Official Bracketology Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:04 pm Late March in Tucson would be awesome, in the Midwest, not so much. Which was it Chi?
Hacienda del Sol.

Got married under a beautiful old orange tree in the courtyard then dined and danced the night away overlooking the lights of the Old Pueblo.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:15 pm I had a rehearsal dinner I had to go to during the Arizona UConn Elite 8 game. I spent a good chunk of that night at the restaurant bar. I lost a friend over that

My biggest regret is Horne missing that shot
And that shot looked so good off of his hands...
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:16 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:04 pm Late March in Tucson would be awesome, in the Midwest, not so much. Which was it Chi?
Hacienda del Sol.

Got married under a beautiful old orange tree in the courtyard then dined and danced the night away overlooking the lights of the Old Pueblo.
That's all nice and everything...but are we all crashing at your place?

:lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Trust me, you’d rather stay in the city… even with the 3000% crime rate and tourist life expectancy of under 10 minutes.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:59 pm
Longhorned wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:40 pm If I can change my birthday from June to January
Since your family made up your last name out of literal thin air, this is unsurprising.
Longhorned wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:40 pm you can change your wedding anniversary from March to September.
Look, I get it. And I’m down. But I’m going to need you to explain that to my wife.
I'll make a deep voice and identify myself as Larry from Witness Protection. I'll explain it's a matter of being witness to her husband's disappointment every March. She's welcome to keep her name, address, family, friends, and job, but the wedding anniversary has to go.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I love AZ hoops.

97cats

Post by 97cats »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:33 pm

That's all nice and everything...but are we all crashing at your place?

:lol:

i have a room at the Ritz and one at the Gwen already booked in preparation - i will pick depending how snotty i feel that week. :lol:
Chicat wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:51 pm Trust me, you’d rather stay in the city… even with the 3000% crime rate and tourist life expectancy of under 10 minutes.
i'll be taking my chances!!!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So you all are thinking AZ will be in the Midwest as the 1 seed and will play in the San Diego pod and then in Chicago?

Fun places but you have to think that Illinois will be in the Midwest and will play in front of a home crowd. We have seen that movie before and it sucked.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:36 pm So you all are thinking AZ will be in the Midwest as the 1 seed and will play in the San Diego pod and then in Chicago?

Fun places but you have to think that Illinois will be in the Midwest and will play in front of a home crowd. We have seen that movie before and it sucked.
been saying for weeks that (Illinois in Midwest bracket) is one of the major do not wants along with Arkansas and Tech ...i will say this, Illinois in Chicago again would almost be too perfect to exorcise what many feel are the root of many AZ daemons.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

No doubt it would be a great feeling but what a joke for a non Duke(they always get treated well) team to play basically a home game to get to the FF.

Have to wonder when TMobile Arena will host a regional final. We better be in the west bracket when that happens
97cats

Post by 97cats »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:21 pm No doubt it would be a great feeling but what a joke for a non Duke(they always get treated well) team to play basically a home game to get to the FF.

Have to wonder when TMobile Arena will host a regional final. We better be in the west bracket when that happens
i actually think the Final Four is coming back to Phoenix in the next few years so look out for that, might be good timing....and i dont think Illinois will be in the Midwest, i do believe they will be in the East or the South, but its still one of my biggest fears cause Illinois fan in Chicago could be a lot to handle :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:36 pm So you all are thinking AZ will be in the Midwest as the 1 seed and will play in the San Diego pod and then in Chicago?

Have you ever heard of a little movie called The Empire Strikes Back? I hear it’s pretty good…
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Fuck Illinois
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Are we the evil empire? I was hoping for, The return of the Jedi starring Tommy Lloyd.

I hope Illinois is shipped out of the Midwest. No team should have that kind of advantage. Baylor in San Antonio is almost to close although that might be in the dome where it is less of an advantage.
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I honestly don't know if I could watch a tourney game vs Illinois in Chicago without throwing up from nervousness and anxiety
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:45 pm Are we the evil empire? I was hoping for, The return of the Jedi starring Tommy Lloyd.

I hope Illinois is shipped out of the Midwest. No team should have that kind of advantage. Baylor in San Antonio is almost to close although that might be in the dome where it is less of an advantage.
Whatever floats your Star Destroyer my man.

Either Wisconsin or Illinois will be in the Midwest. Both fan bases will fill up the United Center.

There are no easy paths.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:46 pm I honestly don't know if I could watch a tourney game vs Illinois in Chicago without throwing up from nervousness and anxiety
i mean its up there for best place to see live AZ advance to its first Final Four since 2001 if in fact Duke or Illinois happen to be the team Lloyd and AZ would face
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Whatever happens, it's gonna suck. Embrace the suck.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Just no. Putting Illinois in the midwest is just a big FU to all involved.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:38 am This isn't a surprise, our games turn into AAU games when we have a huge lead

Hate to say it but there's a chance of 2005 Illinois happening to us again
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:04 pm
RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:38 am This isn't a surprise, our games turn into AAU games when we have a huge lead

Hate to say it but there's a chance of 2005 Illinois happening to us again
I love that graph!!! It tells me that we had way, way more “garbage time” possessions than anyone else!!!

BTW, this year’s Illinois team is not at all like the 2005 team!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The clown has spoken:

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:27 pm

BTW, this year’s Illinois team is not at all like the 2005 team!
Well, they have scrappy guards and can shoot the 3 like no one’s business. Oh, and they have Kofi. So maybe not that much like the ‘05 team, but still dangerous af, imo. Illinois can get to the FF.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

If there is any year that I feel confident we will exercise any "past demons" it is this year.

Look, when the selections are made I fully expect some teams will provide match-up concerns. But I feel pretty good that CTL's 20 years at Gonzaga will come in handy on how to deal with those situations. Just want everyone healthy - if so I like where we are.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Olsondogg wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:17 pm The clown has spoken:

He's been consistent lol (1min 20 secs)

This was before Wisconsin was Nebrasketball'd all over their faces
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

This has actually good bracket makers from bracket matrix. Including past champions.

SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:21 pm No doubt it would be a great feeling but what a joke for a non Duke(they always get treated well) team to play basically a home game to get to the FF.

TMobile is hosting the regional final next year. Also, I saw your other post about San Antonio and the regional finals are being played at the Spurs arena and not the Alamodome.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:36 pmSo you all are thinking AZ will be in the Midwest as the 1 seed and will play in the San Diego pod and then in Chicago?
Just waiting to book my flight! I didn't even realize the first weekend for the midwest is in SD. I was planning on a trip to Texas :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:18 pm
azcat49 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:36 pmSo you all are thinking AZ will be in the Midwest as the 1 seed and will play in the San Diego pod and then in Chicago?
Just waiting to book my flight! I didn't even realize the first weekend for the midwest is in SD. I was planning on a trip to Texas :lol:
First weekend is as close to Tucson as possible no matter which region the Cats are in.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Jefe wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:18 pm
i took a chance - tickets and flight purchased & hotel booked in Chicago.

i know its going to be bat-shit crazy in Chicago for all this stuff once it starts getting closer...if Arizona is not in the midwest i can always re-sell the tickets i purchased today at a much higher cost and reinvest the inflated number to the correct region and correct location and use the flight credit to get me there.

hotel i booked allows me to cancel up until the 23rd of March.

i am committed and not backing down!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

You guys go all out.

All I did was grab a beer with machina at the pac tourney a few years ago.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Palm thinks that AZ needs to win the P12 tourney to stay on the one line.

I disagree somewhat. If some combination of Auburn/Kentucky/Baylor/Kansas get upset by lower seeds in their tournaments I think that AZ can sew up a #1 seed if we get by the first round.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ournament/

"Arizona probably has to win the Pac-12 to stay on the top line. The Wildcats picked up a couple of nice nonconference wins, but the overall quality of their victories will make it hard to stay on top if they go down in Las Vegas."
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmj thinks that if we don't win the PAC-12 tourney we're a bubble team.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

As much as I don't want us to be in the East, I am about an hour from Philly so it would be the least expensive way to see us play in the tournament.
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

azgreg wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:09 pm dmj thinks that if we don't win the PAC-12 tourney we're a bubble team.
You lost me at, "dmj thinks".
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Not to ruin the Windy City party-

But do you all think we get the South if we win PAC tournament and Baylor does not win Big 12?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:15 am Not to ruin the Windy City party-

But do you all think we get the South if we win PAC tournament and Baylor does not win Big 12?
Yes. I think Kansas would get the Midwest if they win the Big12, Auburn would get the East, and we’d get the South.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Oh crap - and I was about to book today...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I still think the best bet is the Midwest bracket. Kansas is really the only other potential one-seed I can see who could lay claim to that region.

Speaking of Kansas, where is enfuego? It’s like he only wants to talk shit when Arizona is demonstrably worse than his Jaychickens…
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Chicat wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:26 am I still think the best bet is the Midwest bracket. Kansas is really the only other potential one-seed I can see who could lay claim to that region.

Speaking of Kansas, where is enfuego? It’s like he only wants to talk shit when Arizona is demonstrably worse than his Jaychickens…
I think Kansas is going to get the East of they're a #1 seed no matter what because they would be the weakest #1 seed and have last choice.

Auburn if they had stayed above us like earlier in the season wanted the Midwest because Chicago is actually closer to them than San Antonio.

Only chance now for the South region is if Baylor falls apart.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

East and Philly would be better for me...but then I'd miss all that Chicago "excitement".

:D
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:39 am
Chicat wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:26 am I still think the best bet is the Midwest bracket. Kansas is really the only other potential one-seed I can see who could lay claim to that region.

I think Kansas is going to get the East of they're a #1 seed no matter what because they would be the weakest #1 seed and have last choice.

Auburn if they had stayed above us like earlier in the season wanted the Midwest because Chicago is actually closer to them than San Antonio.

Only chance now for the South region is if Baylor falls apart.
I think only the overall #1 seed gets to pick their region.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Chicat wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:05 am I think only the overall #1 seed gets to pick their region.
Yeah but the committee tries to place the teams as close to home as possible. For example, they're not sticking us in the east no matter what.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

So ifArizona gets pushed off the line then they're the 2 in the west, right? How is that fair to Gonzaga? You'd potentially be given them the hardest path to the final four despite being the #1OA seed.

Also

Gonzaga:
UCLA (neutral)
TTech (neutral)
Texas (home)
St. Mary's (home)
St. Mary's (neutral)

Arizona -
@ Illinois
UCLA (home)
USC (home)
USC (road)
Wyoming (home)
Michigan (neutral)

Are those really all that different?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RaisingArizona wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:14 am So ifArizona gets pushed off the line then they're the 2 in the west, right? How is that fair to Gonzaga? You'd potentially be given them the hardest path to the final four despite being the #1OA seed.

Also

Gonzaga:
UCLA (neutral)
TTech (neutral)
Texas (home)
St. Mary's (home)
St. Mary's (neutral)

Arizona -
@ Illinois
UCLA (home)
USC (home)
USC (road)
Wyoming (home)
Michigan (neutral)

Are those really all that different?
We're locked into the #1 seed
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RaisingArizona wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:14 am So ifArizona gets pushed off the line then they're the 2 in the west, right?
Not happening. However, let's say we lose tomorrow and the committee listens to Goodman and makes us a 2 seed. If the Zags are the overall 1 seed we would need to be the 4th 2 seed to play in the West.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:08 am
Chicat wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:05 am I think only the overall #1 seed gets to pick their region.
Yeah but the committee tries to place the teams as close to home as possible. For example, they're not sticking us in the east no matter what.
True, but they take into account how easy it is for the relative fanbases to be at the games. Kansas fans are all over Chicago/St. Louis/Milwaukee/etc. So it’s not necessarily just distance to campus.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

That's were overall seeds rankings matter, Arizona is and will be above Kansas. So they're considerations will be placed above Kansas'

Anyway, hard to see Baylor not getting the #1 and it being placed in the south

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

You know we're either getting Wisconsin or Illinois in our region. It's happening.