The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Post by YoDeFoe »

Longhorned wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:14 pm Most confusing thread ever. I'm looking at the same posts you all are and I literally have no idea what some of you are talking about. Now people don't know Kerr was a starter? And that he's good? Who here is stupid about that? One of the few "accomplishments" we all share is having watched last year's games, and having heard out Miller on his high expectations for Kerr in year 2.
Miller called him cut from the same cloth as TJ McConnell but with a much better jumpshot and we're appalled that he might start. I don't know guys, I really like this kid and I'm rooting for him to take over the starting PG spot this season. We talk about developing players.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

YoDeFoe wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:24 pm
Longhorned wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:14 pm Most confusing thread ever. I'm looking at the same posts you all are and I literally have no idea what some of you are talking about. Now people don't know Kerr was a starter? And that he's good? Who here is stupid about that? One of the few "accomplishments" we all share is having watched last year's games, and having heard out Miller on his high expectations for Kerr in year 2.
Miller called him cut from the same cloth as TJ McConnell but with a much better jumpshot and we're appalled that he might start. I don't know guys, I really like this kid and I'm rooting for him to take over the starting PG spot this season. We talk about developing players.
I don't understand the confusion regarding what some UA fans think Kerr is. I understand the vast majority are shell shocked and don't know what a PG looks like anymore, but fucking hell.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I think Kerr is good. I think Kerr is a starter. Just not at PG. If he is great, just didn't see enough of him full time in that role to make a leap of faith he will excel in that role.

That was my point.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Kerr earned his merits overseas as a PG. Due to having to play with Akinjo (super ball dominant) last year, he was forced to play at the 2. The kid is a natural 1 who thrives in P&R and is a good (not great), streaky shooter. He has great vision and can make passes with the best of them. I want him at the 1. From what I have heard, Lloyd’s offense is basically a wet dream for Kerr. Can’t wait to see it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I love Kerr and I just always thought he was sharpied in to start at the 2.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:38 am I love Kerr and I just always thought he was sharpied in to start at the 2.
Me too.

And when Akinjo left a lot of folks were saying how important it was to get TyTy/PG replacement. Now we are saying we will be fine with Kerr at the 1. Feels like a bit of revisionist history going on in this thread. ;)

Again, I really like Kerr and he will be an important piece and should be a starter. I just thought with his 3pt abilities he was better suited as the starting 2.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looking at Kriisa's Euro stats he certainly has better PG numbers regarding assists and 2 PT shots than his NCAA stats. https://www.proballers.com/basketball/p ... err-kriisa

But don't recall him beating anyone off the dribble and being able to drive to the basket which Akinjo exceled at.

However, Miller's comments on the Kerr/TJ comparisons are telling:

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/A ... 160757566/

“He really makes a lot of different plays to help his team win,” Miller said. “Diving on the floor for a loose ball, you don’t have to yell out from the bench. He dives, he doesn’t need to be reminded. It’s who he is as a player. He sets screens, he dives on the floor, as he gets older and more experienced he will become a better defensive player on and off the ball.

“Offensively he makes his teammates better. He is a willing passer, has great vision. One difference between Kerr and T.J. is Kerr is an overall better shooter than T.J. and T.J. is probably a better overall defensive player. They are cut from the same mold.”
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Olsondogg wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:42 pm
JCatano wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:24 pm Kerr is going to enter the transfer portal again if he reads this thread.
Why? Because a bunch of idiot posters?
Well you see, Kerr wasn't going to read this thread, and then the UofA president got involved.....
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I thought getting a star PG would greatly improve the season...because that greatly improves every teams chances. Now that Tyty is off the table. I’m glad to have Kerr start at the 1. Also, if we get a guy who is good enough to make Kerr come off the bench...even better!

I think what was lost in all of this was how good our plan C is..which is starting Kerr and Pelle at the 1&2.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:46 am
Alieberman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:38 am I love Kerr and I just always thought he was sharpied in to start at the 2.
Me too.

And when Akinjo left a lot of folks were saying how important it was to get TyTy/PG replacement. Now we are saying we will be fine with Kerr at the 1. Feels like a bit of revisionist history going on in this thread. ;)

Again, I really like Kerr and he will be an important piece and should be a starter. I just thought with his 3pt abilities he was better suited as the starting 2.
I liked the idea of Kerr and Akinjo both being capable point guards, really for multiple reasons.

First, if you have two PG's who are also solid shooters, you can easily have one off the ball and retain flexibility for either to initiate. Second, if one goes down, you still have a capable PG who's used to starting.

I'm ok with Larsson, although his TO numbers were way too high and his shooting is all that stands out for me when I looks at his stats. I'm not as high on him as some here, but I haven't seen him play. He isn't a PG, and Kerr is the only capable PG we have. I think he's solid in that role, but we lost a more dynamic lineup putting him and Akinjo together and unless we add someone, we're paper thin.

I also don't know why Kerr would be happy accepting a transfer starting over him when he was going to be a starter at the point he was in the portal.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Okay, thanks all. Pelle really was the player we plugged into the gap (but not the floor position) we had hope to fill with TyTy. Now, Kerr gets to move to his natural position at the 1.

As departure from Miller's approach, Floyd may not have been enamored with Ajinko-Kerr, but apparently would have kept Kerr off the ball with TyTy as a pure point guard. Pelle committed in light of the open opportunity at the 2.

So, the backcourt has taken shape.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Did Baker and T. Brown transfered because Akinjo and Kerr moved ahead of them?

Does anyone know how much point Kerr played this past season?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Dave wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:29 am Did Baker and T. Brown transfered because Akinjo and Kerr moved ahead of them?

Baker wasn't going to start next season, so that was his reasoning. T. Brown also wanted some more PT as well and remember at the time both of these guys transferred we had 3 guard commitments (one a combo), so that impacted things.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:31 am
Dave wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:29 am Did Baker and T. Brown transfered because Akinjo and Kerr moved ahead of them?

Baker wasn't going to start next season, so that was his reasoning. T. Brown also wanted some more PT as well and remember at the time both of these guys transferred we had 3 guard commitments (one a combo), so that impacted things.
Can we go back in the time machine and get T Brown back?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:31 am

When they transferred, Akinjo, Mathurin and Tubelis were all likely returning as well. Baker and Brown are probably looking to be more of the man on a team in their final year(s) and at Arizona, they'd have been 4th options at absolute best, and in direct competition for one starting spot that Kerr looked like the favorite for.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

CTL finalizing home and home with Tennessee to start this year. Return game in Tucson in 2022
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That could be fun.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the Gonzaga game has been canceled indefinitely. https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... -p-Hc7trMs

Reminds me of when CSM canceled the UNC series.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:06 pm CTL finalizing home and home with Tennessee to start this year. Return game in Tucson in 2022
That is awesome news, hopefully this is a trend and not just replacing Gonzaga. I miss the marquee match ups of the Lute days that Sean was clearly not as keen on.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:19 pm
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:06 pm CTL finalizing home and home with Tennessee to start this year. Return game in Tucson in 2022
That is awesome news, hopefully this is a trend and not just replacing Gonzaga. I miss the marquee match ups of the Lute days that Sean was clearly not as keen on.
And it’s only a 4 hour drive for me. Big plus.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

It will be a trend. Lloyd in his presser mentioned liking playing these marquee nationally televised type games in nonconference. Gets good media attention and is good for the program. Said he loves playing in these big nonconference games early that are on national television channels like CBS in the day time so the east coast can watch. I'd assume we try to play one or two of these types of games a year.
I said what I said and I mean it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:35 pm
I would for sure be there. Longer drive for me (around 8-9 hours) but I already chatted up my buddy who lives in Nashville and we'd for sure go.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:43 pm It will be a trend. Lloyd in his presser mentioned liking playing these marquee nationally televised type games in nonconference. Gets good media attention and is good for the program. Said he loves playing in these big nonconference games early that are on national television channels like CBS in the day time so the east coast can watch. I'd assume we try to play one or two of these types of games a year.
I'm looking to get back to the days where we play 3 or 4 of these games a year. Thats what we would see in the Lute days, not counting preseason tournaments.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:49 pm
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:43 pm It will be a trend. Lloyd in his presser mentioned liking playing these marquee nationally televised type games in nonconference. Gets good media attention and is good for the program. Said he loves playing in these big nonconference games early that are on national television channels like CBS in the day time so the east coast can watch. I'd assume we try to play one or two of these types of games a year.
I'm looking to get back to the days where we play 3 or 4 of these games a year. Thats what we would see in the Lute days, not counting preseason tournaments.
We're going to Illinois too. That tournament in vegas will also be playing two of Wichita State, UNLV, and Michigan. I know you said not counting tournaments, it's still at least one marquee matchup
I said what I said and I mean it.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

My freshman year (00-01) we played a gauntlet of a schedule where nearly every game was marquee. We played in the Maui tournament followed by @Purdue, Gonzaga, @Uconn, @Illinois (Chicago), LSU, Butler, Mississippi St and Texas. If we could play just half that OOC slate each year, I would be ecstatic.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I didn't think it was awful under Miller (I'm a noted Miller fanboy here, of course). Lute just played some unusually stacked schedules for a bit.

Excluding the weirdo Covid schedule last year, in 19-20, we played Baylor, Illinois and Gonzaga in non-tourney OOC games. In 18-19, it was Connecticut, Alabama and Baylor in non-tourney games. In 17-18, it was Alabama, UConn and aTm.

In fact, 3 big name opponents plus a tourney was what I saw as Miller's scheduling MO in OOC. It's challenging nowadays because so many of the big time games are reserved for neutral site OOC showcases.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:09 pm
I didn't think it was awful under Miller (I'm a noted Miller fanboy here, of course). Lute just played some unusually stacked schedules for a bit.

Excluding the weirdo Covid schedule last year, in 19-20, we played Baylor, Illinois and Gonzaga in non-tourney OOC games. In 18-19, it was Connecticut, Alabama and Baylor in non-tourney games. In 17-18, it was Alabama, UConn and aTm.

In fact, 3 big name opponents plus a tourney was what I saw as Miller's scheduling MO in OOC. It's challenging nowadays because so many of the big time games are reserved for neutral site OOC showcases.
I think the thing with Miller's scheduling was that there was too many cupcakes sprinkled in there.

Scheduling sub 200-300+ rpi opponents benefits no one.

Even if you can only schedule 3 good ooc non tournament games, and maybe 1 or 2 more power 5 teams, there's plenty of good mid majors that would love to play Arizona (potential good quality W for tournament).
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:35 pm
Shit, when we lived in West TN, we were 5 hours from Knoxville.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:21 pm
I think the thing with Miller's scheduling was that there was too many cupcakes sprinkled in there.
I agree. All it does it builds up player confidence, then all comes crashing down when they play real teams. Look how much Nico digressed after playing directional and CSU schools.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:21 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:09 pm I didn't think it was awful under Miller (I'm a noted Miller fanboy here, of course). Lute just played some unusually stacked schedules for a bit.

Scheduling sub 200-300+ rpi opponents benefits no one.

Even if you can only schedule 3 good ooc non tournament games, and maybe 1 or 2 more power 5 teams, there's plenty of good mid majors that would love to play Arizona (potential good quality W for tournament).
This is entirely anecdotal, but I feel like since Lute's era, it's become stratified where midmajors can only hurt you.

Subbing BPI for RPI really sort of is indicative of that. RPI calculated SOS off opponents records only. BPI began calculating beyond the record to the calculated strength of the opponent record.

So, you no longer get the OOC benefit from a midmajor winning a lot. A MWC or WCC team will get worse in conference as their schedule drops quality.

You become their shot at upping their own tourney profile, but you don't get a concurrent benefit from them winning a lot.

Plus, the Q1, Q2 system disincentivizes it. The majority of those games, Lute or Miller, have to be at home for financial reasons. For a home game to be Q1, the opponent has to be top 30. Q2, top 75.

Because Q1 and Q2 are the only two categories that move the needle, it discourages home games vs midmajors. They're very unlikely to be Q1, and maybe 50/50 to be Q2. Check out KenPom and there are a ton of midmajors in the 50-100 range.

This puts you between a rock and a hard place at Arizona. A true road game, Q1 extends to #75. But you don't want true road games vs midmajors due to revenue differential without added profile.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Arizona had a great OCC, then the Arizona President got involved.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Yeah like why can't we play like Wofford, or Winthrop, or Steven f. Austin, or Houston, or Cinci, I mean there's a lot of good teams in like the southern conference or the valley or the American or the Mt. West, or the A10.. Why can't we get more good teams from these better mid major conferences instead of some bottom dwellers from the Swac, NEC, or the WAC.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There’s no benefit to a Cincinnati or Houston playing us. We aren’t going to give them a big payday and they don’t really need one. We aren’t going to give them a home-&-home unless there’s some recruiting advantage..., and if there is a recruiting advantage they don’t want to give it to us.

It’s the Houston’s and Cincinnati’s of the world that are taking those really good mid-major games we wish we could get. A Dayton would much rather take a bus trip to Cincy then fly all the way to Tucson and lose for no money.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I think Cal Poly received $85,000 for coming to McKale for a pay to play beat down. Nothing for the UA, but a huge paycheck for Poly.

Same with the rest of the directional and CSU schools. Helps out the AD a lot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:20 pm I think Cal Poly received $85,000 for coming to McKale for a pay to play beat down. Nothing for the UA, but a huge paycheck for Poly.

Same with the rest of the directional and CSU schools. Helps out the AD a lot.
Arizona gets a home game with no return trip. Any half decent program wants a home and home.

So you lose the home game revenue if you don't do it selectively. Since 2015, we've scheduled a home and home with Baylor, Illinois, Gonzaga, Alabama, UConn, Michigan, etc., but only 3-4 a year. A big part is maximizing revenue by having more home games than away.

The midmajors, we don't want to give home and homes to, and like I posted above, that dissolves the help to our tourney profile.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Gotta get CTL to convince the Ath. Dept. That winning games in March and April makes up for money lost to ticket sales, and we need to go into march ready to play top competition by playing some tough games away from home.

Not saying it's a valid argument or that I know anything.
I just would like to see better games.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

We want to see better games early in the schedule against top competition. We just have to do it as a win-win for the program and not stupidly. Scheduling mid-majors does not fall into that category.

We also need to field damn good teams to compete in those 50-50 matchups. Does better for our metrics along with the exposure necessary to fuel the pipeline.
Dave

Post by Dave »

We were almost forced to play a weak schedule because we were fielding a brand new team every year.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

So….. what’s next?

Next year’s roster isn’t shaping up anything like I hoped.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Frybry02 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:32 pm So….. what’s next?

Next we adjust our expectations.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Well there's always womens basketball.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I really don’t get comments like this. Mathurin, Terry, Tubelis and Kerr are back. Did that not shape up the way you wanted?

I loved Miller and what he did, especially in the early years. Tommy is in a much better starting point.

Arizona fans are fucking hilarious.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:55 pm

I really don’t get comments like this. Mathurin, Terry, Tubelis and Kerr are back. Did that not shape up the way you wanted?

I loved Miller and what he did, especially in the early years. Tommy is in a much better starting point.

Arizona fans are fucking hilarious.
Thing is, that's basically it. I think most of us wanted those guys, Akinjo, Brown and Koloko retained, then two added transfers to play immediately to fortify the guard and stretch 4.

Pelle is a decent add, but Ballo is a poor man's Brown and we have very little guard depth...or really any depth not at C, since our lack of a stretch 4 likely makes Terry and Mathurin log minutes at the 4.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The Athletic put out their early 2021/2022 Top 35 and we aren’t on it.

UCLA 4
Oregon 29
USC 34
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:39 am The Athletic put out their early 2021/2022 Top 35 and we aren’t on it.

UCLA 4
Oregon 29
USC 34
This certainly validates all the negative Tommy Lloyd opinions.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Remember we were a way too early preseason top 15 team with Mannion, Green, Nnaji incoming.
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Tue May 18, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:41 am
Chicat wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:39 am The Athletic put out their early 2021/2022 Top 35 and we aren’t on it.

UCLA 4
Oregon 29
USC 34
I don’t think it means much of anything beyond the fact that our team is still a work in progress at this point.

I will however note that Seth Davis putting this together now indicates to me that the rest of these teams are either set for next year or close to being so. So we are late to the game, which makes sense with the timeline of Lloyd’s hiring.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:46 am

UCLA 4
Oregon 29
USC 34
I don’t think it means much of anything beyond the fact that our team is still a work in progress at this point.

I will however note that Seth Davis putting this together now indicates to me that the rest of these teams are either set for next year or close to being so. So we are late to the game, which makes sense with the timeline of Lloyd’s hiring.
ESPN put out a bracketology as well. Seth Davis and ESPN putting these out just means there's a shortage in articles to put out, so they need content for web hits in the mean time. This time last year Azuolas Tubelis wasn't committed to Arizona yet, nor was he on the media's radar as an impact guy. I was just busting your balls with my last post btw.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UCLA 4
Oregon 29
USC 34
I wouldn't go that far, but it does suck to see us go from generally top 20 to outside the top 35.

Lloyd's ultimate story has many more chapters than one preseason ranking.