Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Dorsey

Post by scumdevils86 »

Anyone hear anything??
Longhorned

Re: Dorsey

Post by Longhorned »

I know from his tweets and stuff that he's looking forward to being a Wildcat. Hear anything about what?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:I know from his tweets and stuff that he's looking forward to being a Wildcat. Hear anything about what?
I'm curious about what he had for lunch.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I know from his tweets and stuff that he's looking forward to being a Wildcat. Hear anything about what?
I don't know, he was going on about some kind of confit of three separate meats with the unctuousness and savory quality balanced by light acidic notes and natural sweetness from citrus. Why?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
I don't know, he was going on about some kind of confit of three separate meats with the unctuousness and savory quality balanced by light acidic notes and natural sweetness from citrus. Why?
Must've gotten an advance on his stipend.
Right where I want to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Anyone hear anything??
Are you referring to the MAO-TOS premium thread?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

Anyone curious as to why we just offered another shooting guard?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

salim'sheadband wrote:Anyone curious as to why we just offered another shooting guard?
Cause you can never have enough shooters? And you never know who's gonna go pro?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Yorkshire turning pro confirmed
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

Alieberman wrote:
salim'sheadband wrote:Anyone curious as to why we just offered another shooting guard?
Cause you can never have enough shooters? And you never know who's gonna go pro?
Sure :)
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

salim'sheadband wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Sure :)
Well I don't know!

Should we be worried that we just offered one of the best shooting guards in the country?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You see? Mr. A. Lieberman is indispensable to those who know how to read into a good old "Well I don't know!" exclamation.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

What shooting guard did we just offer?
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Harvey Specter wrote:What shooting guard did we just offer?
Allonzo Trier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

... and Allonzo Trier is one hell of a shooting guard.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

There have been a lot of questions about premium at Wildcat Authority the past couple of days. If you want to see how it works, this is a good example. I'm not going "get premium" on you. Just a good example is all.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Something about Dorsey doesn't smell right. Might be the shoes.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Longhorned wrote:... and Allonzo Trier is one hell of a shooting guard.
Interesting stroke mechs. Little squig-out with the elbow, but probably doesn't affect his accuracy. Mean, quick release. Nice first step. Hope we can get him.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Trier? I barely know her!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:There have been a lot of questions about premium at Wildcat Authority the past couple of days. If you want to see how it works, this is a good example. I'm not going "get premium" on you. Just a good example is all.
Example of what?
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

gumby wrote:Trier? I barely know her!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Classssic!

I've had a mysterious, empty feeling the last couple of weeks----walking around filled to the brim with ennui. Now I know what I was missing.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Sounds like a shaky situation
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:There have been a lot of questions about premium at Wildcat Authority the past couple of days. If you want to see how it works, this is a good example. I'm not going "get premium" on you. Just a good example is all.
Example of what?
An example of what one wouldn't call "journalism", but an example of what one gets for one's paid subscription, which in this case is the kind of communication that throws light on what's happening with Dorsey, once one learns the new language.
gumby

Post by gumby »

So there's a reason this is in the Dorsey thread, or I don't speak the lingo.
CryptoCat

Post by CryptoCat »

It would seem that CSM may be trying to paint a picture for Dorsey that Dorsey should evaluate other options.

I think it's distasteful, but it is what it is. At this point I doubt Dorsey ends up a cat.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

CryptoCat wrote:It would seem that CSM may be trying to paint a picture for Dorsey that Dorsey should evaluate other options.

I think it's distasteful, but it is what it is. At this point I doubt Dorsey ends up a cat.
The recruits aren't always victims in these situations. If Arizona and Dorsey part ways it won't be due to Dorsey not being seen as good enough like with the Howland/Williams situation.
CryptoCat

Post by CryptoCat »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:
CryptoCat wrote:It would seem that CSM may be trying to paint a picture for Dorsey that Dorsey should evaluate other options.

The recruits aren't always victims in these situations. If Arizona and Dorsey part ways it won't be due to Dorsey not being seen as good enough like with the Howland/Williams situation.
No, but I think it could be seen as a "you went back on your word here" situation...
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:So there's a reason this is in the Dorsey thread, or I don't speak the lingo.
Longhorned wrote:Okay, I've assumed I understand this basic term in college basketball recruiting, but maybe I don't.

Please correct me where I'm wrong:

Unlike what used to be the case, an offer is not an "offer" in the sense that a program offers an athletic scholarship to a recruit. Instead, it means about as much as a hair flip in a bar, in the sense that there's enough interest to show the recruit some degree of temporary interest, but it's really about as far away from a scholarship offer as a hair flip is away from a marriage proposal.

The recruit goes on to collect these offers like a nine-year old collects small paper hearts on Valentine's Day, showing the chubby, freckled kid just how much more his own wicker basket flows over with little pink hearts scribbled over with names like "Tina", "Dana", and "Maurice."

"Maurice??!!" He shouts, stopping himself in his tracks, and then looks around the room with an embarrassed smile while wadding up the valentine and hiding it in his shorts.

For the offer to mean anything at all, it has to be followed by -- at minimum -- months of aggressive recruiting by the offering program's coaching staff. Otherwise, the recruit must look elsewhere for the right fit.

So it would never happen that a recruit receives an offer, and then suddenly says, "Okay! I accept your offer of an athletic scholarship. I'm signing right now, so see you in the fall of 2014." Even if it did happen, the coaches would have to say, "Listen kid, this is just an offer. We're not even exactly sure if you play basketball, so keep your underwear on and go ask that motorcycle cop over there for a stick of gum."

Tell me where I have this wrong.
TucsonClip wrote:If I were a coach I would do the same. Kids string along programs all the time, they also "decommit" all the time. Its only right that a coach can offer a scholarship to show intent, but not accept a commitment.
Longhorned wrote:So I have it right, then? An offer is made that, if accepted by the offered party, the offering party will reject the offered party's acceptance.

"Come to my party!"

"Okay!"

"You're not invited!"
gumby wrote:More like:

"I'm thinking of throwing a party."

"Really?"

"Yeah, but I haven't made up my mind."

"I see. So why are you bugging me about this?"

"Well, if I were to have this party, I might invite you."

"Um, OK. Get back to me when you decide."

"So, you would go?"

"To what?"

"My party."

"When is it?"

"I haven't decided to have one yet."

"Are you going to have one or not?"

"That depends."

"On what?"

"On whether you'll be flipping your hair any time soon."

"I'm definitely doing that."

"To whom?"

"Haven't decided yet."

"I see ... could you pass me the nuts."

"I'm not done with them."

"You like nuts? Because if I were to have a party, it would have your favorite nuts."

"How do you know what nuts I like?"

"Pass the nuts, and mystery solved."

"So where would this party be if you were to have a party?"

"Arizona. Reason I'm asking now is that it would be a shame to accept an invitation elsewhere, when I'm gonna have the finest nuts and ... have you been to Arizona?"

"No. Never been invited."

"Palm trees ... tanned babes ... endless sunshine."

"Sounds good."

"So how about it ... just a little hair flip."

"You know I'm a dude, right?"

"Ha-ha! And a funny one at that."

"OK. {flips hair}. I'll keep my calendar free."

"Cool. Maybe I'll keep you in mind if I decide to throw a party."
CryptoCat

Post by CryptoCat »

I think I just died a little inside.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

CryptoCat wrote:
ElGatoBlanco wrote:

No, but I think it could be seen as a "you went back on your word here" situation...
You're aware of the Dorsey decommitment rumors from the past few months correct? Tell me the last "committed" basketball recruit that had to verify their commitment publicly months after the fact. If someone went back on their word first it wasn't Sean Miller.

I think you're only seeing this situation from the Sean Miller is the devil point of view when there are other POVs to consider here that are more realistic to the situation.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Is it finally true?

[youtube]KVtcp8XHhOo[/youtube]
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:So there's a reason this is in the Dorsey thread, or I don't speak the lingo.
Longhorned wrote:Okay, I've assumed I understand this basic term in college basketball recruiting, but maybe I don't.

Please correct me where I'm wrong:

Unlike what used to be the case, an offer is not an "offer" in the sense that a program offers an athletic scholarship to a recruit. Instead, it means about as much as a hair flip in a bar, in the sense that there's enough interest to show the recruit some degree of temporary interest, but it's really about as far away from a scholarship offer as a hair flip is away from a marriage proposal.

The recruit goes on to collect these offers like a nine-year old collects small paper hearts on Valentine's Day, showing the chubby, freckled kid just how much more his own wicker basket flows over with little pink hearts scribbled over with names like "Tina", "Dana", and "Maurice."

"Maurice??!!" He shouts, stopping himself in his tracks, and then looks around the room with an embarrassed smile while wadding up the valentine and hiding it in his shorts.

For the offer to mean anything at all, it has to be followed by -- at minimum -- months of aggressive recruiting by the offering program's coaching staff. Otherwise, the recruit must look elsewhere for the right fit.

So it would never happen that a recruit receives an offer, and then suddenly says, "Okay! I accept your offer of an athletic scholarship. I'm signing right now, so see you in the fall of 2014." Even if it did happen, the coaches would have to say, "Listen kid, this is just an offer. We're not even exactly sure if you play basketball, so keep your underwear on and go ask that motorcycle cop over there for a stick of gum."

Tell me where I have this wrong.
TucsonClip wrote:If I were a coach I would do the same. Kids string along programs all the time, they also "decommit" all the time. Its only right that a coach can offer a scholarship to show intent, but not accept a commitment.
Longhorned wrote:So I have it right, then? An offer is made that, if accepted by the offered party, the offering party will reject the offered party's acceptance.

"Come to my party!"

"Okay!"

"You're not invited!"
gumby wrote:More like:

"I'm thinking of throwing a party."

"Really?"

"Yeah, but I haven't made up my mind."

"I see. So why are you bugging me about this?"

"Well, if I were to have this party, I might invite you."

"Um, OK. Get back to me when you decide."

"So, you would go?"

"To what?"

"My party."

"When is it?"

"I haven't decided to have one yet."

"Are you going to have one or not?"

"That depends."

"On what?"

"On whether you'll be flipping your hair any time soon."

"I'm definitely doing that."

"To whom?"

"Haven't decided yet."

"I see ... could you pass me the nuts."

"I'm not done with them."

"You like nuts? Because if I were to have a party, it would have your favorite nuts."

"How do you know what nuts I like?"

"Pass the nuts, and mystery solved."

"So where would this party be if you were to have a party?"

"Arizona. Reason I'm asking now is that it would be a shame to accept an invitation elsewhere, when I'm gonna have the finest nuts and ... have you been to Arizona?"

"No. Never been invited."

"Palm trees ... tanned babes ... endless sunshine."

"Sounds good."

"So how about it ... just a little hair flip."

"You know I'm a dude, right?"

"Ha-ha! And a funny one at that."

"OK. {flips hair}. I'll keep my calendar free."

"Cool. Maybe I'll keep you in mind if I decide to throw a party."
Man, if that isn't Premium, then my name is Ethyl.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

gumby wrote:Man, if that isn't Premium, then my name is Ethyl.
I think I just died a little inside.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Obviously, Dorsey got a first hand look at some of the competition (Simon, and 'maybe' Trier, or 'maybe' Briscoe') he will have to compete with for playing time at Arizona . He also got to experience a taste of coach Millers teaching style and how he would have to adapt. I'm guessing we will find out sooner rather than later if Dorsey has a change of heart.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

CatnapTom wrote:Obviously, Dorsey got a first hand look at some of the competition (Simon, and 'maybe' Trier, or 'maybe' Briscoe') he will have to compete with for playing time at Arizona . He also got to experience a taste of coach Millers teaching style and how he would have to adapt. I'm guessing we will find out sooner rather than later if Dorsey has a change of heart.
Yup. If he is scared of competition, he knows where the door is.
etank34

Post by etank34 »

If (when?) Dorsey doesn't end up a wildcat it won't be because Miller did anything wrong or bad.
Dkenner

Post by Dkenner »

Multiple sources have told http://Scout.com that Tyler Dorsey and Arizona have parted ways.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

AZ Wildcat Country ‏@Wildcat_Country 16m
[tweet]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Five-star 2015 guard Tyler Dorsey has released a statement and he is no longer commit[/tweet]

Why is embed tweet not working for me?
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

At least it sounds like there is no bad blood between Dorsey and Miller. On to the next one.
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Briscoe or Trier ...... UA is in a can't lose situation. Glad to see this was handled in a mature manner.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Link to Dorsey decommit statement ......

pic.twitter.com/90ya9wgFxC

I guess you'll need to copy/paste

......sorry
:(
Last edited by CatnapTom on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... om-arizona

It's been about 5 months since I decided to accept a scholarship offer to the University of Arizona.

In those 5 months, I have learned a lot about that decision as well as the importance, pressure and scrutiny of making such a major educational and career choice.

As much as I love the Arizona basketball program as well as the awesome Wildcat fans and highly respect Head Coach Sean Miller and the entire Arizona staff, I realize that, in hindsight, I rushed my college choice and did not provide myself with the greatest opportunity to explore and thoroughly investigate all my possible college options.

After very careful personal reflection and discussing this issue in depth with my parents, I feel I owe it to myself to open up my recruiting at this time and fully experience the recruiting process in order to allow myself to make the best possible choice for my future. I am pleased that Coach Miller understands and respects my decision to do this and hope that Arizona will continue to be a college option for me.

I believe that I am entitled to make sure that my ultimate college choice will provide me with the best possible experience and opportunity to maximize my potential as a player, student and person.

I know there are some in the media, Arizona fan base and public that will criticize this deeply personal decision. But I hope that most will realize and respect my right to do what I feel is best for my basketball and academic career.

Thank you for your understanding.

Tyler Dorsey

Dinos Trigonis said he expects schools like UConn, Kansas, Duke, UCLA, Washington, Cal, Arizona State, Louisville, Texas, SMU, UNLV, Marquette, St. John's, Florida State, Oregon, Oregon State and Tulsa to get involved now that Dorsey is back on the market.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Motacat

Post by Motacat »

This might have been a bigger deal a few years ago, but at this juncture, CSM appears to have his bases covered. Color me unconcerned.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

At least he didn't say anything bad about Miller and the program.
Who gets a spot in the class who ever commits first between Briscoe and Trier? Or do the coaches have a preference between the two.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:AZ Wildcat Country ‏@Wildcat_Country 16m
[tweet]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Five-star 2015 guard Tyler Dorsey has released a statement and he is no longer commit[/tweet]

Copy the entire link, not just embed link.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

JMarkJohns wrote:
77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:AZ Wildcat Country ‏@Wildcat_Country 16m

Copy the entire link, not just embed link.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Something was just not right from the time of the commitment until now. Looking forward to who Miller gets as a replacement which will probably be a better fit regardless.

Get it done Coach!!!