Can Lloyd Recruit?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Can Lloyd Recruit?

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:37 pm Chi, honestly...when was the last time AZ was expected to "fuck shit up this year"? I'd say the TJ McConnell years for sure, but beyond that, we usually had stellar recruiting classes, measured expectations and above average results. Was there ever a Miller AZ team that began the season ranked in the top 5? Maybe once in 10 years, I'm guessing.
We were #4 in the final AP poll in 2016-17. We were #3 in the preseason in 2017-18, #2 in 14-15 and #6 in 13-14.

My common denominator would be...before the FBI investigation, we were top 5 in final AP rankings in 3 of the previous 4 years (#4 in 16-17, #5 in 14-15 and #4 in 13-14).
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

He needs to show he can deliver in year 1. Middle of the PAC is not going to cut it for me
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:58 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:37 pm Chi, honestly...when was the last time AZ was expected to "fuck shit up this year"? I'd say the TJ McConnell years for sure, but beyond that, we usually had stellar recruiting classes, measured expectations and above average results. Was there ever a Miller AZ team that began the season ranked in the top 5? Maybe once in 10 years, I'm guessing.
We were #4 in the final AP poll in 2016-17. We were #3 in the preseason in 2017-18, #2 in 14-15 and #6 in 13-14.

My common denominator would be...before the FBI investigation, we were top 5 in final AP rankings in 3 of the previous 4 years (#4 in 16-17, #5 in 14-15 and #4 in 13-14).
Thanks, Spiff. So in 12 seasons at AZ, Miller began the season in the top 5 two times. I focused on the preseason ranking because Chi mentioned off-season hype and preseason expectations. I feel like he's describing something that very rarely happened in the Miller era, which is why it seems a little strange to set the bar for Lloyd at a point Miller only reached a couple times.

I can't tell if this expectation is a legacy of the Lute Olson years or if we're doing a little revisionist history with Miller.

For the record -- again -- I expect Pac titles and deep tourney runs. Lloyd has 3 to 4 years to reach that benchmark.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:17 pm He needs to show he can deliver in year 1. Middle of the PAC is not going to cut it for me
Define "deliver."
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:26 pm

Thanks, Spiff. So in 12 seasons at AZ, Miller began the season in the top 5 two times. I focused on the preseason ranking because Chi mentioned off-season hype and preseason expectations. I feel like he's describing something that very rarely happened in the Miller era, which is why it seems a little strange to set the bar for Lloyd at a point Miller only reached a couple times.

I can't tell if this expectation is a legacy of the Lute Olson years or if we're doing a little revisionist history with Miller.

For the record -- again -- I expect Pac titles and deep tourney runs. Lloyd has 3 to 4 years to reach that benchmark.
We were top 16 in the preseason 7 years in a row under Miller. To me, all those seasons are fair for offseason hype and expectations. Top 16 is no small matter.

The other common denominator is those were the 7 seasons pre-FBI.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Only 5 teams are in the top-5 which was your arbitrary metric. Don’t get it twisted.

How many teams are preseason top-5 year in and year out? Uh huh…
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

So far, the answer is no?

I don't think the UA fans can wait 3-4 years with the basketball program. It's not like the shit stain football program where I have extremely low expectations the last couple of decades.

Probably Tubelis and Mathurin's last season coming up.

At least Arizona has the best walk on program in the nation.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:17 pm He needs to show he can deliver in year 1. Middle of the PAC is not going to cut it for me
Define "deliver."
Top 4 in the PAC. Two wins in PACTourney, Big dance invite 6 seed or better and 2 wins in the tourney. Not unreasonable IMO
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

If you claim you are replacing the coach for on court results, the new coach better have better results.
If you replace the coach because you have a personality conflict and you don’t have better results, then you need to go.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:30 pm If you claim you are replacing the coach for on court results, the new coach better have better results.
If you replace the coach because you have a personality conflict and you don’t have better results, then you need to go.
Just so much truth in this post.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:23 pm
Define "deliver."
Top 4 in the PAC. Two wins in PACTourney, Big dance invite 6 seed or better and 2 wins in the tourney. Not unreasonable IMO
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

2012: #12
2013: #6
2014: #2
2015: #12
2016: #10
2017: #3

We had quite the pre-season ranking run going there. And yes, I do miss being the "FUUUUUUCK Arizona is going to kill us" team.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Remember when the conference narrative in the preseason was “Can anyone challenge Arizona for first place?”

I do. Wasn’t that long ago. Tommy Boy can get us back there but he’s gonna have to put in some fucking WORK.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

YoDeFoe wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:08 am
gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:30 pm
UofAlum05 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:13 pm Is there any confidence what so ever that we will actually land Obanor?
I don't even have confidence that we will try to land him, and if we do I have very little confidence in succeeding. Prove me wrong! Please!
We're one of a dozen or more schools trying to recruit him and we have no prior connection to him. He's very tight with his family who live in Houston. If I were guessing, Arkansas is the obvious choice as Musselman recruited Obanor out of high school, there's an open roster spot, there's a wide open hole at PF/C, and it's a relatively local school. Already a preseason top-25, Obanor's commitment would make the Hogs a potential Final Four favorite. Alternatively, Texas A&M and Texas Tech both come to mind as potential landing spots.

We should not expect to be favorites here and him committing anywhere else isn't indicative of a lack of effort or ability from our recruiting. Y'all don't need to go out of your way to hate on our new coach.
And it's down to Arkansas and Texas Tech - no surprises here. no shame in missing on this one.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:15 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:10 am
Dave wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:40 am Hey Spiff,
Did you ever run metrics on Akinjo? We all know he scored a decent amount of points, but how efficient was he?

His TSP and EFG %'s are not bad, but an area for improvement. Neither sucks, but to be a big time guy, both should improve by about 5-10%.
52% TS and 46% eFG%

Looking at the last three seasons for a point of comparison, he had a similar effective FG% and True Shooting % as Brandon Williams, Justin Coleman, Nico Mannion, Josh Green, and Dylan Smith.

We wouldn't call any of those players particularly efficient scorers.

The trouble for James is that though he scored a lot of efficient threes (40% of his attempts were threes and he shot about 40%) - he loved to take inefficient two point jumpers (40% of his attempts, 31% scoring) and he just could not score at the rim (20% of his attempts, 43% scoring). You can make up for some of that by getting to the foul line often, but Akinjo had only a 39% free-throw rate... not bad, but "good" would be 5-10% higher.

As I'll always love to repeat: the S-tier in scoring efficiency among guards over the last ten years was Allonzo Trier (66% TS and 60% eFG). Doubt anyone matches those highs anytime soon, but Spiff is right that to be considered an efficient scorer generally: you'd hope to see a 5-10% improvement on the numbers Akinjo (and those others) put up.

Nice resource here as well as Sports Reference as Spiff noted: https://hoop-math.com/Arizona2021.php
Good posts. Im pretty much on board with you both. He couldnt finish at the rim, was basically the engine of offense (good or bad), shot the ball very well from three in catch and shoot situations, but never got nearly enough of those looks and frequently relied up contested pull up Js.

Im not saying we are better without him, but for what lloyd wants to do, Akinjo needed to change his game (which actually would have made him a more efficient player, IMO).
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TucsonClip wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:13 amIm not saying we are better without him, but for what lloyd wants to do, Akinjo needed to change his game (which actually would have made him a more efficient player, IMO).
But would have made him less marketable as far as his professional prospects. So I don’t blame him for leaving.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:17 am
TucsonClip wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:13 amIm not saying we are better without him, but for what lloyd wants to do, Akinjo needed to change his game (which actually would have made him a more efficient player, IMO).
But would have made him less marketable as far as his professional prospects. So I don’t blame him for leaving.
Agreed, although I dont think his game translates very well as is. Im talking Europe, not the NBA. you dont see too many ball dominant PGs making money in Europe.

-Shane Battier
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

How many scholarships does Arkansas have? I think if they add Obanor they are at 15 scholarship players I believe, meanwhile our coach is good with 8 players who can actually contribute. That is my biggest gripe with Tommy to date, I don't want to hear the other coaches have relationships nonsense. This is a unprecedented year for transfers and you don't need long term relationships to land them.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:13 am Good posts. Im pretty much on board with you both. He couldnt finish at the rim, was basically the engine of offense (good or bad), shot the ball very well from three in catch and shoot situations, but never got nearly enough of those looks and frequently relied up contested pull up Js.

Im not saying we are better without him, but for what lloyd wants to do, Akinjo needed to change his game (which actually would have made him a more efficient player, IMO).
Yeah...my Debbie Downer take is we traded an 18.2 PER, 31% ast % and 13% to% for Kier's 11.1 PER, 13% ast% and 21% to%.

Akinjo wasn't perfect, but our 1 to 1 replacement is a shell of what he was. He may not have been Lloyd's style, but to some extent, I'd rather try to marry styles of talented guys than get a player who's never been close to as good as Akinjo to level up very substantially.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:24 am How many scholarships does Arkansas have? I think if they add Obanor they are at 15 scholarship players I believe, meanwhile our coach is good with 8 players who can actually contribute. That is my biggest gripe with Tommy to date, I don't want to hear the other coaches have relationships nonsense. This is a unprecedented year for transfers and you don't need long term relationships to land them.
They've got one more available.

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/arkansas
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:30 am
TucsonClip wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:13 am Good posts. Im pretty much on board with you both. He couldnt finish at the rim, was basically the engine of offense (good or bad), shot the ball very well from three in catch and shoot situations, but never got nearly enough of those looks and frequently relied up contested pull up Js.

Yeah...my Debbie Downer take is we traded an 18.2 PER, 31% ast % and 13% to% for Kier's 11.1 PER, 13% ast% and 21% to%.

Akinjo wasn't perfect, but our 1 to 1 replacement is a shell of what he was. He may not have been Lloyd's style, but to some extent, I'd rather try to marry styles of talented guys than get a player who's never been close to as good as Akinjo to level up very substantially.
I thought, even with Akinjo, we needed another guy who could go get a bucket off the dribble. Losing him, we really need Benn to develop and hope Kerr/Kier/Pelle can provide that extra scoring needed. I had us capped at a Sweet 16 run unless Zu and Benn came back looking like all-conference locks. I still think we can get there, but the margin for error is much finer.

I didnt dislike Akinjo, but never thought his style mixed with our roster composition was a winning formula. We needed someone to push him off ball more often, to allow him to finish plays.

-Shane Battier
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TucsonClip wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:22 am
Chicat wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:17 am
Agreed, although I dont think his game translates very well as is. Im talking Europe, not the NBA. you dont see too many ball dominant PGs making money in Europe.
I was talking Europe too, although he was probably thinking G-League.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:45 am

I thought, even with Akinjo, we needed another guy who could go get a bucket off the dribble. Losing him, we really need Benn to develop and hope Kerr/Kier/Pelle can provide that extra scoring needed. I had us capped at a Sweet 16 run unless Zu and Benn came back looking like all-conference locks. I still think we can get there, but the margin for error is much finer.

I didnt dislike Akinjo, but never thought his style mixed with our roster composition was a winning formula. We needed someone to push him off ball more often, to allow him to finish plays.
I look at it like this. Momo Jones had a 12.9 PER, 18.9% ast% and 16.7% to% as a sophomore. For me, Momo presented the same stylistic profile as Akinjo in a lot of ways as a ball dominant pg whose efficiency didn't always justify his usage.

Momo was enough to get to the EE with, albeit with DWill as the engine, and he gradually got more efficient over his college career. Akinjo's generally trended the same, and you hope he could see his best as a senior.

Benn really is the only penetration threat left unless Kier can help. Lloyd's style...I tend to think it may well not look very different from Miller off the bat. It's hard to change to a more spread style without the personnel. Right now, we don't really have the drive part of a drive and kick oriented system, so it's hard to benefit too much from spacing.

Thus, we may wind up relying heavily on Tubelis in the post and ball screen action to create opportunities.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:17 am
TucsonClip wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:45 am

I look at it like this. Momo Jones had a 12.9 PER, 18.9% ast% and 16.7% to% as a sophomore. For me, Momo presented the same stylistic profile as Akinjo in a lot of ways as a ball dominant pg whose efficiency didn't always justify his usage.

Momo was enough to get to the EE with, albeit with DWill as the engine, and he gradually got more efficient over his college career. Akinjo's generally trended the same, and you hope he could see his best as a senior.

Benn really is the only penetration threat left unless Kier can help. Lloyd's style...I tend to think it may well not look very different from Miller off the bat. It's hard to change to a more spread style without the personnel. Right now, we don't really have the drive part of a drive and kick oriented system, so it's hard to benefit too much from spacing.

Thus, we may wind up relying heavily on Tubelis in the post and ball screen action to create opportunities.
Pelle Larsson took 45% of his attempts at the rim and finished at a 60% clip - and 2/3rds of those were unassisted. Similar numbers to Josh Green. I'm just going to keep beating this drum y'all...

I would expect a ton of drive and kick from Kriisa as well - he's got an excellent first step and showed the ability to penetrate and find teammates (especially Tubelis) in his limited time on the court last season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:54 am Pelle Larsson took 45% of his attempts at the rim and finished at a 60% clip - and 2/3rds of those were unassisted. Similar numbers to Josh Green. I'm just going to keep beating this drum y'all...

I would expect a ton of drive and kick from Kriisa as well - he's got an excellent first step and showed the ability to penetrate and find teammates (especially Tubelis) in his limited time on the court last season.
Yeah...but Pelle also had a 29.1 to%, which is nuts.

I mean, I get your point, but for me Larsson has such a high need to address that to% before he becomes a reliable part of a good team. I'm not saying he can't do it, just that that to% is incompatible with great value.

I do think Kerr will be much better across the board than last year and show off more dimensions. He just got dealt a rough hand with the suspension, then having to immediately be pushed into Baker's role.

Benn is the only one I really feel confident will be an efficient penetrator at this point. Larsson needs to cut down on to's. Kerr needs to show that ability, likely off ball screens. Terry needs his J to fall to draw the D.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:58 am Remember when the conference narrative in the preseason was “Can anyone challenge Arizona for first place?”

I do. Wasn’t that long ago. Tommy Boy can get us back there but he’s gonna have to put in some fucking WORK.
The most recent time that question could seriously be asked was 2017-18, so not that long ago.

Who was more dominant in the Pac over the last decade, Miller or Altman? Feels like there were definitely some years in there when Altman did better than he was expected to.

As I look at the Pac today, I see a much more competitive conference than in recent years. Do you expect Lloyd to pass UCLA and Oregon in the league standings within his first two seasons?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Spiff, are those Kerr’s numbers as a cat only?
Have you looked at his stats where he played PG as a Euro?
I thought he played more as primary ball handler in Europe than he did at AZ.

Fingers crossed
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:24 pmDo you expect Lloyd to pass UCLA and Oregon in the league standings within his first two seasons?
Hell yes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:33 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:24 pmDo you expect Lloyd to pass UCLA and Oregon in the league standings within his first two seasons?
Hell yes.
Wow. That's an expectation I can definitely get behind.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:30 pm Spiff, are those Kerr’s numbers as a cat only?

Fingers crossed
I don't think I posted Kerr's #'s.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... isa-1.html

They aren't great as a ball handler or distributor, but I give him a total pass in that he had as difficult a freshman year as you can have with the suspension going immediately into a big role, especially in a new country, new team and with a new system.

I'm pretty hopeful the to% drops to 12-13% and the assists go more towards 25%.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:24 pm
Chicat wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:58 am Remember when the conference narrative in the preseason was “Can anyone challenge Arizona for first place?”

The most recent time that question could seriously be asked was 2017-18, so not that long ago.

Who was more dominant in the Pac over the last decade, Miller or Altman? Feels like there were definitely some years in there when Altman did better than he was expected to.

As I look at the Pac today, I see a much more competitive conference than in recent years. Do you expect Lloyd to pass UCLA and Oregon in the league standings within his first two seasons?
Through 17-18, Miller was ahead of Altman. Oregon was better in 15-16. We were better in 10-11, 13-14, 14-15 and 17-18. Every other year was pretty even. Altman had the one Final Four, but it was a year where teams tied in the Pac, split head to head and were both 2 seeds.

So I'd take pre-FBI Miller over Altman, and no disrespect to Altman or Oregon, I think it's decisive. Post-FBI, Oregon had good years as we dealt with the fallout, but even then, 18-19 was 10-8 for them in the Pac and we were 8-10. They clearly were better all three years, but it wasn't like they had a dominant year where we sucked.

I would have expected Miller to get back to winning Pac titles, and would have expected contending for one next year. I set the same bar for Lloyd.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:30 pm Spiff, are those Kerr’s numbers as a cat only?

Fingers crossed
I know I am much higher on Kerr than most. I think he'll be just fine as the primary PG. Dude is good.

-Shane Battier
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:20 pm Yeah...but Pelle also had a 29.1 to%, which is nuts.

I mean, I get your point, but for me Larsson has such a high need to address that to% before he becomes a reliable part of a good team. I'm not saying he can't do it, just that that to% is incompatible with great value.

I do think Kerr will be much better across the board than last year and show off more dimensions. He just got dealt a rough hand with the suspension, then having to immediately be pushed into Baker's role.

Benn is the only one I really feel confident will be an efficient penetrator at this point. Larsson needs to cut down on to's. Kerr needs to show that ability, likely off ball screens. Terry needs his J to fall to draw the D.
Atrocious turnover %, for sure. He had a 1:1 A:TO rate though, so let's not let the TO% stat mislead us. His A:TO was the same as Mathurin and he dished more than twice as many assists at Mathurin.

I mentioned this before but the TO% stat can be misleading at the individual level (it works fine for a team). What it's telling us here isn't that Larsson turns the ball over too much - 1:1 is fine for a scoring guard. Benn, Rawle, Gabe... all 1:1 A:TO guys. But they had far lower TO%... why? Because the stat weighs turnovers per shot taken. All that tells us is that this is a guy who, if he can score efficiently, should be looking for his own shot more.

Larsson: 62% TS% and 56% eFG on 47 / 46 / 88 splits - yeah, he can score efficiently. He just needs to take more than 5 attempts a game.

I think moving a freshman international SG into the starting line-up and then shifting him to starting PG midway through the season was the issue for Larsson - Utah needed someone to handle the ball after their starting PG went down and Larsson was the best option they had. That's a lot of hurdles that get cleared with his move to Arizona: he's now got experience in the college game, another year of play under his belt, and he can focus on his natural scoring instincts rather than switching between wearing both facilitator and scorer hats for his team.

I think he cuts that TO% in half this season simply by shooting more.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:15 pm

Fingers crossed
I know I am much higher on Kerr than most. I think he'll be just fine as the primary PG. Dude is good.
I don't think you're alone.

When we were talking Akinjo and you said he could have been better if he played more off the ball, one reason I'm bummed he left was because I thought Kerr would be ready to allow Akinjo to spend a decent amount of time off the ball in 21-22.

Kerr was our best perimeter defender and I expect his efficiency will be up as he has a normal offseason and season. He can shoot it, and we'll start to see the other parts of his game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:22 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:20 pm Yeah...but Pelle also had a 29.1 to%, which is nuts.

Atrocious turnover %, for sure. He had a 1:1 A:TO rate though, so let's not let the TO% stat mislead us. His A:TO was the same as Mathurin and he dished more than twice as many assists at Mathurin.

I mentioned this before but the TO% stat can be misleading at the individual level (it works fine for a team). What it's telling us here isn't that Larsson turns the ball over too much - 1:1 is fine for a scoring guard. Benn, Rawle, Gabe... all 1:1 A:TO guys. But they had far lower TO%... why? Because the stat weighs turnovers per shot taken. All that tells us is that this is a guy who, if he can score efficiently, should be looking for his own shot more.

Larsson: 62% TS% and 56% eFG on 47 / 46 / 88 splits - yeah, he can score efficiently. He just needs to take more than 5 attempts a game.

I think moving a freshman international SG into the starting line-up and then shifting him to starting PG midway through the season was the issue for Larsson - Utah needed someone to handle the ball after their starting PG went down and Larsson was the best option they had. That's a lot of hurdles that get cleared with his move to Arizona: he's now got experience in the college game, another year of play under his belt, and he can focus on his natural scoring instincts rather than switching between wearing both facilitator and scorer hats for his team.

I think he cuts that TO% in half this season simply by shooting more.
I disagree a bit on Pelle, respectfully, of course.

His overall usage rate was only 18.4, so not particularly high. His to% was 29, his assist% was 19, which is fairly high for a wing as well.

I see that more as a Jameis Winston of basketball line. He made a lot of things happen when he touched the ball, just too a high a percentage were for the other team. It was like how Jameis's 2019, where he'd throw for 5 TD's, only 2 of those were to the opposing DB's.

Not that means Pelle can't break that habit and improve substantially. That's what you hope a young guy can and does do.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:44 pm
Hell yes.
It’s more like a demand.

Still on board?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:38 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:44 pm
Hell yes.
It’s more like a demand.

Still on board?
100%
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:53 pm

Fingers crossed

They aren't great as a ball handler or distributor, but I give him a total pass in that he had as difficult a freshman year as you can have with the suspension going immediately into a big role, especially in a new country, new team and with a new system.

I misread Kier for Kerr when you talked about trading Akinjo’s stats.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:54 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:53 pm

Fingers crossed

I misread Kier for Kerr when you talked about trading Akinjo’s stats.
Kerr actually had worse stats than Kier, but has way more upside, IMO. Kier took the roster spot, but I expect Kerr will take Akinjo's actual role.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Has anyone checked out the rec center for talent?

Basketball talent.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

I will lay off Lloyd's recruiting, or lack there of, if he had the players come out in the old School Cats uniforms for the Red/Blue game.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Recruiting is going to be very easy for Tommy Lloyd with this type of play.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:55 pm Recruiting is going to be very easy for Tommy Lloyd with this type of play.
Too bad no one can see us play.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:55 pm Recruiting is going to be very easy for Tommy Lloyd with this type of play.
Style of play is very attractive. If we can keep winning and keep sharing the ball like we do I would hope recruits find that appealing.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Lloyd’s re-recruiting of Miller’s players was masterful.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If Lloyd has figured out how to monetize pace and funnel the resulting cash to AAU coaches without attracting NCAA attention, not only is he a good coach, he deserves a Nobel Prize.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Kaluma rocking a 12 PER, 87 ORtg playing 23min/g with 46 / 18 / 54 shooting splits and twice as many turnovers as assists.

Maybe part of being a good recruiter is knowing when to fold em :shock:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:06 pm Kaluma rocking a 12 PER, 87 ORtg playing 23min/g with 46 / 18 / 54 shooting splits and twice as many turnovers as assists.

Eh, I never thought Kaluma was OAD. As a multiyear guy, I liked his energy and D more than offense. I remember posting a video of his game and saying some of these moves ain't working vs P5 comp.

His rebounding is ok and his D and shotblocking have been good. I mean, Kim Aiken took his role and I'm thinking I'd rather have Kaluma.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:34 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:06 pm Kaluma rocking a 12 PER, 87 ORtg playing 23min/g with 46 / 18 / 54 shooting splits and twice as many turnovers as assists.

Eh, I never thought Kaluma was OAD. As a multiyear guy, I liked his energy and D more than offense. I remember posting a video of his game and saying some of these moves ain't working vs P5 comp.

His rebounding is ok and his D and shotblocking have been good. I mean, Kim Aiken took his role and I'm thinking I'd rather have Kaluma.
Well at this point sure :lol:

But I remember being excited about Kaluma's ability to do some playmaking from the wing / high post and he just does not have that in his game right now (or he went to the wrong coach and program to get that out of him).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:19 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:34 pm

Well at this point sure :lol:

But I remember being excited about Kaluma's ability to do some playmaking from the wing / high post and he just does not have that in his game right now (or he went to the wrong coach and program to get that out of him).
My dominant memory of that video is he relied a lot on catch and face from 15-17. He'd face, no move, then one or two power dribles to a layup.

I remember thinking in college at 6'7, that ability to catch and go isn't going to be there, or it will be a guy large enough to swat him. To me, I always thought he was a stretch 4 who had a decent faceup J and needed to mature the rest before he wasn't opportunistic.

He was a motor guy who had a fantastic defensive body. It's not like we suck on D, but he could have helped a lot in games like Tenn where we needed someone more mobile than Ballo.