Bennedict Mathurin

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Re: Bennedict Mathurin

Post by 97cats »

33mins -13pts - 4-7fg -1-4(3)pt - 4-6ft - 5rb - 3a - 0st - 1blk - 2to

my eyes may be going crazy, but looked like Kerr did not go to Mathurin several times last night.....a few times like he almost made it a point not to go to him, even when Ben had advantage gained in the open floor.

like i said, my eyes may be going crazy....
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I can’t say I noticed that.

I did notice though that Rado made it a point to deny him the ball on the perimeter. I didn’t see too many passing lanes that were open to Benn, while passing to the interior was pretty effortless.

Rado picked their poison and got picked apart.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I didn't notice it either.

I did notice he was not very open around the perimeter and drove the ball more than usual but all and all didn't take too many shots.

His line was more of a Terry line as he contributed in other ways. Had a nice block, couple of sweet assists, made some key rebounds in the second half, and played good D.

But that shows how deep we are. Had 4 players in double figures and won going away.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:16 pm I can’t say I noticed that.

I did notice though that Rado made it a point to deny him the ball on the perimeter. I didn’t see too many passing lanes that were open to Benn, while passing to the interior was pretty effortless.

Rado picked their poison and got picked apart.
yes agree they overplayed him all game - he only went backdoor one time and scored on it early in the second half, i was wanting more of that, Terry missed him one time.

in the second half i noticed frustration a few times with Mathurin when he didnt get the ball on the run out for sure - i will agree my eyes are crazy tho as well as Kerr probably was not doing it on purpose whatsoever and its a personal issue. he had issues early with attitude stuff once in a while, im gonna pay attention to that a little closer over the stretch the next few games.

and agree on the last part too - four guys in double figures shooting a combined 19-34 (55.8%) from the floor, including Mathurin....its a different poison but a lethal poison non-the-less
Last edited by 97cats on Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

To your point 97, I hope Benn isn’t frustrated if he did feel like he wasn’t getting seen by our playmakers. I know it can be real easy for kids who are highly regarded to start thinking “I have to get mine” to guard against their draft prospects falling. But I think (or at least I hope) Benn knows that he’s already shown out and that team success will bring just as much attention his way as filling up the points column on the stat sheet.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:14 pm To your point 97, I hope Benn isn’t frustrated if he did feel like he wasn’t getting seen by our playmakers. I know it can be real easy for kids who are highly regarded to start thinking “I have to get mine” to guard against their draft prospects falling. But I think (or at least I hope) Benn knows that he’s already shown out and that team success will bring just as much attention his way as filling up the points column on the stat sheet.
yes and part of what makes Benn so attractive this year was he had something to prove coming in under the radar and his focus was right for the moment, he didnt sneak up on anyone but he had an edge... he has to a certain extent proved that a little bit, at least in his own mind. i just didnt like some of his body language last night when he didnt get the ball, or the call went against him and then the effort that followed shortly thereafter.

im nitpicking for sure and probably being way too sensitive but i wanted to put it out there and see if i was alone, and it seems i was.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:14 pm To your point 97, I hope Benn isn’t frustrated if he did feel like he wasn’t getting seen by our playmakers. I know it can be real easy for kids who are highly regarded to start thinking “I have to get mine” to guard against their draft prospects falling. But I think (or at least I hope) Benn knows that he’s already shown out and that team success will bring just as much attention his way as filling up the points column on the stat sheet.
Speaking of draft prospects here is a consensus of all the major draft sites and it has Benn at 5.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/aggregate- ... 03474.html
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:20 pm
yes and part of what makes Benn so attractive this year was he had something to prove coming in under the radar and his focus was right for the moment, he didnt sneak up on anyone but he had an edge... he has to a certain extent proved that a little bit, at least in his own mind. i just didnt like some of his body language last night when he didnt get the ball, or the call went against him and then the effort that followed shortly thereafter.

im nitpicking for sure and probably being way too sensitive but i wanted to put it out there and see if i was alone, and it seems i was.
I remember saying earlier Benn was a scorer and a finisher more than a creator or distributor.

As a sidelight, I always feel like that breeds a different mindset for better or worse. You have to be a little selfish and aggressive to be a great scorer, IMO. If you're too nice, you don't push things the way you have to to really be a dominant scorer.

I didn't see the game last night, but I toss this out in the sense there's a thin line between the good kind of selfish and aggressive and it becoming pouting or being lax when things don't go your way.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Especially if you know there are a dozen NBA scouts in the stands. There is a natural tendency to try and showcase. He did have a few forced drives too.

It must be tough at that age to acclimate to that type of attention so I hope CTL is keeping him grounded.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

32mins - 11pts - 4-11fg - 0-4(3pt) - 3-3ft - 4rb - 3a - 0blk - 0st - 1to

not a strong outing for Mathurin - lets see if he responds here on the NorCal road trip
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Kinda wonder if Kriisa’s absence impacted him at all. Those two have had a nice chemistry this year.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

There were a lot of not quite there lobs that mathurin didn't quite get. I'm sure that Kerr not fishing them out had something to do with that.

Mathurin is incredible, but just not quite Aaron Gordon. Which isn't taking anything away from Benn, some of those lobs, only air Gordon could bring down.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:51 pm There were a lot of not quite there lobs that mathurin didn't quite get. I'm sure that Kerr not fishing them out had something to do with that.

Mathurin is incredible, but just not quite Aaron Gordon. Which isn't taking anything away from Benn, some of those lobs, only air Gordon could bring down.
Ultimately, Benn’s AZ legacy will be made in March. He’s already distinguished himself as a great player, but he only gets a place in the pantheon if he gets us to a FF.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That is just stupid
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

It's wrong and oh so right at the same time. This kind of snub might wake him up and get him focused for the second half of the season. We need him clicking on all cylinders.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Are they only counting conference games?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Comments are pretty universal.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Apparently Tyger Campbell has pictures of the Pac commissioner's wife.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Mathurin is going to average 30/12/8 this week.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:14 pm Mathurin is going to average 30/12/8 this week.
If he does, I'm loving our chances to go 2-0 this week!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:14 pm Mathurin is going to average 30/12/8 this week.
i am of the belief he had his hiccup and will respond this weekend on the road as well - those numbers above would all but cement his lead as POY in the Pac12 and on all the first team All-American lists.

the next five games (his road numbers are ridiculous) are a chance for Mathurin to vault himself into that category, and if Arizona wins those games (due to attrition elsewhere) he will be likely playing on the number 1 team in the nation and the NPOY talk will begin.

its there in front of him - Cal and Stanford are both ripe for him to play well against
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:14 pm
i am of the belief he had his hiccup and will respond this weekend on the road as well - those numbers above would all but cement his lead as POY in the Pac12 and on all the first team All-American lists.

the next five games (his road numbers are ridiculous) are a chance for Mathurin to vault himself into that category, and if Arizona wins those games (due to attrition elsewhere) he will be likely playing on the number 1 team in the nation and the NPOY talk will begin.

its there in front of him - Cal and Stanford are both ripe for him to play well against
I was with you up until the part about playing for the #1 team in the country. I don’t see Auburn or Gonzaga losing any time soon.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Here's what Gonzaga has left:

San Francisco
Loyola Marymount
Portland
@ Pepperdine
@ BYU
Pacific
Saint Mary's
Santa Clara
@ San Francisco
@ Saint Mary's
Conference tournament.

Postponed game:

@ San Diego
@ Loyola Marymount

I don't think they're losing any of those.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Auburn has not been dominating teams, but they only play Kentucky at home, they don't play LSU again, play Tenn in Knoxville, but Tenn might suck now, and they already played at Alabama and play them later at home.

So, they don't have many tough games left.

Looking at both of those teams, I'd say each has about 3 opportunities to lose.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:14 pm
I was just making a joke about Mathurin’s reaction to getting snubbed on that Pac-12 Network tweet, but if he does actually go off this week…. you heard it here first!

:lol:
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He is the best player in the conference hands down. Dude doesn’t need motivation either. He plays the best in big moments which says a ton.

He also couldn’t have been nicer when he met my boys at McKale last month. They really goes for the whole team as well. Just a nice group of guys.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:48 am Auburn has not been dominating teams, but they only play Kentucky at home, they don't play LSU again, play Tenn in Knoxville, but Tenn might suck now, and they already played at Alabama and play them later at home.

So, they don't have many tough games left.

Looking at both of those teams, I'd say each has about 3 opportunities to lose.
I don’t think Tenn sucks, they’re just damn good at home with their huge arena and jumped on us early. Undefeated at home and all their losses have been to ranked teams basically. Our loss in Knoxville def won’t end up being a “bad” loss.

But yes I agree re auburn, they were lucky to win this past weekend against a subpar ole miss. Like any team in a major conference there could be a hiccup or two on the road besides the major matchups. Gonzaga won’t lose more than one more game probably.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:50 am He is the best player in the conference hands down. Dude doesn’t need motivation either. He plays the best in big moments which says a ton.

He also couldn’t have been nicer when he met my boys at McKale last month. They really goes for the whole team as well. Just a nice group of guys.
Agreed. There's no player in the Pac who can single-handedly impact the game the way Benn does. His stats don't tell the whole story.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

31mins - 13pts - 5-10fg - 3-6(3pt) - 1rb - 2a - 1st - 1blk - 2to

third middling game in a row - seemed his energy and body language changed when things didnt go his way in the second half, imnsho.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

The fouls called against him seem to affect his play.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:57 am The fouls called against him seem to affect his play.
i agree and other stuff like not getting calls too
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:15 am 31mins - 13pts - 5-10fg - 3-6(3pt) - 1rb - 2a - 1st - 1blk - 2to

third middling game in a row - seemed his energy and body language changed when things didnt go his way in the second half, imnsho.
Started out like a damn lion, but yeah, lost a little flow as the game wore on.

I'm not the least worried about Benn. I trust that he's going to bring it when the game's on the line.
prh

Post by prh »

Seemed like he had the fire when the game was actually in doubt, once we blew it open it was others' time to shine. idk. I just hope that's it because that's great for others growth and would imply dominant Benn will be there for the times he's needed
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I think he's bought in to the unselfish team concept. When he's on the bench he cheers just as hard when others do well which means he's not too darn concerned with his numbers.

If he's in the game and the game is already decided I've noticed he makes an extra effort to get a few more buckets. But I have no problem with feeding the Lion King...
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Think he is affected by calls and it has taken him out of the last couple of games. He also has been pressing a little. He will get it back.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

He'll play like a mere mortal as long as I pick him.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I have determined that whether I pick him or not, he will have either a good game or a mortal man's game.
-Norlander.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

28mins - 14pts - 3-9fg - 3-4(3pt) - 5-6ft - 8rb - 4a - 0st - 0blk - 2to

did not watch todays game
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Paywall, but for those that have a subscription, Seth Davis on Benn:

https://theathletic.com/3089515/2022/01 ... rd-for-me/
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:50 pm Think he is affected by calls and it has taken him out of the last couple of games. He also has been pressing a little. He will get it back.
UCLA will be a game a lot is expected from him.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

The player to watch. He can take the outright Wooden Award lead (if he hasn't already) with a game for the ages.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone remember Trier's first game back after we held him out over that banned substance controversy? It was @UCLA. He only got 12 points, but he didn't start. Made some huge plays down the stretch. Simmons was good in that game too. Feel like there's some good recent wins at Pauley for Benn to watch, if he has any down time this afternoon.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

34mins - 16pts - 5-22fg - 3-6(3pt) - 3-6ft - 10rb - 2a - 2st - 0blk - 2to

give him credit for going after it - he knew he had to keep shooting and he didnt relent but he was exhausted mentally and physically and did not have it last night.

i will say after seeing him live, his open floor ball handling needs to drastically improve for him to translate properly to the next level.

over his last five games Mathurin is shooting 35.5% from the floor on fifty-nine shots averaging 13.4ppg - his worst five game stretch of the season most likely playing himself out of First Team All-American consideration.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:47 am 34mins - 16pts - 5-22fg - 3-6(3pt) - 3-6ft - 10rb - 2a - 2st - 0blk - 2to

give him credit for going after it - he knew he had to keep shooting and he didnt relent but he was exhausted mentally and physically and did not have it last night.

i will say after seeing him live, his open floor ball handling needs to drastically improve for him to translate properly to the next level.

over his last five games Mathurin is shooting 35.5% from the floor on fifty-nine shots averaging 13.4ppg - his worst five game stretch of the season most likely playing himself out of First Team All-American consideration.
It's a long season, but it's concerning to see him appearing to struggle as defenses prioritize him.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

My concern is that Terry is not a scorer but a defensive presence and jack of all trades. That allows teams to hedge toward Benn. Is Pella starting a counterbalance?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:12 pm My concern is that Terry is not a scorer but a defensive presence and jack of all trades. That allows teams to hedge toward Benn. Is Pella starting a counterbalance?
Terry really isn't a scorer. If I was looking at players to take the heat off Benn, I'd look at Tubelis first. Tubelis is easily our second most dynamic offensive player, and when he's hobbled, we lose a lot not being able to run offense through him.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Spiff, im feelin a big game today back at home from Mathurin.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I feel like this should be a good game to get everyone back on track
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:05 am Spiff, im feelin a big game today back at home from Mathurin.
Same here.

I gotta say, a few weeks back Benn looked like almost a shoo-in for Pac POY, but that’s changed. Still a lot of Pac games left, but he’s gonna need to step it up the next few weeks to get back in the race. Good ole Terrell Brown is having a heck of a year for the Huskies, also ucla’s guards, Richardson on Oregon, and call me crazy but I don’t think Tubelis is entirely out of the running yet.