Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by dmjcat »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:26 pm Since they started with the early projections of the probable 1 seeds, no second overall projected 1 seed has ever missed being a 1 seed.

A couple times the fourth #1 lost its grip and once the third overall team lost its 1 seed so when 97 says we are close to wrapping it up, well he has historical evidence as we are likely the overall #2 after this weekend.

Could we lose, sure. The issue is that there is a mountain of evidence that we won’t and even if we do (as many of those teams above lost as well), so will those right behind the top 4 seeds.

So out of 20 (5 years of 1 seeds) teams, only about 3 were displaced at this point of the season and none were the projected 1 and 2 overall top seeds.

azcat49: Have any of those #1 seeds lost 2 games less than 2 weeks out from the end of the regular season....with one of the losses coming to a team with a Net ranking of 122?? (and the other loss to a non-tournament team)?? I doubt it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:23 pm
azcat49 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:26 pm Since they started with the early projections of the probable 1 seeds, no second overall projected 1 seed has ever missed being a 1 seed.

A couple times the fourth #1 lost its grip and once the third overall team lost its 1 seed so when 97 says we are close to wrapping it up, well he has historical evidence as we are likely the overall #2 after this weekend.

Could we lose, sure. The issue is that there is a mountain of evidence that we won’t and even if we do (as many of those teams above lost as well), so will those right behind the top 4 seeds.

So out of 20 (5 years of 1 seeds) teams, only about 3 were displaced at this point of the season and none were the projected 1 and 2 overall top seeds.

azcat49: Have any of those #1 seeds lost 2 games less than 2 weeks out from the end of the regular season....with one of the losses coming to a team with a Net ranking of 122?? (and the other loss to a non-tournament team)?? I doubt it.
You can’t do your own research?

Maybe instead of being the board contrarian you could acknowledge that in that single post azcat49 brought more to this board than you ever have or could.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Kansas had 7 losses one year and had a loss to a terrible Oklahoma St in late February and kept their one seed.

Anything is possible but I think was the historical evidence shows is that teams that get you to this point of the year tend to finish things and it’s just as likely if say AZ Loses that the teams behind them also drop a game or two as well.

To me the committee is rewarding the body of work over the whole year and not penalizing a team for a clunker of a game where they were upset.

As I said the evidence seems to point to that if we go at least 3-2 down the stretch that we have a good chance of holding on to the 1 seed. Let’s just win them all though and savor a well earned top seed
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If you are interested in what happens to PAC teams when they lose to inferior opponents just look at the rankings of UCLA when they lost to ASU or Oregon when they lost to ASU. Oregon went from in the tourney as a 10 seed to completely out. UCLA dropped how many in the polls? I think they went from a two seed to a 4 seed. That is as relevant as what happened in previous years when you don't know their records after the seeding right?
If you think we can lose 2 more games in conference and still be a number one seed good for you. I am not a contrarian I have seen what happens to teams that lose in leagues that aren't valued. Maybe it is my imagination but PAC teams get hurt when they lose in conference more than others. I think this stems from the initial rating/ranking they receive when the season starts. When you play ranked teams and lose it doesn't hurt you.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:36 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:24 pm
Alieberman wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:29 pm Here's the silver lining:

When AZ finishes the season without another loss everyone can claim that they were right.
Ahem, I get to claim causation for sacrificing my RAP prospects. Don't youse guys understand how this really works?
Your RAP, my underwear.... we all play a part....
I've been wearing the same outfit to watch or listen to the games since UCLA loss, in fact, we were at a birthday party during the Washington game, I was listening to it in the car driving home, and when we got back, I ran in and changed into my game outfit with about 7 min left in the first half. We had started the run but weren't caught up yet.

Not claiming any responsibility for the outcome.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think it’s a moot point as I doubt we drop two but if we do I still think we are treated as a top 4 due to our body of work. Going to be fun to watch the next 5
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:25 pm I think it’s a moot point as I doubt we drop two but if we go I still think we are treated as a top 4 due to our body of work. Going to be fun to watch the next 5
agree - one at a time Utah is not good but the Huntsman Center will be loud and nasty thats for sure.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

dmjcat wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:23 pm

You've been doing this thing for weeks and months now.

You're running out of teams to concern troll and strawman with.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:53 pm

When AZ finishes the season without another loss everyone can claim that they were right.
Ahem, I get to claim causation for sacrificing my RAP prospects. Don't youse guys understand how this really works?
I've been wearing the same outfit to watch or listen to the games since UCLA loss, in fact, we were at a birthday party during the Washington game, I was listening to it in the car driving home, and when we got back, I ran in and changed into my game outfit with about 7 min left in the first half. We had started the run but weren't caught up yet.

Not claiming any responsibility for the outcome.
Nonsense. It's a team effort. Keep it up.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

I was and still am surprised Baylor is a 2 seed.

Texas tech deserves it over them.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:42 pm

You lead, I follow. I live to serve.
You don't need to cow toe to him.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

list of team i do not want to see in Arizona's bracket

Texas Tech
Arkansas
Kentucky
Duke
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:49 am list of team i do not want to see in Arizona's bracket

Texas Tech
Arkansas
Kentucky
Duke
I am guessing you are not including Auburn, Gonzaga and Kansas since they will probably be the other 3 #1s?

Your list does look like scary teams to face and I agree with all of them
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:55 am
97cats wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:49 am list of team i do not want to see in Arizona's bracket

Texas Tech
Arkansas
Kentucky
Duke
I am guessing you are not including Auburn, Gonzaga and Kansas since they will probably be the other 3 #1s?

yes i am considering match-ups that as of today would include teams not projected #1 as of 2.23.22

Arkansas is long and fast and plays very aggressive punch you in the mouth style - they have a really funky loose cannon for a coach and they are the epitome of weird. very tough and strong on the perimeter. no thx

Texas Tech is the best defensive team in the nation with what i would consider the best defensive coach in the country (Mark Adams) who has a group of experienced and tough-ass players with something to prove after their coach bolted. Adams adjusts and game plans on defense better than any coach in the business for my money the question always is can they score enough? Adams has physical long players at the top and are very aggressive and love to initiate physicality - think Wichita State in 2016 but tougher.

Kentucky in my opinion has the best collection of talent in the country when healthy and the best coach this season for the NCAA Tournament set-up, imo. match-up nightmare with Chris Webber 2.0 on the block - HARD pass

Duke is the team everyone in the field wants to avoid - a Coach K swan-song is 100% gonna happen and the longer they advance the harder it is going to be to eliminate them, for any team, especially if they get in the EAST and get to Philly, the site of so many ghosts of tournament successes past for the Devils. i want no part of that.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The team that scares me that will be ranked lower and we might see sooner is Iowa. They got guys that can just go off from three and that is the kind of bullshit that can sink you. My hope is undefeated the rest of the way till the tourney. There are some challenges with that but hopefully we can pull off another 5 straight. Do you know when we will be crowned the PAC champs? I am flying in to see the last game of the season and was hoping to see some type of coronation. BTFD wildcats and take this home.
Last edited by TheCat on Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:08 am

Texas Tech
Arkansas
Kentucky
Duke

yes i am considering match-ups that as of today would include teams not projected #1 as of 2.23.22

Arkansas is long and fast and plays very aggressive punch you in the mouth style - they have a really funky loose cannon for a coach and they are the epitome of weird. very tough and strong on the perimeter. no thx

Texas Tech is the best defensive team in the nation with what i would consider the best defensive coach in the country (Mark Adams) who has a group of experienced and tough-ass players with something to prove after their coach bolted. Adams adjusts and game plans on defense better than any coach in the business for my money the question always is can they score enough? Adams has physical long players at the top and are very aggressive and love to initiate physicality - think Wichita State in 2016 but tougher.

Kentucky in my opinion has the best collection of talent in the country when healthy and the best coach this season for the NCAA Tournament set-up, imo. match-up nightmare with Chris Webber 2.0 on the block - HARD pass

Duke is the team everyone in the field wants to avoid - a Coach K swan-song is 100% gonna happen and the longer they advance the harder it is going to be to eliminate them, for any team, especially if they get in the EAST and get to Philly, the site of so many ghosts of tournament successes past for the Devils. i want no part of that.
Great stuff as usual, 97.

I suppose I'd just say: our guys are just as long, fast and tough as these four. Of the ones you've listed here, I'd say Kentucky is the scariest because that roster is just loaded.

Man, it's taking forever for March to get here!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

With the latest updates from most of the brackets, the matrix puts Arizona as the top overall seed as of today.

Which is completely awesome and amazing to be considering how we all felt in mid April.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

97cats wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:08 am

Texas Tech
Arkansas
Kentucky
Duke

Man this is good. I'd like to see the same kind of objective analysis of Arizona.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Gonzaga's last two games of the regular season are this week.

Both on the road at San Francisco and at St Mary's. Our only chance to overtake them if they take a loss in one.

The longer this season goes on, the more I'm mad the game at Gonzaga this year was cancelled. I doubt it ever get rescheduled because coaching friends/family don't like coaching against each other just like that Arizona/Indiana Miller bowl never happened.

Even if we got our asses kicked there, it would've been a good learning experience.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I still maintain that the zags are the best overall team in the field and Arizona is right behind them.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Ari's complete list of teams that can win it all this year:

Gonzaga
Arizona
Kentucky
Auburn
Kansas
Duke
Texas Tech
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:58 pm Ari's complete list of teams that can win it all this year:

Gonzaga
Arizona
Kentucky
Auburn
Kansas
Duke
Texas Tech
Ucla at full strength needs to be added imo
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:57 pm
Alieberman wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:58 pm Ari's complete list of teams that can win it all this year:

Gonzaga
Arizona
Kentucky
Auburn
Kansas
Duke
Texas Tech
I understand having UCLA on your list... but they are not on mine
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:08 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:57 pm

Gonzaga
Arizona
Kentucky
Auburn
Kansas
Duke
Texas Tech
I understand having UCLA on your list... but they are not on mine
Fuck that. Put them on yours.

Arizona is the only one on mine
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Have to admit that UCLA is playing much better the last few games. They will be a handful for some team.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Also, if you put Duke on your list, you have to put Virginia on your list. And that leads to a lot of other teams being on the list. So it's probably easier to just leave them off.

Cause Duke is probably gonna lose in the second round. That's not enough wins to get a natty.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

No longer scared of Paolo, he's been ass for a while now.

His shooting, driving and all around offense has been broken. He looks like he solely relies on his size to bully his way inside driving.

If he keeps playing like this, Duke isn't going far. AJ Griffin isn't good enough to carry them.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Five first rounders my heiney!
-Norlander.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Pretty cool website to compare tourney resumes.

For anyone interested

www.bracketologists.com
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:37 am Pretty cool website to compare tourney resumes.

For anyone interested

www.bracketologists.com
Awesome site. Thanks

Even has code you can paste here

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Gonzaga has played only 4 true road games?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Pass the pipe Bill
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The entire Big 10 is going to flame out early in the tournament... again
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:09 pm The entire Big 10 is going to flame out early in the tournament... again
happens every year, was Michigan State in 2000 the last BIG10 champ? lots of top seeds since that time.....
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just one request from the committee. PLEASE keep Murray St off the 8 or 9 line and out of our regional. They are going to be trouble for some top seed in the round of 32.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:10 pm Just one request from the committee. PLEASE keep Murray St off the 8 or 9 line and out of our regional. They are going to be trouble for some top seed in the round of 32.
Murray State is in my second Four of teams i dont want (just missed the cut)
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

If we get seeded with Wyoming, Tennessee, and Illinois - I will go ballistic. The tournament should do a whole lot less of these "well we saw them match up once this season, let's see how round two plays out!" storyline seeds.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Murray St is ranked 19th, is 22 in net and brackets has them as a 9. They are way better than that.

They would beat St Mary’s and then take Kansas to the wire. They are a legit 6 seed who will be underseeded by the committee
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

2022 Murray State = 2018 Buffalo
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

SIR!!!!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:47 am 2022 Murray State = 2018 Buffalo
They have 1 big stud I saw on the highlights last night but their team is one of those dangerous mid-majors that on any given night they can beat anyone.

Hate those teams..
97cats

Post by 97cats »

and they have tough guards which is something that always plays well in March
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

97cats wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:26 pm and they have tough guards which is something that always plays well in March
Why do you have to ruin my good vibes?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Gonzaga and Arizona have separated at the top of the seed list, nearly clinching N°1 seeds prior to their respective conference tournaments
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:30 pm
Gonzaga and Arizona have separated at the top of the seed list, nearly clinching N°1 seeds prior to their respective conference tournaments
There is a certain poster here who has been screaming this exact same thing for a while now....
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:39 pm
RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:30 pm
There is a certain poster here who has been screaming this exact same thing for a while now....
97cats

Post by 97cats »

you guys are great - win tomorrow and its locked up put it in the freezer.

nineteen games in the top 25 and four against teams ranked in the top 25 - lots will be settled by around 11pm PST - ill update the list then.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

97cats wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:53 pm you guys are great - win tomorrow and its locked up put it in the freezer.

nineteen games in the top 25 and four against teams ranked in the top 25 - lots will be settled by around 11pm PST - ill update the list then.
Oh, I can just copy and paste from the Benn Mathurin thread. TY!