinking about how much it meant to him and wants to match that at Arizona
Good stuff
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Is RJ is referring to PGU “leaking” the terms of that contract?